PDA

View Full Version : Lights in a World of Shadow IC

Arzanyos
2019-02-05, 05:19 AM
It's cold and dark outside the city, but right now, those feelings are taking a backseat. You can feel... something, calling to you from inside yourself almost. A spirit has been awakened, inside a trinket you hold, and as you listen to its call, power starts to surge through you. But then it fades, and you are left to contemplate your surroundings. There are five of you, arrayed in a haphazard circle formed by chance during your teleportation. The newly formed group stands on a dry, rocky ridge overlooking the wilds. Far to the west stands Rahn Terahl. Closer to your position though, smoke rises from several different spots. It seems there is life outside the city after all. In the center of the circle lies a faded stone engraving, lit by a thin beam of sunlight falling directly upon it.

What do you do, and who are all those jokers next to you?

Ramsus
2019-02-05, 12:39 PM
http://oi67.tinypic.com/2dbqzjs.jpg
Eline Van Der Aart (https://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=1813891)
Human Geomancer
HP: 43/43
Concentrating on: --
Conditions: --

Eline looks around at the others, blinks in surprise for a moment, and then sticks her hand out at the nearest person saying, "Hay there, nice ta meet ya'll. I'm Eline Van Der Aart. Y'all can just call me Eline though. Don't suppose any of you nice folk know where we are or what's going on here?" She gives everyone a friendly smile and mentally chuckles at her little pun in her greeting, even though she's been making the same joke every time she meets someone since she was a child.

Parlortricks
2019-02-05, 07:46 PM
The world spun as Arcavat pressed his hand against his left ear, where a certain piece of jewelry hung. He gritted his teeth and squeezed his eyes shut as a strange power rushed through him, almost expecting it to hurt. It… Didn't. Other sensations soon crept upon him, the kind of wind and cold upon his skin that hadn't been there a moment ago, the muffled sounds of city life replaced by the eerie howl of the wind and… The feeling of there being the presence of others where there had been none.

That was what made him open his eyes, immediately wary and preparing for the worst, one hand clutching his wooden staff and the other the piece of paper he had just begun to read before, well, everything that just happened, happened. Indeed, he was not alone. Nor was he where he was a moment ago, his comfortable almost-literal hole-in-the-wall within the city walls. No, that had been replaced by the wilderness, the darkness. The glow of the city was almost blinding in the corner of his eye.

Well. This hadn't been how he thought he'd end outside the walls. This wasn't when he wanted to do such, either.

Arcavat's attention didn't stray far from the strangers gathered around him, not knowing who they were or why they were here – or if they had anything to do with this whole strange teleportation. Friends or foes, that too was unknown. And that kept him on his toes. The letter he had opened, the catalyst… That was the second thing his eyes kept flicking to, doing his best to read its contents while also making sure he was not being attacked.

He didn't know if he understood more or less the further he got along.

A girl was first to speak up, her face young and innocent. Surprisingly nonplussed and friendly all things considering, but she did at the very least put up the act that she did not know what was happening. A deep chuckle escaped the drow's throat, a smile forced its way to his lips. Was she just foolish and ignorant, or was that just the level of spunk she was born with?
"Where? Outside. The rest… You did not happen to come across a letter recently, did you?" Arcavat spoke, his voice perhaps unnaturally deep and rough considering his size. For emphasis, he nodded towards the piece of paper in his hand – though he was not showing its contents just yet. It was better to see what the others knew first.

Arcavat is a drow clad in well-worn clothes, ragged around the edges and even dirty in places, seeming to be quite baggy around his slim, perhaps even emaciated, form – though many of the details are hidden underneath a brown, hooded cape. The shape of what is probably a backpack with various supplies is on his back, though his ragged appearance makes it rather difficult to tell if he is a traveler or just a beggar with everything he owns carried with him. A wooden staff is held in his right hand.

His skin is is dark, almost black, and his facial features sharp with high cheekbones and hollow cheeks, a beak-like nose and narrow eyes colored red. Figuring Arcavat's age by his face alone is a task that seems to get more difficult the more one looks at him, that certain ageless elf quality mixed with the occasional deep wrinkle that has etched itself onto his face. In stark contrast with his skin, the drow's hair is white – perhaps with the occasional gray streak. Its exact length is hidden by the hood he wears over his head, but it's wavy and thick enough to even hide the tips of his pointy ears, its texture coarse. And it probably hasn't been washed in a while. His eyebrows are thin and similarly white, but he does not have even a strand of a beard or mustache. Elves, you know.

JNAProductions
2019-02-05, 08:41 PM
Celina Sifou, Celina replies, her voice a clear, strong alto. As for what's going on... I can't really say for sure. Though if I had to guess, she adds, hefting her shield, this has something to do with it, besides just the letter-which I did get, by the way. Right Orin? she finishes, hoping not to sound too crazy talking to her shield.

Celina is a quite tall, well-muscled half-elf woman. She's got long, blonde hair, going all the way down to her waist, and is dressed in thick armor, with weapons at her belt. Her shield is made of burnt metal of an unkown variety.

Dear, Amé says to Arcavat, You really need to put yourself at ease. I have the strongest feeling these are to be your friends, not your enemies.

emduck
2019-02-07, 09:03 PM
Ari could see the others at the edges of her vision, but she read the letter again, because what could this be except some kind of mistake? Or a joke? The librarian had always had the oddest sense of humor. But at the end of the missive nothing had changed.

She folded it up very carefully and put it in her pocket, trying to keep her hands from shaking, and then looked to the others.

"I'm Arisanna," she said to the one who'd spoken first. "You can call me Ari." She surprised herself by how steady her voice was. She looked around. "And I did get a letter. Do you know the libraria--" she caught herself. "Do you know Maldiorn?"

Scout--
"The pun again, child?" Scout murmurs, with only the faintest note of exasperation.

Arisanna is a half-elf of medium height, with olive tan skin, a slight build, and angular features. She has long brown hair, usually worn pulled over one shoulder in a braid, and gray eyes. There's an ink smudge on her cheek and a quill tucked behind her ear. She's weighted down by books, scrolls, and writing supplies, as well as an instrument case strapped to her back. She looks about like the picture on her sheet but with a darker, more olive complexion.

violet42
2019-02-08, 04:08 PM
Phelaia stares at the paper in shock, more at the contents of the letter than at the strange gathering of people before her. “I can’t believe it— she’s been alive all this time?” she whispers to herself.

Suddenly, she looks up from the letter. Who are all these people?

“Hello, everyone. My name is Phelaia, and I’ve recently received a letter as well. How do you— did all of you know Shaile too?”

Phelaia is a red-skinned tiefling with a bright silvery breastplate. Her dark red hair is tied up in a braid behind the horns that flank either side of her head. Her eyes have no pupil or sclera, but are solid gold. Her breastplate and shield have a strange symbol carved into them, and she also carries a bow and axe on her back. Around her neck is a flame-colored amulet and a string of prayer beads made of various gems.

Ramsus
2019-02-08, 05:12 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline grins a moment at Scout's response. Then to the others, multiple of whom have asked about who she presumes is their mutual acquaintance she replies, "I didn't know him by those names, but I got a letter just like I suppose y'all did. I guess that's why we're all together then? And maybe something to do with those fires?" She points out plumes of smoke in the distance.

Mikaphet de Ancarilla for his part says nothing, but conveys to Phelaia a sense of stoic readiness should he be needed.

Parlortricks
2019-02-08, 05:43 PM
The words Amé gave Arcavat forced the corner of his lips to tug into a smirk before it returned to its previous smile. He hadn't expected her to be so trusting, but perhaps the fact that she was meant something. Not that she could ever stop him from being wary of suddenly being transported into another location filled with strangers without warning.

The drow folded the letter in his hand and put it in his pocket for safekeeping. There was something uniting all of them, shining at least a little bit of light into this strange situation. Many mysteries remained, but for now, he could ease his tense muscles. At the moment, it didn't seem like these women were after him. Though, speaking of something shining… Arcavat's gaze had drifted at the stone at the center of their group, lit up by a beam of light from above. As the rest were conversing and doing their best to make some sense of the situation, the wizard walked to the stone to take a better look at it.

Though he did glance at the woman who called herself Arisanna, letting slip something he had never heard about this… Maldiorn. It wasn't like the two of them had talked much about what they did for a living, but it seemed she knew more about that than him.

"Arcavat," he introduced himself, briefly, as he stopped in front of the stone, leaning closer to look at what was etched into it – though he didn't fancy touching it just yet. He continued speaking, but his attention was focused on the rock.
"Smoke could be unrelated – in fact, I would consider such likely. People, settlements. They exist. Something to keep in mind now that we have been whisked into the wilderness. I assume all of us wish to survive, yes?"

JNAProductions
2019-02-08, 05:52 PM
If we do, Celina says, we'd probably be best investigating the settlements. Either they're friendly, and we can help them and be helped in turn, or... We're not so lucky, and have to tread carefully.

violet42
2019-02-08, 07:48 PM
“Tread carefully, my foot! The only course of action now’s to march on in an’ give them what for! If they’re friendly, great; they can help us figure out what in the Dark Pits we’re doing here. If they’re evil, well; that’s why you got me.” A booming dwarven voice emanates from the shield in Celina’s hands.

JNAProductions
2019-02-08, 07:53 PM
Celina chuckles, but shakes her head. Orin, isn't that exactly what you tried to do? And, well... You're a shield now, she says. While I certainly feel... Empowered, since the letter and receiving you, I'd rather not let it all go to waste.

Oh... And for everyone else, this shield is Orin Darkbrew, she says, holding the shield out. I was raised by one of his descendants-Dain Darkbrew. If I had to guess, she adds, looking to the rest of her companions, You've probably got something like him too?

Amé speaks, but quietly, so only Arcavat can hear. I won't reveal myself without your consent, darling. I know you're a twitchy type-and unlike some, she says, somehow managing to indicate Orin without actually moving, I have a degree of tact.

violet42
2019-02-08, 08:03 PM
“What, a dwarf can’t have himself a second try?” Orin continues to grumble good-naturedly as Phelaia speaks up.

