PDA

View Full Version : Ways to fix my one handed wizard

DaBonBon
2019-02-05, 06:49 PM
We use all official books, Forgotten realms setting (some classess and feats from other settings are acceptable too), and im pretty new to DND.
My char is wizard 5 lvl (enough exp to get to 7 i was just waiting for oppurtinity to get PC), lawful evil kinda necromancer but not a good one.

So i lost my hand as a wizard(no, it can not be restored even with miracle/wish), my GM decided on spells needing 20+2x spell level DC check Sleight Of Hand. As my dex is 12, and its not a skill i've ever used before atm i have about 5% chance to cast a spell which is pretty harrash. . He told me that i can use Deft Hands feat to lower DC to 15+ 2xspell level. Also i might get sleigh of hand training to make it class skill.

Now knowing that are there ANY tips any of you can help me with dealing with it? I of course know i can get items for it, but which ones are most efficient? is taking Deft Hands (thats virtually a +7 for that DC) worth it? I know theres some spells that dont need semantic component but those are rare or require a metamagic feats.

Crake
2019-02-05, 06:54 PM
We use all official books, Forgotten realms setting (some classess and feats from other settings are acceptable too), and im pretty new to DND.
My char is wizard 5 lvl (enough exp to get to 7 i was just waiting for oppurtinity to get PC), lawful evil kinda necromancer but not a good one.

So i lost my hand as a wizard(no, it can not be restored even with miracle/wish), my GM decided on spells needing 20+2x spell level DC check Sleight Of Hand. As my dex is 12, and its not a skill i've ever used before atm i have about 5% chance to cast a spell which is pretty harrash. . He told me that i can use Deft Hands feat to lower DC to 15+ 2xspell level. Also i might get sleigh of hand training to make it class skill.

Now knowing that are there ANY tips any of you can help me with dealing with it? I of course know i can get items for it, but which ones are most efficient? is taking Deft Hands (thats virtually a +7 for that DC) worth it? I know theres some spells that dont need semantic component but those are rare or require a metamagic feats.

Spells can be cast with only one hand, this rule is unnecessary. Somatic components only require a single hand free:

Somatic (S)

A somatic component is a measured and precise movement of the hand. You must have at least one hand free to provide a somatic component.

So whether your other hand is missing, preoccupied with holding a sword, or holding onto a cliff face while climbing, your casting hand has no restrictions on it unless there's something wrong with that hand itself.

I'm sure if you explain this to your DM, he'll waive the rule entirely, it sounds like he wasn't aware that spellcasting only required one hand.

frogglesmash
2019-02-05, 06:55 PM
Couldn't you get a new hand grafted on? You could even choose one of the undead grafts out of Fiend Folio or Libris Mortis to keep things thematic.

Rynjin
2019-02-05, 06:57 PM
Tell your GM to stop making houserules, since you only need a single free hand to cast spells. Ergo, you only make somatic components with one hand, so only having one hand doesn't affect spellcatsing.

Having one hand is a detriment since you can't hold things in your hand and cast spells at the same time, with a few exceptions (I believe Staves and Rods can be used to fulfill somatic components? But I may be wrong), but other than that your GM has double houserule screwed you (not even Miracle or Wish can restore it? Sounds like some BS, but you'd be stuck with this for another 8-10 levels anyway so it's not a huge deal), and you should ask him to reconsider.

Edit: Double Ninja'd.

Crake
2019-02-05, 07:00 PM
Tell your GM to stop making houserules, since you only need a single free hand to cast spells. Ergo, you only make somatic components with one hand, so only having one hand doesn't affect spellcatsing.

Having one hand is a detriment since you can't hold things in your hand and cast spells at the same time, with a few exceptions (I believe Staves and Rods can be used to fulfill somatic components? But I may be wrong), but other than that your GM has double houserule screwed you (not even Miracle or Wish can restore it? Sounds like some BS, but you'd be stuck with this for another 8-10 levels anyway so it's not a huge deal), and you should ask him to reconsider.

Edit: Double Ninja'd.

