PDA

View Full Version : Making a loveable hobo character

stewstew5
2019-02-05, 01:34 AM
I'm in the process of building (not playing soon, just building) a character who's basically the human equivalent of a opossum. Constantly a mess but nihilistic optimistic, will eat anything and live anywhere, weirdly cute and loveable, definitely not one for high society the works. I was just wondering what background would be best for this, and what other rules/abilities I should keep in mind for playing this character

CTurbo
2019-02-05, 01:51 AM
Vow of Poverty Monk. Probably Half-Elf with a decent Cha while not sacrificing Wis and Dex too much.

I'd take Urchin and probably carry NOTHING other than a simple set of clothes that he'd be wearing(maybe just a robe). The pet mouse that the Urchin gets is a nice touch though. It could live in his robe pocket.

stewstew5
2019-02-05, 01:53 AM
Vow of Poverty Monk. Probably Half-Elf with a decent Cha while not sacrificing Wis and Dex too much.

I've got the class squared away. otherwise I entirely agree

CTurbo
2019-02-05, 01:58 AM
I've got the class squared away. otherwise I entirely agree

Well you didn't say what class you were taking

stewstew5
2019-02-05, 02:01 AM
Well you didn't say what class you were taking

I wasn't criticizing you for bringing it up. The focus of this is just less on class and more on the subtler details of the build

CTurbo
2019-02-05, 02:07 AM
Well I would take Urchin and carry nothing but the clothes on my back except for maybe the pet mouse you get. I just play him as super friendly.

BreaktheStatue
2019-02-05, 02:55 AM
Keep in mind the difference between messy and dirty. Someone can be a mess and cute, but if they avoid bathing and smell like a sewer the charm will wear-off quick.

JellyPooga
2019-02-05, 05:39 AM
I know you said you've got class sorted, but Anciemts Paladin is perdect for this; disease resistant, lovable high charisma, the works.

As for Background, I'd consider Folk Hero. It's the go-to peasant hero" Background. The Feature means you can find succour with common folk, even if the nobility turn their nose up at your filthy ways. Proficiency in Animal Handling seems appropriate for grubbing down with your pet dog "Scruffy". n Proficiency in Land Vehicles also seems appropriate if you're the "humble cart" kind of hobo.

Unoriginal
2019-02-05, 06:06 AM
When you say "loveable hobo", do you mean more Second Doctor or more Nobby Nobs?

Malifice
2019-02-05, 07:27 AM
When you say "loveable hobo", do you mean more Second Doctor or more Nobby Nobs?

The kind of hobo that frequently murders children and small dogs for the greater good, and then eats them.

Chaotic Good perhaps?

MThurston
2019-02-05, 07:44 AM
Charlatan would be a good back ground. Not sure what you mean by lovable? You just don't get that from a stat.

You have to Roleplay that part.

stewstew5
2019-02-05, 12:12 PM

a scamp. I can't really attest to his similarity to either of those characters, but I'd say imagine the charm of charlie chaplin but with entirely different setup

stewstew5
2019-02-05, 12:15 PM
Keep in mind the difference between messy and dirty. Someone can be a mess and cute, but if they avoid bathing and smell like a sewer the charm will wear-off quick.

something to keep in mind

Brotherbock
2019-02-05, 12:23 PM

Also keep in mind the difference between Hobo and Bum. Major difference--the Hobo has no problems working, and in fact wants to find work to earn money for food. He just has no desire to stay in one place for very long. But the Hobo is not someone usually just looking for handouts. The Hobo might even have a small collection of tools, and some useful skills that he can turn into temporary work wherever he goes. He tries not to be offensive, tries to keep clean, etc. (Because those things will help him get work, which gets him food.)

The Hobo drifts into town, looks for some work, sleeps under a bridge (near water, where he can bathe), shows up to work on time, tries to get along with people. Then moves on. :)

Look up the game Hobomancer for some more good info.

Orc_Lord
2019-02-05, 02:26 PM
Lizardfolk Rogue with Thief Archetype and Artisan background

Lizardfolk for the personality you discussed...and you can make your own weapons/armor from bones

Rogue for having a lot of skills, persuasion, history, insight would all be relevant

Thief so you can climb and scale things, also to take more actions.

Artisan for the tool proficiencies.

Brotherbock
2019-02-05, 04:58 PM
Lizardfolk Rogue with Thief Archetype and Artisan background

Lizardfolk for the personality you discussed...and you can make your own weapons/armor from bones

Rogue for having a lot of skills, persuasion, history, insight would all be relevant

Thief so you can climb and scale things, also to take more actions.

Artisan for the tool proficiencies.

All good suggestions.

