PDA

View Full Version : Medium Wildshaping

TheElfLord
2007-09-25, 07:40 PM
NPC antagonist with 6-7 levels of Druid.

So he's restricted to medium sized animals.

I've never played a 3.x druid, so I'm looking for good suggestions of things he can turn into when he attacks the PCs.

Perferably stuff on the SRD.

Tor the Fallen
2007-09-25, 07:48 PM
Fleshrakers. If you don't have MM3, use the deinonychus. Fast, have pounce.

my_evil_twin
2007-09-25, 08:04 PM
Here are three suggestions.

The boar is a durable form, with AC 16 and a 17 con. It has one gore attack for 1d8+3, which is okay.

A black bear will do more damage with a full attack, because it has two claw attacks for 1d4+4 and a secondary bite for 1d6+1. Its AC is only 13, though, and its con is 15, so your druid won't last quite as long.

Technically, dinosaurs are animals. If you can rationalize your druid being "familiar with" dinosaurs, then the most dangerous form you can take is almost certainly the Deinonychus. It's got a speed of 60, AC 17, and con 19. It has a primary talon attack 1d8+4, and three secondary attacks.

arkol
2007-09-26, 08:01 AM
@my_evil_twin why is con so important if you keep the same HP?

Person_Man
2007-09-26, 08:19 AM
I agree with Tor's suggestions. If your DM gives you grief about having to be "familiar" with the animal, then use a spell to summon one so that you can get to know it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-09-26, 08:30 AM
I agree with Tor's suggestions. If your DM gives you grief about having to be "familiar" with the animal, then use a spell to summon one so that you can get to know it.

Considering that it is for a "NPC antagonist" I think any grief from the DM would be a rather schizophrenic experience. :smalltongue:

OverdrivePrime
2007-09-26, 08:35 AM
Unless you're playing in a "Savage Land" kind of setting, I think wildshaping into a dinosaur is pretty ridiculous. It's cheese just for the sake of cheese.

Dire Weasel is a nice one, for crazy dexterity, along with a fantastic ability set - attach and blood drain.

Attach (Ex): A dire weasel that hits with its bite attack latches onto the opponent’s body with its powerful jaws. An attached dire weasel loses its Dexterity bonus to AC and thus has an AC of 12. An attached dire weasel can be struck with a weapon or grappled itself. To remove an attached dire weasel through grappling, the opponent must achieve a pin against the creature.
Blood Drain (Ex): A dire weasel drains blood for 1d4 points of Constitution damage each round it remains attached.

TheSteelRat
2007-09-26, 09:23 AM
It depends if you're going for a Grappler, charger, etc. There's an excellent section on a CharOp board titled "The Druid Handbook" I believe that goes through all the best forms for each individual purpose.

If you're just going for damage, I'd say Fleshraker or Swindlespitter Dinosaurs from MM3. If you're going Core, I'd go Leopard or Crocodile.