PDA

View Full Version : Player Help What to do with the goblin ranger?

Ahrimel
2019-02-06, 05:53 PM
So I'm looking to make a character for a westlands style PbP game and fancy going with a goblin ranger, probably gloomstalker, as race selection is pretty wide open and that's what I fancy playing. It's 27 point buy, starting at lvl 1 with the quirk that all characters get a starting feat, and most stuff goes in terms of available material, with the notable exception of a bunch of UA stuff (including the revised ranger and spell-less ranger), which is banned.

Given the sneaking potential for a goblin I'm currently assuming that an archer would be my best bet, probably starting out with a shortbow, as I won't be able to afford a hand xbow at the start, and the sharpshooter feat, bringing along a short sword and shield in case I do have to mix it up in melee at all (mainly because I get a short sword as part of the ranger starting equipment and I'll be too poor at 1st level to afford anything else). I'm thinking of a stat block of 8, 16, 16, 10, 14, 10 and am debating whether to go straight ranger or go ranger/rogue.

What do people think? Would I be better with another ranger subclass like hunter? Is that stat line OK or should I push for a higher wisdom or dex? Is an archer the right way to go and, if so, should I grab sharpshooter for that extra 1st lvl or something else? Once I start moving past lvl 1 what do you think would be the best way to go for the character? I'm thinking that going straight to ranger 5 for extra attack and picking up the archery combat style and a dex bump to 18 as my first ASI along the way is the best bet but then what? Gloomstalker 7 gets me proficiency on wisdom saves, which is nice, and then it's only a lvl off of an ASI at 8, and of course gloomstalker 9 brings Fear to the table. On the other hand rogue gives some nice stuff like expertise and sneak attack, not to mention uncanny dodge and evasion a bit further down the line, and of course there's either assassin or scout at rogue 3, both of which have nice stuff, although cunning action is less interesting than it would otherwise be given that being a goblin nets you 2/3 of it anyway.

In short I have a vague idea for a character in my head but I'm not entirely sure where to take it and would appreciate some insight about what is mechanically sound and also fun from the more experienced 5E players here. Of course he might end up dead on his first adventure but I'm gong to assume he sticks around for at least a few levels!

Thanks all.

GlenSmash!
2019-02-06, 05:59 PM
What do you do with a goblin ranger?
What do you do with a goblin ranger early in the morning?

I'll see myself out.

Kane0
2019-02-06, 06:17 PM

I'll see myself out.
Rest assured you weren't the only one that immediately thought that.

But you would probably want to use a Xan's subclass over a PHB one, especially if you can't use a UA ranger.
Free feat i'd use on something other than Sharpshooter or Skulker like Mobile, Lucky, Alert or Observant. For flavor and fun instead of pure efficiency.
As for MCing, the most you'd want is 3 into Scout Rogue but my recommendation is always 'start playing the character first, THEN decide if and when you MC'

Ahrimel
2019-02-06, 06:31 PM

I'll see myself out.

There was a reason I went with that thread title ;)

strangebloke
2019-02-06, 06:36 PM
If you want to focus on the ranger as a skilled woodsman, I would definitely advise that you multiclass into rogue after level 5, since most of the ranger's late-game strength (such as it is) comes from spells rather than class features, and that can be jarring to some. I will echo Kane0's advice, however: Decide if you want to multiclass when you get there. Play it by ear for now.

As to the subclass, Goblins and Gloomstalkers were made for each other. Full stop. Hunters are fine and horizon walkers and monster slayers are comparable in strength to the gloomstalker, but thematically and mechanically, goblins and gloomstalkers go together like pb&j.

Your stat line is fine. Just a note that you don't need wisdom for spellcasting, you need it more for skills. 14 WIS isn't over-investing, certainly, but you don't need a 14 there either.

For feats, sharpshooter is completely overpowered, but not really until you get to 5th level or so. IMO at low levels hunter's mark+longbow will deal all the damage you need. Crossbow expert is obviously great as well, but personally I don't like it. I'd have more fun with skulker or one of the racial feats if you can talk your DM into it. Prodigy, Elven Accuracy, and Wood Elf Magic are all very fun.

MightyDuck
2019-02-06, 07:15 PM
Step 1: Chose beast master ranger
Step 2: Aquire your beast
Step 3: Use the beast as a mount
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit

But seriously, pick gloomstalker, take sharpshooter and play like a skirmishers, use your goblin trait to bonus action hide and then take shots with sharpshooter, use bonus action disengage if you get forced into melee combat.

CTurbo
2019-02-06, 09:34 PM
I like Goblin Gloom Stalker Ranger with the stat line you presented.

Maybe after Ranger 5, some Rogue levels would be great. Assassin or Scout would be awesome.

Ahrimel
2019-02-07, 02:37 AM
Thanks folks! That's been helpful :)

Mortis_Elrod
2019-02-07, 05:53 AM
Probably dont need to multiclass unless you're going to overtake your levels, ending Ranger 5/Rogue 5+ but thats pretty far to plan out.

Goblin as a race is nearly 2 whole levels in rogue anyway, so i doubt you actually need to mc especially with the gloomstalker. Personally i like all of their features even if you only end at 11.

Scout/ Arcane Trickster would be the subclasses of choice here if you did mc after 5. Scout gives you some more nature flavor, while AT is gonna give you some more spells and utility, plus a familiar.

Starting feats i'd recommend are squat nimbleness, skulker, observant, Magic initiate, Martial Adept or something for damage.

LibraryOgre
2019-02-07, 11:23 AM

I'll see myself out.

I combined it with

I wanna be a goblin ranger
I wanna live a life of danger
Raiding villages, that's for me
[Forget about] the ****in' trees.

However, I'd be inclined to follow another goblin archetype... the Wolf Rider. Archery style, Beast Master archetype.

jaappleton
2019-02-07, 11:34 AM
I played a Goblin Gloomstalker for awhile. Wyatt, he was a borderline maniac and most definitely not of any sort of Good alignment. In fact, when the Paladin cast 'Detect Evil & Good', he detected a pretty dark aura around Wyatt that caused some... Hilarity.

I went TWF, using the following tactics:

Round 1: Leap into combat from the shadows and stab someone repeatedly.
Round 2: Continue stabbing that same creature until it was no longer alive
Round 3: Repeat