PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Do I have too many Concentration spells?

Citadel97501
2019-02-06, 04:30 AM
Hello all,
I am working on a character and I seem to have 3 primary spell tricks up my sleeve and I am concerned that as a 2 Monk + 3 Fiend Warlock, I am wasting my tiny pool of spells known on to many variations of AOE Concentration spells. My intent is to eventually go for Open Hand Monk

Please examine and critique honestly...

Beneficial Cantrips:
Thorn Whip: Useful to drag enemies into the aoe's of pain.

Concentration Spells:
Create Bonfire: 2d8 fire damage at an OK DC, whenever they enter or end their turn.
Darkness: Defense & Offense due to Devil's Sight.
Cloud of Daggers: 4d4 damage whenever they enter or end their turn.

Palfatreos
2019-02-06, 05:05 AM
It fine to have only concentration spell if you going mainly monk and dip into something else. Monk has nothing to concentrate on and the spelcaster dip will have barely any spell slots so you probably spend them quick per encounter even if they concentration spells.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-06, 07:19 AM
Cloud of Daggers doesn’t require a save as posted below. So you have to weigh that against a cantrip that scales. That being said, you might consider Mirror Image while on second level spells. It’s not concentration and would be awesome for a monk!

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-06, 07:19 AM
Cloud of daggers is better then you list: it doesn't allow a save. If someone enters, they take the damage.

Cloud of daggers: You fill the air with spinning daggers in a cube 5 feet on
each side, centered on a point you choose within range.
A creature takes 4d4 slashing damage when it enters
the spell’s area for the first time on a turn or starts
its turn there.

sophontteks
2019-02-06, 07:42 AM
Monks lose a lot with multiclassing and this will be most evident between levels 5-7. There is nothing wrong with the number of concentration spells though.

Using darkness isn't great for melee characters. The advantage you gain may not be worth the disadvantage you're giving to your party. The damage spells will also suffer from being low level spells.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-06, 08:41 AM
Cloud of daggers is better then you list: it doesn't allow a save. If someone enters, they take the damage.

Just checked this and I can confirm, which means my original comment needs to be edited. Basically OP has to balance a save with better scaling damage.