PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What does "all keying off of Wisdom" mean?

Drwaterbuffalo
2019-02-06, 12:23 AM
I'm creating a character with a non-core race for the first time today. I chose Githzerai, so I pulled up 1d4Chan and it says on there that all keying is off of Wisdom. I've tried googling variations of this but I'm not sure what it means. I feel like its obvious but I'm just being stupid.

Keeganwilson
2019-02-06, 12:30 AM
Abilities that uses your wisdom score, eg spell attacks and the like. Clerics druid and a select few other classes have things that use your wisdom modifier.

sithlordnergal
2019-02-06, 12:40 AM
Its any ability, skill, or spell that uses your Wisdom modifier in some way.

Aaron Underhand
2019-02-06, 01:41 AM
I just built a variant human horizon walker 5. 1st level feat mage initiate druid, for shillelagh, magic stone and goodberry.

Perfect example of all keying off wisdom. Stats, 10 Str, 14 Dex, 14 Con, 10 Int, 18 Wis, 10 Cha (Wis boosted at 4th level). Combat, spells and key skills are all based on the wisdom score...

Zhorn
2019-02-06, 01:48 AM
Abilities that uses your wisdom score, eg spell attacks and the like. Clerics druid and a select few other classes have things that use your wisdom modifier.

Like how monks "Ki off of Wisdom" :smallbiggrin:

... I'll show myself out

Crgaston
2019-02-06, 07:56 AM
Like how monks "Ki off of Wisdom" :smallbiggrin:

... I'll show myself out

Nice!

@OP,

To "key off of" is an idiom which means "to be unlocked or activated by."

For a Githzerai specifically, their casting stat for all their innate spells is Wisdom. So the save DC for those spells (really it only matters for Detect Thoughts) would be 8 + Proficiency + Wis mod.

KorvinStarmast
2019-02-06, 03:39 PM
Like how monks "Ki off of Wisdom" :smallbiggrin: ... I'll show myself out Groan, but thanks. I am going to use that. :smallcool: