PDA

View Full Version : GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne group

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Istari
2007-09-25, 07:01 PM
I was wondering if anyone was interested in making a Gitp Warcraft 3 battlenet group?

Edit:Sorry I'm having trouble inserting a picture to my sig now.

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 07:06 PM
EDIT: (original post replaced with organisational stuff)

So, in order to get this organised, I will edit every relevant information into this post here.

There are two GitP WarCraft 3: The Frozen Throne groups now - one focussing on custom maps, and meeting on Fridays, and one focussing on melee (i.e., normal WarCraft), meeting on Sundays. There is a also a third GitP group focussing on DotA, but it is independant of the group organised within this thread; the associanted thread can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88989) (warning, no guarantee of this link being updated, can be outdated). There is a fair chance of meeting some of us in the BattleNet on other days, too, so if you want to play, just come and see whether some of us are online.

The people who expressed interest in the custom map group are, so far (BattleNet names in brackets):
Istari (Istari.)
The Orange Zergling (Baneling_Aspect)
tannish2 (tannish2)
starwoof
Artemician
Crispy Dave (Crispydave)
LiteYear (own1-LiteYear)
WhatIsGravity (WhatIsGravity)
RationalGoblin (SplendidTuesday)
The Randomizer (Sirendeous)
DarkLightDragon (DarkLightDragon)
Setra (BDSetra)
PePe_QuiCoSE (Yakkul)
Maged
Winterwind (Winterwind_GitP)
Poison_Fish (flibs)
Slaanesh (Slaanash)
SirSigfried (libertarian_sdr)
Penthar (Penthar)
Drago (Drago_the_Lord)
Battlefield (Ianley)
Swok (SomewhatOkay)
Blood (Moozy)
Mrmud (Blargade)
Greenpepa (Aeroth99)
Lord_Asmodeus (Lord_Asmodeus)
Leper_Kahn (LeperKahn)
Silfir (Silfir)
Marek (Vinnam)
Cynan Machae (CynanMachae)
Albub
Bitzeralisis (Bitzeralisis)
theterran (TerraFormer)
legoshrimp (legoshrimp)
LahmiaVampire
easyname (easyname)
Darth Mario (darth-mario)
Point Blank (P0int Blank)
Goldstein (gold.stein)
Myone (Admiral_Konaa)
Lykos (Lykos)
Zakama (Zakama)
Slash_712 (Slasher_712)
Siosilvar (Siosilvar)
atomsized (atomsized)
detrevnisisiht (detrevnisisiht)
u-gotNOgame (u-gotNOgame)
Kizara (Star_Moon)
Catseye2121 (TheFieryTower)
Glyphic (Ironlock, Glyphic_GitP)
Hyunkel (Hyunkel)
nooblade (nooblade)
Nohwl (Nohwl)
TheStagesmith (TheStagesmith)
Forderz (Forderz)
Raroy (Ralvious)
Kayes (Kayes)
AgentPaper (ThePaper)
Duos
Killersquid
Bergett (Bergett)
Battleship789 (Battleship789)
Rigel Cyrosea (Rigel_Cyrosea)
LordShotGun
shadow_archmagi (shadow_archmagi)
Demons_eye (GitP_Demons_Eye)
The Linker (Lilplinka)
toddex
742 (742)
The people who expressed interest in the melee group are, so far (BattleNet names in brackets):
SirSigfried (Libertarian_SDR)
Raroy (Ralvious)
atomsized (atomsized)
Forderz (Forderz)
Cynan Machae (CynanMachae)
Slaanesh (Slaanash)
legoshrimp (legoshrimp)
Mrmud (Blargade)
theterran (TerraFormer)
PrincessAlicia (PrincessAlicia)
Winterwind (Winterwind_GitP)
Darth Mario (darth-mario)
Glenstorm (Glenstorm)
u-gotNOgame (u-gotNOgame)
Catseye2121 (TheFieryTower)
The Orange Zergling (Baneling_Aspect)
Rigel Cyrosea (Rigel_Cyrosea)
742 (742)
Anyone else who wants to join in, feel free to do so. The more the merrier. :smallsmile:

Meeting place is the Azeroth server (USEast), channel op GitP.

The official meeting time is for the custom map group is every Friday, 4 PM EST(=GMT-5). For the melee group it is every Sunday, around the same hour. However, the hours are just a guideline; typically, people can be found online long, long before that. Of course, these meeting times are always open to discussion, if people should prefer a different time.
Also feel free to use this thread to arrange spontaneous games.

I suggest putting each other on our friend lists to make seeing who is online easier.

4 PM EST corresponds to the following times in various time zones:
1 PM Pacific = 2 PM Mountain = 3 PM Central = 4 PM Eastern = 5 PM Atlantic = 10 PM Central European

We have our own channel bot, GitP@USEast, by courtesy of Leper_Kahn and Cynan Machae. Its capabilities and functions are described here (http://qc-net.com/david/gitp/bot.htm). For optimum functionality, it would be helpful if everyone added the bot to their friend-lists.

A few guides for some of the custom maps we play in the group, written by our members:

A guide to SWAT, courtesy of nooblade: (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5129853&postcount=869)
Useful links:
Official Website (http://http://redscull.com/swat/readmeafter.html)
SWAT Wiki (http://http://swatam.wikispaces.com/)
WGW forums (with further guides (http://s1.zetaboards.com/Westies_Gone_Wild/)
Redscull's forums (http://redscull.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=1)

A guide for Parasite 2 courtesy of Slaanash and Darth Mario. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5654578&postcount=1222)

A guide to Castle Fight, courtesy of Darth Mario:

Castle Fight

The basics of gameplay are simple. You control a single worker, who constructs three kinds of buildings and can purchase items. The three types are: Unit Spawn, which create units that run at the opponents base and attack; Towers; which fire at attacking units; and Special Buildings, which have various effects to buff your units and hurt/debuff your enemy's. Castle Fight is played with two teams of workers facing off against one another. You win when you destroy your opponent's castle, although usually this is just a formality: a win is obvious before the castle comes under fire.

General unit information:

Units come in three types: Melee, Ranged and Air. In most cases, melee units can only attack other melee or ranged units, and ranged and air units can attack anyone. There are three major weapon types and three major armor types. These work somewhat like a game of rock-paper-scissors:

Normal damage is great against Medium armor, decent against Heavy, and poor against Light.
Magic damage is great against Heavy armor, decent against Light, and poor against Medium.
Piercing damage is great against Light armor, decent against Medium, and poor against Heavy.

This dynamic is probably the most crucial one to the game. Memorizing and following this chart is essential.

There are a few other types of damage and armor.

Chaos damage does it's full, normal damage against armor types. It is best used against Divine armor or as a poor man's siege unit, though is a good choice against anything.
Hero damage deals slightly increased damage to all three major armor types and Unarmored armor, and slightly higher than normal against Divine, but is poor against buildings. This is the best damage type in the game, only three units possess it (the Human Paladin, the Undead Skeleton General, and the Mechanical Adamantine Golem).
Siege damage is most often used against buildings. It deals reduced damage to all armor types except for Fortified and Unarmored. It should be used once your army is about to break into your opponent's base, since it is offensive in nature. It can also be used effectively against Unarmored enemies.

Unarmored armor takes slightly increased damage from all attack types except for Chaos. This is the usual armor type for casters, though a few other units possess this type. These units are weak, and should be protected, since any unit can kill them with relative ease.
Divine armor is the best in the game. It takes dramatically reduced damage from all damage types except for chaos (though it is slightly vulnerable to Hero damage). It can be used against almost any unit, especially units from the Orc, Human, High Elf and Corrupted races (these races either lack affordable Chaos damage or have none at all). Only three units have this armor type: the Undead Banshee, occasionally the Chaos Blood Fiend, and the Mechanical Adamantine Golem.
Fortified armor is the armor type of all buildings. It takes reduced damage from all damage types except from Chaos and Siege.

Races:

Humans are a good all-around race with cheap units.
Strengths: The Paladin is alternately known as the Imbadin. There is a good reason for this. Warlocks are excellent against swarms of enemy units. Defenders will essentially shut down ranged attackers.
Weaknesses: Despite what it says on the label, Warlocks deal spell damage, not chaos damage. This means that Divine armor units cannot be countered by humans. The human tower is poor.

Orcs, like humans, possess relatively cheap units. Their buffs are considered the best in the game. Orcs are a primarily ranged race.
Strengths: Buffs, buffs and more buffs. With Shamen, three different kinds of Kodo Riders, and Ceremonial Altars (name? I'm writing this without the game in front of me), Orcs make their teammates flat out better. They also have great debuffs, with the Wyvern's Slow Poison, the Serpent Rock, and the Troll Trapper's net.
Weaknesses: A lack of melee options. Orcs, like humans, completely lack chaos damage. Their tower is vulnerable to ground units.

High Elves, have the most expensive units in the game, but also have some of the strongest units.
Strengths: Power. The High Elves do everything well, from the Blademaster, a fast-attacking high damage melee unit, to the Master Archer, a ranged unit that does high damage and occasionally stuns an opponent, to the Sorceress/Wizard, which casts chain heal and chain lightning. Also, the City of Magic will disable 2-3 of your enemy's units at any time, and is extremely cost effective. Don't leave base without one. Or five.
Weaknesses: If you mess up, it's hard to recover. Since their units are so expensive, your enemy will outnumber you and will be able to respond to your builds faster than you can to theirs.

The other 6 races to come.

Building placement
The layout of each castle is as follows: From the castle go two lanes, one on the top, the other on the bottom. Between them and on their sides is area where buildings can be built. On their way to the enemy castle, the lanes pass through two walls; at each of these gates, the terrain subsides, so that ranged units that attack along the lane have to shoot up (and hence, tend to miss) when attacking targets more inside the castle.

So where is the right position to place what types of buildings?
Obviously, due to elevated terrain and the protection from melee units granted by the walls, the only two positions eligible for setting up the defense are the inner sides of the two walls. Since there are several reasons speaking in favour of setting up the defense as far back as possible (including: better protection for the castle itself, a more central position within the castle making it easier to reach coins (if any are in play), and more time for the troops to turn the battle on their own without endangering the fragile towers), the position to defend should be the inner wall.

Hence, towers should be built along the inner side of the inner wall. Always start building the towers at the middle of the wall, and go outwards from there - towers have enough range to protect both lanes easily even from the middle, and this way the big investment of a tower will be helpful no matter along which lane the danger approaches.
One very important thing to note about towers: They always draw the attention of all enemy units within their range upon themselves. If your team has a tower, other buildings will be attacked only if they can be attacked from out of the tower's range (or if the enemy has splash damage and targets normal units). Usually this also means that the tower gets absolute priority for repairing, as it will be the only thing attacked.