“I haven’t got a dwarven shield exactly, but I do have this.” The paladin lifts Mikaphet’s amulet up to show the pendant to the circle.

Ramsus
2019-02-08, 08:13 PM
Human Geomancer

"You were raised by a shield?" Eline asks jokingly as she just begins walking in the direction of the nearest smoke plume, figuring there was no point wasting time discussing it when in her mind it was probably a foregone conclusion that that's what they would decide by committee sooner or later anyway since at least two of them were in agreement already.
She whispers to her key, "Going to introduce yourself?"

"Hrrrm. Yes, let us be away from here as the farm girl has clearly decided. This is a poor place to stay still. Amongst the darkness with no fortifications and illuminated for every fiend to see from afar." Mikaphet states, more concerned on them simply not staying here than agreeing with any particular course as of yet.

JNAProductions
2019-02-08, 08:20 PM
Bringing Orin in closer, leaving him at the ready, Celina starts walking for the lights. I'll lead the way, unless anyone else wants to.

By the way, I'm popping up Detect Magic from Magical Insight. It'll let me see what's magical in my party, but I doubt Celina will have any particular comments on them.

Arzanyos
2019-02-09, 06:38 AM
Arcavat's closer look reveals an inscription on the stone. It's faded, but with the help of the sunlight, can be red with little to no trouble. In common, it reads as follows.

For all those we have lost. May your dreams be reflected in golden light. There is no signature.

Celina's magic detection notes that not only does each of her new friends have a magical item, they all have some command of magic themselves. In addition, there is a subtle magic coming from the stone Arcavat is reading.

Parlortricks
2019-02-09, 09:51 AM
Arcavat let the others do whatever it was they wanted to do, his interest piqued by the stone. It looked quite… Old, the text written on it suffering the wear of time. The occasional new voice from behind him made the wizard glance over his shoulder, noticing that he was not the only one with a talking magical item. Yet another thing he shared with another in this group of strangers…

They all were quite hasty however, already wishing to keep going. Understandable, considering they were out in the open – but Arcavat was still in the middle of something…
"Leaving already?" He asked, straightening his back and turning to the rest of the group.

violet42
2019-02-09, 03:41 PM
Phelaia begins to follow Celina, but then looks back at Arcavat. “I think we were planning to, yes— unless there is something about that stone that offers some explanation?”

Parlortricks
2019-02-09, 04:45 PM
Arcavat glanced back at the stone as the Tiefling asked her question.
"Nothing that would be immediately obvious," he admitted, his short investigation quite unfruitful this far,
"But… I do not think it is a coincidence, that we ended up here."

violet42
2019-02-09, 08:27 PM
“I don’t think it is either. But I also don’t see a reason all of us strangers would be brought here. You don’t happen to—” No, that’s ridiculous. Phelaia shakes her head and doesn’t continue. She turns and follows the rest of the group again.

This feels like a puzzle... the kind Shaile used to make me do. But why?

JNAProductions
2019-02-09, 08:56 PM
Well, it's magic, for one, Celina says. But if I had to hazard a guess, it'll still be magical when we return-if we return.

Amé laughs in Arcavat's ear. No coincidence? My, you must be the most astute of all who have been gathered here! Truly, a remarkable feat of cogitation!

Arzanyos
2019-02-10, 07:26 AM
The mystery of the magic stone, among others, in the back of their minds for now, the group heads down the ridge towards the closest fire. It's subtle, but a glance backwards at the shaft of light seems to bring things into focus, helping keep the unfamiliar land clear in your head, as it turns into a sparse forest. As the light dims and the stone leaves view, all the trees start to look alike. Furthermore, you notice that the flame you are heading towards is actually several small fires, probably no bigger than a campfire.

JNAProductions
2019-02-10, 11:21 AM
Alright, Celina says quietly. Who here can be sneaky? I know that's not your style, Orin, but it's better to get an eye on the situation BEFORE rushing in.

violet42
2019-02-10, 12:11 PM
Orin snorts, but he does lower his voice to a normal speaking volume. Compared to his regular booming voice, he’s barely audible. “You’re headed into a scrap either way I see it, but I’ll shut my gibbering mouth. You ambush ‘em like some namby-pamby elves. When they turn out being a bunch a’ rogue cannibal orcs, you can’t say Orin didn’t told you so.”

“Not me, I’m afraid. This,” Phelaia gestures to her horns and armor, “doesn’t exactly lend itself to creeping around in forests.” From behind a tree, Phelaia squints to see if she can make out any figures near the fires.

Parlortricks
2019-02-10, 12:51 PM
Arcavat raised an eyebrow as the Tiefling was about to ask him a question, but did not press when she decided to stop. Everyone else was itching to leave, and even if he wished to stay behind, on his own he would not survive long. That didn't leave him too many options.

Though he gave Amé a quiet shush with a smirk. If she wished to comment on it, she could have offered her help instead…

Forced to leave the stone behind, the wizard made sure to take a good look at his surroundings while he still had the higher ground. These parts were not familiar to him, so it was important to try to find some landmarks and be able to keep their course.

Arcavat stayed closer to the back, letting the others to lead the way unless there was something he saw that he felt he should correct. Their self-appointed leader no one had objected to – Celina, if he could remember the name right – was the one who stopped them once the source of the smoke was close enough, wishing for a more careful approach. The drow gave a small nod to such an idea, preferring caution as well.

Of course, the spirit in her shield did not share her thoughts, even if he relented. The comment about namby-pamby elves was enough for Arcavat to let out throaty hrm, however.

"I am not much for stealth, these days. A sneaking drow would reflect quite poorly on us, in any case."

Ramsus
2019-02-10, 01:30 PM
Human Geomancer

"Eh?" Eline questioned, rather surprised. How un-drow like. Or maybe they were being drow-like and lying about not being drow-like. Hmmmmmmmmm.
That thought on her mind she said, "Well, I can give it a go."

Parlortricks
2019-02-10, 01:55 PM
Arcavat's eyes turned towards the young human, the first one who offered her skills to the stealth mission. It did not seem to be a terribly judging gaze.
"In case there is trouble, do you have a way to alert us?"

Ramsus
2019-02-10, 05:06 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline thinks about this for a moment and then says, "I have a whistle. I could make a bird call with it?" taking out the whistle she gives an example, choosing to imitate a kind of bird she's fairly certain wouldn't live in this area.

emduck
2019-02-10, 06:25 PM
"I'm not much for sneaking around, myself," Arisanna says. "But perhaps I could give you a hand?"

Ramsus
2019-02-10, 08:09 PM
Human Geomancer

"Sure?" Eline replies, not quite sure what Arisanna has in mind.

JNAProductions
2019-02-10, 11:34 PM
Not an ambush, Orin-scouting. Recon. Proper caution, Celina says. If you're gonna go, Eline-it was Eline, right?-do NOT engage them. I don't care if they're the nicest-looking folk you've ever seen, or ravening, bloodthirsty loons, I don't want any of us trying to handle this on our own.

The bird call is a good idea.

emduck
2019-02-11, 01:19 AM
"It should make it easier for you to go unseen. It's probably easier to show you?"

Arisanna mutters under her breath and goes through the motions of casting a spell. She reaches out, and if Eline lets her, will briefly place a hand on her arm.

Guidance

Ramsus
2019-02-11, 01:59 AM
Human Geomancer

Eline nods affirmatively at the instructions and allows the touch. "Ah!" she says, getting what the half-elf meant once she was touched.
"Oakhay, I'll see y'all soon." she says and departs, sneaking away much quicker than you'd think would be effective.

Since as it turns out I am sneaking alone, Natural Explorer kicks in here and I can move stealthily at normal pace.

[roll0] + [roll1] = 22

Arzanyos
2019-02-11, 07:23 PM
Eline reaches the fires with surprising speed, slipping quietly past the few sentries. The place is some sort of makeshift camp, with the fires serving the place of tents or other structures that would provide heat. Most of the inhabitants don't seem to mind as they are laying haphazardly on the floor, off in their own little worlds. In fact, out of the 30 or so people in the camp, only six are doing much of anything, and that's counting the three sentries.

Near the middle of the camp, two humans and a gnome are struggling to turn a felled tree into a suitable bonfire. They are arguing as they do so. Would you like to eavesdrop, or take some other course of action?

Ramsus
2019-02-11, 08:12 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline figures she might as well listen in. Who knows if they'd get a chance to know what these people are really thinking if they came back later openly.

Arzanyos
2019-02-12, 12:06 AM
"We don't have the supplies." The gnome says. "We have almost no food, actually no arrows, and in a few days, we'll be out of Summerdream. I'm scared to think what will happen to this lot then." "I tell you again, Arden, it's time to give up on these lost souls here." The new speaker is a burly, tanned human, with an empty quiver at his back. "If we ration the supplies, and get lucky foraging, the six of us can get back to our village, but we're sitting ducks carrying all this dead weight."
There's a lull in the conversation, owing to a particularly troublesome branch, before the third of the group speaks up. "Arden, Rolant, listen. Would you really abandon your friends, your family, to the darkness like that? Could you live with yourself after that? I see we stick it out. I can scout again, see if I can find one of those people who helped as last time. It's a gamble, but it's one we should take."

Ramsus
2019-02-12, 02:09 AM
Human Geomancer

Eline breathes a sigh of relief. Decent and reasonable people where certainly what she hoped to find, but she hadn't dared to go so far as to expect it. She makes her way back to the group, giving the signal on her approach and when she rejoins them does her best to communicate to them what she saw and heard.

JNAProductions
2019-02-12, 08:39 AM
That's great news-well, in a way, Celina says. If they ARE having trouble figuring out how to get everyone back safely, we need to help them-but at least they're not hostile, from first appearances. We should link up with them, see what we can do.

With that said, if no one objects, Celina will begin walking towards their camp, making no particular effort to hide herself. When she's near enough to be heard without having to yell out too loudly, she calls out in a strong, clear voice, saying Hello! We come in peace.

violet42
2019-02-12, 12:17 PM
Phelaia hangs back, not wanting the group by the campfire to be startled by her appearance. They seem friendly, but she’s learned in the small amount of time she’s been outside the temple that approaching slowly and non-threateningly is key.

