PDA

View Full Version : If you were making The Hulk as a dnd 5e pc how would u do it

Shuruke
2019-02-05, 03:53 AM
I'm just messing around and this came up as a fun idea

How would you guys go about doing this

I like idea of still being able to do the thunderous clap the hulk has

So you'd have to be 4 element to do it while raging

Would also be a barbarian 3 bear totem.
Race Orc
End build I'd go
9 monk 4 ele
3 barbarian bear totem
8 fighter Battle master

Asi 5 total
Based off stats go for str and con max
3 asi for stats
1 asi for Mage slayer
1 asi for sentinel

Foe 4 element monk
Thunder wave
Fist of unbroken air
Burning hands
Can cast up to 3rd level for
4d8 Thunderwave
5d10 unbroken air
5d6 burning hands.

Can use stunning strike to stun to cause failed saves
Gets alot back on short rests
Fighting style dueling
Use a simple mace as weapon 1d6+7 +rage
Flurry of blows for 2 1d6+5+rage

Action surge for whatever the anger desires

Maybe a really big clap for
5d6 dex halves fire damage
4d8 con save halves

Or angry attacks
2 attacks both using sweeping
Action surge
1 attack sweeping 1 normal attack
Fist of fury < haha 2 attacks

Just figured itd be fun
Can't cast Thunderwave or burning hands while raging but could do first of unbroken. And if u use ruling where that doesn't have a cap you can do attack action try stunning if stun succeeds action surge for 7 or 8 ki unbroken for 8d10 or 9d10 auto fail on save.
Rp it as a really big punch or a smash XD

What would u guys do for build I'm interested to know

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-06, 03:25 PM
I'm just messing around and this came up as a fun idea

How would you guys go about doing this

I like idea of still being able to do the thunderous clap the hulk has

I feel like one niche ability of the character shouldn't hinder the entire concept. It'd be a lot of work to provide Thunderclap onto a Barbarian than it would just to have a character that feels very "hulk-like".

I think the Hulk is very simple, can take and deal a lot of damage, and constantly uses his brute strength for the betterment of the team.

Because of all this, I think the Bear Totem Barbarian is the best choice here. Grab Tavern Brawler so that he is incentivized to punch people or hit them with improvised weapons and grapple them, which very much feels like a "Hulk" thing to do.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 04:25 PM
Truue
And if u really want to just 18 barbarian
2 monk

For the 2 flurries a short rest while raging you could do 4 attacks all with bonus rage damage XD
When you aren't using flurry u get bonus action grapples through tavern brawler ^.^

Ganymede
2019-02-06, 04:30 PM
The Hulk's source of power is his fury. In 5e, this is a Barbarian.

The Hulk's fury is not fueled by an animal spirit, righteous zeal, or elemental magic. That leaves only one primal path: the Berserker.

BigPixie
2019-02-06, 04:38 PM
You guys are all looking at this wrong, he needs Banner because without Bruce there's no Hulk. So we need the nerdiest class/subclass...

THE TRANSMUTER.

Get tavern brawler and polymorph into a reskinned Giant Ape and BOOM you got Hulk. :smallamused:

Edit: Nevermind I'm stupid you need some barb in there as Ganymede Just said.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-06, 04:41 PM
The Hulk's source of power is his fury. In 5e, this is a Barbarian.

The Hulk's fury is not fueled by an animal spirit, righteous zeal, or elemental magic. That leaves only one primal path: the Berserker.

I agree, Hulk should be a Berserker, dealing with exhaustion will be a pain, but that the closest fluffwise

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 05:00 PM
Truuue
And well for hulk u could generally ignore first level of exaughstion
Ability checks would only be athletics for grappling and even then while raging it would be canceled out.

Would u just wanna do full level barb for 24 str and con?
Or would you want something like action surge or etc from other classes.

Doing barb fighter monk
With action surge and flurry u can do 6 attacks in one turn at level 9.
2 fighter 2 monk 5 barb

Only issue is theirs no good fighting style unless u use a mace and take dueling .

Rukelnikov
2019-02-06, 05:24 PM
Truuue
And well for hulk u could generally ignore first level of exaughstion
Ability checks would only be athletics for grappling and even then while raging it would be canceled out.