This also means that nothing must ever be built in the area between the inner and the outer wall - it won't be protected be the towers. There are no exceptions to this - building something outside the inner wall is practically suiciding it.

Creep spawning buildings can basically be placed whereever, there are a few things to note about them though:

Firstly, they obviously shouldn't be built along the inner wall - that place is reserved for towers.
Secondly, it is usually a good move to build some buildings along the inner sides of both lanes, starting right at the inner wall, so that these buildings make the way to the towers longer for melee units. The units need to be able to get out though, and since units appear below the building that spawns them, if the bottom line of buildings happens to be much shorter than the one on top, path-finding of the units on the top lane can be confused, causing them to march along the bottom lane, unnecessarily weakening the top lane, so ideally just have about 4 buildings built side by side from the wall to where the two lanes start to curve towards the castle on the inner side of each lane, and build the other creep-spawning buildings elsewhere.
Thirdly, buildings built at the outer side of the lanes, right at the inner wall, are just barely within tower range. This means ranged units can be able to attack them without entering tower range. Since the towers should, ideally, protect the entire base, if you are going to build on the outer side of the lanes, do so a few spaces away from the inner wall.
The middle, between the two lanes, right behind the towers, is where buildings helping with repairing go (like Naga Coral Statues or Goblin Spare Part Yards). Note there must be enough space for the builders to fit in so they can repair. Further back is a good place for air units, as from there they will be sent along the middle and engage whatever targets they spot first on either lane (meaning they will always help the lane where the battle is taking place closer to your castle, i.e. the one where things are going worse for your team, which is generally desirable).
Since units should arrive as soon as possible, creep-spawning buildings should ideally be built as much to the front as possible without endangering them.

Special buildings are usually rather costly and valuable, so they should be built as far in the back as possible, where they are save.

Since a lot of special buildings can deal area damage to the enemy base, it is usually best not to cluster up too much, especially not to cluster up the most valuable stuff too much.

(more to follow)

A guide to Island Defense, courtesy of u-gotNOgame. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5670373&postcount=1241)

Istari
2007-09-25, 07:16 PM
Thanks I fixed my sig. By the way do you know if we can play together even though we are in different timezones? I'm in EST

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-25, 07:22 PM
If ladder wasn't the sole purpose of the clan, and even then depending on what custom games we would play on the sidelines. I'm in CST.

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 07:23 PM
Thanks I fixed my sig. By the way do you know if we can play together even though we are in different timezones? I'm in ESTSure we can, provided we can agree on a time. EST? If I'm not mistaken, that's 6 hours behind me. So when it's 8 PM for you, it's 2 AM on the next day for me.
Good thing I'm a night person. :smallbiggrin:

If ladder wasn't the sole purpose of the clan, and even then depending on what custom games we would play on the sidelines. I'm in CST.I enjoy custom games, but prefer "normal" games - can be against BNet opponents or each other, I don't care. So I'd hope we wouldn't limit ourselves to custom games, either.

tannish2
2007-09-25, 07:24 PM
ok you CAN play on any server at any time. the only difference is the anme and physical location of the server. THATS IT. obviously it takes a bit more time for your command to go all around the world 2x to get to the server than it would to just go nextdoor. but thats the only difference and its not THAT bad. i play on USwest mostly, but the whole universe would implode and then the whole of time and space will have being (time travel is involced) ceasing to have ever existed if i went to my USeast account (also i dont have a shiny picture and level 20ness)

Winterwind
2007-09-25, 07:32 PM
At least during that StarCraft game we played on Saturday I didn't notice any more lag to USEast than I usually have to Europe. So, no big deal.

starwoof
2007-09-25, 08:21 PM
I would join it. I wouldn't play off of USWest though, because I don't believe in East.

Icewalker
2007-09-25, 10:37 PM
Sounds good.

I just picked the game up again. I've primarily been playing custom games, but I keep considering moving into normal ones. I play in WST, but I'm alright with changing.

Also, we are talking Frozen Throne, right?

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-25, 11:00 PM
I enjoy custom games, but prefer "normal" games - can be against BNet opponents or each other, I don't care. So I'd hope we wouldn't limit ourselves to custom games, either.

Well, yeah, I meant if the focus was entirely on ladder I'd not be interested. Or DotA.

tannish2
2007-09-26, 12:44 AM
ladder is fun but gets boring. DOTA is a creation of pure evil, that i will not be touching with a 20 foot pole and a biohazard suit. also we should probably pick one server for both the SC thing and the WC thing. just because

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 04:45 AM
Also, we are talking Frozen Throne, right?Wanted to ask that myself. We are talking Frozen Throne, aren't we?

ladder is fun but gets boring. DOTA is a creation of pure evil, that i will not be touching with a 20 foot pole and a biohazard suit.Heh. I wouldn't have expressed it so drastically, but I generally second your notion regarding DotA. As for ladder, I don't find it's getting boring, but they tend to be highly exhausting; custom games are more recreational. Plus, they are fun. So I hope for both.

Well, yeah, I meant if the focus was entirely on ladder I'd not be interested. Or DotA.Understandable.

I would join it. I wouldn't play off of USWest though, because I don't believe in East.
also we should probably pick one server for both the SC thing and the WC thing. just becauseWe don't have to do that necessarily, but I think the USEast server is the most fair one - it's pretty central for all of us, unless people from Asia join up, that is.

Artemician
2007-09-26, 06:05 AM
I'm interested, pretty much. I'm okay with anything, really, Custom Games, Ladder, and DotA, anything goes.

I'm in GST +8. Could have a bit of a time zone problem. *Uneasy laugh*

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 06:10 AM
I'm in GST +8. Could have a bit of a time zone problem. *Uneasy laugh*Well... when it is afternoon in America, it is morning for you (and nighttime for me). Alternatively, when it is night in America, it is afternoon for you, and morning for me. Either of those might work.

Istari
2007-09-26, 02:11 PM
I peronally dont have frozen throne but the servers are compatable right?
As for the time I was thinking somtime Saturday when we would do a collcetion of custom and regular games.

tannish2
2007-09-26, 02:18 PM
U DONT HAVE FROZEN THRONE!?!?!? wow. u HAVE to get it. it has a lot more cool **** for the customs, custom spells for one.

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 02:39 PM
I peronally dont have frozen throne but the servers are compatable right?Yes and no. Those are the same servers; in fact, the BattleNet uses the same servers for all games, so you could have WC3-players, StarCraft-players and Diablo-players chatting all in one channel. However, the games themselves are not compatible. Isn't a problem though, it merely means the people with TFT would have to use their Reign of Chaos CDs instead. Maybe not even that, TFT might be backwards compatible.
However, most of our custom maps will not be working, and regular play has been greatly upgraded as well.
It's up to you, but my advise would be to get TFT as soon as possible. It's worth it.

As for the time I was thinking somtime Saturday when we would do a collcetion of custom and regular games.Saturday? Might be colliding with the GitP StarCraft group, but it depends on the time you had in mind.
So, what time did you have in mind?

Istari
2007-09-26, 05:35 PM
I was thinking around 2:00ish and I'm planning on getting TFT saturday.

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 05:47 PM
I was thinking around 2:00ish and I'm planning on getting TFT saturday.2:00ish means 2 PM EST, right?
Yeah, that sounds very well to me (and doesn't collide with the StarCraft group, either).

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-26, 06:12 PM
Yes and no. Those are the same servers; in fact, the BattleNet uses the same servers for all games, so you could have WC3-players, StarCraft-players and Diablo-players chatting all in one channel. However, the games themselves are not compatible. Isn't a problem though, it merely means the people with TFT would have to use their Reign of Chaos CDs instead. Maybe not even that, TFT might be backwards compatible.
However, most of our custom maps will not be working, and regular play has been greatly upgraded as well.
It's up to you, but my advise would be to get TFT as soon as possible. It's worth it.

I had a friend who only had RoC a while back, I don't believe TFT-RoC matches are possible. But we never actually tried he just told me I had to get on RoC if we wanted to play,

tannish2
2007-09-26, 06:33 PM
i would really prefer friday, but 2 PM eastern 11 AM pacific time. thats early.....

oh, and ya i cant find my ROC disk (ill look, but the custom maps kinda suck for it) and im quite sure that they dont work together. cmon, get TFT, you also get one of the better cutscenes in video games.

Winterwind
2007-09-26, 06:57 PM
I had a friend who only had RoC a while back, I don't believe TFT-RoC matches are possible. But we never actually tried he just told me I had to get on RoC if we wanted to play,It is quite likely. Obviously, if it worked, it had to be a pure RoC match, limited to RoC units, triggers, tilesets and such. I'm not sure whether such a game could be started with a TFT CD instead of a RoC CD, though. I doubt it, but maybe it would work.

i would really prefer friday, but 2 PM eastern 11 AM pacific time. thats early.....Both would work for me. I'd probably prefer Friday, of the two, but both are okay.

oh, and ya i cant find my ROC disk (ill look, but the custom maps kinda suck for it) and im quite sure that they dont work together. cmon, get TFT, you also get one of the better cutscenes in video games.He'd have to play through three campaigns to get that one, though, for I presume you are not talking about the intro video (which is fine, but not that great, as opposed to the video after the UD campaign).

Artemician
2007-09-27, 01:47 AM
It is quite likely. Obviously, if it worked, it had to be a pure RoC match, limited to RoC units, triggers, tilesets and such. I'm not sure whether such a game could be started with a TFT CD instead of a RoC CD, though. I doubt it, but maybe it would work.

You can boot up RoC with a TFT cd and vice versa. Seriously.

tannish2
2007-09-27, 03:03 AM
hhhmmm ill try that right now
hhhmmm i guess you can, weird. well anyway, TFT customs are way better than ROC ones. (also i kinda like some of the new heroes....)

Winterwind
2007-09-27, 04:51 AM
You can boot up RoC with a TFT cd and vice versa. Seriously.*forehead slap*
Ah, I'm stupid, I should've remembered that - now that you say it, I have done so before! :smallredface:

hhhmmm ill try that right now
hhhmmm i guess you can, weird. well anyway, TFT customs are way better than ROC ones. (also i kinda like some of the new heroes....)Not to mention the new units and the new damage/armour types in regard to regular games (I want my magic damage! I want my destroyers! :smalltongue: )

Ganon11
2007-09-27, 10:32 AM
Anyone up for some Warcraft 2 action? XD

I'm so 1337 at that game.

Winterwind
2007-09-27, 10:54 AM
Anyone up for some Warcraft 2 action? XD

I'm so 1337 at that game.:smallbiggrin:
I'd love to, but I have only the old version, before the BattleNet compatible one came out.
A guy I go to university with used to be German vice-champion in that game, though, and has told me a lot about the level of perfection some people ultimately attained in that game.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-27, 11:20 AM
ok ill join right now im addicted to custom games mostly mazes

Istari
2007-09-27, 02:17 PM
What time friday then I'm free from school at 3. Again I say I'm most likly getting FT this or next week.

Icewalker
2007-09-27, 05:57 PM
Ok: Uther Party!

Who's played it? Excellent custom game. Gotta have some of those.

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-27, 06:36 PM
Oooh, UP. I like that. I have a version still, I think. Another few favorites are OMFG The Zerglings ( :smallbiggrin: ), DoBRP, Real Life [for Morons], Island Defense and Film Maker. I... *might* still be able to host, I dunno yet, I could on my old computer, but I'm not sure.

*prepares to be bombarded with "omfg hsot dota plox!111!1"*

Istari
2007-09-27, 06:40 PM
Ok: Uther Party!

Who's played it? Excellent custom game. Gotta have some of those.

You know it.:smallbiggrin:

Also I think I can host but I am not quite sure.

LiteYear
2007-09-27, 07:15 PM
Uther Party is good, although I prefer an older version of it (Gold 0.50 I think) over the newer versions (the Ultimas).

Also, I can host games for sure.

Ganon11
2007-09-27, 10:32 PM
I never actually played Warcraft 2 on Battle Net, so I'm probably awful. I count my best accomplishment as beating the Orc campaign without cheating, and getting to the last level in the Human campaign without cheating. Something about having to invade a heavily defended outpost, and then build a settlement while Dragons are patrolling by, discouraged me from trying to beat that one.

Meeeeebit
2007-09-28, 06:28 AM
If anyone mentions "Lets play DOTA it will be great!" I will hunt down you then stalk your computer take out its hard drive place it in my shreder and clean any remains of DOta wil a cleansing bath of fire and fried chicken.

Dota is a work of great Evil that must be smited from all computers.:smallmad:

Artemician
2007-09-28, 06:39 AM
If anyone mentions "Lets play DOTA it will be great!" I will hunt down you then stalk your computer take out its hard drive place it in my shreder and clean any remains of DOta wil a cleansing bath of fire and fried chicken.

Dota is a work of great Evil that must be smited from all computers.:smallmad:

There's nothing wrong with DotA.. :smallannoyed:

In itself, it's a very well-designed custom game that is consistently bug-free, constantly updated and through constant tinkering, has achieved a modicum of balance.

The problem with it is that people host it to excess, and it drowns out other custom games. But that doesn't mean that there are any problems inherent in DotA.

To put it another way, if many people drive Toyotas, to the detriment of cars made by Jaguar and Renault, does it mean that Toyotas are necessarily bad?

WhatIsGravity
2007-09-28, 07:12 AM
Anything popular will, naturally, have a larger number of idiots. That is the only reason DotA "sucks".

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 08:42 AM
Uther Party is a fine custom map.
Regarding DotA, Artemician's right. DotA is fun; it's just unfortunately a bit too dominating.

So, back to the important matters - where do we meet? Which server and which channel?

DarkLightDragon
2007-09-28, 10:34 AM
I'm "meh" toward Uther Party. I'd rather play DotA though.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-28, 11:00 AM
dota sucks mazes rock uthur party is ok loap is like a box of chocklats you never know what your gonna get and tower wars are uber fun

do you like my poem?

RationalGoblin
2007-09-28, 11:00 AM
Ah, a Warcraft 3 group? TFT or ROC?

I cannot host, but I can play most of the time, and I have no clan, so it's all good. :smallbiggrin:

I'd love to play DoBRP, as DoTA gets old quickly, and I am an avid roleplayer. I might play Mauls though.

Crispy Dave
2007-09-28, 12:04 PM
join me with the awsomeness of mazes

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-28, 12:38 PM
Actually, DotA itself isn't really that awesome, and it's community, hype, and overhostedness make it a lot worse IMO. Tell me one unique gameplay factor DotA has that any other AoS doesn't and I might give you $20. In before "Make a game more popular than dota before you judge it."

Moving on.

It may have been deleted for inactiveness, but my account on USEast is/was Baneling_Aspect, though I haven't been on in ages. So I'd have to make a new one if this was USWest. Which I don't mind, I don't really play ladder.

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 02:09 PM
Isn't it 3 PM EST now? I think that was the last time that was suggested?

And we still need to agree upon a server and a channel. I suggest GitP for the channel name.

LiteYear
2007-09-28, 02:19 PM
Well, East might be a better choice since there are generally more people on East at this time. But it doesn't matter to me too much.

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 02:33 PM
Well, I just created an account on US East, just in case (the account being Winterwind_GitP).

So, US East, channel GitP?

And, when is the session planned to begin? Wasn't it supposed to be, kinda... now? :smallconfused:

Emperor Ing
2007-09-28, 02:37 PM
Warcraft III gitp meetup?! Count me in! :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2007-09-28, 03:26 PM
So, we're currently waiting on US East, channel GitP.
Anyone who wants to join us yet should hurry and do so now, I don't know how long until we get bored and start to, I don't know, take over the BattleNet or something. :smallwink:

Meeeeebit
2007-09-28, 11:08 PM
dota sucks mazes rock uthur party is ok loap is like a box of chocklats you never know what your gonna get and tower wars are uber fun

do you like my poem?

Lovely poem thank you..
Finaly someone who speaks the truth about dota!:smallsmile:

The Orange Zergling
2007-09-28, 11:27 PM
http://img337.imageshack.us/img337/2614/dotahaterms0.jpg

For all your DotA Hating needs. I didn't make it, though.

Oh yeah. Mauls. Mauls are fun, if they have fast build.

Istari
2007-10-07, 12:51 PM
got my FT copy today

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-07, 01:36 PM
Awesome.

Oooh yeah, more maps I like. Wolf Pack, Island Troll Tribes, and Micro Arena.

What was awesome about Micro Arena is that I had the best level-7 hero choice ever. As in, 5 food, 1 hero allowed, level 7, no air units. I hardly ever lost.

And it turns out my acc wasn't deleted. Yay.

Artemician
2007-10-10, 12:38 AM
So, is this thing on or what?

Have there been any games played? Fixed meeting times set?

My exams are almost over already, and nothing's happened? :smallmad:

tannish2
2007-10-10, 04:15 AM
i dont know, im almost always on west (even if im AFK) as tannish2 feel free to /w me, the SC one seems to be much more organized.

Setra
2007-10-10, 05:18 AM

Have there been any games played? Fixed meeting times set?
I'm curious as well, too bad I wasn't on earlier...

DarkLightDragon
2007-10-10, 05:43 AM
I love mauls. And there's also a Werewolf game that's fun as well.

EDIT: Run Kitty Run games are okay. So are normal games. I play as Night Elves in those. Fun.

Setra
2007-10-10, 06:11 AM
I love mauls. And there's also a Werewolf game that's fun as well.

EDIT: Run Kitty Run games are okay. So are normal games. I play as Night Elves in those. Fun.
Bleh I always sucked at the werewolf game.

I love Mauls, TDs, RPGs, and most other gametypes though.

I've never played DoTA though, my friends have a "Friends don't let friends play DoTA" policy.

Winterwind
2007-10-10, 06:14 AM

Have there been any games played? Fixed meeting times set?Well, we met two weeks ago on the date that had been discussed last in this thread, four folks in total, and played a couple of various custom maps (most of them curtesy of LiteYear).

Nothing happened since.

tannish2
2007-10-10, 01:45 PM
hhhmmmm... would you mind organizing it, since you seem to be decent at that?
ide love to get some more peoples asses to kick at vampire hunters. or really any of the customs i play, or even melee. where i either get matched with someone so far above my skill level that i may as well instaleave or the opponet is playing their first game, and wants to know how to select multiple units.

Winterwind
2007-10-10, 02:06 PM
hhhmmmm... would you mind organizing it, since you seem to be decent at that? Me? Decent at organising? :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin: :smallbiggrin:
Well, that's a new one. :smallwink:
Anyway, I would do it, but not now. Starting next week I should have more time and, more importantly, more leisure.

ide love to get some more peoples asses to kick at vampire hunters. or really any of the customs i play, or even melee. where i either get matched with someone so far above my skill level that i may as well instaleave or the opponet is playing their first game, and wants to know how to select multiple units.Agreed, with both. (In my case, it's more that I much prefer playing with people I know - even if it's just in the sense of knowing them via the Playground - than with strangers)

Artemician
2007-10-11, 12:12 AM
But before Winterwind gets more time (one week is a long time in politics), nothing's going to happen.

I recommend we post our usernames here first. Who knows, maybe something'll happen.

Windwaker@USWEST

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-11, 12:17 AM
Baneling_Aspect on USEast, as said before.

DarkLightDragon
2007-10-11, 03:38 AM
I'll check what server I'm on later. And I'll actually have less time next week, but I'll see about the weekends. And timezones. That might slow things too.

:smallannoyed:

Setra
2007-10-11, 04:31 AM
BDSetra @ USEast

Istari
2007-10-15, 02:26 PM
Istari. at US East

and is fridays @ 4:00 the time

Setra
2007-10-15, 04:04 PM
I kinda thought it'd be decided upon every now and then...

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-10-15, 06:26 PM
it would be better if the first poster made a list of all the accounts in the first one (through edit, more visible).
I haven't created and account on battle.net (never played online war3) but i'll join to play on weekends (after starcraft :P)

Maged
2007-10-15, 07:10 PM
Hey i havent played Warcraft in a while but i would love to join. Im EST and am up for anything. I just need to download my Warcraft on to my computer again.

Istari
2007-10-18, 02:23 PM
So what date and time was decided upon, also what type of things will be played?

Winterwind
2007-10-18, 02:35 PM
Nothing was decided yet.

But given that the last time we have played on a Friday, you propose a Friday yourself, and Friday has the advantage of not colliding with the StarCraft group, I would say we should stick to that.

Now all we need is a time. You proposed 4 PM - if I recall correctly that was EST, right?

Sounds fine for me.

As for things to be played, in the past weeks my experience with the StarCraft group and the single WarCraft meeting has taught me that it doesn't make any sense to decide upon that beforehand. Because you neither know how many people will show up, nor what their preferences will be at that moment. Last time, we played custom maps, choosing them spontaneously according to people's proposals. Which is the only way to do this, really.