Orin is still muttering to himself about the futility of trying to make friends with these suspicious people, but only loud enough for Celina to hear.

Parlortricks
2019-02-12, 05:09 PM
Arcavat gave the girl a nod, content with the bird call. That was about all he could offer when it came to the situation, but when one of the others – Arisanna, that was how she had referred to herself earlier – went over to cast some magic over Eline, his eyes locked on the pair, seeming quite interested in the whole process.

The girl left, her stride looking like she knew exactly what she was doing – or perhaps it was the opposite and she really didn't know what to do? Arcavat said nothing. He didn't know Eline or what she could do, so she was going to have to show it to him herself. The drow kept quiet, listening for any signs that might indicate that there might be trouble – and waited.

And waited, until the girl came back to view, unharmed. And she had quite the tale with her, one that caused Arcavat to frown slightly. It was in his nature to be suspicious, so he wasn't as relieved as some of the others in the group seemed to be. If Eline had managed to remain undetected, there was no reason for the men to put on a show, and a larger group could offer more protection and make sure they survived the night. But still…
"…I cannot comment on whether they truly are friends or foes. Stay on your toes."

…It seemed like there was something to learn. Something that might have been what many did not wish to learn. Such curiosity was difficult – if not impossible – to ignore.

The drow acted much like the tiefling, sticking to the back.

Arzanyos
2019-02-13, 03:33 AM
Rolant whips his head around to look at the half-elf. "Hail. In peace we greet you, but I fear that if you beg shelter, then in peace we must also bid you farewell. We can spare no provisions for outsiders, nor even enough for ourselves."

None of you can remember anything about Summerdream.

Ramsus
2019-02-13, 04:55 AM
Human Geomancer

"Hail." Eline replies with a friendly smile, mentally chuckling to herself and Scout knowing she's saying it as in the ice that falls from the sky, "That's ok. We were just wondering what y'all folks are doing all the ways out here."

Arzanyos
2019-02-13, 05:51 AM
"Playing shepherd to those who dream of light." Arden sighs, gesturing to those lying by the fires. "What of you? Have you gone wandering from your village?"

JNAProductions
2019-02-13, 12:34 PM
It's a bit of a story. Suffice to say, we were brought out here by someone we trust, Celina replies. But we aren't here to take from you-we're here to help, if at all possible. My name is Celina, and from what Eline heard, you're struggling with how you're going to get everyone back. We sent her ahead, sneaking, in case you were dangerous-I'm sure you can understand the precaution.

As she talks, Celina moves forward, coming fully into the light. We've not much, if any, experience with the world outside the city, but if you can direct us to where food can be found, if it's too dangerous for you to forage or hunt, we can do it ourselves, and bring what we can back.

Parlortricks
2019-02-13, 01:54 PM
Arcavat stayed out of the introductory greetings, content to just observe the situation. Indeed, just like the girl had told them, the ground was littered with people who were awake but dreaming. Not a completely unfamiliar sight, but it wasn't one he ever expected to see in the middle of the woods. Seemed like a good way to get killed.

His gaze drifted from the drugged people to the other, newer strangers who were engaged in a conversation with, well, his group. The one that had seemingly become a leader of sorts, Celina, was awfully eager to help these complete strangers – who might not even be as innocent as first assumed. Then again, perhaps with the story she gave the others, they too seemed quite suspicious themselves. The drow let out a throaty chuckle.

"Not that all suspicion has been cleared completely. It is not everyday one stumbles into a group in the wilderness looking like they took a couple of hits too many while chasing the pixies."

Arcavat's tone didn't sound very accusatory, despite the suggestion that these people might have been up to no good. The smile had not left his lips and there was a certain glint in his eye. Testing, but he wasn't blaming anyone. Not yet, at least.

[roll0]

Arzanyos
2019-02-13, 04:48 PM
"Thank you, we won't turn down any hel-,did you say something about a city? That's impossible. There are no cities here."

At Arcavat's comment, Rolant shrugs and harrumphs non-commitally. "Not everyday, but a lot. Fools seek solace in dreams of light, and blind themselves to the toil of life."

All three are wary, but also desperate. There's a hint of hopefulness in Tomas, the third guys tone, while Rolant clearly has his guard up.

JNAProductions
2019-02-13, 05:06 PM
No... City? Celina queries, looking rather taken aback. Then we are very far from home. All the more reason to help you, I suppose-we could use some allies if we want to return.

violet42
2019-02-13, 05:24 PM
Phelaia slowly steps into view of Tomas and Rolant, trying to look non-threatening. “Hail, good fellows. Please don’t be alarmed, I come in peace with them. Have your poor companions been poisoned?” She gestures to the people lying on the ground.

Using Emissary of Peace to get +5 to Persuasion for 10 minutes. Can I also make a Medicine check to try and see why the people are lying on the ground?
[roll0]

Arzanyos
2019-02-14, 05:37 AM
Tomas and Rolant are shocked to see a tiefling, but seem in no mood to question. Notably, they also drop the matter of a supposed city rather quickly."Er, sort of. They've taken a drug, yes, but it was by their own choice, poor as it may have been." "It's called Summerdream." Rolant chimes in. "Nasty stuff. Makes you see light, then saps your strength something terrible."

Meanwhile, Arden starts coordinating a plan with Celina. "Food is our biggest issue for no. Problem is, basically the only game around here is boars and wolves. To get enough meat to feed this lot, you would need to track down the one, and use it to lure the other."

Yeah, they're drugged. Besides that and malnourishment/superficial cuts and bruises, they seem fine. Nothing that would have to be accounted for magically.

Ramsus
2019-02-14, 12:31 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline looks at the assembled number of people and thinks for a bit. "I could probably feed everyone here while we lead them back to the city, but it would use most of my magic every day. What do y'all think?"

violet42
2019-02-14, 03:01 PM
Phelaia speaks. “I have enough rations here to last myself a tenday. It’s nothing fancy, (and it’s been in my pack Eldath-knows-how-long), so perhaps relying on magic is our only option now.”

emduck
2019-02-14, 05:01 PM
"I've a bit of food," Arisanna agrees. "And while I can't make more, if we find any, I can keep it good to eat." She looks from Celina to Arden. "I've little experience as a hunter, but perhaps I can help track."

Parlortricks
2019-02-14, 07:08 PM
Arcavat eyed the group from the sidelines, seeming to be the only one who wasn't jumping at joy at the idea of sharing their food or foraging for more – the numbers didn't seem like they added up to them actually having enough, even if they all pooled their resources together. But Eline… She seemed to have a magical solution, something the wizard was of course a fan of. His gaze settled on the girl.

"Sapping your magic is something that could get you killed. But as it is, there are too many hungry mouths to feed and not enough helping hands to make it probable. You can take into account what already exists, how much would need to be gathered every day and the fact that one does not need to eat every single day to stay alive… But it seems like a losing battle, especially when taking into account the chances that people could get hurt while foraging."

JNAProductions
2019-02-14, 10:29 PM
Celina begins to talk tactics with Arden, but when Eline brings up her capabilities, she stops. That'd probably be for the best. If you can do that, we can guard them, but move faster than we could ordinarily, since we don't have to forage. How far is your destination?

Ramsus
2019-02-15, 12:31 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline shrugs and replies to Arcavat, "I'd rather risk not having enough magic to use than not finding enough food for everyone. Lots of mouths to feed and it doesn't seem like there's lots of animals around. Not normal ones anyhow."

At Celina's words she looks to her magic key and says, "You're good at these kinds of things. How many days do you think it'd take us to get these folks to the city Scout?"

emduck, I don't expect you to actually know the answer to that. It just seemed like if anyone would, Scout would be the best person to judge that kind of distance. Hopefully when Arzanyos sees this, they'll just put an answer to the question in the OOC or tell you if you need to roll for it.

Parlortricks
2019-02-15, 01:00 PM
Arcavat closed his eyes and smiled at Eline's decision. It seemed to be so simple to her, to decide that this was what she should be doing. In fact, it seemed like everyone else in the group agreed with her sentiments. Perhaps that was why Maldiorn had chosen them. He seemed like the sappy sort.
"If it is your choice," he gave the girl a nod.

emduck
2019-02-15, 05:12 PM
You can almost hear Scout thinking.

"Three days or thereabouts, if we pushed them hard," she says. "Longer if we don't. Though to be frank I'm not sure we can, in their present state."

Arzanyos
2019-02-16, 04:26 AM
"You definitely can't. Believe me, we tried." Arden stops short, suddenly afraid. "Wait... who said that? Phantom voices, talk of cities... you're demon worshippers, aren't you?"

violet42
2019-02-16, 10:56 AM
Phelaia steps back a little and shakes her head nervously, trying to dispell Arden’s doubt. “No, no, not at all! We are merely followers of Eldath trying to traverse these mysterious woods. That phantom voice you heard was, um...”
She looks around nervously at her companions for help, being unused to lying.

“Twas me!” Orin shouts triumphantly. Finally he had a chance to speak and not simply pretend to be a chunk of wood. “I am Orin Darkbrew, master of the axe and brew alike. Although you seemed frankly untrustworthy at first, I have been persuaded not to attack you.”

Parlortricks
2019-02-16, 11:47 AM
A voice, even Arcavat caught that – and it seemed like the gnome did, too. Frightened and already jumping to conclusions, just their luck. The drow couldn't help but smirk at the thought of them being demon worshippers – though the tiefling, perhaps understandably, seemed to be quite shaken by the accusation. He couldn't help but chuckle when the boisterous shield decided to chime in and take the blame…

"Sometimes a magical item develops a personality of their own. Very troublesome – especially if they are as loud as this one."

He hadn't forgotten the earlier comment.

JNAProductions
2019-02-16, 12:34 PM
We're no demon worshippers! Celina says. This shield houses the soul of my father's ancestor. He gave his life trying to push back the darkness.

violet42
2019-02-16, 12:51 PM
“Might try to push you back too, if you keep bandying this demon-worshipper folly about. If we were a cult-joining sort, Celina here could have killed you by now.” ​

Ramsus
2019-02-16, 05:16 PM
Human Geomancer

Mikaphet de Ancarilla gives a loud "Harumph!" at being accused of being a demon worshiper or accompanying any.

