PDA

View Full Version : Shadow blade build

Rallek25
2019-02-05, 05:00 PM
Hello everyone,
So, for a while now I've been trying to come up with a build that uses shadow blade as the staple to the character. I've finally come up with a build and wanted to share it with you guys and see what your thoughts are and getting feedback on how to better improve this build. Keep in mind this build is for a possible character in AL, so must follow those rules. The build I came up with though is a sorcerer/paladin. Now you can use AT or EK paired with Sorcerer, but I wanted to focus on paladin in this build. Also, I wanted to throw some extra flavor into this build and use the natural armor provided by draconic sorcerer. The build I made is for lvl 10 to show borderline tier 2/3 ability. Here is the build at base lvl 1. This is a Red Dragon Ancestor Draconic Sorcerer.

Race: Variant Human
Feat: War Caster
Stats:
Str- 13
Dex- 15 +1 = 16
Con- 12
Int- 8
Wis-8
Cha- 15 +1 =16

Lvl 10 ( Conquest Paladin 6/ Draconic Sorcerer 4)
Stats
Str- 13
Dex- 20
Con- 12
Int- 8
Wis- 8
Cha- 16

This character won't wear armor and will rely on the natural armor of DS which is 13+DEX= 18 + 2 (shield)= 20.
AC: 20
FS: Dueling

At this level you are considered a lvl 7 caster. Which in terms of spell slots is 4, 3, 3, 1.
Metamagic: Quicken and Empower (due to low DC, want to max damage in case or saves)
In terms of spell for Sorcerer it would be:
Shield, Absorb Elements, Shadow Blade, Aganazzar's scorcher, & Burning hands.
I feel as though Aganazzar's Scorcher & Burning Hands could be swapped out for something else such as false life or misty step, etc..
With conquest paladin you gain access to
Armor of agathys and Spiritual weapon.

I did some math and found some interesting results when it comes to damage at this level.

1st Round
Bonus Action, Shadow Blade 3rd level (3d8)
Action, 2 attacks = 6d8+14
2nd Round
Bonus Action, Spiritual Weapin 3rd level (2d8)
SW = 2d8 + 3
Action, 2 attacks = 6d8+14
Essentially making it from second round and on that if you hit you are consistently doing 8d8+17 damage and that is without smiting or using absorb elements.
All in all this is the base of my build. I know it sucks in the sense that you have low HP and Wisdom saves aren't great, but at least with AOP it turns it into a +2. Figure the spells that grant temp HP would help negate some of the HP that was given up to make this build possible. It's not a perfect build but it seems viable and a fun character to play. So, let me know what you think and if you have any input I'd greatly appreciate it.
Thank you for taking the time out to read this and help me.

Spiritchaser
2019-02-05, 05:34 PM
Obviously low CON is obviously low as you have mentioned. That’s tough to fix... unless it isn’t...

Conquest paladin is great, but I think vengence or devotion might be a better natural fit if you’re only going to 6, and with your low CHA, the real strength on conquest is somewhat wasted.

If you start sorcerer you’ll have con saves. If you run shadow blade you can drop your weapon at will. If you have 16 CHA, your spell hit or opponent saves will not be ideal.

What if... you went half elf and put off war caster? You can fit Con 14, You may even eventually have room for Elven Accuracy which, on a vengeance sorcadin with shadow blade means you’ll be rolling three dice any time it’s dark (they make two cantrips that help with that) and if it’s bright? Well if it’s important use that bow of enmity.

Any Dex sorcadin is a tight build and this more than many, but if you can arrange to be rolling 3 dice when it matters and laying down smites when you crit

Ouch!

RogueJK
2019-02-05, 05:54 PM
Bonus Action, Spiritual Weapin 3rd level (2d8)

Keep in mind that Spiritual Weapon adds +1d8 for every TWO slot levels above 2nd. So you'd have to burn your lone 4th level spell slot to get it up to 2d8. A 3rd Level Spiritual Weapon only does 1d8, just like a 2nd Level Spiritual Weapon.

Up to 8d8+17 per round is pretty tasty, with the obvious limiting factor being that you could only do it one combat per day. But you could still do lesser versions up to three more times per day.

With 4/3/3/1, plus burning 3 spell points to get back a 2nd level slot, you could do each day:

1x 3rd Level Shadow Blade and 4th Level Spiritual Weapon = 8d8+17

2x 3rd Level Shadow Blade and 2nd level Spiritual Weapon = 7d8+17

1x 2nd Level Shadow Blade and 2nd Level Spiritual Weapon = 5d8+17

Also keep in mind that these full damages are only if all three attacks hit, which they won't always.

Shuruke
2019-02-05, 06:16 PM
Level 10 whispers bard using magical secrets on shadow blade

Level 3 assassin
Level 4 whispers
Level 3 sorcerer twin and quicken

2d6 sneak
2d6 whisper inspiration
Booming blade 1d8

7th level caster

Shadow blade 3d8+dex+4d6 psychic damage 1d8 booming blade

3d8+dex+1d8 to another target using twinned booming blade
3d8+1d8+dex using quicken

Break down first level slots and maybe one 2nd so you can keep spamming

One turn
One enemy 8d8+4d6+mod
Second enemy 4d8+mod

Surprise round bonus action to summon blade and one cast booming blade with sneak attack and whisper dice
8d8+8d6+mod

Pros
Dex and con high stats
Have cha as third highest once you get 5th bard only having a 16 for cha will be ok cuz short rest inspiration.

Can use feat for Asi and with 2 levels can get 2 more ASI

Jack of all trades high Intiative

Expertise everywhere

Cons
Don't have very high level spells
Squishy
Reliant on nearby allies for sneak attack and are unsafe and stuck melee unless u don't quicken

My favorite part is the occasional 16 dice assassinate proc (8d6 +8d8) 64 average plus mod.

Spiritchaser
2019-02-05, 06:42 PM
Unfortunately with booming blade from the SCAG and shadow blade from Xanathar’s, you cannot have both in an ALlegal build.

Max_Killjoy
2019-02-05, 07:49 PM
Unfortunately with booming blade from the SCAG and shadow blade from Xanathar’s, you cannot have both in an ALlegal build.

How limiting is that at most tables?

Vogie
2019-02-05, 09:28 PM
It isn't... except for the OP literally calls it out:

Keep in mind this build is for a possible character in AL, so must follow those rules.

Ideally, they'd've gone bladesinger so they wouldn't've had to dip a martial class for the second attack ability... but that falls into the SCAG/XGTE.

If they're at a kitchen table, they can go nuts.
"Hey DM can I Twin Shadow Blade and just have one in each hand?"
"You know what? Sure. Why not?"

Spiritchaser
2019-02-05, 10:37 PM

For what it’s worth, I certainly don’t use the phb+1 rule, at my table and neither does my DM at his... but this is what the OP is calling for.

Which is too bad, because a draconic sorcadin quickening green flame blade for cantrip damage plus 3 attacks with a 4 dice shadow blade is pretty impressive, especially if you found room for elven accuracy.

Max_Killjoy
2019-02-05, 10:43 PM
I missed that part of the OP.

RSP
2019-02-05, 11:01 PM
Main points to critique the OP’s build:

Doesn’t have great staying power if casting both SB and SW for combats: you’ll burn through slots very quickly. This also makes the build less a SB Build and more a SB and SW Build, but that’s not really important.

It also kind of wastes a lot of the Paladin’s abilities as any smiting will further deplete your ability to cast SB and with lower HPs, you’ll definitely need to keep slots for Shield as well. Not maxing Cha makes the Aura less helpful and with that lower Con are you going to maintain Conc? The Aura still helps but you’ll want to go Sorc 1 for the Con Saves. You’re wasting a 13 in Str for the multi and not using your armor proficiencies.

Honestly, this seems like it would work much better as a Warlock which can duplicate the Dragon Sorc’s AC with Armor of Shadows (Mage Armor), and have 2 slots per SR with which to SB. PoB can still get you multi attack. Hexblade is okay w SB but you can’t use the Cha to attack with it, though it does get you shield proficiency.

Could still go Sorc if you want, which will fill in some lower slots of 1st and 2nd if keeping the 6/4 split: 4 1st, 3, 2nd and 2 3rds that recoup on a SR. Sword Bard would work a bit better, in my opinion, as it gets flourishes, Expertise, and JoATs, as well as the slots.

So my main critique, I guess, is if going for a SB Build that doesn’t wear armor, Pally and Sorc are probably not the most efficient path, but I’m sure you’ll still have fun with it.

