PDA

View Full Version : Polearm Master - Monk

quark12000
2019-02-04, 08:51 AM
Do you think it is worth it to take PAM when using a quarterstaff or spear as a Monk? Yes, you get the bonus action attack, but you can already use that for an unarmed strike (with higher damage). Is it worth it for the feat just for the second benefit (opportunity attack when someone gets near you)?

nickl_2000
2019-02-04, 08:57 AM
It depends on the situation and the players, but in my opinion no.

Monks usually need a lot of ASIs to get Dex, Con, and Wis decent. Also feats like Mobile are amazing on them. Personally I think PAM will not get you the same benefit as the other possible options.

Rivaler
2019-02-04, 08:58 AM
Not a monk expert, but I think the only thing you'd get out of it would be the opportunity attack on enemy approach, which feels kind of a waste of ASI / feat. Other than that, as you noted, you already get a bonus action attack (which improves with monk levels, contrary to the one you gain from PAM) which is of the same type, unless you have some particular race that turns unarmed strikes' type in slashing.

Conclusion: I don't think it's worth it.

RSP
2019-02-04, 08:58 AM
I wouldn’t take it: as you say, there’s already a better BA Attack baked in to the Monk class. In addition, that Reaction Attack competes with every other feat and, more importantly, having 3 stats that need ASIs: Dex and Wis should be maxed, and then Con for HP.

Taking PAM for the Reaction Attack is a far 2, 3, and 4th begins upping those stats, in my opinion. There are much more worthwhile feats out there as well.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-04, 09:03 AM
As a monk it is usually you that is going to be going to people, so no, not worth it.

I would spend all ASI on stats, if you are a variant human pick a feat that gives a +1 to either Dex or Wis, or even just Tough.

CTurbo
2019-02-04, 09:38 AM
Absolutely not.

There are only a few feats I would ever consider for a Monk and PAM is definitely not one of them.

No feat is worth sacrificing Dex over and arguably Wis too.

Mobile, Observant, Ritual Caster, Lucky, Alert, and Mage Slayer are probably the only ones worth a ASI slot

Skylivedk
2019-02-04, 10:26 AM
Mobile is IMO much much better. It allows you to save KI while boosting your main feature as a fast moving strikeforce that can take out squishies in the back while the rest party in the front.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-04, 10:29 AM
Mobile is IMO much much better. It allows you to save KI while boosting your main feature as a fast moving strikeforce that can take out squishies in the back while the rest party in the front.

Depends on the subclass,

I would not take it on a drunken master, probably not on an open hand.

Debatable on shadow.

Nobody plate 4e.

For long death, sure.

Iffy on sun soul.

Keravath
2019-02-04, 10:43 AM
Nope. Monks are starved for feats. Their AC comes entirely from their stats. Their effects DC is based on wisdom and their to hit/damage is based on dex. If you start with 16 wisdom and dex ... it requires 4 feats to max these to 20 ... add mobile which is very good on a monk and you are at 5 which is all the feats a non-variant human will get ... and the last isn't until level 19 or 20.

Dropping a feat in order to get one attack when a target moves into range just isn't worth what any of the other feats/ASI offer (Especially since you can already take a bonus action attack using martial arts which can be enhanced with flurry of blows (which only works with unarmed strikes anyway) and the martial arts does more damage). I think PAM is a non-starter on a monk.

strangebloke
2019-02-04, 10:44 AM
There's generally two schools of thought with respect to any PAM build.

1: PAM is overpowered! It's great! Learn it, love it, take it! Why are we still talking?

2: PAM is a niche feat that is good for nearly all martial builds, but only truly shines with certain builds or at certain levels (very early or very late.)

I'm solidly in camp 2, for a number of reasons.

The bonus action attack is nice, but unless you're a barbarian or fighter, you probably already have a good use for your bonus action.
Since the quarterstaff cheese is gone, the opportunity cost of using PAM is a bit higher. You get to choose between PAM:(1d10 + 3 + 1d10 + 3 + 1d4 + 3 = 22.5) vs. greatsword:(2d6 + 4 + 2d6 + 4 = 22[but with better +attack])
The reaction is fine, but unless you've got some rider to add to the attack, it's pretty average.
Magic polearms are rare.
The combo with GWM is insane, but a two-feat combo comes on line at level 8 for most characters. VHumans and fighter can get it earlier, but not a whole lot earlier.

Monks are pretty much strictly better off with sentinel or mobile or, well... basically anything else.