Eline for her part just sighs and says, "Y'all are being a bit too defensive. Most folk don't hear voices from the air and think first of talking objects."

Mikaphet gives another, though less loud, "Harumph!" at being called a "talking object".

JNAProductions
2019-02-16, 05:17 PM
Fair-fair, but all the same... Celina says, thinking. What can we do to prove to you our intentions are good? I certainly understand a healthy bit of caution, but we truly do wish to help.

Arzanyos
2019-02-17, 02:48 AM
The trio considers this new information for several minutes, and then Arden returns, considerably less perturbed. "Okay, we've decided to believe you want to help us, regardless of being possessed or ventriloquists or whatever. But we're not letting you take us to this mythical city of yours." She motions you guys over to a small stockpile, surrounded by a ring of crude spikes. "Don't mind those. Our patients sometimes get impatient for their fix. Our village, Alderhame, is about twenty miles away, to the northwest. Given the condition of our group, we could get there in a day and a half, perhaps. We have food for one day, half rations. Summerdream enough for two."

Tomas tries to manage a reassuring smile. It doesn't quite work. "You seem new to these parts. Grant us food and safe passage, and perhaps we can find some way to help you in return."

emduck
2019-02-17, 02:53 AM
"I think I'll have to object to that as well," Scout agrees. "Oh gods, child, now you've got me doing it."

"Look, I'm as confused about all this as anyone," Arisanna says, absently fiddling with the quill stuck behind her ear. "I'm not...entirely sure what's happening here. But it certainly isn't demon worshipers. We just want to help you help these people."

Whoops, got ninja'd. Though I don't think this'll change anything in Arzanyos' post, so I'll leave it if that's okay

Ramsus
2019-02-17, 05:18 AM
Human Geomancer

Eline clamps a hand over her mouth to suppress a laugh. Between Mikaphet and Scout that was just too amusing for her.

When Arden finishes she says, still with a bit of a smirk she couldn't quite wipe from her face just yet, "Oh. Y'all have a village? Well sure then, I'd love to see what other places look like. And maybe if y'all have any crops we don't have back home." She pauses and realizes she's gone off a bit on a tangent and continues, "So do you want me to summon up that food now then? Might as well save your supplies while you can. Never know what's going ta happen right?"

JNAProductions
2019-02-17, 12:25 PM
Celina nods. Thank you. Eline, she says, while you're getting food, I'll look around and start patrolling the perimeter-if you guys think that's a good idea, she directs towards Arden. You've got more experience out here than we do, so what should I have an eye out for?

Arzanyos
2019-02-18, 01:32 AM
"I think we can hold off on the food for the moment. If we can summon it magically, might as well wait until people are hungry to have to start lugging it around."

Meanwhile, Rolant fields Celina's question. "Oh, the usual. Wolves, boars, maybe a Nightshade. Those we should watch out for, but should be manageable. If you see any Kenku, or worse, Darklings, then we're really in trouble. In any case, the Summerdream should start wear off soon. We'll be able to move out in twenty minutes, more or less."

JNAProductions
2019-02-18, 11:57 AM
Nightshades? Celina asks.

Would I have any knowledge of them? Or is this something totally new to me?

violet42
2019-02-18, 12:09 PM
Phelaia hasn’t noticed Rolant listing off the various things that could kill them and instead walks over the people lying on the forest floor. She puts her hands on one man’s arm and attempts to siphon the “poison” from his body.

She’s using Lay on Hands, which I don’t know would work, but Phelaia is still under the assumption that these guys are poisoned.

Also, does Orin know what any of the creatures Rolant listed are? Nightshades, Darklings, and Kenku specifically. Nature:[roll0] edit: Orin has a +1 to INT but that probably doesn’t matter.

Arzanyos
2019-02-18, 04:04 PM
"Aye, Nightshades. Big, dark purple, wicked claws. Solitary, though."

The tiefling's medicating seems to work, and the man's eyes return to focus. He looks around, still feeble, before finding who healed him. "Where... where did the light go? Why did you do that?"

Ramsus
2019-02-19, 05:10 AM
"Pfah!" calls out Mikaphet. "Nightshades are foul things, but nowhere near the worst we could find out here in the dark. Spawns of darkness and foot-soldiers of Night's Terror. I'd be more worried about the Kenku though. Devious little bird bastards. Serve whatever master is stronger then 'em and serve people right up to 'em. They see all of us together it's not them we have to worry about, too fair odds. It's who they'd skulk off and gawk about us to that'd be the trouble."

violet42
2019-02-19, 07:16 AM
"Where... where did the light go? Why did you do that?"

”Don’t worry sir, your time to reach the eternal light of Eldath shall not come for years yet. Be glad, for you’re no longer poisoned, and you’ve awoken to new allies!” As she says this, she looks around to the other figures laying about.
“I don’t think I have enough power to heal all the others, though. How are we to travel with them?” she addresses the question to all present.

Parlortricks
2019-02-19, 09:01 AM
Arcavat was focused on the conversation at hand, listening quietly as the group tried to hammer down the details. The talk of whatever adversaries they might run into was particularly interesting – Nightshades he knew of along with the usual wolves and boars, but the other two creatures ended up being unknown to him, no matter how much he tried to recall reading or hearing about them before this moment. A thought that just seemed to made him get excited, knowing that something that unknown to him could be near them.

Eeeeven if those things were something that seemed to be a very bad thing to run into.

"How interesting," the drow spoke up after being quiet for some time, stroking his chin. His expression suggested he was starting to get into this.
"There is one other thing I would like to ask about. I am not familiar with this drug of yours, but considering that you both dislike its use and yet still provide it to this lot… What are we to expect once it runs out? Very bad withdrawal symptoms?"

Arzanyos
2019-02-20, 06:20 AM
The formerly drugged man looks confusedly at Phelaia's statement. He's shielding his eyes, even though there should be no reason to do so. ""I haven't seen you before. Where are you from?"

Rolant tenses up. He doesn't seem comfortable talking about this. "...It starts out fine enough. They'll regain their strength, although their eyesight goes weak. But it affects the mind. The need to 'see the light'. They become obsessed with it. They wander off on their own, looking for the drug. I've heard, if it gets far enough..." He trails off, not wanting to finish the sentence. "In any case, the others will wake soon. Once they do, care and lies will make them move."

As the conversation goes on, Tomas has slipped away from the group, and has started to confer with the sentries to pack up the camp and ready it to move.

I'm giving you time to talk more/make last minute preparations. If there's nothing else that jumps out, then, I'll timeskip us to traveling in the morning.

Parlortricks
2019-02-20, 10:27 AM
The drow let out a rather vague hm-hmm as he listened to the description of the drug's effects. The man seemed quite… Uneasy, but perhaps Arcavat's appraising gaze looking him up and down didn't help the matters. While there were still many missing pieces in this puzzle, Arcavat didn't ask any further questions – for now.

He glanced at the rest of the group. At this point, it was quite clear that they were going. Even if he didn't want to get involved, by now, it was rather difficult to back away.
"Does anyone happen to have any cartography skills or tools with them? It could be useful to know how we can find our way back," Arcavat asked, mostly referring to the group he had met earlier, but it wasn't like he was keeping his voice down.

violet42
2019-02-20, 11:56 AM
Phelaia pulls away from the formerly drugged man instinctively, then responds to Arcavat. “No, I don’t have any skills of that sort. They were never necessary at the temple.”

I’m fine with skipping ahead.

Ramsus
2019-02-20, 02:02 PM
Human Geomancer

Gives a little laugh at Arcavat's question and replies, "Sorry. Before all this I was just a simple farm girl. Though I do know some things about potions and tinctures and salves and the like. So I could maybe examine this drug if we're ever somewhere we can sit still for a while if that'd be helpful." and she gives a shrug.

emduck
2019-02-20, 02:45 PM
Arisanna turns to the drow. "I can help with that, I think," she says, pulling out a battered wooden case and taking the owl feather quill from behind her ear. She cracks open the case and then gives the dirty gray ball of the sun a critical look. "Let's see."

Is there a check I could/should make to keep track of our location and try and make sure we can find this place again if we want to?
Otherwise, also fine with skipping ahead.

Parlortricks
2019-02-20, 03:43 PM
Arcavat looks at Eline, a smile tugging at the corners of his lips.
"Just a simple farm girl with the ability to create food," he chuckled as he pointed out her capabilities – or at least, what she said she could do. A rather useful ability, one that would have made some days easier in the past…

But despite the first few misses, there eventually was a hit as Arisanna offered her abilities. The drow's gaze turned towards her, quite content to see that she indeed seemed to be carrying tools with her. Even if she didn't sound confident, someone without any skill certainly wouldn't be hauling something like that around, now would they?
"Ah, much obliged."

Arzanyos
2019-02-21, 03:26 AM
The convoy begins traveling. It's slow going, both from the weakness of many of the travelers and the need for stealth. Fortunately, there are no unwanted disturbances during the first leg of the journey, some three hours and seven miles. Once the drugged villagers start to flag, and the group becomes looking for a place to rest and eat, the forward scouts note something: Up ahead is a small clearing, with the half-burnt carcass of a giant boar inside.

It's about 5:30-6.

Ramsus
2019-02-21, 05:13 AM
Human Geomancer

"I'll go check this out." Eline says. Assuming nobody objects, she sneaks off, making sure to not actually enter the clearing where she'd be clearly visible. She snickers to herself a bit at unvoiced the pun.

Stealth: [roll0]
If I can assume I get Guidance again: [roll1]

Parlortricks
2019-02-21, 10:43 AM
When Arisanna is focusing on her work and more or less alone without anyone disturbing her, there is almost like the sound of someone clearing their throat that she can hear. Or… Hear? It did not seem like something her ears picked up, but she heard it nonetheless.
"Do not be alarmed. I have waited for an opportunity to make my presence known without being too overwhelming, considering… The events that have transpired," a feminine voice echoed in Arisanna's mind, almost sounding like it was doing its best to sound prim and proper, but there was a hint of hesitation and uncertainty.

"…Nevertheless. You may call me Noctus. Let us continue this later, when time is not of the essence."