Finney
2019-02-05, 11:41 PM
It isn't... except for the OP literally calls it out:

Ideally, they'd've gone bladesinger so they wouldn't've had to dip a martial class for the second attack ability... but that falls into the SCAG/XGTE.

It's possible for an AL bladesinger to add shadow blade to their spellbook. You can copy spells even if those spells aren’t normally found in your character’s PHB+1.

You would either need to copy shadow blade from another PC wizard that has the spell in their spellbook or copy it from a scroll.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-05, 11:45 PM
It's possible for an AL bladesinger to add shadow blade to their spellbook. You can copy spells even if those spells aren’t normally found in your character’s PHB+1.

You would either need to copy shadow blade from another PC wizard that has the spell in their spellbook or copy it from a scroll.

That is a truly stupid rule.

One of the many reasons I will never play al.

Zene
2019-02-06, 12:59 AM
I realize you’ve chosen Paladin. But I just wanted to suggest you take a second look at Eldritch Knight. They are the kings of shadowblade. No one else even comes close. They get Shadowblade earlier than Paladin MCs, and hit more times with it. Once they get three attacks, they just MC into a full caster class to start upcasting it like crazy. Better damage output overall, and a smoother curve while leveling. And less worries about losing concentration.

EK 11 / Sorcerer X is the way to do it, IMO.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 01:03 AM
My b never played AL thought was phb+2

Rallek25
2019-02-06, 01:31 AM
Main points to critique the OP’s build:

Doesn’t have great staying power if casting both SB and SW for combats: you’ll burn through slots very quickly. This also makes the build less a SB Build and more a SB and SW Build, but that’s not really important.

It also kind of wastes a lot of the Paladin’s abilities as any smiting will further deplete your ability to cast SB and with lower HPs, you’ll definitely need to keep slots for Shield as well. Not maxing Cha makes the Aura less helpful and with that lower Con are you going to maintain Conc? The Aura still helps but you’ll want to go Sorc 1 for the Con Saves. You’re wasting a 13 in Str for the multi and not using your armor proficiencies.

Honestly, this seems like it would work much better as a Warlock which can duplicate the Dragon Sorc’s AC with Armor of Shadows (Mage Armor), and have 2 slots per SR with which to SB. PoB can still get you multi attack. Hexblade is okay w SB but you can’t use the Cha to attack with it, though it does get you shield proficiency.

Could still go Sorc if you want, which will fill in some lower slots of 1st and 2nd if keeping the 6/4 split: 4 1st, 3, 2nd and 2 3rds that recoup on a SR. Sword Bard would work a bit better, in my opinion, as it gets flourishes, Expertise, and JoATs, as well as the slots.

So my main critique, I guess, is if going for a SB Build that doesn’t wear armor, Pally and Sorc are probably not the most efficient path, but I’m sure you’ll still have fun with it.

I completely understand what you're saying. If I use the SB and SW then it's no longer a SB, but a combo build. On top of that, I realized after you pointed out that I will be consuming spell slots constantly which will be a problem. Upcasting and trying to divine smite will lead to 0 spell slots in a hurry. If anything I should get rid of trying to use the natural armor and make it a str build as to be more efficient. All in all there are some definite things to be considered that will better this character and perhaps make it more fun.
Thank you for your input

Rallek25
2019-02-06, 01:39 AM
I realize you’ve chosen Paladin. But I just wanted to suggest you take a second look at Eldritch Knight. They are the kings of shadowblade. No one else even comes close. They get Shadowblade earlier than Paladin MCs, and hit more times with it. Once they get three attacks, they just MC into a full caster class to start upcasting it like crazy. Better damage output overall, and a smoother curve while leveling. And less worries about losing concentration.

EK 11 / Sorcerer X is the way to do it, IMO.

Oh I totally agree with you. I will be trying to build an EK shadow blade user as well. I just wanted to focus on Sorcadin for now. The neat thing I noticed with SB is that it plays different depending on classes. With Sorcadin I'm able to combo it with SW to do some nice damage and even smite. With EK as you pointed out theres the number of extra attacks and action surge. If I build it around AT then it becomes about pairing SB with Sneak Attack. If I didn't have to worry about AL rules then theres Bladesinger. There's so many different ways that SB can be utilized depending on the class which is why I love it and want to build so many characters around this 1 particular spell. I mean it does 2d8 which is the equivalent to attacking twice minus damage modifiers. But yes, thank you for pointing that out. I will be looking into a build like that as well.