PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Wildking- New Animal/Magical Beast based on Beauty and the Beast

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-04, 10:49 PM
EDIT: Updated stat block in post 7 /Edit

So, I'm a big fan of Disney's Beauty and the Beast... (The animated version(s) is/are better, but I like both a lot.) This weekend I somewhat randomly had a thought: What if the Beast was actually born as a natural lycanthrope and the enchantress's curse was just forcing him to be in his hybrid form all the time?

This theory runs into an immediate problem in that his supposed hybrid form isn't between a human and any one animal that we know of. So if I wanted to stat up Beast using this theory, I'd first have to create an animal for him to be a were- of... After realizing just how harsh the lycantrhope rules are for a build in terms of Hit Die and LA, a decided to look for an alternative way of stating him, but since I already created it here is the hypothetical animal, plus a magical beast version-ish....

The Wildking is an unusual beast to say the least. They have the torso and fore paws of a bear, the hind legs and tail of a wolf. Their head features horns like a buffalo, the jaws and a mane like a lion’s with a boar’s tusks thrown in for good measure. They have the eyes and intellect of a great ape. Their fur ranges from white to brown based on the environment.

WILDKING
Speed: 50 ft
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural)
Attacks: 2 claws +11 melee, bite +6 melee, gore +6 melee
Damage: Claw 1d8+8, bite 1d8+4, gore 1d8+4
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Improved grab
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +6, Ref +6, Will +6
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 8
Skills: Listen +8, Spot +8, Move Silently +7, Hide +4, Climb +10, Swim +10
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, Track (B)
Alignment: -
Advancement: 7-11 HD (Large); 12+ HD (Special: See True Wildking)

Ferocity (Ex): A Wildking is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.
Improved Grab (Ex): When this creature hits with its claws, it attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Scent (Ex): The creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. The creature can pinpoint locations only within 5 feet. This creature can follow tracks by smell with a Wisdom check (DC 10, +2 for every hour the trail is cold).

Probably the most unusual aspect of the Wildking is that when they live long enough, they undergo a rather startling transformation. Over might, it will become tougher and more intelligent, gaining sentience, the ability to speak and understand languages (knowing Sylvan immediately and learning others as they are exposed to them), and the ability to use spell-like abilities. These changes are often accompanied by a shift in the Wildking’s fur color towards golden or red.

TRUE WILDKING
Speed: 50 ft
AC: 15 (+1 Dex, -1 size, +5 natural)
Attacks: Bite +19 melee, 2 claws +14 melee, gore +14 melee
Damage: Bite 1d8+8, claw 1d8+4, gore 1d8+4
Space/Reach: 10 ft/5 ft
Special Attacks: Ferocity, Improved grab
Special Qualities: Darkvision, Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +11
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Balance +2, Intimidate +4, Listen +12, Spot +12, Move Silently +8, Hide +5, Climb +11, Swim +11
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, Track(B), Iron Will, Toughness
Challenge Rating: ?8?
Alignment: Usually True Neutral or Chaotic Good
Darkvision: A Wildking can see with no light source at all, out to a range of 60 feet. Darkvision is black and white only.
Ferocity (Ex): A Wildking is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.
Improved Grab (Ex): When this creature hits with its claws, it attempts to start a grapple as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.
Spell-like Abilities: The True Wildking can use the following as spell-like abilities: Speak with Animals (at will), Calm Animal (3/day), Charm Animal (3/day), Dominate Animal (1/day). With a caster level of 12th and the save DC is Wisdom-based.
Scent (Ex): The creature can detect opponents within 30 feet by sense of smell. If the opponent is upwind, the range increases to 60 feet; if downwind, it drops to 15 feet. Strong scents, such as smoke or rotting garbage, can be detected at twice the ranges noted above. Overpowering scents, such as skunk musk or troglodyte stench, can be detected at triple normal range. The creature can pinpoint locations only within 5 feet. This creature can follow tracks by smell with a Wisdom check (DC 10, +2 for every hour the trail is cold).

rferries
2019-02-05, 07:29 PM
At a glance, some of the writeup seems off (feats, skill points, etc) so I'd indicate which feats are racial bonus feats, any racial skill bonuses, etc. Overall I like it though.

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-05, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the feedback... I marked the bonus feat on each of them...

On the subject of skills, I wasn't sure if the skill section was supposed to be the die modifier including both the skill ranks and the ability modifier or just the skill ranks... I've included the ability modifiers, but will go back and show just the skill ranks if that's what the block usually shows.