Arcavat spent his free time resting up for the time when they needed to move, but when that time came, it seemed like it had been quite unnecessary. They were slow, so it wasn't very taxing. It was almost pleasant, in a while. The drow had squeezed his way in the middle of the group, protected from all sides and allowing his eye and mind to wander. He had missed it – wandering, that was. Maybe this was a good timing, after all…

Their herd of barely aware people couldn't even carry that pace for long, and soon they were going to have to rest. Before they could, it seemed that the scouts had made a discovery of some sort. A discovery that could have mean there was something nearby. Eline wanted to sneak off to check it out.
"Alone?" Arcavat asked, his eyes on the girl. He didn't sound like he was stopping her, but he did seem like he wanted her to think it through before she made her final decision.

JNAProductions
2019-02-21, 11:43 AM
Orin, give her a blessing, Celina says, getting the shield to Guide their scout. Good luck, Eline. Stay safe-same birdcall if you need help?

Amè murmurs to Arcavat You weren't so concerned before. What changed? Already getting attached?

Parlortricks
2019-02-21, 12:38 PM
For a moment, there is a wider grin on the drow's face as Amé did her best to get under his skin. Not a comment he could really respond to without looking insane – then again, not that it would have changed much and the rest of the others who dealt with pesky talking items most likely understood what was going on. No one else seemed to be worried about what might be waiting for the girl.
"Keep an eye for any ambushes. It could be nothing, it could be a trap… Or it could be that the animal wandered into something no one should."

Because of course he would assume everything could be a trap or an ambush.

Ramsus
2019-02-21, 02:53 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline gives Celina a smile and a nod. She just gives Arcavat a blank look for a moment and then says, "Thanks Mom." though with mirth, clearly just feigning being annoyed for the sake of humor.

Parlortricks
2019-02-21, 03:06 PM
Arcavat can't help it when a deep, throaty chuckle forces its way out, his eyes pushed into a squint by his smile. It was quite rare for someone to act so cordial in his presence, but that wasn't the only surprise the girl brought to the table.
"Careful. That is a death sentence for me," he replied, still sounding amused and the smile hadn't gone anywhere. Maybe that too was a joke.

violet42
2019-02-21, 09:19 PM
As Eline heads into the boar carcass, Phelaia watches with a worried expression. ”If something could kill a beast that big, how can we know it’s not still around?” she asks Arcavat, barely noticing his uncharacteristic smile. “I mean— they aren’t supposed to grow that big, right?”

She takes a seat on the ground next to Arisanna, looking to the carcass every few minutes just in case.

Arzanyos
2019-02-22, 03:18 AM
Eline's stealth comes in handy once more, and nobody sees her as she scouts. However, she doesn't see anybody else either. From what she can make out of the boar without entering the clearing, it was killed by fire, as well as two arrows. Recently, enough so that it should be harvestable for rations.

emduck
2019-02-22, 04:06 AM
Earlier--

Arisanna touches the quill behind her ear without thinking. "You too?" she says incredulously under her breath. How long had she had that quill? Longer than was plausible, surely, now that she thought about it. "People call me Ari. Though I suppose you've probably gathered that." She really had not known the librarian at all, had she?

Now--

Arisanna nods in agreement. looking between Phelaia and the creature. "What would kill it and just leave it behind? It doesn't seem that food would be easy to come by out here." She shakes her head.

Scout--

OOC--Can the items speak telepathically? If not, I don't think she'd risk speaking aloud so close to it, but if so:

"Careful now," Scout breathes--so quietly it might not be a sound at all. "You wouldn't want to end up like me just yet, I think. Arrows mean intelligence--of a sort at least. Maybe your new mother isn't so wrong."

Ramsus
2019-02-22, 04:52 AM
Human Geomancer

Eline scratches her head mentally replies to Scout, "Yup. That's what I was thinking too." and then skulks on back to the others and tells them what she saw. She adds, "I'd say it makes more sense that maybe I missed something than that's just the whole truth to what's goin' on there. As that seems mighty weird. I think Scout thinks it's a trap. Right Scout?"

((I think it'd be reasonable for the items to be able to speak telepathically, at least to their owners.))

Parlortricks
2019-02-22, 09:03 AM
Arcavat glances at the Tiefling, her questions almost seeming like they were aimed at him in particular rather than to everyone. She too seemed quite worried. The wizard flashed a smile.
"We can't," he replied with something that wasn't very reassuring, but he didn't seem to be so upset. Whatever had killed the boar could very well still be around indeed – and Eline hopefully wasn't going to be the next carcass on the clearing.
"I cannot say if it should or shouldn't, not having seen the boar with my own eyes. But it could. Perhaps it is not going to be the only thing larger than you would expect out here."

But what killed it? Another question with no clear answer, until they got more information. Luckily, it didn't take long for the scouting girl to return to their group with news of what she had seen. A fresh kill with arrows. Arcavat stroked his chin.
"Certainly sounds like it could be bait. Not necessarily meant for us, but if it's meat they're after, well, we carry that on our bones as well," the drow offered his two cents, grinning,
"A bit odd, still. I would figure there's more meat on that boar than a pack of wolves – better tasting, too…"

"…Of course, it could be that the boar just wandered into a trap and hasn't been collected yet. Or perhaps whoever killed it was just in a hurry. I would personally avoid going nearby, but…"

His voice trailed off, his gaze eyeing the rest of the group. He could not make their choices for them, after all.

violet42
2019-02-22, 11:43 AM
“I know it would be wise to steer clear and camp somewhere else, but perhaps investigating its body could tell us what exactly killed it. Then again...” Phelaia looks back at the drugged people and their weary watchers. “We shouldn’t put them in danger.”

Parlortricks
2019-02-24, 01:45 PM
"Curious?" Arcavat smiled, looking at Phelaia. He knew that feeling well.
"We could attract something these people can't outrun. Of course, it's possible it is something we should know so we can prepare for it. There is not much light left, considering a camp has to be set up as well. By tomorrow, the boar will be gone," he continued, perhaps playing the devil's advocate here. He had said what he thought should be done, but perhaps he too was curious. Perhaps it was easier to have someone else make the risky choice.

"I would use a decoy."

violet42
2019-02-24, 03:48 PM
Phelaia almost asks what kind of decoy Arcavat thinks would tempt a giant boar, but she can’t bear the thought of putting the commoners in danger. They’re certainly in no shape to fight.
“I think we should camp here and take turns keeping watch during the night. If the boar comes back, we will have light to see by or perhaps it will be warded off entirely.”

Parlortricks
2019-02-24, 03:52 PM
Arcavat raises an eyebrow and glances past Phelaia before looking back at her.
"If the boar comes searching for us, I'd be worried about the undead problem on our hands."

Arzanyos
2019-02-25, 01:25 AM
The groups deliberation is cut short by a sheepish Tomas. "Err, if it's all right, may we have that food now? We should be able to start traveling again in an hour." He's putting on a brave face, but his dreams of traveling more today might be a bit reckless.

Ramsus
2019-02-25, 02:08 AM
Human Geomancer

"Of course!" Eline says and finds a good spot to conjure up some food at and arranges for as many available containers of water as they can provide. Upon doing so she conjures up some fairly simple but robust fare. Various cuts of steak with salt and pepper, eggs prepared in almost a dozen different ways, slices of ham and bacon, hash-browns, biscuits, gravy, honey, butter, oranges, grapes, roasted carrots and beets, and salads with oil and vinegar dressing.

Casting Create Food & Water twice.

violet42
2019-02-25, 02:35 PM
"We should be able to start traveling again in an hour." He's putting on a brave face, but his dreams of traveling more today might be a bit reckless.

Phelaia touches his shoulder gently and smiles. “I appreciate your bravery, Tomas, but with your companions in their current state, I don’t think it’s wise to push them. Let’s be safe and camp here, then get an early start tomorrow. Don’t worry, I am very good at turning away undead.”

Arzanyos
2019-02-25, 05:49 PM
Tomas nods, a little disappointed, a little grateful, and heads back to the villagers.

Although aspiring food critics might pick up an a hint of blandness due to being magically summoned, the villagers don't care, and are very pleased with their first decent meal in weeks. The idea of camping for the night is accepted with no trouble, and Rolant starts organizing it immediately. As your first night outside the walls(Not for you Arcavat, but nobody cares.:smalltongue:) draws to a close, you have a window of time alone to yourself to contemplate your situation, and/or get to know your newfound item buddies.

Also, you guys need to figure out your watch schedule. It's/it'll be about 7:30-8:00 when the meal and camping prep is done.

JNAProductions
2019-02-25, 09:37 PM
Do we have enough people to double-up on watches? Celina asks. Two sets of eyes are better than one, of course.

Parlortricks
2019-02-26, 01:39 AM
A voice that did not belong to the current conversation carefully tried to interject, causing Arcavat to give the man a sideways glance. He didn't believe they would be getting any further that day – and luckily at least someone else brought up that it didn't sound like the smartest idea. The drow's attention quickly turned towards Eline when it was her turn to show her magic. He stayed close, inspecting her every move, from the preparations to the act itself.

And his eyes certainly lit up as a rather delicious-looking banquet was summoned into the world, a meal better than he had enjoyed in a while. Unfortunately, this one could not be enjoyed by him, either. Perhaps there was some jealousy to be sensed as he watched the food be offered to their pitiful herd…

Arcavat dug his bag for his meager rations – good thing that he had been carrying those with him, or else he would have been stuck with nothing – and did his best to find a comfortable stone… Or stump, or log he could sit on and observe. Perhaps he could offer his help with getting a fire started, if it was looking too difficult for the others.

"Mh… I don't require as much time to be fully rested, myself. I'd wager a few of you have elven blood in your veins based on your features, but not enough to share that trait."

emduck
2019-02-26, 04:16 AM
"I'm afraid not," Arisanna agrees. "But I can take part of your watch with you, if we're doubling up. That is...if you don't mind."

After she and Arcavat speak, she'll take out her map in progress and pull the quill from behind her ear, finishing up their route and making sure to mark out the clearing with the boar.

That settled, she puts her map and cartography set away, and sits frowning absently at the quill.

