PDA

View Full Version : Favored critical feat?

schreier
2019-02-06, 06:28 AM
I was reading this thread:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?569192-D-amp-D-3-5e-For-Massive-Damage!-A-Critical-Hit-Handbook

And I noticed a reference to the favored critical feat. I had never heard of it before so looked it up ... Why does no one reference it? Has it been officially nerfed somehow?

It's from Masters of the Wild (a 3.0 book), but generally 3.0 stuff is fine unless superceded.

The relevant info on the feat: requires Bab +5 and a favored enemy, and it doubles critical range while stacking with Keen (but not improved critical for some reason).

I am building a swift Hunter with a 2 level dip in stalker of kharash ... Using and 18-20 weapon, that would give a critical range of 8-20 against evil creatures, right? Throw on enfeebling and TWF and you do bad things.

Mordaedil
2019-02-06, 06:47 AM
It's basically improved critical which was nerfed to not stack in its conversion from 3.0 to 3.5, so favored critical is easy to errata to follow the same idea, so it would no longer apply.

heavyfuel
2019-02-06, 07:02 AM
generally 3.0 stuff is fine unless superceded.

That's not true. 3.0 stuff is fine after the DM makes the proper changes to it.

I'm AFB now, but that's the rule. I'll post the actual book/page when I get home (anyone else is free to swordsage me here)

schreier
2019-02-06, 07:34 AM
I guess the question is - how do you define "proper changes." It seems like the feat was not superseded, so should be fine. The question arises regarding keen ... since keen in 3.0 did not say "This benefit doesn’t stack with any other effect that expands the threat range of a weapon," you have a rock and a hard place.

In one case, the feat describes specifically stacking with keen while simultaneously stating that it does not stack with Improved Critical. In the other, you have a magic effect that does not stack with anything else.

I would think that, if you allow keen to stack with the barbarian critical threat range increase from streetfighter, then you should allow favored critical to stack. Either nothing stacks with keen, or things that explicitly stack with it do correctly stack with it.

schreier
2019-02-06, 10:03 AM
Never mind ...

http://archive.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dnd/20050110x

Now I'm sad

Favored power attack is nice actually, but no where near as nice (especially for TWF)