PDA

View Full Version : Any advantage to having two Ritual Caster: Wizards?

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-02-05, 02:56 PM
What the title says. I took Ritual Caster: Wizard as a Variant Human feat on my Moon Druid due to us not having a wizard in the party. We've played one session and our DM just added a player to the party who, of course, is a wizard.

Is there any real benefit to me having this feat now, or should I ask if I could swap it out for something more useful for druids?

Provo
2019-02-05, 03:09 PM
What the title says. I took Ritual Caster: Wizard as a Variant Human feat on my Moon Druid due to us not having a wizard in the party. We've played one session and our DM just added a player to the party who, of course, is a wizard.

Is there any real benefit to me having this feat now, or should I ask if I could swap it out for something more useful for druids?

It is probably a good time to switch. However, if you like the flavor of the feat, it isn’t worthless. You can share your spells with the wizard so he starts with two additional first level spells. You likewise will have easier access to rituals by taking any that he learns.

As for how to use them, often a DM will only give a party enough time for one ritual. If two wizard rituals look appealing, you won’t have to choose which is better (detect magic, and tongues for instance). Likewise, you may want to double up on a spell like alarm to quickly ward two seperate hallways...

But yeah, it is of limited utility. Especially since you already have Druid rituals to work with.

solidork
2019-02-05, 03:10 PM
I'm playing a Tomelock with Book of Ancient Secrets in a party with a Wizard and it's still quite useful despite there being some overlap. At the absolute least, you get a familiar out of it which is always very useful. Casting Comprehend Lanugages and then scouting as an insect would be exceptionally useful.

Willie the Duck
2019-02-05, 03:15 PM

Find out about this wizard/ the player. Is it a newer gamer or an experienced player? I have met more than a few players who want to play wizards for the Fireballs, not Comprehend Languages. If this guy isn't interested in collecting those spells, it's going to stay your responsibility.

Otherwise, it's only useful for those vital ritual spells you need to use while the wizard is unconscious (or dead), and you not having the backup could mean the rest of the party could also end up unconscious/dead.

All-in-all, with a wizard in the party, grabbing healer would be a better support feat.

Chronos
2019-02-05, 04:42 PM
My first 5E character had Ritual Caster, in a party with a wizard. It was less useful than it could have been, but it was still useful. If nothing else, we both had familiars, and could Identify piles of treasure twice as quickly.

And it really fit the personality of my character, too, which is not to be neglected.

sophontteks
2019-02-05, 04:54 PM
The main perk is that both of you can use the same ritual at the same time and everyone else can bet on who finishes the ritual first. It turns a mundane ritual into a heated race, but be careful. It can get out of hand really quick.

You'll know you've taken it too far when the party leads you to an underground ritual pit battle.

Jokes aside, the value of ritual caster has dropped dramatically because a wizard joined. It's definately not useless, but its certainly of far less worth then it once was. Its up to you if that loss is enough to ask the DM. And the DM in turn will probably want a good reason.

Keravath
2019-02-05, 05:05 PM
I'd say ask the DM.

It sounds like you picked the feat for meta game reasons rather than character reasons so it could be it didn't really make sense for your character in the first place. If that is the case maybe change it. On the other hand, if it makes sense for your character from a role play perspective then keeping it might still be useful particularly if the wizard isn't available at some point in the future. From an in game perspective, your character at the beginning may not know the folks they will be traveling with so planning important aspects of your character around what may or may not be in the party may not make a lot of sense from a character perspective.

Shuruke
2019-02-05, 06:29 PM
I'd say ask the DM.

It sounds like you picked the feat for meta game reasons rather than character reasons so it could be it didn't really make sense for your character in the first place. If that is the case maybe change it. On the other hand, if it makes sense for your character from a role play perspective then keeping it might still be useful particularly if the wizard isn't available at some point in the future. From an in game perspective, your character at the beginning may not know the folks they will be traveling with so planning important aspects of your character around what may or may not be in the party may not make a lot of sense from a character perspective.

I agree with this

And if your worried that wizard rituals just feel like a waste pick cleric rituals which will save your cleric from needing to keep them prepared if push comes to shove

djreynolds
2019-02-05, 06:37 PM
Right, it's like complaining you have 2 barbarian tanks instead of 1.

Ask the DM if he would allow you switch out the feat, it's not unreasonable.

It is tough when new players are added.

What level are You?
AL rules allow a change around 5th level

MikeRoxTheBoat
2019-02-05, 07:00 PM
I'd say ask the DM.

I actually picked it for both meta and story reasons. My character is someone that approached druid magic the same way that wizards approach arcane magic, so he uses things like a spellbook and material components for wildshape, despite neither of those being necessary for a druid. To be fair, though, I would've used a completely different character if I knew there would be a wizard, 'cause everything about myself and the wizard is essentially the same, even down to the stat spreads and our choice of Raven familiars.

I could still keep my story in tact without ritual caster, though.

And if your worried that wizard rituals just feel like a waste pick cleric rituals which will save your cleric from needing to keep them prepared if push comes to shove

Feels a little like overkill, since we have so much ritual overlap between myself, the wizard, and the Cleric. The DM gave me the go ahead awhile back to copy spells I have prepared as rituals into my ritual book to free up my prepared slots, so switching to Ritual Caster: Druid might be my option if I'm stuck keeping it.

Find out about this wizard/ the player. Is it a newer gamer or an experienced player? I have met more than a few players who want to play wizards for the Fireballs, not Comprehend Languages. If this guy isn't interested in collecting those spells, it's going to stay your responsibility.

He's a more experienced player (and had DMd on occasion as well). He's playing a Necromancer with Int, Wis, and Con maxed and everything else dumped. His spell selection was mostly cold and necrotic, but he also picked up Detect Magic and Alarm, so he seems willing enough to get support magic.

I think I'm mostly suffering a minor identity crisis, since his backstory, background, and stats are identical to me, the difference being that he's an actual wizard while I'm a pretend "nature" wizard. Our motivations are similar as well. I feel like doubling up with rituals exacerbates that, so was considering going a route to differentiate a little.

My first 5E character had Ritual Caster, in a party with a wizard. It was less useful than it could have been, but it was still useful. If nothing else, we both had familiars, and could Identify piles of treasure twice as quickly.

And it really fit the personality of my character, too, which is not to be neglected.

I picked up a familiar, but we have a ranger who also has a familiar, so with the inclusion of the wizard (who's also going to have undead floating around) that many familiars feels a bit like clutter. Not to mention the wizards familiar is a Raven like my own.

Right, it's like complaining you have 2 barbarian tanks instead of 1.

Ask the DM if he would allow you switch out the feat, it's not unreasonable.

It is tough when new players are added.

What level are You?
AL rules allow a change around 5th level

We're only level 2 at the moment, so things might change. I just don't want to feel like my feat pick is wasted when I could grab something universally useful like Res: Con or Warcaster.