"I'm sorry if this is a rude question," she thinks at it, "But...exactly how long have you been in there?"

Should I make a check to keep the map updated?

violet42
2019-02-26, 06:55 AM
“I will help keep watch too,” Phelaia declares. “If you two (Arisanna and Arcavat) take the first watch, I can take the second.”

I assume we need three watches?

Parlortricks
2019-02-26, 01:18 PM
Arcavat put down his trusty staff and peeled back the brownish cloth in his hands, revealing a… Well, some kind of gray-ish, thin slab of something, for sure. His lips mouthed something as his fingers circled around his mysterious food before he brought it closer to his mouth and sunk his teeth in. It was tough and certainly took some work to break off a piece to chew. The drow glanced at Arisanna as she offered to be his watch partner, raising an eyebrow as he grinned and swallowed.

"Hope you're not expecting me to be particularly skilled at it," Arcavat chuckled, teasing the girl as if the only reason someone would volunteer to do something with him was because they expected to get off easy that way. The people they had run into had guards who might actually be better at the job, but considering they had already had a shift… It was possible they couldn't stay up much longer. His gaze had wandered, looking over at the people who were setting up camp…

He looked back when the Tiefling spoke up, the drow's eyes settling on her.
"That's a tough one," he hummed – Phelaia had seemed like she might have been a bit tired, considering their last conversation. Having to wake up after just managing to sleep never was that much fun – and definitely made keeping watch difficult.
"I'll let you all decide what you want to do first. I figure it is easier for me to fill any spot that gets left over."

"Hm," a thoughtful sound echoed in Arisanna's mind,
"It must be ever since I… Perished. And yet," a moment of silence followed the sharp inhale. Clearly, something was a bit off. A jumbled mess of thoughts that weren't quite in the right order yet.
"It seems to me that I have not been aware between now and then. Yet there are moments I can recall when I should not – and others I should, but I cannot," there was another silent moment as Noctus kept pondering the predicament, trying to remember.

"…First thing first, I would like to figure out how long I have been out of commission."

JNAProductions
2019-02-26, 01:26 PM
Celina watches the people who are waking up, and decides to introduce herself. Hello, everyone, she calls out in a strong, clear alto. My name is Celina Sifou. It's a pleasure to meet you all. My friends and I are going to to help you get to safety, so enjoy your meal in peace.

violet42
2019-02-27, 02:24 PM
Phelaia looks over the unfamiliar faces, looking for any sign of mistrust or anger. She introduces herself to them too, although less confidently than Celina.

As the group begins to eat, Phelaia sits beside Arisanna. “Did you finish the map you were making last night?” she asks lightly, trying to make conversation.

emduck
2019-02-28, 09:33 PM
To Arcavat--

Arisanna eyes Arcavat for a moment, trying to figure out what he means by that. After a while, she shrugs.

"I'm not so sure anything about this is going to turn out to be easy," she says, absently looking back in the direction they came from--to the ridge, and the plaque. What on earth had the Librarian been thinking?

To Noctua--

"Hmm," Ari thinks, mulling that over. "Well, what is the last thing you do remember? Or at least that you can remember remembering?" She shakes her head at the absurdity of the statement. "Maybe we can figure it out."

To Phelaia--

Ari thinks about it, trying to push her face into something resembling a smile, to match Phelaia's tone.

"Well, it's as good as it's going to get, at least. To be honest I'm much more used to mapping old buildings and ruins than...well, all this." Thinking of her old projects made her think of the Librarian again--it seemed she was always thinking of him. "I suppose we all must know the Li--Maldiorn. Maldiorn. How did you know him?"

Is there are numbered year system, or some way of semi-objectively talking about time? And if so, what year is it?

Parlortricks
2019-03-01, 11:02 PM
"…The last thing," the voice inside Arisanna's head repeated, but in a more thinking manner rather than questioning – or answering, for that matter.
"I have a recollection of events that happened after I already was in this form, so that might not be of much help. Not that there isn't a much simpler way to find out. What year is it?"

violet42
2019-03-02, 06:50 PM
Phelaia looks up, startled. “Wha— Maldiorn? How do you know her?”

Arzanyos
2019-03-05, 02:52 AM
You guys can continue conversing, but lets see what happens during the night.
[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

During the second watch shift, a careful eye towards the dead boar from earlier will notice that it seems to have considerably less meat on it than earlier. In addition, there is smoke coming from it, but no fire.

JNAProductions
2019-03-05, 11:12 AM
Celina, spotting the smoking boar, murmurs a Hm... and, after a few moments of deliberation, asks her watch partner Should we investigate? Or leave well enough alone?

violet42
2019-03-07, 07:08 AM
Phelaia tries to rise to her feet as quietly as possible with her current armor situation. “We really ought to discover what’s been here,” she says. “It could threaten the rest of our party.”

She doesn’t draw a weapon, but loosens her longsword from its sheathe a little and begins to walk toward the disturbance.

Arzanyos
2019-03-08, 07:09 AM
As the Tiefling walks forward, two things enter her senses. Firstly, she can hear, although faintly, the sound of humming, and secondly, the smoke smells of brimstone from up close.

violet42
2019-03-08, 09:24 AM
Phelaia creeps up further towards the humming, trying to figure out where it’s coming from and who’s out there.

emduck
2019-03-08, 01:14 PM
Last night:

To Noctua--

"It's 4583," Ari thinks back. "Of the third epoch, if that matters." She certainly hoped they weren't dealing with such large time scales that it did. Or at least she thought she did at first--but then the thought of being able to know things, from so far back, seemed to whisper to her. What would it have been like? What would the City have been like? "What's the last time that you remember?"

To Phelaia--

"Well, I didn't know him as Maldiorn. He was--wait, her?" She frowns, and then shrugs. Well, the notes did say that they all knew him differently.. "I knew him as the--as a librarian. A very good one. How did you know Maldiorn?"

---

In the present:

Ari hangs back, but she watches intently as Phelaia creeps forward, hand on the basket hilt of her rapier.

violet42
2019-03-08, 02:16 PM
Last night:
To Ari—
“My Maldiorn— I guess my version of him or her, was a priestess at the temple I lived in. Though she went by the name of Shaile. I don’t know how you could know her as well though...”

Parlortricks
2019-03-08, 03:27 PM
"That is," the voice started, before growing silent once more. It sounded a bit more surprised now, though once it continued, the tone had returned to its normal matter-of-fact way of speaking.
"It has been a while. I cannot remember the year, but… It has been. Some time. That might explain a few things," Noctua continued, though the last few words almost seemed like they were meant for herself,
"Once we return to the city, we must look for my notes."

Arcavat's eyes followed the conversation as he munched on his mystery rations, the first real topic of interest being Maldiorn – no surprise there. The following confusion was rather amusing, forcing the drow's mouth into a grin. That Maldiorn had ended up being a much more colorful person than he first assumed.
"Sounds like he's pulled the wool over everyone's eyes," he laughed and licked his lips,
"Makes you wonder if we're the first ones."

violet42
2019-03-08, 11:00 PM
Last night:
To Ari and Arcavat—
“I don’t understand how she’s been living two, three lives at once. If it’s magic, I’ve never seen that kind before.” Phelaia sighs and eats another conjured bite. Then her eyes light up with an idea. “Mikaphet, Mikaphet. Have you heard of anything like this?”

Arzanyos
2019-03-09, 04:36 AM
During the Watch

As Phelaia creeps forward, she's able to ascertain the humming is coming from behind the dead boar. However,a low growling bark from the same area warns her that she's been spotted. The humming stops, and a second later is replaced by a carefree female voice. "So, you finally wised up, huh? Realized that magic fare is nothing compared to a good old roast." To complete the scene, a grey hand appears from behind the boar, waving more or less in Phelaia's direction.

Parlortricks
2019-03-09, 10:22 AM
yes hello wizard guy is doing a snooze during your boar adventures so only night chat timeline for me now

"Whether or not we understand, it sure seems like that happened. Doesn't mean it did happen; for all we know, they were separate people who claim to be just one," Arcavat offered with a shrug and a grin, though there was a sharper exhale through his nose as he looked up at the sky,
"But if it was magic, there are so many possibilities as to what exactly it was he did. If he's dead as he claims to be, we're not going to be getting the answers from his mouth. Pisses me off, I should have squeezed him harder for his secrets…"

The drow did claim to be pissed off, but he finished with a chuckle and a shake of his head, his gaze returning to look at the rest of the group.

violet42
2019-03-09, 12:06 PM
Phelaia is startled by the bark, but tries to maintain composure as she answers the mysterious voice. “I mean you no harm, I promise. I haven’t come to eat this creature either, I simply wanted to know what’s going on back there.” The tiefling stands on tiptoe and gives a wave back.

Arzanyos
2019-03-10, 06:39 AM
"You only think you haven't. Just a second." The voice answers back, before giving a command under her breath. It's faint but you're pretty sure you heard "down, boy" in Infernal. Then the hand reappears, waving you inward. "Come, come. I left this for the refugees, but it seems you folks already settled that. No point in letting all this meat go to waste then!" Whoever this is, she's unnervingly bubbly given the situation.

violet42
2019-03-10, 09:22 AM
Phelaia looks back to Ari and gestures her to follow, being nervous to go alone. She walks around the boar to the source of the voice but keeps a hand on her sword as well. Mikaphet, can you hear me? I have no idea what I’m coming up against, can you aid me?

Ramsus
2019-03-10, 12:41 PM
"Lass. It speaks infernal, is coming from the shadows, wants you eat a carcass that has been left sitting for hours, is talking to something else in the shadows, and just made an implication it doesn't care what you think your intentions are. For light's sake! Alert the others. If by some small chance this isn't a fiend, missing a few minutes of sleep won't kill them." Mikaphet replies telepathically.

violet42
2019-03-10, 02:20 PM
Phelaia stops at Mikaphet’s warning. “What if it’s just another tiefling? That wouldn’t be so bad— I assume.” Still, she turns back and begins to awaken Arcavat, Eline, and Celina. She tells Ari what she saw as well.

