PDA

View Full Version : reach opportunity attack quick check

huttj509
2019-02-05, 08:29 PM
I know it's been asked and answered repeatedly since 5e came out, but my google-fu is weak.

Say I have a reach weapon. A foe moves from 5 ft away from me, to 10 ft away from me. He has not left my weapon's reach, and thus does not provoke an opportunity attack, correct?

PhoenixPhyre
2019-02-05, 08:40 PM
I know it's been asked and answered repeatedly since 5e came out, but my google-fu is weak.

Say I have a reach weapon. A foe moves from 5 ft away from me, to 10 ft away from me. He has not left my weapon's reach, and thus does not provoke an opportunity attack, correct?

Correct. He has to go from 10 to 10+X feet to do so.

Teaguethebean
2019-02-05, 08:40 PM
that is correct

JackPhoenix
2019-02-05, 08:51 PM
Sort of correct. See, you can't take the OA with the reach weapon... but you still have your legs and other body parts to make UNARMED opportunity attack when the enemy moves out of their 5ft reach, if you really want to. Usualy not worth it, as moving enemy will propably keep moving and you'll get a chance with your weapon... but there may be circumstances where that could be useful.

E’Tallitnics
2019-02-05, 09:12 PM
Sage Advice Compendium v2.3:

How does a reach weapon work with opportunity attacks?
An opportunity attack is normally triggered when a creature you can see moves beyond your reach (PH, 195). If you want to make an opportunity attack with a reach weapon, such as a glaive or a halberd, you can do so when a creature leaves the reach you have with that weapon. For example, if you’re wielding a halberd, a creature that is right next to you could move 5 feet away without triggering an opportunity attack. If that creature tries to move an additional 5 feet—beyond your 10-foot reach—the creature then triggers an opportunity attack.

https://media.wizards.com/2019/dnd/downloads/SA-Compendium.pdf