I don't recall any rule that allows staves and rods to be used for somatic components by default, but there is a feat called somatic weaponry that allows you to use weapons, and other similar objects (like wands, rods and staves) to be used to supply somatic components using that hand.

tyckspoon
2019-02-05, 07:00 PM
To answer what I think the DM's objection/thought process is: I believe somewhere there is an explicit statement that material components and somatic components can be handled with the same hand, and thus you do in fact only need one functional free hand to perform spellcasting.

..unfortunately I can't recall where it is well enough to search it up for reference :smallannoyed:

Mildly Inept
2019-02-05, 07:01 PM
If you need fluff to back you up as well as RAW, you could point out that Vecna fellow is pretty good at wizarding, all things considered.

Crake
2019-02-05, 07:03 PM
To answer what I think the DM's objection/thought process is: I believe somewhere there is an explicit statement that material components and somatic components can be handled with the same hand, and thus you do in fact only need one functional free hand to perform spellcasting.

..unfortunately I can't recall where it is well enough to search it up for reference :smallannoyed:

I also recall that same rule, but I can't find it on the SRD

Edit: It's apparently made quite clear for 5e, so maybe it's a 5e rule that I just assumed was part of 3.5?

ApologyFestival
2019-02-05, 07:06 PM
That sounds like a really cool and fun thing to do to a fairly new player. Sheesh.

I honestly wouldn't engage with the DM's mad decision to require a DC 20+ skill check in a skill you do not have as a class skill or otherwise have any reason to invest in. If wish or miracle will not work, perhaps regenerate will work. If not, why not?

Getting another hand through magic would be the next best option. Finding a way to reliably polymorph into any humanoid, such as through alter self, would be the bargain basement way to get a hand. Another alternative is grafts--I don't know anything about them myself, but another poster might be able to help you. Some of them require hacking off and replacing that limb, but that shouldn't be a problem.

frogglesmash
2019-02-05, 07:07 PM

If that's the logic being used, you could take eschew materials to deal with the problem.

tyckspoon
2019-02-05, 07:09 PM
If that's the logic being used, you could take eschew materials to deal with the problem.

That would be the easiest route if the DM insists there has to be some difficulty related to this, yeah. Covers like 80% of spells, although some of the remaining ones with non-Eschewable materials are quite nice and would be a pain to sacrifice for the DM's incorrect rulings.

ExLibrisMortis
2019-02-05, 07:12 PM
(1) Sleight of Hand is for magic tricks (the nonmagical kind) and sneaky stuff. It's got nothing to do with doing anything one-handed.
(2) By the rules, you need at least one hand free to provide a somatic component (PHB 174). Since you have one hand, you can provide somatic components.
(3) Your DM is being stupid.
(4) My recommendation is that you change form into yourself as you were before you lost the hand. Alter self lasts 10 minutes/level, and you can Extend it, which should get you 140 minutes of two-handedness at level 7. A wand of alter self costs 4500 gp, and you don't need to provide somatic components to cast from a wand (DMG page 213). As a bonus, girallon's blessing is a third-level spell, and it grants you an extra pair of arms for 10 minutes/level.

If you take your 6th and 7th level in Incantatrix, you'll be able to use Persistent Spell on alter self from level 8 onwards. That should take care of your problems for good.

DrMotives
2019-02-05, 07:16 PM
Forgotten Realms is on the table? Ok, that's the setting that has the crawling claw, a severed hand that wizards animate because they're bored. See if you can have one as a familiar.

Crake
2019-02-05, 07:19 PM
That sounds like a really cool and fun thing to do to a fairly new player. Sheesh.

(3) Your DM is being stupid.

Has it occured to you guys that maybe the DM is just as new as the player, and might not have been aware that somatic components only require a single hand? Additionally, as a new DM, and likely a new player, he has no real concept of how to set DCs properly, so didn't realise how horribly harsh he was being? Relax and give people the benefit of the doubt, I'm sure that if the player explains to their DM that there is in fact many citations that you only need one hand to cast, they will drop the rule.

Now, if they don't, then that's a red flag to me.