Winterwind
2007-10-19, 03:02 PM
Friday, 4 PM EST would be right now, wouldn't it?
Hmmm. Kinda empty here. :smalltongue:

Setra
2007-10-19, 10:21 PM
Friday, 4 PM EST would be right now, wouldn't it?
Hmmm. Kinda empty here. :smalltongue:
Son of a kitten

I missed it.

Ironically I've been playing Warcraft 3 for the past 4 hours, but during that time I was playing City of Heroes -.-;

Winterwind
2007-10-20, 04:32 AM
Son of a kitten

I missed it.

Ironically I've been playing Warcraft 3 for the past 4 hours, but during that time I was playing City of Heroes -.-;You didn't miss anything, there wasn't a living soul present. :smallbiggrin:

Time that we start getting this organised. So, for next week:

We have already fixed the meeting place: the server is Azeroth (USEast), the channel is gitp. So far, so good.

Now we need a time. The last proposal (by Istari) is Fridays, 4 PM EST(=GMT-5).

That sounds fine for me. Does anyone have a different proposal, preference, whatever?

Fortunately, my first post in this thread is the second post of the thread alltogether, so it is easy to find - I will edit everything relevant into that post, like I did in the BroodWar thread.

Setra
2007-10-20, 04:29 PM
Hopefully I'll be there.

Winterwind
2007-10-22, 01:27 AM
Well, I know now that I almost assuredly will not be there this Friday (farewell party of a good friend who moves away), but I will send out the reminders nevertheless.

Also, like in the StarCraft thread, this thread should probably be used to arrange spontaneous meetings as well. So if you are bored and feel like playing WarCraft, just say so here, and maybe someone who shares your feelings will join you. :smallwink:

Istari
2007-10-22, 03:00 PM
Does anyone want to make an offical clan for the group?

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-22, 04:03 PM
I'm sorry, but I'd have to pass on the Clan if one is formed... Inter-clan politics, sabotages, commitments and other crap made me swear them off.

Winterwind
2007-10-22, 07:42 PM
I don't really care. I don't think it would have any benefits for our loose just-for-fun group.

Setra
2007-10-22, 11:49 PM
I wouldn't mind being in a clan, as long as, ya know, we're not forced to do stuff.

Winterwind
2007-10-25, 08:38 AM
Quick reminder: tomorrow, at 4 PM EST, is when the next meeting is planned. Nobody voiced other preferences, so I suppose we stick with that.

I won't be able to come tomorrow, but I wish you lots of fun. :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-10-25, 11:13 AM
I'll be there, hopefully.

Crispy Dave
2007-10-25, 12:17 PM
4 wont work because it would be 1 for me but Id love to start playing with you guys I probably cant get on even of Friday because thats when I do my weekly dnd night

Winterwind
2007-10-25, 01:39 PM
4 wont work because it would be 1 for me but Id love to start playing with you guys I probably cant get on even of Friday because thats when I do my weekly dnd nightIn that case, make a suggestion for a time that would suit you better for next week (this week, we keep the time already fixed). We are too many to accomodate everyone, probably, but we can try nevertheless. (Saturday would collide with the StarCraft group, unfortunately, which would be bad for people who want to participate in both).

Poison_Fish
2007-10-25, 01:44 PM
Flib@uswest

I play mostly anything. Though, lately it's been a lot of DotA and similar types of games.

Crispy Dave
2007-10-25, 05:48 PM
hmmm what about 7 est(4 pst)

Inhuman Bot
2007-10-25, 08:11 PM
online iam big suprise, Slaanash. I do Want to join that list, and play with other Giantip, if possible. hop to see you there!

(Especially if anyone wants to play something other then Dota or island d or aezorath wars >:p.

Setra
2007-10-25, 11:25 PM
Buahahaha, I just realized.. today, I probably can't make it.

It's my birthday so I'll probably be busy. Then again I might not.

Either way it's still a mystery if I'll wake up in time...

Winterwind
2007-10-26, 01:57 AM
Alright, Poison_Fish, Slaanesh, I got you added to the list. Welcome. :smallsmile:

Note that the next meeting is supposed to be today (Friday), 4 PM EST, on the USEast server (Azeroth).

crispydave, I have no problems with the time you suggest (even though it is a bit late in the night for me) - how about the others?
Also, I would suggest that, if you happen to have time and desire to play at this hour today, you check in the BattleNet whether anyone is online (not necessarily in the channel, but in the BattleNet) - going by experience, these meetings usually take longer than three hours, so you have a chance someone will still be left and willing to play.

Generally, the times we decide upon in this thread are no strict deadlines - if someone can only join in later, (s)he shall feel free to do so.

Happy birthday, Setra! May all your wishes come true! :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2007-10-26, 10:43 AM
happy birthday today i mite not be able to make it at 8 est either mabey 9 but probly not

we should all post our names here (i dont have my name yet on east)

Winterwind
2007-10-26, 12:09 PM
I update my first post to accommodate new names as often as possible; however, since USEast is our server of choice right now, I do so only for people who post their USEast-server names.

Which reminds me, Slaanesh - is your BattleNet name indeed Slaanash, as you wrote in your last post, or was that a typo?

Setra
2007-10-26, 12:55 PM
I think I'm just gonna hop on now and start randomly adding you people.

Maybe some will be on.

Edit: Nnnnope

Edit Edit: I'll just be hovering on WC3, checking in every now and then while I surf the net.

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-26, 04:59 PM
As brief as it was, it was fun.

I'm thinking we should make this annual, like every friday at 4pm EST or whatever.

Setra
2007-10-26, 05:04 PM
Well that sounds good to me.

Istari
2007-10-26, 05:19 PM
sorry i couldnt mak it today but do we have a complete list of praticipents

Crispy Dave
2007-10-26, 06:43 PM
Im on right now my name is Crispydave

I would prefer it if we could change the meeting time to like 7 est

Winterwind
2007-10-26, 08:23 PM
Finally back. Sorry again I couldn't make it. I hope you all had lots of fun? Can someone fill me in on what happened?

As brief as it was, it was fun.

I'm thinking we should make this annual, like every friday at 4pm EST or whatever.Well, that's the idea.

crispydave proposed 7 PM EST instead. Voices on that?

sorry i couldnt mak it today but do we have a complete list of praticipentsMay I point you here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3248597&postcount=2)? :smallwink:

Istari
2007-10-27, 07:07 AM
I cant make it before 3:30 or after 8:00 and prefably not around 5 but I can make 7

So 7 is fine with me but we need to check everyone else

SirSigfried
2007-10-27, 10:29 AM
libertarian_sdr @ us_east

(yes, yes I wear my political heart on my shoulder so sue me, no place to debate it here and I don't want to hear about it on bnet.... unless its a complement):smallbiggrin:

I've a fair bit of skill, just haven't logged in about a month, after my computer died. But I should have a substitute by next week on Friday.

Winterwind
2007-10-27, 12:05 PM
Okay, so, unless there are voices opposed to the change, I'll put down 7 PM EST as our standard meeting time now.

Also, welcome, SirSigfried. :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2007-10-27, 02:39 PM
I win I win woot!!!!!!

yayyyy

ill try to get away form my buzy halo 3 playing to come

The Orange Zergling
2007-10-27, 03:28 PM
If we do 7PM I might have substantially less time to play then at 3, but I can still play a game or two.

Winterwind
2007-10-27, 10:13 PM
How about a compromise, then?

We could start at, say, 6 PM EST and anyone who can only come later simply joins in when they can - in the StarCraft group we usually don't appear all at the time we agreed upon either, but some people join in long after that, sometimes as much as one or two hours later.

Istari
2007-10-28, 09:09 AM
Just to remind everyone try to put Gitp next to any games you host for other people.

Winterwind
2007-10-29, 03:39 AM
I don't think that would accomplish much. The list of open custom games is long, it's far from complete, and people are prone to miss some lonesome entry containing a GitP tag.

A much more effective way to make sure we indeed notice other Playgrounders who are currently online would be if we just add each other to our friend lists (in case you forgot how/don't know how, just type "/f a Name", replacing Name with the account name you wish to add), and then check which people from the friend list are online (which you can do by typing "/f l").

Also, use the GitP channel.

I think this bears much better chances of running into each other than indicating one's presence in any custom game names.

SirSigfried
2007-10-29, 08:24 AM
I've just been looking at the bnet screen names on winterwind's list, on the ladder, and I just realized how I have no life....

Libertarian_SDR

Level 18 random team

118 wins
109 losses

:smalleek: :smallcool: :smallbiggrin:

Winterwind
2007-10-29, 11:06 AM
You think that's much?

My Europe account (named differently) has similarly many games, but that does not take all the games I made with my friends only into account. My StarCraft account has easily four or five times that many.

Which is still few if compared with my friends, who have several thousands each.

Also, keep in mind many people (including Playgrounders from that list) play only custom games, which don't add to the statistic either.

So I think your life is still (comparably) safe. :smallwink:

Inhuman Bot
2007-10-29, 08:22 PM
Yeah, so if anyone likes custom games whisper me ( Slaanash) as i can host and have a decent selection of maps. Also I logged in once and i had only a fraction of my maps. anyone know why this might be?

Winterwind
2007-10-30, 02:28 AM
Yeah, so if anyone likes custom games whisper me ( Slaanash) as i can host and have a decent selection of maps. Also I logged in once and i had only a fraction of my maps. anyone know why this might be?Hmmm... no, no idea.
I suppose it might happen if you accidentally logged in over Reign of Chaos instead of The Frozen Throne, but you would have noticed that.
A new patch might render some maps dysfunctional, but they should still be visible in the selection, so that shouldn't be it, either.
So, no, dunno what might have caused that.

Setra
2007-10-30, 02:31 AM
Anyone here ever play Bayu's Firestorm TD?

It's a TD that requires a huge amount of planning, and working together to beat.

Was trying it public earlier, always lost around level 10-13.

Winterwind
2007-10-30, 02:39 AM
Anyone here ever play Bayu's Firestorm TD?

It's a TD that requires a huge amount of planning, and working together to beat.

Was trying it public earlier, always lost around level 10-13.I haven't... but my experience with custom games is limited, to say the least.

However, judging from the impressions I got in the past weeks, the person you need to ask is LiteYear. If it's a map, and it's a custom, he surely has played it. :smallcool:

Winterwind
2007-11-01, 03:45 PM
Okay folks, reminder: Tomorrow the next session is planned!

