PDA

View Full Version : Stormcaster Flying

Geminiocean
2019-02-06, 06:05 PM
I want to add flying the to the Stormcaster prestige class. Enough places in the description of the prestige class make me believe that it was supposed to have some sort of flying as a class feature and I would like to add it to my character without breaking the game or having to rely on a spell or magic item. I've looked everywhere to find a solution to this and decided that my best bet would be to ask the kind and knowledgeable people here in GitP.
I looked the thread over and couldn't find anything on this, but if there is a thread already, please direct me that way. I've been on this hunt for a while now.

Thank you for your time,
Geminiocean

RaiKirah
2019-02-06, 06:17 PM
Playing as a Raptoran (RotW) or Dragonborn with the Wings Aspect (RoD) are the generally easiest ways to get always on flight without items or spells.

Playing any Dragonblood races (Silverbrow Human (DrM), etc.) opens up the Draconic Wings and Improved Draconic Wings feat for flight post level 12 I believe. If you have two feats level one (Human or Strongheart Halfling, etc.) you can take Dragontouched to qualify for Dragon Wings, though that takes both of your level 1 feats.

Six levels of Warlock or Dragonfire Adept get you Fell Flight or Draconic Flight invocations for continuous flight as well.

Those are probably the most straight forward methods, though there are many, many more.

Geminiocean
2019-02-06, 06:31 PM
Thank you for the wonderful ideas, but I was hoping to stay as a plain human and add flight a class feature.

To flesh out the character a bit, she's a human pirate that earned her rank through her ability to control storms. I've looked at a few different prestige classes as well as going specialized sorc/wiz, but I like the flavor of the Stormcaster.

Thank you again. You've given me a great idea for a back character;)

RaiKirah
2019-02-06, 07:19 PM
Hmmm...well if you're wedded to Stormcaster then you're going to need to get in with either 5 levels of Wizard or Druid, or 6 levels of Sorcerer (there are other ways to get Gust of Wind, but Lightning Bolt and Call Lightning are currently escaping me). If you're doing that you will have access to all kinds of spells to fly, and getting the ability as a class feature is somewhat redundant at that point (plus if you go the Druid route you'll have wild shape).

If you want to be a Pirate with a Storm Affinity, then you could look at playing a Bard into a Stormsinger (add in Sublime Chord if you want 9th level spells additionally). Flight as a class feature is still an issue.

If you don't mind getting flying by way of a mount you could start with Spell-less Paladin 5/Full BAB Class +2/Divine Crusader (Storm Domain) 3/Stormcaster X with the Dragon Steed feat, though at that point you might be better off going into Storm Lord, and you'll need to find a way to keep your mount relevant (Holy Mount from Dragon Magazine 325 would do the trick).

If you like the Stormsinger you can get into it by using Warrior Skald to get Bardic Music without Bard levels, and then you could take a level or two of Warlock and use Stormsinger to advance that casting to get Fell Flight at caster level 6. May need to do some weird multiclassing for feats and skills though. Could be fun.

Geminiocean
2019-02-06, 08:36 PM
While I don't have access to Frostburn or Complete Divine, stormsinger would probably be okay, if I could past playing a bard. The class just isn't it for me. I haven't seen the Stormlord prestige class, but I'll look into it.

I was already planning on at least six levels of sorcerer, focusing on storm like spells.

Barring a class feature, is it possible to have an arcane tattoo be permanenceid with the fly spell? I could do a good visual and fluff with it that I think the DM would go for if it was within the rules and level appropriate. That was the drive behind having fly as a class feature, it was already in the description. He's a bit of a stickler for rules so we have to present things in a manner that's more like bending than homebrewing, if that make sense.

Again, thanks for the help=)

RaiKirah
2019-02-06, 08:57 PM
Not sure what the rules are for a permanent tattoo of flying, but you might be able to talk your DM into it if you can come up with an appropriate cost (the most common slot-less permanent flight I'm aware of is the Feathered Wings graft for 10K).

If you're willing to throw two feats at it you can take Draconic Heritage and Draconic Flight to get a fly speed for a round whenever you cast a spell as well as some goodies from the Draconic Heritage. This would be a flavorful way to get sorta flight through a sorta class feature.

Dipping deep into Draconic Feats can be a lot of fun too (for example, if you're planning on being a pirate captain/leader type person you can get Draconic Aura (assuming you are playing a Silverbrow Human rather than the vanilla variety) for AoE buffing of allies that scales with character level)

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-02-06, 10:30 PM
There's two ways to get a flight speed with Totemist (three if you're willing to sink 9 levels into the class). Two levels lets you bind Pegasus cloak to your totem chakra, giving you limited flight (average maneuverability) that has to start and end each turn on a solid surface.

Totemist 1 and the feat Open Lesser Chakra lets you bind Pegasus cloak to your shoulder chakra, giving you true flight (also average maneuverability). (Also, arguably you could do this without taking any levels in an incarnum class, but you should run that by your DM first).

The problem with these is your fly speed is limited to 10ft/point of essentia invested, but there's a lot of ways to gain more, most obviously advancing in the totemist class or taking feats (e.g. Bonus Essentia would give you two essentia). Note there's also a limit on how many essentia you can have invested (+1 if you're using the first option and have it bound to your totem chakra):
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/emerald-isles/images/6/69/Essentia_Capacity.png/revision/latest?cb=20180609233044

Geminiocean
2019-02-06, 11:03 PM
Not sure how to quote here, but RaiKirah, I will look into the draconic heritage and see if that's in line with my character. Possibly something with a blue dragon has merit.

PoeticallyPsyco, thank you for the suggestion but Totemist doesn't fit the character concept, she's an arcane storm mage type.

I'm also looking at Stormlord to possibly adapt some of it's class features over, again, provided I can convince the DM=P