PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A ancestral guardian help

berserker7878
2019-02-05, 02:44 AM
At 3rd level, while you're raging, the first creature you hit with an attack on your turn becomes the target of spiritual warriors, which hinder its attacks. Until the start of your next turn, that target has disadvantage on any attack roll that isn't against you, and when the target hits a creature other than you with an attack, that creature has resistance to the damage dealt by the attack. The effect on the target ends early if your rage ends.

i don't understand, ancestral guardian work with magic spell attack ( i talk for attack spell, not for spell using saving throws)

LudicSavant
2019-02-05, 02:50 AM
Do they make an attack roll? Then it's an attack.

berserker7878
2019-02-05, 03:17 AM
Do they make an attack roll? Then it's an attack.

I want to be sure, thank you for the answer, because the last time I read something not necessarily clear, I took the head with my DM.

it was on the feat pole arm master, he assured me we could not wear a shield with a quarterstaff, even if I agree it's not very rp (doing another attack withe the end of quarterstaff ) but that's the rule, and in the end he told me that otherwise I would have too much attack, at level 11 I would have 3 turns attack, with the surge action and haste of our magician. .. ( 9 attack in 1 turn)

Contrast
2019-02-05, 03:55 AM
I want to be sure, thank you for the answer, because the last time I read something not necessarily clear, I took the head with my DM.

it was on the feat pole arm master, he assured me we could not wear a shield with a quarterstaff, even if I agree it's not very rp (doing another attack withe the end of quarterstaff ) but that's the rule, and in the end he told me that otherwise I would have too much attack, at level 11 I would have 3 turns attack, with the surge action and haste of our magician. .. ( 9 attack in 1 turn)

Just to say RAW you can use QS and shield though many people found the idea silly (including your DM apparently who obv has final say on what is and isn't allowed). They errata'd polearm mastery to include spears so he may find spear and shield more palatable though mechanically its the same.

Not quite sure where you're getting 9 attacks. 6 (3 base, x2 action surge) +1 haste + 1 bonus action = 8 by my reckoning.

berserker7878
2019-02-05, 04:15 AM
Just to say RAW you can use QS and shield though many people found the idea silly (including your DM apparently who obv has final say on what is and isn't allowed). They errata'd polearm mastery to include spears so he may find spear and shield more palatable though mechanically its the same.

Not quite sure where you're getting 9 attacks. 6 (3 base, x2 action surge) +1 haste + 1 bonus action = 8 by my reckoning.

HASTE: Choose a willing creature you can see. Its speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saves, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. The action can be used to attack (one weapon attack only), dash, disengage, hide, or use an object.

When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until the end of its next turn.

i have 3 attack in my turn ( lv 11 fighter)

i have action surge (+ 1 action)

+ haste (+ 1 action)

3(normal action)+3 (action surge)+3 (surge)

i have 1 sword an shield , the spell say one weapon attack only, ( in my turn i have 3 attack with my sword)

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-05, 06:27 AM
HASTE: Choose a willing creature you can see. Its speed is doubled, it gains a +2 bonus to AC, it has advantage on Dexterity saves, and it gains an additional action on each of its turns. The action can be used to attack (one weapon attack only), dash, disengage, hide, or use an object.

When the spell ends, the target can't move or take actions until the end of its next turn.

i have 3 attack in my turn ( lv 11 fighter)

i have action surge (+ 1 action)

+ haste (+ 1 action)

i have 1 sword an shield , the spell say one weapon attack only, ( in my turn i have 3 attack with my sword)

Haste specifically says that the action it grants can only be used to make a single melee attack. You don’t get a full attack action with it.

Contrast
2019-02-05, 10:15 AM

You quoted the haste text yourself. You can make an attack action but you only get to make one attack with it only hence why I added 1 attack for Haste, not 3. Also I assume one of the surges there was meant to be haste but just in case, even when you get 2 action surges at 17 there's a specific restriction that you can't use them both on the same turn.