Zanos
2019-02-05, 09:06 PM
I mean, the DM removed his hand with an effect that it cant even be restored with miracle or wish at level 5, then ruled he needs a minimum of a dc 22 skill check on a cross class skill he has a +1 modifier in, making it literally impossible. Then he said he might give OP it as a class skill, nevermind that 22 is a super high dc in general for a mundane task.

He's being really nice though by saying OP can spend a feat to drop the DC by 5. If he does that and puts ranks in, he might actually succeed in casting his spells half the time!

So I don't think the DM being out to get OP is an unreasonable jump of logic.

Crake
2019-02-05, 09:09 PM
I mean, the DM removed his hand with an effect that it cant even be restored with miracle or wish at level 5, then ruled he needs a minimum of a dc 22 skill check on a cross class skill he has a +1 modifier in, making it literally impossible. Then he said he might give OP it as a class skill, nevermind that 22 is a super high dc in general for a mundane task.

So I don't think the DM being out to get OP is an unreasonable jump.

How do you know the DM removed his hand? It might have been part of his backstory that the player voluntarily chose to include? I'll be honest, that was my first assumption.

Zanos
2019-02-05, 09:15 PM
How do you know the DM removed his hand? It might have been part of his backstory that the player voluntarily chose to include? I'll be honest, that was my first assumption.
"I lost my hand as a wizard" seems like the language you would use for losing it during play. Most players also wouldn't specify that the hand was eaten by some kind of irreversible magical effect. OP also mentioned the character might get sleight of hand training, which shouldn't be necessary to do in game if it's backstory; the character would already be accustomed.

It's possible that I'm wrong. If it's chargen and your DM considers those rules reasonable I'd suggest op just play a fully handy wizard.

Crake
2019-02-05, 09:26 PM
"I lost my hand as a wizard" seems like the language you would use for losing it during play. Most players also wouldn't specify that the hand was eaten by some kind of irreversible magical effect. OP also mentioned the character might get sleight of hand training, which shouldn't be necessary to do in game if it's backstory; the character would already be accustomed.

It's possible that I'm wrong. If it's chargen and your DM considers those rules reasonable I'd suggest op just play a fully handy wizard.

I have a personal policy to try and not assume malice, and give people the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.

I don't always adhere to this policy.

DaBonBon
2019-02-06, 01:44 PM
Okay, my GM isnt exacly new, but he didnt DM 3.5 in a while and he forgot how rule works.
We also have leading theme of body parts being currency(just happens) for power- everything is virtually high risk high reward. I randomed(with dice) the price of knowledge i got from kinda secret place we've found. I actually got really cool ability in exchange on top of knowing the answer to my question.

So he gave me the option to keep the DC requirement in exchange of being able to use 2 rings(i have 1 cursed on me, and its too strong curse to be removed with remove curse). I dont think thats a good trade, but i really like the flavor of being one handed wizard whos actually proficient with it, and i bet DM would give me some bonuses vs counterspelling (ie minuses for opponents spellcraft) and other stuff cuz hes rarely purely f**king us like that.

I considered craft(or levels in pale master for skeletal arm) but my DM wouldnt tell me if they work, and also I DO wanted to make this one handed crap to work.

Familiar is out of the question cause i have actually intelect devourer in my head (thats looong story) whom i kind of have as familiar but i have to barter for help with him every time and feed him fresh sapient brains that i have to consume (diresinger also stole my soul but since i was nice to him he turned me into necropolitan, so i guess im brain eating undead with red hair, no soul and german surname).

Polimorph was one thing i considered, but that's again just another way to give myself a hand, and im not even sure if it would work, cause apparently the power that caused the loss of an arm is REALLY powerful.

Material components arent part of the issue ;D

So right know i want to know if theres ANY kind of possible way to make my spells dont fail on rolls below ~5. Im rich(for my level) cuz i happened to accidently rob Drow Queen. I have 2 "spare levels" and can get Sleigh of hand training (hopefully with some points into it on top of just having it cost less skill points).

I in a werid way enjoy being penalized by losing a hand ( i feel like thats pretty limiting condition), and would enjoy making it work even more, maybe make my character being recognized as a unique one handed mage- just not in case if that'd make character unplayable or useless.

