PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Glory Stories

BigPixie
2019-02-06, 11:07 AM
Tell me about your proudest moments as a player(or DM)

tchntm43
2019-02-06, 11:24 AM
In some ways, playing with new players is great for getting this kind of satisfying feeling. I remember once when they, at level 1, were teamed up with a much higher level fighter (only for 1 fight against a horde of kobolds, the were on their own the rest of the adventure because the story is about them, not the NPC). I remember the fighter in my group being very impressed just because the NPC was killing multiple kobolds (because she was high enough level to have multiple attacks).

In the recent game, there were a lot of good moments. All of the battles were different from anything they had faced before. I threw carrion crawlers, rust monsters, a gelatinous cube, a gibbering mouther, and a pair of warlocks against them. All of these seemed to really excite the players because of how different they were from the boring goblins/kobolds in the first couple adventures.

I remember when they fought the warlocks, one of them used a reaction spell (something Rebuke, I forget exactly) and the player controlling the dwarven fighter who hit the warlock went "Wow!".

At another point, they met a neurotic homeless guy named Narry (who is called that because he finds a way to use the word "nary" in nearly every sentence) who told them a greatly exaggerated tale of something he saw, and I guess I did a good job doing his voice and dialogue because after I finished they were like "Dude that was awesome!"

At the end of the adventure, they came into this great hallway with sheets of fire running up the side walls, and when they killed the gargoyle there, the fire changed into water flowing the other way. That got a pretty good response from the group. Probably a cliche concept for experienced groups but these were new players so it kinda blew their minds, haha.

Laserlight
2019-02-06, 12:52 PM
I can't top the one my son was in four years ago.

They were L6, fighting an organization's thugs in a sewer. They followed the BBEG caster, who laughed at them and stepped into a portal.
Paladin: We cross the room and look in.
DM: The portal leads to Hell.
Paladin: We step in.
DM: Okay, you step back, and--
Paladin: No, step IN. Into the portal.
DM: ...you what?
Paladin: We're chasing him down, no matter what.
DM: You're...this is a portal to Hell. Do you have some way back out, that I don't remember?
Paladin: No.
DM: And you're going in anyway?
Paladin: I'm a paladin. We're chasing him down no...matter...what.
DM: And the rest of you?
Bard: I believe the phrase what the hell, might as well is applicable.
DM: ...
(interlude)
DM: Okay, level up from 6 to 14, yes, fourteen. You are invading Hell by riding the sun into the abyss.
Bard: Time for magically augmented power metal!
Paladin: I look around.
DM: Behind you is an assault battalion of angels--the archangel is coming over to report to you. And behind the angels is an army of every paladin in the world.

Agent-KI7KO
2019-02-06, 01:25 PM
DM warned us that the tutorial quest will definitely kill the whole party so he advised to use pregens while reserving your mains. I was the veteran invited to show the noobs how to play creatively.

My joke level 1 War Cleric dealing 40 damage (in one round) to an Ogre and surviving the quest was a highlight.

Same Cleric at level 3: party was dealing with Goblins in a Swamp, and suddenly a Troll decides it wants in on some easy food. It downs 2 of the back line on its turn and approaches my Cleric in the middle of doing low-risk support duty.

“DM I would like to contest the Troll”
“You want to grapple it?”
“No, climb it.”

I won the roll. What was supposed to be a massacre of the rear line turned out to be me riding a screaming Troll, which was flailing about trying to hit/shove me off with disadvantage, and then there’s me with advantage, bashing it’s skull in repeatedly with GWM, War Priest, plus Guided Strike for the one time i missed.

The poor Rogue next to me was panicking over voice chat, but we handled it.

The frontline (they had the torches) somehow kept failing perception checks to notice the screaming Troll.

I had to keep making ready actions to smash the troll back down every time it came to.

They literally use “how long can this monster survive our War Cleric” as a difficulty gauge now without knowing i can only War Priest 3 times a day.

Zanthy1
2019-02-06, 01:59 PM
As a player:

Party is fighting a black dragon that attacked our sailing vessel. During the fight, it banished me (for 1 minute). I asked my DM, since I have a scroll of banishment, could I presumably banish myself back to the material plane? He thought about it and said that he would allow it....if I rolled for it. But not a d20. I had to write down 3 numbers that could appear on a d100, and if I rolled any of those 3 it would work, and the suspense was crazy. The numbers I picked were 68, 43, and 75. I rolled 1 die at a time, the first was the tens die.....a 6. The whole table was freaking out, then I rolled the ones die....and IT CAME UP 8!!!!!!

Keravath
2019-02-06, 02:17 PM
As a player:

Party is fighting a black dragon that attacked our sailing vessel. During the fight, it banished me (for 1 minute). I asked my DM, since I have a scroll of banishment, could I presumably banish myself back to the material plane? He thought about it and said that he would allow it....if I rolled for it. But not a d20. I had to write down 3 numbers that could appear on a d100, and if I rolled any of those 3 it would work, and the suspense was crazy. The numbers I picked were 68, 43, and 75. I rolled 1 die at a time, the first was the tens die.....a 6. The whole table was freaking out, then I rolled the ones die....and IT CAME UP 8!!!!!!

Very cool story.

However, just to point out for future situations (in case your DM is interested) and to avoid confusion for others reading it.

"While there, the target is incapacitated."

The target of banishment is incapacitated so unfortunately casting a spell isn't possible though it is a really cool story.