PDA

View Full Version : Questions about my future (epic) Warlock progression

skunk3
2019-02-06, 05:35 AM
I am playing in a gestalt game right now on Roll20. We are level 14 but the DM said that we will likely go to at least 30 by the time it's all said and done. I have my levels figured out for 1-20. One side will be straight-up Warlock 20 and the other side will be Pixie (4), Dark template (1), Enlightened Spirit (10), and Occult Slayer (5).

1. Does anybody have a list of prestige classes that require arcane caster levels only, rather than needing to know specific spells? Basically, something that I can take as a Warlock? (I should note that HFW is out of the question as I am good-aligned, and the theurge classes are obviously out as this is a gestalt game. I also have very little interest in a Mindbender dip.)

2. If I take a prestige class after 20 that progresses an arcane spellcasting class would I gain EB dice at the rate of a regular Warlock (every 3 levels) or at the rate of an epic Warlock? (Every 2 levels.) Conversely, would I not gain those extra blast dice at all since I wouldn't technically be taking levels in epic Warlock?

All I know for now is that I absolutely want to continue gaining EB dice, preferably every 2 levels rather than 3. My assumption is that if I took a PrC that advances a spellcasting class, I'd gain EB dice at the rate of +1d6 every 2 levels since I'd be into epic levels, but I *could* be wrong.

3. I know that I am probably over-thinking this, but do I need to take any actual levels of epic Warlock to take epic Warlock feats? I will be eligible for two of them once I hit epic levels and I definitely plan on taking those feats, even if it means HAVING TO take levels in epic Warlock.

4. Can anyone suggest something good for the other side of the gestalt?

Troacctid
2019-02-06, 06:13 AM
I am playing in a gestalt game right now on Roll20. We are level 14 but the DM said that we will likely go to at least 30 by the time it's all said and done. I have my levels figured out for 1-20. One side will be straight-up Warlock 20 and the other side will be Pixie (4), Dark template (1), Enlightened Spirit (10), and Occult Slayer (5).
Dark seems redundant when you already have at-will greater invisibility, don't you think? I would also for sure ditch occult slayer as it has no synergy with warlock. You can do waaay better.

Your warlock half is gonna want to go all the way to warlock 30 for the bonus epic feats.

1. Does anybody have a list of prestige classes that require arcane caster levels only, rather than needing to know specific spells? Basically, something that I can take as a Warlock? (I should note that HFW is out of the question as I am good-aligned, and the theurge classes are obviously out as this is a gestalt game. I also have very little interest in a Mindbender dip.)
Sure. See my signature. I have a complete list in the spellcasting classes index, and a curated list in the Warlockopedia.

2. If I take a prestige class after 20 that progresses an arcane spellcasting class would I gain EB dice at the rate of a regular Warlock (every 3 levels) or at the rate of an epic Warlock? (Every 2 levels.) Conversely, would I not gain those extra blast dice at all since I wouldn't technically be taking levels in epic Warlock?
You'd gain it at the rate you would have gained it if you had taken a level in warlock.

All I know for now is that I absolutely want to continue gaining EB dice, preferably every 2 levels rather than 3. My assumption is that if I took a PrC that advances a spellcasting class, I'd gain EB dice at the rate of +1d6 every 2 levels since I'd be into epic levels, but I *could* be wrong.
You could consider some rogue levels on the other side of the gestalt. They offer a similar damage progression, and the skills are great.

3. I know that I am probably over-thinking this, but do I need to take any actual levels of epic Warlock to take epic Warlock feats? I will be eligible for two of them once I hit epic levels and I definitely plan on taking those feats, even if it means HAVING TO take levels in epic Warlock.
You actively want to take epic warlock levels for the bonus epic feats; I don't think any prestige class is going to outmatch them. But no, you don't have to if for some reason you don't want to.

4. Can anyone suggest something good for the other side of the gestalt?
Yes.

skunk3
2019-02-06, 06:47 AM
Greater Invisibility is nice until someone can see invisible creatures. Then having a massive hide bonus and HIPS helps a lot. You did answer my question epic bonus feats though.

As far as Occult Slayer goes, I just like the flavor of it and I think it's pretty potent for a 5-level PrC.

As far as gaining EB dice at every 2 levels instead of every 3, I don't understand why I'd only gain one every 3 levels if I took a PrC that gave me "+1 level to existing..." blah blah. I'd already be a 20th level Warlock so technically wouldn't I gain EB dice at epic progression rather than non-epic? I do understand that I'd miss out on the epic bonus feats though.

As far as the other side of the gestalt goes, I was actually considering Rogue anyway because my character is already the stealthy one in our group. One of the other PC's cohorts has trapfinding but I'd like that myself. I have sneaky/party face/crowd control going on as usual. However, Rogue just seems so boring even though it fits my character fairly well thematically. Now that I think about it, Spellthief seems right up this character's alley.

Troacctid
2019-02-06, 01:16 PM
Greater Invisibility is nice until someone can see invisible creatures. Then having a massive hide bonus and HIPS helps a lot. You did answer my question epic bonus feats though.

As far as Occult Slayer goes, I just like the flavor of it and I think it's pretty potent for a 5-level PrC.

As far as gaining EB dice at every 2 levels instead of every 3, I don't understand why I'd only gain one every 3 levels if I took a PrC that gave me "+1 level to existing..." blah blah. I'd already be a 20th level Warlock so technically wouldn't I gain EB dice at epic progression rather than non-epic? I do understand that I'd miss out on the epic bonus feats though.

As far as the other side of the gestalt goes, I was actually considering Rogue anyway because my character is already the stealthy one in our group. One of the other PC's cohorts has trapfinding but I'd like that myself. I have sneaky/party face/crowd control going on as usual. However, Rogue just seems so boring even though it fits my character fairly well thematically. Now that I think about it, Spellthief seems right up this character's alley.
Instead of the dark template, you could take the Darkstalker feat to prevent enemies from sensing you while you're invisible. You can also get hide in plain sight from the Blend into Shadows feat.

I wouldn't describe occult slayer as potent. It requires a double feat tax and has multiple levels that do actual nothing, since you can already detect magic at will and you don't use weapon attacks. You can't even use Weapon Focus (eldritch blast) to qualify because it specifically has to be with a weapon. The mind-affecting immunity is fine or whatever, but you're level 20 at that point; you could just throw ~100k gp at that problem instead of five whole class levels.

You wouldn't gain an extra die every 3 levels, you'd gain one at the same rate as if you took levels of warlock, which could be every 3 levels or every 2 levels, depending on how many warlock levels you already have. So a Warlock 20/Sentinel of Bharrai 10 would have the blast damage of a Warlock 30 (which I believe is 14d6).