Was there anything else that stood out as off to you?

rferries
2019-02-05, 11:25 PM
The block should show the total skill modifier (ranks + ability modifier + feats etc), with an asterisk if there's a racial skill bonus. Then at the very end of the writeup add a "Skills" section that details the racial skill bonuses, if any. See this hawk entry, for example.

A wildking only has 9 skill points and even a greater wildking only has 15 skill points, so I'd advise giving a racial bonus to many of the skills if you want to keep those ranks (or just drop most of them and focus on Listen/Spot). Another possibility is to give them actual Climb and Swim speeds, which grant an automatic +8 bonus.

Also I'd doublecheck your math for the other statistics - the Will save bonus is too high for example. Remember animals/magical beasts have Good Fort & Ref and Poor Will saves, etc

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-06, 12:36 AM
The block should show the total skill modifier (ranks + ability modifier + feats etc), with an asterisk if there's a racial skill bonus. Then at the very end of the writeup add a "Skills" section that details the racial skill bonuses, if any. See this hawk entry, for example.

A wildking only has 9 skill points and even a greater wildking only has 15 skill points, so I'd advise giving a racial bonus to many of the skills if you want to keep those ranks (or just drop most of them and focus on Listen/Spot). Another possibility is to give them actual Climb and Swim speeds, which grant an automatic +8 bonus.
ok, so I definately need to rework the skills... unfortunately I was an idiot last night and saved the word document with the stat block, but not the excel sheet I used whcn playing with the numbers... I'll deal with them tomorrow....

Also I'd doublecheck your math for the other statistics - the Will save bonus is too high for example. Remember animals/magical beasts have Good Fort & Ref and Poor Will saves, etc
I read somewhere that dire animals got all three saves as good... several of their stat blocks seem to back that up... while dire is not in the name and there isn't a non-dire version, I was treating the wildking as if it was a dire creature as far as I could without clear rules on what makes a creature a dire creature...

rferries
2019-02-06, 04:57 AM
I read somewhere that dire animals got all three saves as good... several of their stat blocks seem to back that up... while dire is not in the name and there isn't a non-dire version, I was treating the wildking as if it was a dire creature as far as I could without clear rules on what makes a creature a dire creature...

Oh that's my bad then, I didn't realise they were meant to be dire animals. You're correct that they would have all good saves then (though ironically the true wildking would lose that benefit).

I've redone the writeup but feel free to switch things back (my feats in particular were chosen for combat utility, but they lack the flavour of your choices). Also, does this creature walk upright (like the Beast) or is it on all fours all the time?

Other suggestions: give the true wildkings wild empathy (as a nymph or unicorn) instead of the spell-like abilities, and buff their ability scores (both physical and mental) and natural armour.

WILDKINGLARGE ANIMAL ([Dire])
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 50 ft.
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+16
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d6+8) or bite +11 melee (1d8+8) or gore +11 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+8) and bite +9 melee (1d8+8) and gore +9 melee (1d8+8)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Ferocity, low-light vision, scent
Skills: Climb +16, Spot +10, Survival +1*, Swim +16
Feats: Improved Initiative, Multiattack, Power Attack, TrackB
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary or pair
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Level Adjustment: +1

The creature tears into the wolf pack with wild abandon. You realise it won't be long before it finishes with them, and decide to make your escape into the snowstorm.

The Wildking is an unusual beast to say the least. They have the torso and fore paws of a bear, the hind legs and tail of a wolf. Their head features horns like a buffalo, the jaws and a mane like a lion’s with a boar’s tusks thrown in for good measure. They have the eyes and intellect of a great ape. Their fur ranges from white to brown based on the environment.

Ferocity (Ex)
A Wildking is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Improved Grab (Ex)
When this creature hits with its claws, it may start a grapple attempt as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Skills
Wildkings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks and may always take 10 on such checks.

*Wildkings have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

WILDKING, TRUELARGE MAGICAL BEAST
Hit Dice: 12d10+12 (78 hp)
Initiative: +5
Speed: 50 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 50 ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +12/+22
Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d6+8) or bite +17 melee (1d8+8) or gore +17 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +17 melee (1d6+8) and bite +17 melee (1d8+8) and gore +17 melee (1d8+8)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision, ferocity, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 10
Skills: Climb +16, Spot +16, Survival +1*, Swim +16
Feats: Improved Initiative, Improved Multiattack, Iron Will, Multiattack, Power Attack, TrackB
Challenge Rating: 8
Treasure: Standard
Alignment: Usually chaotic good
Advancement: 13-18 HD (Large)
Level Adjustment: +0

This wildking is a particularly magnificent member of its kind. Its eyes possess the gleam of true intelligence.