I put down the time as 6 PM EST, since this is the last time suggested and a compromise between the times proposed so far. If you want that changed, that's the last chance! :smallwink:

Also, I would like to participate this time, only... I am currently not at home, and hence have only my laptop with me. The laptop would, in theory, be perfectly sufficient for playing WarCraft, but for some completely inexplicable reason it keeps crashing whenever I start a WC3 game. It's the only game that causes this, too, and the crash results in a blue screen that is visible for maybe half a second, and then a complete reboot of the computer. :smalleek:
I have no idea whatsoever what might cause this or how to get rid of that problem. Re-installing the game didn't accomplish anything. So, unless I can find out what to do, I guess I will have to pass again. :smallmad:
Oh, well... at least next week I should be able to participate, finally.

Istari
2007-11-02, 02:55 PM
so your saying that we should tell anyone else about the game in chat?

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 03:10 PM
so your saying that we should tell anyone else about the game in chat?I don't know whom you mean by "anyone else", but the easiest way to get all Playgrounders together is if everyone just joins the GitP channel and we (or, this week, you, since I can't participate) agree what to play and how to name the game there.
Also, if the channel should be empty, check whether anyone from the list is online - they might have gotten impatient and already started a game, so whisper them to bring yourself to their attention.

Poison_Fish
2007-11-02, 03:43 PM
Note to all. For US:East, I'm renamed to flibs.

I wouldn't mind if we could do US West though. Just a preference thing (and slightly less delays for me).

Winterwind
2007-11-02, 04:35 PM
Note to all. For US:East, I'm renamed to flibs.Noted.

I wouldn't mind if we could do US West though. Just a preference thing (and slightly less delays for me).I play off my normal server anyway, and I don't think there's much difference between East and West for me (haven't tried it yet though), so I don't really mind that much; however, since we already started on East, and since I know of quite a couple of Playgrounders who are regularly online on East (of course, I wouldn't know of Playgrounders who play regularly on West, since I never visited that server, so that might not mean much), I would prefer it to stay as it is.
...anyway, I cast my vote for East, but won't defend it all that vehemently if more people would prefer a change. So, if more people want it changed to West (or don't want it changed to West, for that matter), speak up.

Also, some people said they didn't really like the new time at 6:00 EST, and preferred it to be earlier. I'm fine with anything in this regard (well... the earlier, the better for me, but ultimately anything works), but we need to find some compromise that works for everyone, somehow. So, voices on that?

Poison_Fish
2007-11-02, 04:58 PM
Well, I'm essentially good from 1:30 to 5 usually on Fridays. I have other obligations following that though.

Crispy Dave
2007-11-02, 04:58 PM
my votes for west

me and piosen are on right now so post here when yull be coming on or meeet us there were probly gonna go ahead and start a game

Poison_Fish
2007-11-02, 09:06 PM
Sorry about that, one of my housemates reset the whole router, hopefully things will go better for next session.

Winterwind
2007-11-03, 03:33 AM
So, I hope all went well and everyone had fun? I should be able to make it next week, finally.

Okay, concerning the time when we begin: I think if we start around 4:00 everyone will have some time interval when (s)he can participate. The sessions of the past usually were long enough, so that if we started at 4:00 people who could only play from, for example, 6:00 onwards could simply join in. I believe it would work.

Shall we give that a try?

Crispy Dave
2007-11-03, 12:32 PM
i cant make it on most days till about 8 est yesterday was an exception but this week i probly wont be able to come

Edanor
2007-11-03, 12:41 PM
Man... I used to have my copy of 'craft III but it got scratched up (I honestly don't know HOW it got that way. I put it in the case shiney, it came out looking like the bellguard on my epee!)

Now all I have is StarCraft.

Winterwind
2007-11-03, 01:01 PM
Too bad about that CD. :smalleek:
They usually have WC3 rather cheap nowadays, though; I know I can get WarCraft with expansion for around 20 € here.

Otherwise, if all you have is StarCraft, may I point you to this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57429) friendly thread next door? :smallwink:

Setra
2007-11-03, 11:41 PM
Damn I was hoping I'd have been back by Friday.

"Might have to be gone a day" he says.. On Wednesday!

Ah well, hope you all had fun :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2007-11-07, 12:34 PM
Umm... folks? Could we get a few more voices on when, exactly, and where we are supposed to meet?

So far there's two votes in favour of moving to West, and one in favour of staying on East.

Also, the time when people want to play varies, from as early as 2:00 PM EST to as late as 8:00 PM EST.

My compromise proposal would be to meet at 4:00 PM (since more people were in favour of the rather earlier times so far) and people who can join in only later do so whenever they can, but that's just one possible solution.

So, what shall we do? C'mon, say something! :smallwink:

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-07, 02:40 PM
I guess I'd prefer East, since I've been there since the beginning, but I'm located near the middle of the US so it wouldn't make that much of a difference. So I don't care a whole lot.

Setra
2007-11-07, 03:53 PM
I would prefer staying on East, as I am in the eastern zone.

But west is okay too, just saying.

Winterwind
2007-11-08, 12:59 PM
3:2

So I marked East as meeting place for tomorrow; if more votes are cast in favour of West, we'll switch, but tomorrow, we play on East.

Lacking more input regarding time, and considering there were more people who said they favoured an earlier meeting time, I wrote 4 PM EST in the PMs; those who can't join in as early, just come at your leisure whenever you see fit and see whether we're still online. Chances are, we might.

And finally, I should be able to make it again finally, and in time, too. :smallsmile:

RationalGoblin
2007-11-08, 08:40 PM
Hmmm... I'm in the Western part of the US, so I will lag, but overall, I think that Eastern is more polite, so I'm fine with this.

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 06:14 AM
Wow, the Universe must really be trying to keep me from playing with you guys. :smalleek:

I learned yesterday that a good friend of mine, who moved away recently, might be visiting me and staying here over night today. If that happens, I won't be able to come, once again. Otherwise, I'll be there. Well, we'll see. If I can't come, I wish you lots of fun. :smallsmile:

Emperor Ing
2007-11-09, 06:16 AM
Eastern. Definitely.

But winterwind, if your visiting friend does come, you can still declare your soverignty over the computer. :smallwink:

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 06:23 AM
But winterwind, if your visiting friend does come, you can still declare your soverignty over the computer. :smallwink:Well, yes, I could do that... only that long-time-no-see real life friends take precedence over playing computer games, even with such an amiable crowd as you folks. :smallwink:

Crispy Dave
2007-11-09, 11:19 AM
but...but.. I thought what we had was special

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 11:32 AM
but...but.. I thought what we had was specialIt's... it's not what it looks like! :smalleek:

Crispy Dave
2007-11-09, 12:50 PM
yes it is your lying were...were... were through

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 02:34 PM
...I never loved you anyway! *sob*

In other news, just got a call - my friend's not going to come after all, so I'll be present at today's session. :smallsmile:

Setra
2007-11-09, 04:05 PM
*yawn* I just woke up.. what time is it.. ... 4? Crap! *hurries onto WC3*

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-09, 07:07 PM
Aaaand I totally forgot about the whole thing. :smalleek:

SirSigfried
2007-11-09, 07:44 PM
Several members should still be online as of this posting at 7:48 PM EST.

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 08:53 PM
Yeah, we are still playing, so if anyone wants to join in - we're still here! :smallwink:

Crispy Dave
2007-11-09, 10:32 PM
crap i missed it

Winterwind
2007-11-09, 11:51 PM
Just to give you an idea, only now is when we finished (midnight EST), and we might have kept on playing for yet a while longer if there had been more people left.
So, if you miss the time when the session is scheduled to start, don't worry and check whether we are still online - chances are, we will be. :smallcool:

Istari
2007-11-10, 08:46 AM
Yeah we had a great meeting last night

oh and my vote is for east

Setra
2007-11-10, 05:04 PM
Just a suggestion for next meet

Anyone heard of a game called TMs Riddles?

Winterwind
2007-11-15, 05:40 PM
Reminder, tomorrow's our weekly session. Usual time (4 PM EST), usual place (USEast/Azeroth, channel GitP).

Remember that the sessions usually are rather long, so even if you miss 4 PM by many hours, do not assume the session is over, check whether there are still people online - the list of all BattleNet nicknames is in the second post of this thread. Chances are, we will still be playing.

I think I will make it, but I might not, or only late, not sure yet.

Winterwind
2007-11-22, 03:04 PM
Reminder once more. Tomorrow's our weekly session again.

...Wow, eerily silent in this thread here. Echo! Eeeecho??? *Echo... Echo... echo...*
Cool. :smallbiggrin:

Anyhow, somebody - SirSigfried, if I remember correctly - proposed, that we make a list of all the custom maps we play, so that everyone is able to download the maps ahead of time. Now, it is hardly possible to make a complete list, since we pretty much play something new every week, but I guess making a list of the maps more likely to be played in the nearer future still wouldn't hurt. Maybe it would save us time discussing what we want to play next in the channel, too.
I'm not exactly qualified to make such a list, though. Somebody more knowledgeable in custom maps ready to do it?

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-22, 03:26 PM
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/ has a large database of maps, so you can try to check there to download maps if you want. (Download the map file, put it into your Downloads folder in your map folder) They ban pornographic maps, so that's one genre less to clog the thing when looking for something. :smallwink:

Winterwind
2007-11-22, 07:40 PM
http://www.hiveworkshop.com/resources_new/maps/ has a large database of maps, so you can try to check there to download maps if you want. I believe this: http://www.epicwar.com/maps/
is the site our resident custom map guru, LiteYear, has suggested to use, if you want another site additionally to the one The Orange Zergling linked to..

...pornographic maps...:smalleek:

What... how... who would...?

On second thought, scratch that, I don't wanna know...

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-22, 07:52 PM
Ooh, epicwar, I've heard good stuff about them. Can't say I've looked through the site, though.

And you really don't wanna know.

Setra
2007-11-22, 07:53 PM
On second thought, scratch that, I don't wanna know...
It's actually pretty simple.. but, eh.

Crispy Dave
2007-11-23, 12:27 PM
i might be on today but probably not because my dads coming up to see me

Setra
2007-11-23, 03:03 PM
I'll be hovering on the channel

And by hovering I mean I'll be alt tabbing back and forth.

Yes I realize it's not time yet.

Edit: Okay so I'm not a ninja, still.

Get on everyone >.>

Prince Gimli
2007-11-23, 05:12 PM
How odd, I taskswitch to check the time, and now I cannot connect to US East, but I can connect to Europe. Strange...:smallannoyed:

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-23, 08:12 PM
I'll try to come on in a bit, I've been gone most of the day and I still have a couple things to do.

Setra
2007-11-23, 08:27 PM
Well I had fun!

Hope to see some of you tomorrow.