Would u just wanna do full level barb for 24 str and con?
Or would you want something like action surge or etc from other classes.

Doing barb fighter monk
With action surge and flurry u can do 6 attacks in one turn at level 9.
2 fighter 2 monk 5 barb

Only issue is theirs no good fighting style unless u use a mace and take dueling .

Ask yourself this, do you wanna play like the hulk, or do you wanna have some resemblance to the hulk but be mechanically superior?

If you wanna go with something thats very good mechanically and similar to the hulk, then yeah, you don't really benefit from more than 2 lvls of barb, or maybe 3 for bear totem.

However, if you wanna be as close to the char as possible, I don't picture hulk as fighting like a Monk tbh, and the only fighters that would work thematically are champion, and better yet, brute (which steps over barbs feet a lot), just convice your DM to let brute's extra damage work with your unarmed strikes, RAW and RAI its melee weapons only.

IME, how mechanically capable is a character in a vacuum, is completely meaningless, the only thing that matters is how powerful he/she/it is in relation to the rest of the party.

A full party of lvl 1s with 8s in every attribute will be challenged by the DM and beat the encounters more often than not, a full party of heavily optimized 20th level chars will ALSO be challeged by the DM and beat the encounters more often than not, the difference is just the scope, nothing else.

The problem arises when 1 character is noticeable more or less powerful than the average of the party, since then it may make the char feel like Hawkeye (what am I doing here? I'll better just quit), or like Thor (why are we here? This guy just solo'd the army)

So my recomendation is, in general, when you have a clear concept of what you wanna be, stick to it, don't compromise it for some mechanical advantage.

xroads
2019-02-06, 05:38 PM
If you just want to have Hulk with a thunderous clap, just create a barbarian with magic initiate. Then pick Thunderwave as your first level spell.

Sure, you won't be able to use it more than once per day. And it won't have as much of a punch as you might like. But I don't think Hulk really relies much on his thunderous clap ability as it is.

He'd much prefer to pummel an opponent into paste. And barbarians excel at that. :smallbiggrin:

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-06, 05:43 PM
If you just want to have Hulk with a thunderous clap, just create a barbarian with magic initiate. Then pick Thunderwave as your first level spell.

Sure, you won't be able to use it more than once per day. And it won't have as much of a punch as you might like. But I don't think Hulk really relies much on his thunderous clap ability as it is.

He'd much prefer to pummel an opponent into paste. And barbarians excel at that. :smallbiggrin:

You don't even need Thunderwave as your leveled spell. Thunderclap is a cantrip. Jump and Longstrider are level 1 spells you can maintain while Raging. Earth Tremor has you smash the ground into debris while doing damage. For a second cantrip, you could just as well pick Resistance to shrug off an incoming effect.

Particle_Man
2019-02-06, 06:14 PM
I would have Goliath as the race, to give you a "healing factor" and to let you carry even more stuff as a Bear Totem Barbarian. Because Hulk is the strongest there is.

And I would go all the way to 20 in Barbarian to get the str boost at the end. Because Hulk is the strongest there is.

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-06, 06:20 PM
I would have Goliath as the race, to give you a "healing factor" and to let you carry even more stuff as a Bear Totem Barbarian. Because Hulk is the strongest there is.

And I would go all the way to 20 in Barbarian to get the str boost at the end. Because Hulk is the strongest there is.

15 x24 (Str) x2 (Goliath) x2 (Bear Totem) = 1440 lifting strength or 2880 pushing strength.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 06:37 PM
15 x24 (Str) x2 (Goliath) x2 (Bear Totem) = 1440 lifting strength or 2880 pushing strength.

XD have cleric cast enhance ability for another x2

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 06:48 PM
Tbh I'm not worried about mechanics or anything really just wanted to start a thread about it cuz had a player playing moon druid that Reflavored it as hulking out

Polymorph at 18th level into dragon turtle re flavored as world hulk was very rememerable even though it was 3 years ago I still remember how epic it was for everyone using features etc we their all getting low Everyone was out of resources from getting to boss and then the player asked me to side bar and asked what the biggest thing he could polymorph into was and I immediately thought dragon turtle.

So we went back in and on his next turn right after the cleric stabalized him and he watched the cleric and fighter go down he polymorphed.

Everyone had a blast and just figured id see what people on forum would do

strangebloke
2019-02-06, 06:50 PM
Goliath Bear Totem is the clear choice here, IMO, but there are other routes.

The polymorph fun has already been mentioned. Bonus points because it does make him stupider, and gives you the whole 'puny banner' form.

But the best one clearly is:

Goliath Barbarian/Moon Druid.

Normally you're walking around as a high-WIS, high INT character with negative CON and STR. Then combat starts and you get angry and you turn into a Huge, raging gorilla with 23 STR, 16 AC, quadruple carry capacity for his str, and a ridiculous athletics check with advantage which when combined with huge size, allows him to grapple an adult dragon very reliably.As a bonus, you even have a 'healing factor' in that the druid can heal himself by burning spell slots.

Only downside is that you aren't stupid. On the other hand, the restrictions of rage force you to act a little stupid so its fine.

As a side-show, rolling a 12 on stone's endurance and completely no-selling 24 damage feels really good.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 07:52 PM

The polymorph fun has already been mentioned. Bonus points because it does make him stupider, and gives you the whole 'puny banner' form.

Normally you're walking around as a high-WIS, high INT character with negative CON and STR. Then combat starts and you get angry and you turn into a Huge, raging gorilla with 23 STR, 16 AC, quadruple carry capacity for his str, and a ridiculous athletics check with advantage which when combined with huge size, allows him to grapple an adult dragon very reliably.As a bonus, you even have a 'healing factor' in that the druid can heal himself by burning spell slots.

Only downside is that you aren't stupid. On the other hand, the restrictions of rage force you to act a little stupid so its fine.

As a side-show, rolling a 12 on stone's endurance and completely no-selling 24 damage feels really good.

Not big into marvel parents were against "violent things" growing up

Isn't their a hulk that is called doctor hulk or something that is a smart hulk?

If so that could be fun

Zonugal
2019-02-06, 09:45 PM
Isn't their a hulk that is called doctor hulk or something that is a smart hulk?

Grey (Joe Fixit) Hulk

GlenSmash!
2019-02-06, 09:58 PM
Grey (Joe Fixit) Hulk

Joe Fixit was a mobster

The Professor is what the Hulk called himself when he retained Banner's intelligence while being the hulk:
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSbKH1WKSAiHIJV-vTb0_wO__EEXu8B0jXVgHADwqSXy1YXnAB-

Zonugal
2019-02-06, 10:33 PM
To pursue the 'Moon' Druid/'Bear Totem' Barbarian idea, what about something like?

'Haunted One' Ghostwise Halfling 6 'Path of the Totem Warrior' Barbarian 6/'Circle of the Moon' Druid 14
Str 13 (+1), Dex 12 (+1), Con 16 (+3), Int 14 (+2), Wis 18 (+4), Cha 8 (-1)
Skills/Feats: Athletics, Investigation, Nature, Survival; Keen Mind & Tavern Brawler
Spells
- 1st-level: Absorb Elements, Cure Wounds, Detect Magic, & Earth Tremor
- 2nd-level: Barkskin, Enhance Ability, Lesser Restoration, & Locate Animals or Plants
- 3rd-level: Dispel Magic & Protection from Energy
- 4th-level: Freedom of Movement, Polymorph, & Stoneskin
- 5th-level: Commune with Nature & Greater Restoration
- 6th-level: Heal & Investiture of Stone
- 7th-level: Regenerate

Rowan Wolf
2019-02-08, 01:53 AM
If you don't mind third party stuff (and exhaustion) the arcanis 5e port has path of the warped one.

Grod_The_Giant
2019-02-08, 11:45 AM

Oohh... that one's fun. I'm into it.

---------

If homebrew is on the table, my Path of the Shifting Fury (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?574731-Path-of-Shifting-Fury-(Transforming-Barbarian-subclass))is pretty much exactly the Hulk archetype.