Parlortricks
2019-03-10, 07:55 PM
oh well I guess wizard guy is awake now during night fun too

After his uneventful shift, Arcavat had done his best to find a moderately nice, cozy spot that would protect him from the elements, his bedroll unfurled underneath him. Not needing sleep, the drow was sitting cross legged instead of lying down, his eyes closed and his cape wrapped around him. He was doing his best to get comfortable and calm down, but… Well, it was a slight challenge, considering the fact that we was surrounded by people he didn't know in the middle of who knows where.

He hadn't managed to get very deep before his surroundings started to hurt his concentration. An overall uneasiness of shifting cloth, clinking metal, movement… Arcavat opened an eye to assess the situation, noticing that the tiefling seemed quite busy.
"Issues?"

violet42
2019-03-10, 09:05 PM
“There is some... creature and her pet dog feasting on that giant boar. She speaks Infernal, so I’d really like to trust her, but my friend— I mean, I’d rather have the moral support. Come, she’s this way.”

Parlortricks
2019-03-10, 09:32 PM
"Oh?" Arcavat questioned with a raised eyebrow and a smile. A creature, huh. One that at least could speak. He couldn't see why the fact that it spoke Infernal made Phelaia want to trust it, but maybe that was some tiefling thing…

"Well, if it is only moral support – I cannot help you with Infernal," the wizard chuckled before getting up and giving his back a little stretch and his shoulders a few rolls before he picked up his staff and backpack.

Ramsus
2019-03-10, 09:43 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline rubs her eyes as she gets up. Hearing the conversation between Arcavat and Phelaia she walks over and whispers, "Isn't infernum the demon tongue or something like that?"

Parlortricks
2019-03-10, 10:27 PM
Arcavat's eyes looked in the direction of the approaching girl, a smile tugging up the corner of his mouth.
"Something like that indeed, in layman's terms. Devils, if you want to be more accurate. Not the only ones who can speak it, of course."

violet42
2019-03-11, 10:57 AM
“Tieflings also have the ability to speak it, even if they haven’t, well, been raised as such.” Phelaia quickly looks away from the questioning looks and clears her throat quietly. “Mikaphet, I know you don’t trust this creature, but I feel that we should try coming in peace first.”

Ramsus
2019-03-11, 04:41 PM
"Well then, go ahead and ask it to step into the light." Mikaphet with a bit of a scoff.

Parlortricks
2019-03-11, 07:10 PM
Arcavat gave the tiefling a sideways glance with a smirk. He wasn't going to say anything, but if she wanted to bring up that fact about her kin… Well, not like he could stop her anymore. Not that he had even intended to.
"Suppose you don't want to keep her waiting, then."

violet42
2019-03-12, 09:10 AM
Phelaia doesn’t catch Arcavat’s smirk. Instead, she walks resolutely to the boar. She speaks Infernal hesitantly, the words unfamiliar in her mouth but somehow springing to mind without concentrated effort. “Hello, madam. I hope you don’t mind that I brought friends.”

Arzanyos
2019-03-13, 12:49 AM
"No, not at all. Besides, I figured you were gonna bring them along sooner or later." The voice chuckles, moving forwards and to the left as it does. Soon, the speaker comes into view. She's short, although average height compared to the party, wearing simple clothes made of darkened leather, and carrying a quiver of arrows at her side. All in all, she would seem quite average looking, if not for her most unusual skin color, being entirely slate grey. She gives an exaggerated bow once she reaches the party, grey eyes twinkling. "Well met! I am Matrai Mateo, at your service. And this is my faithful companion, Brim." As if on cue, a huge black dog slinks into view behind Matrai. Fire licks at it's breath, and smoke billows from it's nostrils. "So, where are you guys from?" She says, laughing again at your reactions.

Arzanyos
2019-03-17, 02:38 PM
As the party mills about, reluctant to introduce themselves, Matrai sighs and ups the ante. "Come now, didn't Maldiorn teach you better manners?"

Parlortricks
2019-03-17, 07:38 PM
Arcavat let the tiefling to lead them to the boar, where she had seen this mysterious person. Indeed, a voice responded to Phelaia before stepping where he could see the source. A human… With ashen skin. Not a sight he had expected to see, not here on the surface. His eyes did flick to his sides for a moment, as if searching for an entrance that might have led them deep underground.

While Phelaia had been the one that led them into the situation, she no longer responded to the newly introduced Matrai – perhaps she had wished for another tiefling, considering how she had pointed out the language they shared and mentioned that as a reason to want to trust the stranger. The party had grown silent, silent enough for the underhuman to call them out on that… While making a mention of Maldiorn's name.

The drow let out a short chuckle.
"Cannot say I am familiar with such a saying," he smiled, his eyes settling on Matrai,
"It seems that my entourage is not very used to the creatures of the Underdark. Perhaps you should give them a moment."

Not that they had really been petrified when they saw him, but it wasn't like she had to know that.

violet42
2019-03-17, 08:57 PM
“Maldiorn? How do you know her name?” Phelaia bursts out. “Ari... that’s exactly what we were just talking about— or rather, who. Forgive me, ma’am,” she says, turning to Matrai. “but do you know Maldiorn?”

Arzanyos
2019-03-18, 02:41 AM
"You'll find there are many who know that name, outside the walls of your golden city. However, yes, I do know Maldiorn. Not well, mind you. We served similar, albeit not the same, goals, and crossed paths occasionally." Matrai Mateo motions to her pet to emphasize this difference in views. "Now then, how about we turn these tables? How do you all know Maldiorn?" Her smile is infuriating, as if it's just begging for you to call her out on her assumption.

Parlortricks
2019-03-18, 09:42 AM
The fact that Phelaia reacted to Maldiorn's name and all but confirmed that she knew of him made Arcavat give her a sideways glance, his smile faltering. He turned his gaze towards Matrai again, inspecting her with his eyes. That smile of his returned eventually. Well, he supposed he'd take the bait.
"Instead of discussing this Maldiorn," the drow started, stroking his chin,
"I must say I am more curious about you, my monochromatic friend. Surely it is not common to ask strangers if they know of this Maldiorn or assume that they come from a golden city? You are not afflicted with a condition of some sort?"

Arcavat gave the rest of his group a glance as well. Matrai clearly knew more about them than they knew about her. Was she really someone they wanted to talk to openly?

Ramsus
2019-03-18, 12:28 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline having no idea what to say here, noting that Arcavat doesn't seem to trust them and probably for good reason, just listens trying to judge Matrai's character.... while she goes over to play with the doggo. He's probably a good boy... right?

Insight on Matrai (good/bad intentions or if it seems like she's trying to get some specific information from them): [roll0]
Animal Handling to play with dog-thing: [roll1] + [roll2] = 18

Arzanyos
2019-03-19, 07:46 AM
Brim and good don't exactly go together, but nonetheless, he begrudgingly allows Eline to play with him. He's quite intelligent, she notices.

"Afflicted? Nah, I just trust my nose. Careful miss, his bites burn." Matrai notes as her gaze lights upon Eline's new course of action. "You smell like Maldiorn does. Like stone and cloth and timber, not cloaked in shadow like the rest of us"

As you hear Matrai's slightly implausible explanation, a lot of things click into place. You realize she's been watching you, possibly ever since you arrived. Her appearance was no whim or accident. Rather, it almost seems like a welcoming party. Notably, she is entirely zoned in on learning about the party's past. probably because she can't figure it out via observation.

Parlortricks
2019-03-19, 10:23 AM
Arcavat was keeping an eye on Matrai, but when Eline approached the fiery hound, he did tense up, expecting the thing to just outright attack her. Somehow the girl remained unbitten, however. Still made him uneasy, though.

The drow looked back at the underhuman, letting out a thoughtful hmh as his gaze inspected her.
"Ah, yes, of course. The superior sense of smell that humans and their relatives are well known for," he offered Matrai a wider smile than normal for a second,
"What is it that you want from us?"

Arzanyos
2019-03-19, 08:04 PM
Matrai's smile grew cold and humorless as she responded. "Only what I asked. It always pays to know your surroundings. Not all of us conjure food from the sky, and I would hate to set a rabbit's snare in the path of a boar hunt." With a fiendish whistle, she turns to leave, although she is turning rather slowly. You could try to continue the conversation, or just let her go.

Ramsus
2019-03-20, 01:10 AM
Human Geomancer

Eline raises an eyebrow on the comment about how she smells and then laughs at Arcavat's joke about it.

As Matrai moves to leave she asks, "So do you and your people serve the Light or the Shadow?"

Then to Brim, as if it's the part of the same conversation, "And who's a smart boy? You are. Yes you are! A good smart boy like you who protects his master deserves some belly rubs huh!?" and with this she actually tries to get Brim to roll over and let her give him belly rubs.

She's being deliberately blunt with Matrai to try and get a reaction that would tell them something concrete. But there might be more to it than that.

She's actually trying to delay Matrai for some reason.
Also despite appearance she does seem to be aware Brim is dangerous, but she's also very used to animals and knowing he's intelligent and assuming he's well trained that he won't do anything more than give her a nip to tell her to stop if she pushes things too far.

Yeah she's certainly delaying Matria. ...Entirely to play with and study this interesting new animal. Information gathering is an entirely secondary concern put on as a show to make her self-interested behavior come off as acceptable. Also it's not that this is deliberate cunning, just how she wound up answering the question of "How do I get the doggo to stick around longer?"

Arzanyos
2019-03-21, 05:33 AM
Let's see this insight roll. (Also, do the other party members get to roll this to figure out what Eline's up to?)

[roll0]

Arzanyos
2019-03-22, 03:29 AM
Whoops, forgot to edit in me post.

Matrai turns back at this blunt question, a wide grin crossing her face. "See, that's another way to tell you're from the city. You see things in terms of black and white, evil against good, Light against Shadow." She hops onto the carcass of the boar from earlier, settling down in a vulture-esque position. "I think of things more in... shades of grey. You could say that my people have stomachs, and we serve hunger. Does that answer your question?"

For his part, Brim does not roll over to recieve belly rubs. He doesn't bite Eline though, so it's still a bit of a win.

violet42
2019-03-22, 01:41 PM
Phelaia nods hesitantly. “I think I understand what you’re saying— wait, are there other people like you around here?”