Deadline
2019-02-06, 02:06 PM
So right know i want to know if theres ANY kind of possible way to make my spells dont fail on rolls below ~5. Im rich(for my level) cuz i happened to accidently rob Drow Queen. I have 2 "spare levels" and can get Sleigh of hand training (hopefully with some points into it on top of just having it cost less skill points).

I in a werid way enjoy being penalized by losing a hand ( i feel like thats pretty limiting condition), and would enjoy making it work even more, maybe make my character being recognized as a unique one handed mage- just not in case if that'd make character unplayable or useless.

So if you're asking for a way to avoid the penalty, others have already pointed out that there is no penalty, as per the rules. If you are considering keeping the penalty so you can wear two rings, there is a feat for that, as well as a magic item (hand of glory I think?). Beyond that, there are ways of getting skills as class skills that don't cost a level, and then the usual skill optimization that can be done with any given skill. Given the flat DC's based on spell level, you'll eventually get enough skill to auto-succeed with enough optimization, so the penalty wouldn't matter anyway.

As some alternatives to playing a wizard with this issue, consider a "Karsite Sorcerer" build, or reserve feats, or ... play a Truenamer, which has the "penalty" mechanic as a core feature of the class.

Edit - It was also mentioned that Vecna beat you to the punch of being a famous one-handed wizard. Also, I could swear there's at least one more in the various settings, but I may be thinking of some famous one-handed hero of another class.

Piggy Knowles
2019-02-06, 02:16 PM
Still Spell should eliminate the need for somatic components entirely, so no need to muck about with fancy sleight of hand checks. +1 spell level on everything is definitely a big drawback, but it sounds like your DM wants to make sure there are some major consequences for what was supposed to be a major sacrifice, and I doubt that’s something he’ll let you ruleslawyer your way out of no matter how much the rules actually back you in this case.

daremetoidareyo
2019-02-06, 03:17 PM
Dismiss your familiar and get a huitzel. You can use it's skill ranks and you get a plus 3 bonus. It is in either races of the dragon or Dragon magic I forget which one

Telonius
2019-02-06, 04:21 PM
Let's see, ways to bump up sleight of hand specifically on an existing Wizard (i.e. no "Level one only" stuff)...

Obviously anything that increases your Dex will also increase your Sleight of Hand check.
5 ranks of Bluff gives +2 synergy.
Shape Soulmeld feat (Magic of Incarnum) for Theft Gloves gives a +2 Insight bonus to Sleight of Hands, plus an additional +2 for every essentia you invest.
Gloves of Manual Prowess (Magic Item Compendium): Item with 3 charges/day that gives you a Competence bonus to Sleight (and a few other skills).
Third Eye Surge (Also MiC) is an item with 3 charges/day that gives an Insight bonus to Str- and Dex-based skill checks, for one round only.

ericgrau
2019-02-07, 01:56 PM
Even 20% spell failure is rather terrible. Both for effectively having 4/5th as many actions and for the possibility of sometimes having bad luck at the worst times.

If you can pump your modifier to succeed on a 3 that might be ok. Or perhaps a 5-7 at low level and decreasing as you level up. Also there's a rule to remember you can find in the skill rules section of the PHB: There is no auto failure on a natural 1 on almost all skill checks. Unless the skill says so, like UMD. You may want to run that by your DM.

It's not the end of the world to play with a disability, especially if he's otherwise a well made wizard. And if that's how you want to have fun. Just as long as you understand that it's a large disability and plan ahead and manage your expectations accordingly.

Thurbane
2019-02-07, 09:56 PM
If you want the use of both hands/arms, the Arm of Nyr (DotF) is a steal at 12,800gp. You may need to lop off the affected arm at the shoulder to use it, and you need to be of good alignment.

You should be able to find one at the Second Hand store. *boom tiss*

Jack_Simth
2019-02-07, 10:59 PM
If you want the use of both hands/arms, the Arm of Nyr (DotF) is a steal at 12,800gp. You may need to lop off the affected arm at the shoulder to use it, and you need to be of good alignment.

You should be able to find one at the Second Hand store. *boom tiss*

Given that DaBonBon's character is feeding fresh brains to an intellect devourer, this would mean that the OP's character would also require many ranks in Use Magic Device to use that item.