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-23, 10:24 PM
Sorry for cutting it short -- even though it was fun, brings back memories...

I dunno why, but I just don't think I'm as enthusiastic about WC3 at the moment as I have been, I'll probably get back into it, but you may want to change my status from "active" to "might show up".

Winterwind
2007-11-24, 12:07 PM
All right (and I know about such phases) - do you want me to keep sending you these reminder PMs nevertheless?

The Orange Zergling
2007-11-24, 01:57 PM
Sure. Maybe part of it is that I can't host anymore -- I know how to make it so I can, I just haven't done the procedure for this computer yet.

Winterwind
2007-11-24, 02:46 PM
Usually, when somebody can't host, it's a matter of port forwarding.

But then, in our group it's usually LiteYear (the custom map grandmaster) who ends up hosting anyway (since he has all maps that are in existance).

Istari
2007-11-24, 04:31 PM
sorry I couldn't make it. We went down to see my grandparents

Drago
2007-11-26, 11:04 PM
Hey Winterwind, you might as well sign me up (Drago_the_Lord) I may not be able to make it every Friday, but I'm sure I'll manage some.

Winterwind
2007-11-27, 03:36 AM
I didn't? Oh, whoops, I thought I had done it instantly. :smallredface:
Mistake amended. :smallwink:

Crispy Dave
2007-11-28, 07:56 PM
i didn't make it last week obliviously and probably wont be here this week or till the end of the holidays

Winterwind
2007-11-29, 07:24 PM
Here's the weekly reminder - tomorrow's our next session.

Sorry for posting/PMing this only now, was a bit busy. :smallwink:

Setra
2007-11-29, 07:40 PM
Alas I can't play WC3 or SC for now.

I recently moved back in with my mother (unexpectedly) and my computer is not here, nor are my discs.

My mother's laptop probably couldn't run WC3 anyways...

Winterwind
2007-12-06, 12:26 PM
So, remember, everyone, tomorrow's our session once again! :smallsmile:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-06, 05:22 PM
Oooh, I've discovered a game that I am in absolute love with: Rabbits vs Sheep!

Basically, you pick a hero, and each team goes into it's own little arena. A rabbit or sheep spawns on each side and tries to kill you. It's weak, won't stand a chance against 5 heroes. But, each one you kill spawns 2 on the other side. Madness ensues. :smallcool:

Winterwind
2007-12-06, 05:44 PM
Sounds funny. :smallbiggrin:

I suspect the games are pretty short, aren't they?

Also, I want to be on the team which has to fight the Rabbits. At least this team has an excuse.

"No... the monster is the rabbit!"

Just wished I had a Holy Grenade...

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-06, 05:58 PM
5-6 minutes per round, but the game itself lasts 5 rounds, during which time you can repick your hero. Also, most heroes have been modified to have massive slaughter-tastic AoE spells. Non-combat abilities like Far Sight are replaced with temporary invulnerability, and stuff. The match actually ends not when everybody dies, but when 150 rabbits/sheep are on your side, in which case you lose the match. Thus the Tauren Chieftain and other aoe-kings pwn, while the Blademaster sucks, except for his ult.

But it's fun, plus custom heroes. :smallbiggrin: I love the Ranger (but only after 1.0, before that she sucks) and the Ancient Fighter.

Chibiqueso
2007-12-07, 11:42 AM
So any of the custom game lovers ever play Advent of the Zenith or Desert of Eternity? Both are nify aos(es? IS there a plural for Aos?) with interesting custom heroes (skins and whatnot) and spells and, except for the 1.0 versions of AotZ, they're not item based, and much more unit based, so hey, if you hate DotA becuase of those poweritems of DOOM, you might like this.

SomewhatOkay on UsEast. I'm in for game playing, but I don't think I'll be able to today, unless my plans for today fall into shambles. Which is possible considering some of my friends.

And yes, RvS is painfully fun.

I think this might be the longest post I've made on this forum, too. Ah...lurking.

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-07, 03:35 PM
Unless my time is screwed up, half an hour till the gaming begins.

Also, while it's in no shape for public testing yet, I suspect by next week my own map will be far along in development to be fit for eyes other than my own. Only 45% of items and 65% of heroes have been implemented so far, and there is no victory yet, you see. It's no Age of Myths or anything, but hey, it's my first quasi-competent map. :smallsmile: Castle Defense/Hero Siege-ish type thing.

Winterwind
2007-12-07, 03:42 PM
Welcome to the group, Chibiqueso! :smallsmile:

Unless my time is screwed up, half an hour till the gaming begins.Even less by my clock (which is radio-controlled, so should be about right) - 9 minutes as of hitting the Submit Reply button of this post.

Also, while it's in no shape for public testing yet, I suspect by next week my own map will be far along in development to be fit for eyes other than my own. Only 45% of items and 65% of heroes have been implemented so far, and there is no victory yet, you see. It's no Age of Myths or anything, but hey, it's my first quasi-competent map. :smallsmile: Castle Defense/Hero Siege-ish type thing.Cool! Eager to see it! :smallsmile:

Drago
2007-12-08, 03:40 PM
The little I played yesterday was a blast. Sorry I couldn't make it back, my DM called a said we're meeting today, a week earlier than planed, so I had to whip my character together. I should be able to make it next week for a few hours though.

Blood
2007-12-11, 06:55 AM
Warcraft III: one of the few older online computer games that's still fun. You can add me if you like, though I've been known to be an ... erratic player.

(Username: Moozy)

Emperor Ing
2007-12-11, 07:23 AM
welcome Blood

We usually meet on Wc3, Domain:Azeroth, Time: 4:00pm EST Day: Fridays

And I changed my usernameto something you may recognize better. :smallamused:

Blood
2007-12-11, 03:36 PM
welcome Blood

We usually meet on Wc3, Domain:Azeroth, Time: 4:00pm EST Day: Fridays

And I changed my usernameto something you may recognize better. :smallamused:
I'll be sure to remember that - 4 PM EST on Fridays. But most Fridays I'm gone from 5-6, so I'll only have an hour or so...

And what's your new username?

Winterwind
2007-12-11, 04:13 PM
Welcome to the group, Blood. :smallsmile:

You're gone from five to six, you say? Now, that's hardly a problem; the sessions rarely end sooner than, oh, something like 11 PM EST, and more often than not go on until 2-3 AM or so.

So, the time frame in which you can join, if you so desire, is rather large. :smallwink:

So what is your new nickname, Randomizer? (Though, I never had any problems with Sirendeous...)

Mr. Mud
2007-12-11, 05:03 PM
:smallbiggrin: I'd love if I could Join (Username: Blargade (on Azeroth), but not on a whole lot

Mr. Mud
2007-12-11, 05:20 PM
Anyone Mind Recruiting me? :smallredface: Mail me, or reply in this thread...

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-11, 05:26 PM
Yay, Moozy!

There's no clan I'm aware of, just show up on Fridays at 4pm EST on USEast in channel gitp.

EDIT: Or, as Winter said, later is fine too. :smalltongue:

Mr. Mud
2007-12-11, 05:32 PM
Ahh, okay... thanks all :smallcool:

Winterwind
2007-12-12, 05:23 AM
Alright, Mrmud, I got you added to the list at this thread's beginning, and that's, as Orange Zergling said, all "recruitment" there is. We have no clan and no organisation beyond this thread; we just meet weekly for a bit of fun. Welcome to GitP WarCraft group. :smallsmile:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-12, 03:08 PM
Good news - after much trial and error I can now host. (apologies and/or cookies to moozy for putting up with me during the "error" part)

Which means that my lust for Rabbits vs Sheep will be satiated... somewhat. :smallamused: :smalltongue:

Setra
2007-12-12, 05:43 PM
I finally have my computer back and get to work both Friday and Saturday -.-;

6PM til 1AM.

Might be able to play some Friday.

Winterwind
2007-12-13, 01:08 PM
Good news - after much trial and error I can now host. (apologies and/or cookies to moozy for putting up with me during the "error" part)

Which means that my lust for Rabbits vs Sheep will be satiated... somewhat. :smallamused: :smalltongue:I hope not over-satiated. I like it myself quite a bit, wouldn't want to have it missing from our playlist! :smalltongue:

I finally have my computer back and get to work both Friday and Saturday -.-;

6PM til 1AM.

Might be able to play some Friday.Welcome back, Setra! :smallsmile:

So, reminder, tomorrow's our session again! I am not 100% sure whether I will show up, but I think I will!
EDIT: Wow, first time five PMs were required to reach every group member! We're growing! :smallsmile:

Also, what do you think about the way we handled our custom map selection last time? (everyone making a proposal and us going through with the list, as opposed to our former "discuss until we find something everyone wants to play") It is a lot faster this way, even though it requires some compromises...
The only problem I see with that is that some maps take longer than others, making this approach not exactly fair - maybe next time, we should say that short maps get played several times? (Yes, I admit that I would benefit the most from that :smalltongue: )

Blood
2007-12-13, 01:47 PM
Bah. We're not one of those stuck-up, annoying, overly-organized clans. (Because most of them are like that on WC3.) We should just log on, then talk and/or play random custom maps/real WC3 maps, as chosen by whomever. It's pretty much what I do, anyway. :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2007-12-13, 02:12 PM
Yeah, that's generally my preferred solution, too, and the way we always did it naturally; it's just that sometimes, it takes so long to decide on what we all want to play. But yeah, I guess you're right, we should stick to the friendly and informal "talk it through" approach. Sorry, I think my desire to keep this group working in an as much as possible fun for everyone manner went overboard with me here. :smallwink:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-13, 11:22 PM
Nope, I'm still an addict. :smalltongue:

I guess I wouldn't mind either method, myself.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-13, 11:54 PM
if we can i wouldent mind starting a clan just to make it easyer to keep in touch and stuff

Cryopyre
2007-12-13, 11:59 PM
I propose we start the group: AHA (Alliance-Horde Alliance)

If you're sick of being called sadistic for playing the Horde or immature for playing the Alliance, join now, so you can chat with the opposing faction before killing them!

starwoof
2007-12-14, 12:58 AM

If you're sick of being called sadistic for playing the Horde or immature for playing the Alliance, join now, so you can chat with the opposing faction before killing them!

