PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Best use of 21,000 Gold for a level 6 Duskblade

Dunsparce
2019-02-05, 03:01 PM
Due to a party of level 4 characters destroying an army with some level 7 trolls(with levels in Warhulk) by sheer luck, we jumped up to 14,999 EXP(1 away from level 6), and gained a very large amount of gold due to ending a war years before it was supposed to and derailing the entirety of the current subplot.

I have 21,558 Gold, My character is a Duskblade with 18/14/16/18/14/6 stats and my only magical items are a +1 greatsword and a +1 Mithril Chainshirt.

All 3.0 and 3.5 1st party content is allowed, and all issues of Dragon Magazine and Dungeon Magazine. I want to make the most of what I currently have. It would be hard to get custom-made items, so ones that are actually published are preferable.

If any more info on my character is needed, I will give it if asked.

Troacctid
2019-02-05, 03:33 PM
I have an itemization guide (https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NruaQwYpoklD0b6XtylZQxwXLbZU5PWJVwIFLI8xmfw/edit#gid=0) in my warlock handbook that's aimed at warlocks (of course) but should be relevant to any character too. Off the top of my head, I would recommend starting by upgrading your weapon to Spell-Storing, which works great with what duskblades are doing.

Red Fel
2019-02-05, 04:04 PM
Dictum Mortuum's Duskblade Handbook (http://dictummortuum.blogspot.com/2011/08/duskblade-handbook.html) includes a section on equipment. As Troacctid points out, Spell Storing should definitely be your top choice for a weapon ability. If you're willing to sacrifice versatility for power, however, consider Bloodstone instead - it acts as Spell Storing, but only for Vampiric Touch. On the other hand, it also Empowers the spell (as the metamagic feat) for free.

But yeah. Read over the suggestions in the link. Lot of options you can go with.

Eldariel
2019-02-05, 04:12 PM
Spell-storing is nice, Int-boosters are nice, Belt of Battle would be a massive but awesome investment and there's also Circlet of Rapid Casting. Actually, I'd go with the Circlet on this level. You just got 2nd level spells and the Circlet allows quickening 3 of them a day. In addition to your Quick Cast you can Quicken a spell a turn every time you're casting; in other words, cast and full attack and channel continuously. Given the amount of sheer spell levels a Duskblade is packing, that seems like a guaranteed nice thing. And yeah, Spell-storing is also good and Handy Haversack is never a bad investment. And a ton of Scrolls and consumables of all the spammable spells you want to keep around, particularly of utility spells of levels you can't yet cast. Early access is nice. Lesser Rod of Extend Spell is also a nice option, since you can Extend your swift buffs to get 2 rounds out of them. As long as you're two-handing, you can let go of the weapon with one hand as a free action, draw+cast as a free + swift action, drop the Rod as a free action, grab the weapon as a free action (just don't forget to pick the Rod back up after you're done). It's very cheap and quite strong so definitely something to consider. In general, metamagic rods are a good idea since your low spell levels make the appropriate Rods cheap.

Vizzerdrix
2019-02-05, 04:40 PM
Shapesand, and as many wis boosts as you can get to stack.

liquidformat
2019-02-05, 04:50 PM
I always try and pickup BRACERS OF THE ENTANGLING BLAST when I can. Healing Belt and cloak of resistance are always nice choices too.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-02-05, 06:53 PM
I like the healing belt and travelling cloak. Makes survival that much easier.
Weapon crystals (lesser truedeath crystal, for example) are always useful.
Maneuver-granting items from Tome of Battle are very good, too. You could get a crown of white raven tactics for only 3000 gp.

Troacctid
2019-02-05, 07:21 PM
Maneuver-granting items from Tome of Battle are very good, too. You could get a crown of white raven tactics for only 3000 gp.
Only if you're level 10+ and already know at least one White Raven maneuver. You still need to meet all the prerequisites in order to get a maneuver from the item.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-02-05, 11:10 PM
Only if you're level 10+ and already know at least one White Raven maneuver. You still need to meet all the prerequisites in order to get a maneuver from the item.
Good point, yeah. There are still nice tricks to pick up at level 6, but WRT is not one of them.

MaxiDuRaritry
2019-02-05, 11:43 PM
Phylactery of change (A&EG, all-day polymorph 1/day) for 11,200 gp.

Necklace of adaptation (can always breathe, immune to lots of gas-based effects) for 9,000 gp.

Those are some very nice items for almost any character.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-02-06, 05:28 AM
IMO the basics are defensive and mobility items. You're a martial PC with good damage - all you need is to avoid being made irrelevant by a flying enemy or something.

Dragonscale Cloak (5 000 gp, MIC page 95). 2 hours per day of flight, divided as you wish. Also is really cool. It's a relic though, but ask your GM if you could get is as a reward for ending that war in exchange for a donation to the Church or something !
An Anklet of Translocation (1 400gp, MIC) allows for short-range teleportation as a swift action. Useful for getting into flanking or full attack positions or even escaping grapples!
An item that boosts your saves (typically a Cloak of Resistance or Vest of Resistance). Very useful, especially as more and more monsters get things like poison or spellcasting. Basic ones cost 1 000 gp (for +1) or 4 000 gp (for +2)
Heward's Handy Haversack (2 000 gp, DMG). The most convenient extradimensional storage item. Allows you to get at any equipment (potions, scrolls, alchemical items) as a move action, and helps carrying loot around.
The Bloodstone weapon enhancement (for Vampiric Touch, which is great on a Duskblade). The Smoking (LoD page 180) weapon enhancement provides a continuous miss chance, which is useful defensively.
Healing Belt (750 gp, heals you)
Scout's Headband (3 400gp, MIC). Small number of charges renewed each day. Spend them to get See Invisibility or True Seeing. Head slot.
Third Eye Clarity (3 000gp, MIC). Once per day negates a bunch of nasty conditions as an immediate action. Face Slot.
Ring of the Diamond Mind (3 000gp, ToB). Once per encounter, roll a Concentration check instead of a saving throw. As Concentration bonuses tend to be higher than saves, this is great!
Third Eye Freedom (2 600gp, MIC). Once per day, Freedom of Movement as an immediate action. Very useful against spellcasters! Face slot.
Amulet of Tears (2 300gp, MIC page 70). Provides 36 temporary hit points per day. Very valuable, and helps to keep you alive!

I'd pick a few things from this list and call it a day! A set of cheaper items tend to be better than one Über-greatsword, IMO. Keep yourself alive while you kill things with magically enhanced swords.

Kurald Galain
2019-02-06, 06:03 AM
IMO the basics are defensive and mobility items. You're a martial PC with good damage - all you need is to avoid being made irrelevant by a flying enemy or something.
Definitely this. Duskblade has a notorious lack of defensive spells on his list, so it's a good idea to use items to cover for that. I especially second the Third Eye Freedom or Clarity. Shadowy Diadem is also nice, as is Blurring armor or Displacement armor. Don't forget to carry a bunch of utility scrolls or potions, and mind that you can use Knowstones to get more spells known (although you probably don't need that unless you can expand your spell list somehow). HTH!