Hackulator
2019-02-07, 11:00 PM
Okay, my GM isnt exacly new, but he didnt DM 3.5 in a while and he forgot how rule works.
We also have leading theme of body parts being currency(just happens) for power- everything is virtually high risk high reward. I randomed(with dice) the price of knowledge i got from kinda secret place we've found. I actually got really cool ability in exchange on top of knowing the answer to my question.

So he gave me the option to keep the DC requirement in exchange of being able to use 2 rings(i have 1 cursed on me, and its too strong curse to be removed with remove curse). I dont think thats a good trade, but i really like the flavor of being one handed wizard whos actually proficient with it, and i bet DM would give me some bonuses vs counterspelling (ie minuses for opponents spellcraft) and other stuff cuz hes rarely purely f**king us like that.

I considered craft(or levels in pale master for skeletal arm) but my DM wouldnt tell me if they work, and also I DO wanted to make this one handed crap to work.

Familiar is out of the question cause i have actually intelect devourer in my head (thats looong story) whom i kind of have as familiar but i have to barter for help with him every time and feed him fresh sapient brains that i have to consume (diresinger also stole my soul but since i was nice to him he turned me into necropolitan, so i guess im brain eating undead with red hair, no soul and german surname).

Polimorph was one thing i considered, but that's again just another way to give myself a hand, and im not even sure if it would work, cause apparently the power that caused the loss of an arm is REALLY powerful.

Material components arent part of the issue ;D

I love how everyone in this thread is calling the DM a jerk for homebrewing something negative for the player but now we get the full story and the entire game is clearly insane homebrew weirdness and the player isn't even really mad and people sound like tools.

Thurbane
2019-02-07, 11:30 PM

Given that DaBonBon's character is feeding fresh brains to an intellect devourer, this would mean that the OP's character would also require many ranks in Use Magic Device to use that item.

True. Pays to read the OP fully. :smallredface:

Jack_Simth
2019-02-07, 11:31 PM
True. Pays to read the OP fully. :smallredface:

Oh, the item's still useful. It just has an extra requirement.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-08, 04:25 PM

A humanoid-shaped body can be decked out in magic gear consisting of one item from each of the following groups, keyed to which place on the body the item is worn.
One glove, pair of gloves, or pair of gauntlets on the hands
One ring on each hand (or two rings on one hand)
One pair of boots or shoes on the feet
Emphasis mine.

Just pointing out that the "limited to one ring" thing isn't valid by RAW (EDIT: Unless it's a result of the cursed ring). RAW, your caster with one hand is just as good as a two-handed caster, except that he can't hold a weapon (this can be circumvented by spiked armor, bladed boots, and a half-dozen other hidden blades in Complete Scoundrel).

Hell, you can even get an Animated mithral shield and... what have you really lost? A limb means almost nothing in this world, I realize.

Zanos
2019-02-08, 08:48 PM
I love how everyone in this thread is calling the DM a jerk for homebrewing something negative for the player but now we get the full story and the entire game is clearly insane homebrew weirdness and the player isn't even really mad and people sound like tools.
Take that back. I'm a masterwork tool at the least.

But yeah, I don't know that I can give OP any advice at all because I feel like he could walk through a door and suddenly become sentient toothpaste.

Hackulator
2019-02-08, 08:55 PM
Take that back. I'm a masterwork tool at the least.

But yeah, I don't know that I can give OP any advice at all because I feel like he could walk through a door and suddenly become sentient toothpaste.

Is being a masterwork tool in this particular case better or worse?

DrMotives
2019-02-08, 09:02 PM
Is being a masterwork tool in this particular case better or worse?

Clearly, this means a +2 non-magical enhancement at being a tool.

Hackulator
2019-02-08, 09:09 PM
Clearly, this means a +2 non-magical enhancement at being a tool.

Yes but is "+2 to sucking" really a bonus you want? :smallwink:

DaBonBon
2019-02-09, 09:22 AM

Somehow that wouldnt surprise me that much. I learned to ask my DM if its beacuse he says so or the rule actually apllies, cuz he homebrews all the time, its cool tho. cant look up monsters etc