I vote we call it HAA. Horde-Alliance Alliance, because alliance sux. :smallsigh: :smallsmile: Sometime I'll show up for a game day, but I'm usually busy fridays. Also its a lot of trouble for me to switch from west to east. :smalltongue:

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 01:10 AM
if we can i wouldent mind starting a clan just to make it easyer to keep in touch and stuffWhy, do clans get some extra options for communication, or what? And if so, what are they? ('cause I have trouble imagining what could be more helpful for staying in touch than the friend list)

If you're sick of being called sadistic for playing the Horde or immature for playing the Alliance, join now, so you can chat with the opposing faction before killing them!...Eh? You realise this is a WarCraft 3 group here, not World of WarCraft, right? :smalltongue:

Sometime I'll show up for a game day, but I'm usually busy fridays.Ah, I've been wondering why we never heard anything from you. Well, good luck finding the time, then, and keep in mind the sessions are long, so if you don't have time at 4 PM, come at 9 PM - we're very, very likely still be there.

Also its a lot of trouble for me to switch from west to east. :smalltongue:Yeeees. Of cooooourse it is. :smalltongue:

LiteYear
2007-12-14, 02:19 AM
From what I remember, the Clan Tab will list all the members of the clan you're in, and whether they're online (unfortunately, there wasn't any things like /f l or /f m for clan members). There was some sort of clan msg thing, but I think that only E-Mailed the message. The only other positive I can remember is that a clan gets their own channel, and members of the clan will go to that channel initially when they "enter chat" (instead of Frozen Throne USA-X). I don't know if it's worth it (especially since you need 10 people online at once to create the clan).

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 02:27 AM
10 people online at once? Hmmm... with a bit luck, we might actually make it (over the course of each evening, I think we are a good deal more than 10, but not at once so far).
Seeing all people who are online? Geez, I could use that for the StarCraft group - my friend list does not fit anymore. Too bad StarCraft doesn't have this system implemented.

Hmm, otherwise, I don't really care or mind; it does seem to have it's benefits, but it might be difficult to get enough people to create/join it, and I think it may not be worth the hassle.

Also, Orange Zergling expressed his opinion that he wouldn't want a GitP clan, not with all the obligations and intra-clan intrigues he has seen in other clans. Now, while I don't think such a thing could befell our informal and friendly group - aren't we all fellow Playgrounders? :smallwink: - I think it is a perfectly understandable stance to take...

Blood
2007-12-14, 07:31 AM
I don't mean to sound like a stuck-up bastard, but I probably am at the moment: I refuse to join a clan. You guys can make one if you like, and I'll still hang out with you all, but I refuse to join. Too many bad experiences, and too many people convincing me - "Oh, this clan won't be like that."

Yeah, right. :smallannoyed:

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 08:11 AM
Care to elaborate? What did happen in these clans you speak of? 'cause I kinda fail to see how some additional functions to see who is online would change anything about the group dynamics/the group's purpose/whatever.

Emperor Ing
2007-12-14, 08:21 AM
Let me guess, the clan shaman destroyed the clan by removing every non-shaman and cheiftain member from it?
That was how DSGI was destroyed. Damn i miss that clan. :smallfrown:

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 08:28 AM
My own assumption is something like people first insisting they don't care about play skill and there is no obligation to play ladder games (or to win them, anyway), and later on bullying the weaker players nevertheless.
Which quite obviously wouldn't matter for a hypothetical GitP clan, considering that we do not play ladder games as a group, and most(?) of us do not even play regular games to any significant amounts or at all.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-14, 11:13 AM
we could make all members shamans

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-14, 11:44 AM
Isn't there a maximum of 5 Shamans per clan?

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 12:02 PM
Isn't there a maximum of 5 Shamans per clan?I seem to recall something like that, too... *checking on battle.net* Yes, indeed, it says so here (http://www.battle.net/war3/ladder/war3-ladder-info-clans.aspx).

Anyway, Orange Zergling, now that you are here... could you tell me what these horror stories are you and Blood are afraid of seeing repeated if we created a GitP clan? Because I can hardly imagine what problems could befell a group like ours - frankly, I would not even consider it a clan, just activating some additional BattleNet functions which make it easier to see who is online, no more.

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-14, 12:25 PM
Well, for starters, people from other clans 'infiltrating' yours and gaining trust and Shaman rank over time, then disbanding pretty much the entire clan.

Not to mention the little "lol, u suck" fights between clan Chieftains.

...and the Shaman's letting the power go to their heads and booting everybody who so much as doesn't lick their boots.

Then theres the "get back here u sad little sack of [crap]" whispers from members who just want to talk to you, even though you are in a game and they can do so through whispers.

And then the whole superiority issues that having ranks will no doubt bring.

*Hopefully* most if not all of us are mature enough to avoid most of these, but I've lost some people who I thought were good friends because they suddenly turned bastards.

And even if we don't have superiority issues, it looks bad to have 6 people have a "better" rank than the rest. Or even just 1, each clan requires a Chieftain, I believe...

So no, I won't join any clan formed, even if it would be beneficial. Too many bad experiences, too paranoid.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-14, 12:27 PM
well my clan disbanded because the leader quit and the new one who was given the old ones account got pissed and disbanded it. but hey what damage could be done over the internet honestly

Crispy Dave
2007-12-14, 12:28 PM
Well, for starters, people from other clans 'infiltrating' yours and gaining trust and Shaman rank over time, then disbanding pretty much the entire clan.

Not to mention the little "lol, u suck" fights between clan Chieftains.

...and the Shaman's letting the power go to their heads and booting everybody who so much as doesn't lick their boots.

Then theres the "get back here u sad little sack of [crap]" whispers from members who just want to talk to you, even though you are in a game and they can do so through whispers.

And then the whole superiority issues that having ranks will no doubt bring.

*Hopefully* most if not all of us are mature enough to avoid most of these, but I've lost some people who I thought were good friends because they suddenly turned bastards.

And even if we don't have superiority issues, it looks bad to have 6 people have a "better" rank than the rest. Or even just 1, each clan requires a Chieftain, I believe...

So no, I won't join any clan formed, even if it would be beneficial. Too many bad experiences, too paranoid.
you can be shaman

Winterwind
2007-12-14, 12:39 PM
I see. Thanks for explaining.

Well, while I think most of this could not happen to us (for example, this whisper-thing does not happen, even though we are all on each others' friend lists, so why should it start if we formed a clan?), but someone being required to have a higher rank could get pretty unnerving, that's true (I would suggest making some friendly and reasonable person chieftain in that case - such as yourself or LiteYear - but best to avoid it altogether).

Besides, all it would spare us would be to type 'GitP' as channel and '/f l' after logging in; hardly worth the hassle.

Blood
2007-12-14, 03:26 PM
[/anti-clan paranoia]

So I'm logging on now. Maybe we can get a couple games in before I log off from 5-6?

Don't leave while I'm gone. :smallsmile:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-15, 01:24 PM
Some good news:

I found an easy, quick, and generally very painless way to use Hero attributes as damage. So far I've only implemented this for the Scorch, Hailstorm, Constricting Vines, and Judgement spells in my map, but I'll have time to do the rest later.

The maker of Control the Ruins is, in fact, active and working to fix most of the bugs we found in the game, as they've been reported before.

Winterwind
2007-12-15, 02:22 PM
Some good news:

I found an easy, quick, and generally very painless way to use Hero attributes as damage. So far I've only implemented this for the Scorch, Hailstorm, Constricting Vines, and Judgement spells in my map, but I'll have time to do the rest later.Great! :smallsmile:

Now, my two eurocents would be to give each hero a mix of attribute dependant (=growing stronger with time) abilities, and utility abilities which remain useful at all times (such as reincarnation, damage reduction, critical strike, evasion, and so forth). Then it should be both balanced and provide distinctions between the classes which remain relevant throughout the game.

The maker of Control the Ruins is, in fact, active and working to fix most of the bugs we found in the game, as they've been reported before.The problem is that, in my humble opinion, the greatest mistake about this map is the game concept itself - it takes forever for a group to hold the centre sufficiently long, and if a group manages to hold it sufficiently long I think it is going to be more fluke than anything.

Now, what I would have done in his place would be to get rid of the "hold ruins for 5 minutes"-goal entirely, and instead made it so that the creeps of the side controling the ruins get an upgrade every, I dunno, 30 or 60 seconds, or so, and the goal is to overrun the enemy base. This way, the side which manages to control the centre for a sufficiently long time would earn a distinct advantage and, presumably, win, but it would not be so incredibly difficult to achieve victory.
(Of course, I am not sure whether my idea would work either, and maybe his concept works out after all if the players are more experienced with the map, but this is just what comes to me after a short brainstorming :smallwink: )

LiteYear
2007-12-15, 04:17 PM
I don't know... the main problem with the map is that, it didn't matter who or what was there; if a person got to the middle tile, that team immediately gains control. If the control trigger was changed (i.e. say it takes 5 seconds to switch control, and you can't take control if the hill is occupied by an enemy hero), it would be a lot better. (Alternatively, a cumulative timer would also be an option)

Winterwind
2007-12-15, 04:39 PM
Yeah, that too... another way to do this map would have been to have a seperate timer for both teams set to a much longer time than 5 minutes, which runs down when a team controls the ruins and resumes where it was left when a team re-conquers the ruins again, with neither timer running when heroes of both teams are in the centre.

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-18, 03:44 PM
After very unexpected and infuriating problems with damage-over-time attribute based spells, I managed to find a solution, and am now working to find a way to implement the same system for healing (which isn't as simple as just using a negative number), and damage/hit points of summoned units. There's also a new hero, the Necromancer.

Winterwind
2007-12-20, 02:10 PM
Keep rockin', Orange Zergling. I'm eager to see the map finished. :smallsmile:
I hope that resurrection bug is gone now, too? :smallwink:

This said, reminder, tomorrow's our session again.

I'm afraid I will most likely not make it - I'm going back to my parents tomorrow to stay with them over Christmas, and my computer there is not powerful enough to run WarCraft (my laptop would be, but for some reason it keeps crashing whenever I try to run WarCraft on it). Have fun without me, all of ya. :smallsmile:

Crispy Dave
2007-12-20, 03:07 PM
ill prbly make it for once

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-21, 03:47 PM
Crispy, tannish and I are in the channel right now, so if you're still waiting to come, you don't have to.

EDIT: Or, rather, you don't have to wait. You can just come in.

Crispy Dave
2007-12-21, 03:48 PM
Crispy, tannish and I are in the channel right now, so if you're still waiting to come, you don't have to.

EDIT: Or, rather, you don't have to wait. You can just come in.

shee its a secret i dont want tannish to know im here

Istari
2007-12-24, 11:22 AM
So Zerg what map are you making right now?