I would also like Bard for a Hobo--roaming the land, educating himself informally, playing a harmonica-equivalent, learning quirky and useful magic. Hobos had their own glyph language, warning each other about police, places to find food, etc.

xroads
2019-02-05, 05:44 PM
a scamp. I can't really attest to his similarity to either of those characters, but I'd say imagine the charm of charlie chaplin but with entirely different setup

This brings to mind Entertainer. Maybe choose actor and/or tumbler as one of your routines (seems like they would be Charlie's shticks).

Outlander could also work, maybe choosing the pilgrim or nomad origin.

Even Sailor could be a possibility, if you want to try a more nautical flavored nomad.

Mercurias
2019-02-05, 09:18 PM
I'm in the process of building (not playing soon, just building) a character who's basically the human equivalent of a opossum. Constantly a mess but nihilistic optimistic, will eat anything and live anywhere, weirdly cute and loveable, definitely not one for high society the works. I was just wondering what background would be best for this, and what other rules/abilities I should keep in mind for playing this character

I'd use the Urchin background.

As for class/subclass, you could pretty easily go for any flavor of Monk, Druid, Sorcerer, Rogue, or Ranger. I'd personally roll with a Halfling or Shifter Moon Druid, and I would lean hard into the roleplay aspect of being able to lose yourself in the senses of an animal. Perhaps when learning to transform the character went too deep into an animal's mind and is having to relearn basic social skills.

loki_ragnarock
2019-02-05, 10:23 PM

So are you looking for a stabbing hobo or a singing hobo?

"Nothing beats
the hobo life,
stabbin' folk with
my hobo knife."

Outlander gets my vote.
There's no hard declaration for how you procure the food; it doesn't matter if you found mushrooms under a log in the wilderness or half a sandwich in bin by the park. Survival lets you tell if that's good mold or bad on the bin sandwich. And proficiency with one instrument gets you the banjo, a key requirement for hoboing.
And thematically? You aren't from here. You ride the rails. That's pretty outlander, right there.

And if you have the occasional social faux pas, people can say you're behaving outlandishly.

BarneyBent
2019-02-05, 10:29 PM
I wasn't criticizing you for bringing it up. The focus of this is just less on class and more on the subtler details of the build

Knowing the class will help with role playing the subtler aspects of the build.

Sigreid
2019-02-05, 11:50 PM
I'd suggest the folk hero background with the tinker's tool proficiency. You travel around fixing peoples pots and farm implements, and when they need more dangerous help, well you're happy to do that too.

BreaktheStatue
2019-02-06, 02:18 AM
I'd personally roll with a Halfling or Shifter Moon Druid, and I would lean hard into the roleplay aspect of being able to lose yourself in the senses of an animal.

Heck yeah. Name him Benji, and then spend as much time as possible wildshaped into Benji the dog (the 1974 Benji, not the remake Benji).

Benji's the platonic ideal of an adorable hobo.

stewstew5
2019-02-06, 09:20 PM
Knowing the class will help with role playing the subtler aspects of the build.

but like i said, I already know the class. and I made it, so I understand it fully

opaopajr
2019-02-07, 07:32 AM
OMG, it has to be an Entertainer! :smallbiggrin: Hobo clown, FTW!

Acrobatics, Performance, Disguise Kit, Musical Instrument... yay! Disguise yourself as a clown, play the mouth harp or spoons, and do pratfalls & pantomime! You can even incorporate playing dead in the performance! :smalltongue:

Only thing to add is either a racial benefit to somehow get the cantrip Prestidigitation, Minor Illusion, or Friends! :smallcool:

mucat
2019-02-07, 08:48 PM
Don't make him pathetic or pitiable. He's not someone you would want to help; he doesn't need it. He's someone you would want to hang out with, and maybe for a moment you can see the world the way he sees it. It's not that nothing matters -- he's not a nihilist -- but nothing is so damned urgent that it ought to prevent you from enjoying a good beer, a good sunset, or a good conversation. 95% of your worries will take care of themselves in time, and the other 5%...well, you're well fortified to deal with them, because this really is a good beer.

The Dude abides (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxQ7VHaWh_4).

BoringInfoGuy
2019-02-08, 01:27 PM
Our group has a hobo in it. He went with a Human Wild Mage Sorcerer with the Hermit background.

He is an older man with little to no memory of his past.

He refuses to live in any regular housing for any extended period. His rations are a string of sausages that he wears around his neck and eats exclusively.

For personality, he is. . . Odd. Likable, but prone to strange tangents. Bad at social niceties and uncomfortably direct at times. Always confident, leading him to occasional rash actions. That almost NEVER go wrong for him. Highly inspiring, when discussing the benefits of an all sausage diet or other apparent nonsense. (High Charisma and the Leadership Feat).

Possibly the most fun character of our group.

Sigreid
2019-02-08, 01:37 PM
The kind of hobo that frequently murders children and small dogs for the greater good, and then eats them.

Chaotic Good perhaps?

Where did this come from? The OP doesn't indicate a desire for anything but a likable migrant worker.