Probably the most unusual aspect of the Wildking is that when they live long enough, they undergo a rather startling transformation. Over might, it will become tougher and more intelligent, gaining sentience, the ability to speak and understand languages, and the ability to use spell-like abilities. These changes are often accompanied by a shift in the Wildking’s fur color towards golden or red.

True wildkings speak Sylvan, and often learn Common, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Druidic, Draconic, Celestial, or whatever other languages are spoken by those who frequent their domains.

Ferocity (Ex)
A Wildking is such a tenacious combatant that it continues to fight without penalty even while disabled or dying.

Improved Grab (Ex)
When this creature hits with its claws, it may start a grapple attempt as a free action without provoking an attack of opportunity.

Spell-like Abilities (Sp)
Caster level 12th. The save DCs are Wisdom-based.
At will - speak with animals
3/day - calm animals (DC 12), charm animal (DC 12)
1/day - dominate animal (DC 14)

Skills
True wildkings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks and may always take 10 on such checks.

*True wildkings have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-07, 03:00 AM
Oh that's my bad then, I didn't realise they were meant to be dire animals. You're correct that they would have all good saves then (though ironically the true wildking would lose that benefit).
It is a bit Ironic, but I guess that's the price of sapience...
I love the quotes you added...

I've redone the writeup but feel free to switch things back (my feats in particular were chosen for combat utility, but they lack the flavour of your choices).
Thanks, your formating looks much better...
I am switching the feats back...
You were far more generous with the new movement speeds than I was planning on being... I think I'll spit the difference.... (By the way was there a reason you chose to match the swim speed to the land speed?)
Pretty sure that animals normally get an LA of "-" since they lack the sapiance prerequisite for being a PC...

Also, does this creature walk upright (like the Beast) or is it on all fours all the time?
On all fours, and has bear-like claws, so no opposable thumb... (Part of the reason I added the Cohort only qualifier to the True Wildking's LA...) It could stand up on its hind legs to try to reach something above it, but wouldn't be able to walk around like that...

Other suggestions: give the true wildkings wild empathy (as a nymph or unicorn) instead of the spell-like abilities, and buff their ability scores (both physical and mental) and natural armour.
I like the addition of Wild Empathy... I'll have to think about the buffs... Just Wild empathy on its own is not enough completely remove the spell-likes...

WILDKINGLARGE ANIMAL ([Dire])
Hit Dice: 6d8+6 (33 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 50 ft. (4 squares), climb 20 ft., swim 20 ft.
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+16
Attack: Claw +11 melee (1d6+8) or bite +11 melee (1d8+8) or gore +11 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +11 melee (1d6+8) and bite +9 melee (1d8+8) and gore +9 melee (1d8+8)
Special Attacks: Improved grab
Special Qualities: Ferocity, low-light vision, scent
Skills: Climb +16, Listen +3, Spot +12, Survival +1*, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Run, TrackB
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Level Adjustment: -

The creature tears into the wolf pack with wild abandon. You realise it won't be long before it finishes with them, and decide to make your escape into the snowstorm.

Ferocity (Ex)

Improved Grab (Ex)

Skills
Wildkings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks and may always take 10 on such checks.

*Wildkings have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

Hit Dice: 12d10+15 (81 hp)
Armor Class: 15 (+1 Dex, +5 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 14 ?((Bump Nat))?
Attack: Claw +17 melee (1d6+8) or bite +17 melee (1d8+8) or gore +17 melee (1d8+8)
Full Attack: 2 claws +17 melee (1d6+8) and bite +17 melee (1d8+8) and gore +17 melee (1d8+8)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./10 ft.
Special Attacks: Improved grab, spell-like abilities
Special Qualities: Darkvision, ferocity, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +9, Ref +9, Will +7
Abilities: Str 27, Dex 13, Con 13, Int 4, Wis 12, Cha 10 ?((Bumps))?
Skills: Climb +16, Listen +3, Spot +18, Survival +1*, Swim +16
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Run, Toughness, TrackB
Level Adjustment: +0 (Cohort)

This wildking is a particularly magnificent member of its kind. Its eyes possess the gleam of true intelligence.

