PDA

View Full Version : Blood Hunter / Monk combo OP?

Kwinza
2019-02-06, 06:21 AM
Is the combo of Blood Hunter / Kensei Monk OP?

You can use a Great Sword as your Kensei weapon, take GWM as a feat, get dex and wis to dmg and AC.

Each hit (of which you have 4 per turn) would do 2d6 + 20, thats 8d6 + 80 at level 8, whist still having 20 AC and +4 to hit assuming a +1 Great Sword.

Zaharra
2019-02-06, 06:30 AM
I'm not super familiar with blood hunter, but could your math be a little off? I'm also not sure how you get four attacks per turn, or a 20 ac. Can you clarify?

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-06, 06:33 AM
Is the combo of Blood Hunter / Kensei Monk OP?

You can use a Great Sword as your Kensei weapon, take GWM as a feat, get dex and wis to dmg and AC.

Each hit (of which you have 4 per turn) would do 2d6 + 20, thats 8d6 + 80 at level 8, whist still having 20 AC and +4 to hit assuming a +1 Great Sword.
I know i don't know the blood hunter, but i'm very much questioning how you get 4 attacks before level 8. Even fighters don't get that untill double digit levels, even with duel wielding. And monk attack progression is no faster. And how do you get +20 damage? I'm just very much unclear on how you're supposed to get these numbers.

Also, i doubt it is OP. Raw damage rarely is, especially if the DM knows how to mitigate it by including different elements into the fight, like terrain, lighting, non-standard objectives, resistances, etc.

Kwinza
2019-02-06, 06:35 AM
Monks get dex and Wis to AC so lets assume you get 20's in both.

Monks also get 4 attacks per turn as of level 5.

Blood hunter gets dex and wis to their damage with their "Rite weapon"

Kensei monks can make a Great Sword a "monk weapon"

Thus you get 4 attacks with the Great Sword(its both your Monk and Rite weapon) and your AC is 20(+5 Dex and +5 Wis)

Thus BH-3/Monk-5. Level 8.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-06, 06:41 AM
I'm not sure the math really adds up.
-Which feature is giving you your Wisdom to damage rolls? Blood Hunter's only get that on Order of the Ghostslayer and it's only against undead (until level 11, although this still requires your rite to be active).
-You can't add crimson rite damage to your unarmed strikes (unless you take Order of the Lycan) so no flurry of blows with rite damage.
-Why did you bother taking Blood Hunter levels just to not add Crimson rite damage to your calculation?
-You can't use a Greatsword as a Kensai, it has the heavy property. The Longbow is the only weapon allowed that has the Heavy Property.
-Melee Bloodhunter are squishy due to the nature of having to sacrifice your own hit points. 20 AC won't stop you from taking heaps of damage.
-You only get 4 attacks when you Flurry of Blows, which must be made with Unarmed Strikes and use Ki points. You can only FoB 5 times (since we're assuming monk level 5) without taking a 30-minute meditation during a short or long rest.

Currently playing a Profane Soul Bloodhunter/ War Wizard SnB character in SKT I can tell you that my 22 (or 27 on reaction) AC hasn't stopped me from taking some meaty hits from giants.

No, it's not OP. You've also misunderstood several of the class abilities. You've also calculated this assuming that a level 8 character has a 20 in both Dex and Wisdom as well as a feat.

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-06, 06:47 AM
Monks get dex and Wis to AC so lets assume you get 20's in both.

Monks also get 4 attacks per turn as of level 5.

Blood hunter gets dex and wis to their damage with their "Rite weapon"

Kensei monks can make a Great Sword a "monk weapon"

Thus you get 4 attacks with the Great Sword(its both your Monk and Rite weapon) and your AC is 20(+5 Dex and +5 Wis)

Thus BH-3/Monk-5. Level 8.
Assuming you have 20 in both main stats by level 8 is not really reasonable. Monks also don't get 4 attacks by level 5, they get 2+one bonus action. They can spend 1 ki to add +1 for four, but that is using a class resource and only works for that one turn. So they can do it.....a few times a day. Except the greatsword, that's just plain false, since it's a heavy weapon, which can't be a kensei weapon.

Kwinza
2019-02-06, 06:48 AM
I'm not sure the math really adds up.
-Which feature is giving you your Wisdom to damage rolls? Blood Hunter's only get that on Order of the Ghostslayer and it's only against undead (until level 11, although this still requires your rite to be active).
-You can't add crimson rite damage to your unarmed strikes (unless you take Order of the Lycan) so no flurry of blows with rite damage.
-Why did you bother taking Blood Hunter levels just to not add Crimson rite damage to your calculation?
-You can't use a Greatsword as a Kensai, it has the heavy property. The Longbow is the only weapon allowed that has the Heavy Property.
-Melee Bloodhunter are squishy due to the nature of having to sacrifice your own hit points. 20 AC won't stop you from taking heaps of damage.
-You only get 4 attacks when you Flurry of Blows, which must be made with Unarmed Strikes and use Ki points. You can only FoB 5 times (since we're assuming monk level 5) without taking a 30-minute meditation during a short or long rest.

Currently playing a Profane Soul Bloodhunter/ War Wizard SnB character in SKT I can tell you that my 22 (or 27 on reaction) AC hasn't stopped me from taking some meaty hits from giants.

No, it's not OP. You've also misunderstood several of the class abilities. You've also calculated this assuming that a level 8 character has a 20 in both Dex and Wisdom as well as a feat.

Kensei can use heavy weapon unless there's been an errata I've missed, I have the PDF right in front of me.
I did miss understand about flurry of blows though, I thought you could use monk weps for them like in 3.5.

Path of the Kensei
When you choose this tradition at 3rd level, you
learn to extend your knowledge of the martial
arts beyond the standard array of monk
weapons.
You gain the following benefits:
• You gain proficiency with three martial
weapons of your choice. A martial weapon is
considered a kensei weapon for you if you’re
proficient with it

Says literally nothing about heavy or not heavy.

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-06, 06:51 AM
Kensei can use heavy weapon unless there's been an errata I've missed, I have the PDF right in front of me.
I did miss understand about flurry of blows though, I thought you could use monk weps for them like in 3.5.

Kensei Weapons. C hoose two types of weapons to
be your ke n sei w eapons: o ne m e lee weapon a nd o ne
r a n ged weapon. Each of th ese weapons can be any s impl
e or martia l weapon that lacks th e h eavy a nd s pecia l
properties. The longbow is a lso a va lid c hoice. You gain
proficiency with these wea pons if yo u don' t a lready have
it. Weapons of the chosen ty pes are mo nk weapons for
you. Many of this tra ditio n's featu res work only with
your k e nsei weapons. Whe n you r each 6th, 11th, a nd
17th leve l in this class, you can c h oose anothe r type of
w eapon- e ith e r m e lee o r range d- to b e a ke nsei weapon
for yo u , following th e crite ri a above.

That's not what my Xanatars has to say about it.

Kwinza
2019-02-06, 06:54 AM
Well... Blow that build right up there haha.

My pdf must be waaaaay out of date then.

Cheers for all the corrections guys n gals.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-06, 06:57 AM
Well... Blow that build right up there haha.

My pdf must be waaaaay out of date then.

Cheers for all the corrections guys n gals.

The issue is that you're using the UA version of the class. A UA from 2016 that was published in 2017.

You're pretty far out of date.