Insight? to figure out what Eline’s doing: [1d20+5]

Arzanyos
2019-03-22, 09:07 PM
"What do you mean, like me?" Matrai answers, a little hesitantly. "Do you mean other hunters, or other grey-skinned humans with night vision? Because if it's the latter, there are of more, they just live mostly under the surface. Incidentally, that's the fifth question of answered, to your combined... one?"

Parlortricks
2019-03-22, 10:02 PM
Arcavat did not make a move to stop Matrai, preferring to say nothing and keep an eye on her – though it seemed like Eline did not quite agree with letting the woman leave. He raised an eyebrow at the girl's question, but somehow it was enough to stop the underhuman. Then again, she looked awfully ready to stick around.

"You certainly seem keen to stay," the drow hummed, though now he was looking at the rest of his party with a more critical eye. They looked awfully ready to keep asking questions in turn, while revealing so much about themselves to this… Stranger.

He needed a drink by this point…

Arcavat put some distance between himself and the conversation – mentally – and instead focused on staying on his toes, keeping an eye on their surroundings and any strange actions Matrai might have committed.

[roll0]

violet42
2019-03-23, 09:54 AM
Phelaia bows her head respectfully to Matrai. “I’m sorry that I’ve offended you, ma’am— I have so little experience with anyone outside the temple. If you want to leave, I understand.” She glances at Eline, understanding the true nature of her antics with Brim. “Unless you want to delay her so that you can play with the dog longer?” (There is no malice in the question, Phelaia genuinely doesn’t see the problem saying this aloud.)

Ramsus
2019-03-23, 12:46 PM
Human Geomancer

"Somehow that was exactly the answer I thought you'd give." Eline replies to Matrai with a bit of grin.

She gives a sheepish smile to Phelaia and says, "I could play with him all day."

At no point during this does she in fact stop rubbing and patting Brim.

Arzanyos
2019-03-28, 07:53 AM
Well, seems like this particular scene is ready to be wrapped up. Movin' right along.

"I'm sure you could. However, I travel best by night, and so will take my leave now. Until we meet again, beware your ears." This time, Matrai and Brim leave for real, vanishing into the shadows with startling quickness. It'd be very difficult to track their path.

The rest of the night passes without incident.

Parlortricks
2019-03-28, 11:03 AM
After Matrai has left, Arcavat turns his attention back to the group. There's a moment where he says nothing before opening his mouth.
"None of us know Maldiorn. We do not know what enemies he might have here. I suggest being more careful with your words," the drow's tone was serious and hushed, as if he expected to still be listened to by an outsider. With that said and done, that familiar smile of his returned to his lip and he started heading back for some well-deserved rest.

Arzanyos
2019-04-01, 04:41 AM
Morning comes, and the rest of the group starts to wake up. As they prepare to start moving again, Tomas finds you, curious. "So, did you ever figure out who killed that boar?" He asks.

Parlortricks
2019-04-01, 09:45 AM
The nightly encounter didn't really affect Arcavat's sleep – he didn't sleep, after all, and even if it took him a while to calm down again, he did not need many hours to feel refreshed again. He grabbed a bite to eat while packing up his belongings the coming morning, ready to continue their journey who-knows-where.

One of the humans in lead came up to them, seeming to still be quite curious about the boar. Understandable, who hadn't been curious when they saw it? Of course, by now, it probably didn't exist anymore – he hadn't checked.
"I have my suspicions," the drow hummed with a smile, but didn't really reveal more than that,
"Say. You know this area better than I do. Are underhumans common around here?"

Arzanyos
2019-04-04, 05:49 PM
It is morning now, and everybody wakes up.

"Underhumans? Possibly, I don't keep tabs on what goes on down there. There shouldn't be any on the surface, though. At least, not..." Tomas trails off, trying to recollect something.

Parlortricks
2019-04-04, 07:54 PM
"Alive?" Arcavat suggested with a grin. Either it was a legit suggestion or just something completely crazy enough so it might have jogged the man's memory.

Arzanyos
2019-04-09, 05:31 AM
"Well, yes, but... no." Tomas shakes his head, then turns back to Arcavat. "The walking dead are always a possibility, but one of the scouts said they saw an underhuman skulking around a while back. I'm afraid he's probably in no shape to elaborate now, though."

Ramsus
2019-04-09, 12:59 PM
Human Geomancer

While Arcavat and Tomas talk, Eline stretches and yawns and begins packing up her things. When it seems their conversation has finishes she says fairly loudly to everyone around, "Good morning y'all. Let's get ready to move out. We're wasting daylight." and gives a chuckle to herself.

Parlortricks
2019-04-09, 03:33 PM
Arcavat tilted his head slightly with raised eyebrows as if to ask for further details about the scout's condition. The drugged ones clearly were in no shape to do or think much, but surely the scouts weren't also taking the stuff…?

The wizard glanced over his shoulder as the young human girl came to remind them of their time constraints. With a chuckle, he nodded and turned to look at Tomas.
"Right. Perhaps not the time to be pondering about mysteries. Once you get the lot moving, we should be off. Ready when you are."

emduck
2019-04-11, 09:54 PM
Ari pulls the straps of her backpack tighter, straightening up and trying to look more ready than she feels.

"I'm all set," she agrees, looking around at the rest of the group. Then she drifts over to Arcavat, still mulling over the encounter from the night before. He seemed to know something about the strange woman, which was more than she could say for herself. "Underhumans?" she asks quietly. Back in the city, at least, there had been nothing underground but ruins.

Parlortricks
2019-04-12, 07:14 AM
"Hm? Ah," Arcavat turned to Arisanna when the woman spoke up, asking about the underhumans when she had heard him use such a term. Seemed that they weren't as well-known on the surface – though perhaps that was understandable…
"You could think of them as being to you what the drow are to elves. A race that has lived in the Underdark long enough to grow adapted to it."

Arzanyos
2019-05-02, 08:02 AM
After what seems like weeks, the refugees finally start to move out. Their pace is slow and plodding, as the trees start to twist together, forcing the group through something akin to a dark maze. Oddly, every sound you hear seems to echo around the treetops, in a way that hardly seems natural.

Ramsus
2019-05-03, 12:04 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline scouts out ahead a bit, but still in sight of the front of the rest of the group. While doing this she also looks around for any interest plants she might want to take back home with her and even says to Scout, "Let me know if you see anything. Dangerous stuff or maybe interesting plants."

In case rolls are needed...
Stealth: [roll0]
Perception: [roll1]
Survival: [roll2]
Nature: [roll3]

Arzanyos
2019-05-07, 05:18 AM
Eline's scouting proves fruitful, at least personally. As they travel, she discovers a small cluster of plants bearing shimmering black pods. A few are broken open, revealing an odd sort of dust or powder that seems stick out against the landscape. Surely they must have some use.
No danger seems apparent in the area, although some of the further-off ambient noises seem... bearlike.

Parlortricks
2019-05-07, 11:32 AM
Arcavat, as usual, sticks to the middle of the group, pretty much only able to see what is on the trail underneath him and the people around him.

Arzanyos
2019-05-13, 06:00 AM
Arcavat's vantage point may not be ideal, but he does notice one of the Summerdream addicts start to drift away from the group, heading back into the trees.

Parlortricks
2019-05-13, 08:49 AM
The different movement from one of their group wasn't too difficult to notice, the drow lifting his head and turning it towards the source, seeing how one of them was starting to stray off their path. Of course, he waited a moment, looking around to see if someone else caught it and was going to stop their stray… But no such luck. There was a defeated exhale that escaped his lips. He supposed he was now on babysitting duty.

"Stick to the flock, young one," Arcavat spoke in his deep voice as he stepped after the addict, his staff stretched to the side in an attempt to steer them in a different direction. Maybe he should get one of those hooks the shepherds used, if this was going to be a theme.

Arzanyos
2019-05-17, 04:33 AM
The addict nods blearily in acknowledgement, but then goes right back to drifting away. He mumbles, half to Arcavat and half to himself. "Can't you hear it? It's... calling" Probably just deranged ramblings, but you never know.

On the other side of the caravan, the faint bearlike noises Eline heard are starting to grow louder. In particular, there is the distinct sound of a tree falling down. Something big is headed your way.

Ramsus
2019-05-17, 12:22 PM
Human Geomancer

Eline heads back to the others and says, "Seems to be some kind of big bear headin' our way. I think it knocked down a tree, so probably not a normal bear."

Parlortricks
2019-05-18, 04:38 AM
Arcavat exhaled through his nose as his attempts to easily corral the man back were brushed off. His staff was brought directly in front of the addict's path in an attempt to completely stop him in his track and veer him back in the right direction.
"Anything calling you won't be worth it. Go along, now," the wizard still tried, giving a look around him as if hoping that someone else would take the problem out of his hands. Maybe they should start to tie them all together…

There were even more bad news as Eline approached, mentioning a big bear – or something –heading their way. The drow frowned. He already saw a giant boar, so he wasn't too keen on meeting any other large animals that might want to have him for dinner.
"This many of us won't be able to hide and the majority of us will be unable to run. Either we hope our paths won't cross, do something to make sure that doesn't happen or prepare to fight."

Arzanyos
2019-05-25, 10:53 PM
Arcavat's more physical gesture seems to do the trick, and the refugee gives up, sinking back into the general masses. Hopefully the urge to explore won't strike up again soon, what with giant bearlike monsters roaming around.

Nearer to the front, Arden takes an interest in Eline's warning. "Hmm. Could be a Nightshade, but I'm not sure why one would try to attack so many of us. If it is one, do you think you could drive it away?"

Ramsus
2019-05-26, 12:15 PM
Human Geomancer

"Well none of us here have fought one before, so ah can't say for sure. But ah can't imagine one or two would be much problem for us." Eline replies.

Parlortricks
2019-05-27, 02:36 PM
Arcavat eyed the rest of the group as the gnome made a request. The young girl, Eline, certainly didn't object to driving away a monstrous beast, something that made the drow's lips curl into a short-lived, amused smile.
I suppose it would be better to get rid of it before it reaches your wandering flock. But my flesh is not built for withstanding vicious claws, I am afraid."