Probably the most unusual aspect of the Wildking is that when they live long enough, they undergo a rather startling transformation. Over might, it will become tougher and more intelligent, gaining sentience, the ability to speak and understand languages, and the ability to use spell-like abilities. These changes are often accompanied by a shift in the Wildking’s fur color towards golden or red.

True wildkings speak Sylvan, and often learn Common, Elven, Gnome, Goblin, Halfling, Druidic, Draconic, Celestial, or whatever other languages are spoken by those who frequent their domains.

Ferocity (Ex)

Improved Grab (Ex)

Spell-like Abilities (Sp)
3/day - calm animals (DC 12), ?charm animal (DC 12)?
1/day - dominate animal (DC 14)

Wild Empathy (Ex)
This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that a true wildking has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Skills
True wildkings have a +8 racial bonus on Climb and Swim checks and may always take 10 on such checks.

*True wildkings have a +4 racial bonus on Survival checks when tracking by scent.

rferries
2019-02-07, 03:17 AM
It is a bit Ironic, but I guess that's the price of sapience...
I love the quotes you added...

Thanks, your formating looks much better...

No worries!

I am switching the feats back...

Righto! However note that this will affect their attacks (once they lose Multiattack etc).

You were far more generous with the new movement speeds than I was planning on being... I think I'll spit the difference.... (By the way was there a reason you chose to match the swim speed to the land speed?)

Swim speeds are generally faster than land speeds - however my bad, they're not really an aquatic creature so a good swim sped is inappropriate.

Pretty sure that animals normally get an LA of "-" since they lack the sapiance prerequisite for being a PC...

Indeed! I'm a big fan of the Level Reassignment thread though so I always try to assign one haha, just a habit.

On all fours, and has bear-like claws, so no opposable thumb... (Part of the reason I added the Cohort only qualifier to the True Wildking's LA...) It could stand up on its hind legs to try to reach something above it, but wouldn't be able to walk around like that...

Righto, I was just wondering for the purposes of their reach - if they fight on all fours the true wildking shouldn't get 10' reach (or vice versa).

I like the addition of Wild Empathy... I'll have to think about the buffs... Just Wild empathy on its own is not enough completely remove the spell-likes...

I would encourage you to either reduce the true wildking's Hit Dice or increase their stats and magical abilities - 12 HD seems like a lot for a creature that otherwise isn't correspondingly more powerful than the base wildking.

Pounce, Rend, Powerful Charge, Trample etc are all nonmagical abilities you could grant them as well.

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-07, 07:24 PM
And an update to the true wildking.... This change is definitely magical/supernatural in nature. Given its consistent, perminate repetition across millenia, divine intervention seems like the most likely explanation. Given the level of power that entails, I felt justified in treating the ability increases (specifically Int) as retroactive for purposes of the wildking's skills.

Hit Dice: 12d10+18 (84 hp)
Armor Class: 19 (+1 Dex, +9 natural, -1 size), touch 10, flat-footed 18
Special Attacks: Improved grab, ?spell-like abilities?
Special Qualities: Darkvision, ferocity, low-light vision, scent, wild empathy
Saves: Fort +12, Ref +12, Will +10
Abilities: Str 31, Dex 19, Con 19, Int 10, Wis 18, Cha 16
Skills: Balance +5, Climb +18, Hide +5, Intimidate +6, Listen +16, Move Silently +7, Spot +18, Survival +1*, Swim +18
Feats: Alertness, Endurance, Iron Will, Run, Toughness, TrackB
Level Adjustment: +0 (Cohort)

Ferocity (Ex)

Improved Grab (Ex)

?[Spell-like Abilities (Sp)
3/day - calm animals (DC 12), I]charm animal[/I] (DC 12
1/day - dominate animal (DC 14))?

Wild Empathy (Ex)
This power works like the druid’s wild empathy class feature, except that a true wildking has a +6 racial bonus on the check.

Skills

noob
2019-02-08, 12:00 PM
So the beast from beauty and the beast would probably have a bunch of class levels if they do not get magical abilities spontaneously?

Ranged Ranger
2019-02-09, 01:29 AM
So the beast from beauty and the beast would probably have a bunch of class levels if they do not get magical abilities spontaneously?
My original plan with this was to have Beast be a lycanthrope Wildking stuck in hybrid form... The True Wildking did not develop until after I had abandoned that train of thought...