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-24, 02:37 PM
It's a castle defense/hero siege map. Essentially, everybody picks a hero, then attempts to defend the castle at the bottom of the map against 'waves' (they're actually more like bursts) of enemies, who get upgrades over time (+50hp and +5 damage every... 4 minutes, I think). You win by destroying the enemy's 'castle' at the top, then the boss that follows. The main catch is that you don't level up, but instead you improve through items and tomes. Abilities are (now, anyway) based on attributes, so the more Strength you have, the more damage your Shield Bash will do, for example. But, because of my nubishness with WorldEdit, I had to sacrifice a bunch of abilities such as Blizzard to make single-target spells... but hopefully I'll be able to remedy that as time goes on.

Winterwind
2007-12-24, 03:30 PM
Just using a short break in our Christmas Eve festivities to come here - I want to wish a very merry Christmas to all of you, those who I play regularly with, those who attended just a few times, and those who were not able to attend so far. May you all be spending a time just as happy as I do with your loved ones, and only the best wishes to you. :smallsmile:

Winterwind
2007-12-27, 11:53 AM
Weekly reminder, tomorrow's our next session again.

I will almost certainly not be able to come, once again - the time between Christmas and New Year is roleplaying time for me :smallbiggrin: - but I wish you all lots of fun. :smallsmile:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-29, 12:33 AM
I think I isolated the rez-problem to the Inquisitor, mainly his reincarnation skill, so I removed that and gave him divine shield instead. If I can figure out how to fix that I'll probably replace it.

Water Wars was... uh... interesting... at least I now know what the utterly broken spells are. <.<

DarkLightDragon
2007-12-29, 03:15 AM
You've all probably noticed that I haven't played any sessions. If someone could remind me what server everyone plays on, I'll try making it to the next one.

Winterwind
2007-12-29, 05:42 AM
I think I isolated the rez-problem to the Inquisitor, mainly his reincarnation skill, so I removed that and gave him divine shield instead. If I can figure out how to fix that I'll probably replace it.Yay! :smallsmile:

Water Wars was... uh... interesting... at least I now know what the utterly broken spells are. <.<Ah, did tannish drag you into this one? :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, he sure likes to play on maps he has mastered utterly, when nobody else has ever heard of it. :smalltongue:

Looked pretty interesting to me, though, when he showed it to me some time ago.
Unless I'm completely mixing maps up now.

You've all probably noticed that I haven't played any sessions. If someone could remind me what server everyone plays on, I'll try making it to the next one.We play on the Azeroth (=USEast) server and meet in the channel GitP. You can find all organisational stuff, like when and where we play, on the first page in the second post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3248597&postcount=2) of this thread, and a much shorter version of it in my sig. The post also contains our BattleNet names, so you could use that to find us easier.
Welcome amongst the active players! :smallbiggrin:

The Orange Zergling
2007-12-29, 01:17 PM
Ah, did tannish drag you into this one? :smallbiggrin:
Yeah, he sure likes to play on maps he has mastered utterly, when nobody else has ever heard of it. :smalltongue:

Looked pretty interesting to me, though, when he showed it to me some time ago.
Unless I'm completely mixing maps up now.

Hey, I've heard of it, when I started playing online in late '05, I downloaded it and tried to play it but the host disconnected during the loading screen... :smalltongue:

Greenpepa
2007-12-30, 06:22 PM
I play WC3, mostly custom games though (I can host). I'll have to try to play with you guys one of these fridays. (I play as Aeroth99 on USEAST)

Winterwind
2007-12-30, 06:23 PM
We play hardly anything else but custom games ourselves, so that's perfectly fine. Welcome to the group. :smallsmile:

Greenpepa
2007-12-30, 07:02 PM
Just a couple of questions...
How long do you usually play for? (I see you start at 4)
What custom games do you usually play? (My most popular have to be Rabbits vs Sheep, Risk Devo, and WMW, but I've played a bit of almost everything.)

Winterwind
2007-12-30, 07:26 PM
Just a couple of questions...
How long do you usually play for? (I see you start at 4)It varies, but usually the last people leave something about nine or ten hours later (the record session was, if I'm not mistaken, something about 14 hours). The sessions are much extended by the fact that not everyone is playing all the time - some people join in only much later, after the first ones have already left, and by constant rotation, we manage to get sessions as long as the above.

What custom games do you usually play? (My most popular have to be Rabbits vs Sheep, Risk Devo, and WMW, but I've played a bit of almost everything.)Rabbits vs. Sheep is one of our favourites as well. I'm not familiar with Risk Devo (though I admit I'm one of the least custom map-savvy people around), and the abbreviation WMW doesn't say me anything either.
We try something new every week, but a few maps which tend to come up rather frequently, besides RvS, include: Mad Balls Arena, Tropical Tag, Run Kitty Run, SpellCraft... which standard maps have I forgotten, folks?

Greenpepa
2007-12-30, 08:19 PM
WMW stands for Wintermaul Wars, it is a tower defense game where two teams compete by sending creeps at the other team t break through their defenses. Run Kitty Run is something I play once in a while too. Risk Devo is like the board game risk, only played out in real time. I don't know if I have ever played spellcraft or mad balls arena though.

Winterwind
2007-12-30, 08:51 PM
SpellCraft is a map with several quite different modes; the one we usually played so far is the Strife mode, which consists of three lanes along which friendly and enemy creeps run towards each other, with the player side (all players play together) having wizards who can learn different spells by buying various combinations of items (that's what distinguishes this map from other, similar ones), and the enemy sides creeps getting upgraded over time. The goal is to kill the opponents' base.

Mad Balls Arena is a really fun map which basically amounts to dodge ball - each player controls a peasant who can pick up the various balls lying around in the arena and toss them at the other players. Whoever gets hit by a ball is taken out of the game until the person who killed him/her gets killed him/herself, at which point (s)he is resurrected. The fun part is that the map comes with a complete physics engine - the balls get deflected by walls and jump around in a realistic way. There are also a few special balls with (sometimes very strong) special effects.

Winterwind
2007-12-31, 09:28 PM
Happy New Year, dear fellow WarCraft players! May it bring us even more fun and great games than 2007! :smallsmile:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-01, 01:43 AM
Is anyone here familiar with the Clan KLA on US:East?

Winterwind
2008-01-01, 01:46 AM
Not me, why, what about them?

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-01, 01:49 AM
Oh its the clan Ive been in for the past 3 years, I joined up when it was formed, I was a friend of the chieftain when he was in RotK (Rulers of (the) twelve kingdoms) King Leopold, he's the guy who made War of the Twelve Kingdoms War of the Lost Kingdoms, Broken Alliances and another one (that I can't remember because next to noone plays it, its not that fun, its ok but his other games are better IMO) if you're familiar with any of those games.

Winterwind
2008-01-01, 01:53 AM
A few of these names do seem kinda familiar, though I don't think I've played any of them.

Anyway... would you wish to play with us every now and then, too? I.e., shall I put you onto the list of group members? :smallwink:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-01, 01:55 AM
S'long as I don't have to quit my clan sure, I could make another account if you want me to though.

Winterwind
2008-01-01, 01:57 AM
No, you don't have to; a few of us are in various clans, and we have explicitly decided to not form a clan of our own. All we do is meet for fun every Friday (or spontaneously, sometimes), to play a bit WarCraft (custom maps, mostly).

Welcome to the group, then! :smallsmile:

Lord_Asmodeus
2008-01-01, 01:59 AM
Sweet, I'll hop on WC3:TFT now and add everyone to my /f list.

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-02, 11:04 AM
Hi people,
i just bought a computer capable of running Warcraft III well and I was wondering if I could join up. (Some of you may know me from the Starcraft group.)

My name will be: LeperKahn@Whatever server we play on.

Winterwind
2008-01-02, 11:18 AM
Welcome, Leper Kahn. Nice to have you with us, welcome to the group. :smallsmile:

The server is USEast as well (Azeroth in WarCraft-speak).

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-02, 06:07 PM
Winter and I are on now if anyone wants to join up.

Winterwind
2008-01-02, 07:15 PM
Hey, c'mon, people, don't leave us alone - there are just so many games one can play with just two people! Do you want to force us to commune with public non-Playgrounder riffraff? :smalltongue:

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-02, 09:46 PM
We're still online and desperate for people. *wave*

Winterwind
2008-01-03, 10:46 AM
Here's the weekly reminder - tomorrow is our next session again (and, finally, after a long abstinence, I am able to participate, too! :smallcool: ).

Hope to see ya all!

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-03, 07:30 PM
Hey everyone,
I'm gonna get on now. I won't hang around in the channel though so please just whisper me @
LeperKahn@Azeroth

Silfir
2008-01-04, 08:45 AM
Hey - Can I play too? And did I get this right - 4 PM (GMT-5) is 10 PM (GMT+1)?

I think I could get my friend to play too; we play Warcraft III against each other regularly. He doesn't know Order of the Stick, though. (Come to think of it, I just might remedy this today...)

I didn't read through the entire thread, but I guess we're going to play TFT?

Nevermind, I have rediscovered my eyesight :)

Winterwind
2008-01-04, 11:40 AM
Hey - Can I play too?Sure, this is for everybody. :smallsmile:

And did I get this right - 4 PM (GMT-5) is 10 PM (GMT+1)?That's right (strange, I thought I had put a list with what this time corresponds to in the various time zones into the first post, but apparently not. Mistake corrected now).
Ooooh, Esslingen. Endlich mal ein weiterer Baden-Württemberger hier. :smallbiggrin:

I think I could get my friend to play too;The more the merrier.

we play Warcraft III against each other regularly.So far, the group has been focussing rather on custom games, but I wouldn't mind playing a few regular games as well, too.

He doesn't know Order of the Stick, though. (Come to think of it, I just might remedy this today...)Good idea.

Nevermind, I have rediscovered my eyesight :):smallcool:

Silfir
2008-01-04, 01:06 PM
Also, just for the record, I managed to get the Silfir username on Azeroth.

Blood
2008-01-04, 03:28 PM
Look like I won't be able to make today's meet, again, this time thanks to an impromptu family visit... I'll be leaving in a few hours and I won't be back until late afternoon on Sunday.

Winterwind
2008-01-04, 03:34 PM
Also, just for the record, I managed to get the Silfir username on Azeroth.Alright, got it. List entry completed. :smallsmile:

Look like I won't be able to make today's meet, again, this time thanks to an impromptu family visit... I'll be leaving in a few hours and I won't be back until late afternoon on Sunday.Too bad, Moozy. :smallfrown:
Well, have fun with family! :smallsmile:

Silfir
2008-01-07, 05:35 PM
I think I reconfigured my firewall right to allow me to host games now... Is anyone up for a quick game to test it?

Leper_Kahn
2008-01-07, 11:02 PM
Anyone want to play anything now? I'll be online in the channel: gitp
(Note: We might be playing starcraft or D2...)