PDA

View Full Version : PC as a Mount 5e

jklaryn
2019-02-06, 12:06 AM
I have an upcoming new session and me and someone else have been working together to form a sort of combined player characters. I will be running as a typical half-orc barbarian Clem, while he will be a goblin warlock Kruk. Now our planned backstory is, Kruk made his warlock pact with an Old One, and destroyed his goblin home and tribe in the process, while having his legs crushed by debris. Clem finds him and we end up making a harness for Kruk that sits on the back of Clem for him to stay and cast spells over shoulder, etc. Our problem lies in, being a somewhat unconventional situation, rulesets regarding things like this are hard to come across. Since goblins are already small, if we say his legs are broken and he can only stay in this harness, could that make him considered a tiny size? We are still two separate people, but I can smash thing while he casts spells on my back, are there Mount rules I would need to follow? Any info, suggestions, or better ways we can accomplish something like this are welcome and appreciated.

Shuruke
2019-02-06, 03:22 AM
A small creature can use a medium sized one as a mount

P .198

I'd state humanoid can be right anatomy

He's just on your shoulders

Independent mounts roll their own Intiative

You'd still roll Intiative. Separately and the goblin can't control orcs actions.

CTurbo
2019-02-06, 03:56 AM
Yeah my Goliath Barb carried around a Halfling on his back and shoulders. They rolled INT separately and the Halfling just usually skipped on the movement action. The only real benefit the Halfling got was partial to total cover. The Goliath got no benefit.

Zhorn
2019-02-06, 03:57 AM
I feel bad for not having the book page numbers for this, but these were in my notes regarding mounts:

Mounted Movement & Combat

A creature can spend half their movement speed to attempt to mount (or dismount from) another creature within 5 feet that is; willing, at least one size category larger, and has appropriate anatomy to serve as a mount.
If an effect moves a mount against its will while a rider is on it, the rider must succeed on a DC 10 Dexterity saving throw or fall off the mount, landing prone in a space within 5 feet of it. If a rider knocked prone while mounted, it must make the same saving throw.
If a mount is knocked prone, the rider can use its reaction to dismount it and land on their feet as the mounts falls. Otherwise, they are dismounted and fall prone in a space within 5 feet of the mount.
While mounted, a rider's melee combat reach is limited by the weapon they are using and their position on the mount. For tokens this is the mount's centre for the rider, and for miniatures it is wherever the rider sits on the mount miniature (movement withing a mount's occupied area is at Dungeon Master's discretion for a case-by-case ruling).
Mounts have their own place on the initiative order to take movement and actions on. A controlled mount changes position on the initiate order to match their rider (either before or after), while an independent mounts retain their own place in initiative.
Creatures with an intelligence of 6 or more behave as independent mounts unless they willingly allow the rider to control them.
Controlled mounts only have three action options: Dash, Disengage, and Dodge (unless the rider allows their mount to act independently). Controlled mounts can move and act on the same round that it was mounted by a rider.
Independent mounts suffer no restrictions from bearing a rider on what actions they can perform, but will act as it wishes regardless of what the rider intends.
If the mount's movement provokes an attack of opportunity, the attacker can choose to attack either the mount or the rider (assuming the rider is within attack range).