PDA

View Full Version : Questions and answers for how different fighter maneuvers works

Shuruke
2019-02-04, 09:05 PM
So in a few campaigns I've played in
And in ones I DM alot of maneuvers are ruled differently.

Things like sweeping strike adding mod to damage

Sweeping strike being re rolled for damage on a 1 or 2 with great weapon style

Sweeping strike and dueling bonus

How different maneuvers work with melee weapons making ranged attacks like daggers and javelins.

I'm not sure if anyone else has questions but I think itd be cool to have a forum going over all the maneuvers and how they are intended to work

djreynolds
2019-02-04, 09:37 PM
Maneuvers, unfortunately, do not use your modifier on damage.

But I like sweeping attack, its like horde breaker, but you actually hit as long as the former attack did. For example, a battlemaster and hunter ranger are surrounded by hobgoblins.

The battle master hits a hobgoblin and spends 1 maneuver to hit his friend but with only 1d8 damage, unsure if you could re-roll 1s and 2s (I would say yes because it is weapon damage)

Now the ranger might hit, and though horde breaker is free, still has to roll again, and might miss and AC18 hobgoblin

I believe the draw back of sweeping attack is that it is melee only, AFB

Shuruke
2019-02-04, 09:41 PM
That's what I was thinking but some lf the others like dis arming and goading I think can be used with range.

So a support heavy crossbow character could be fun

Manuevering strike is covering fire

Commanding strike is you firing and leaving an enemy open

Disrarming , distracting, just sounds like lots of fun. And with crossbow you can afford to forgo an attack for other things cuz unless you take crossbow expert u only get one attack.

Could be fun, not optimal but fun

djreynolds
2019-02-04, 09:55 PM
I really like menacing and goading, they're basically spells if you think about it. Like a single target fear spell with menacing

Trip and disarm are really good

And for an archer, you often do not have a regular BA, so some maneuvers that use your BA are nice.

I prefer longbow over crossbow, if only because it saves on a feat

Shuruke
2019-02-05, 02:41 AM
That makes sense being limited to one attack a turn can hurt