PDA

View Full Version : Do you allow the Stone Sorcerer?

Citadel97501
2019-02-07, 02:55 AM
Hello all,
I was just wondering if anyone allows the Stone Sorcery Sorcerer from UA? I kind of like it due to it being a viable tank subclass although I am concerned about the level 6 ability as it seems extremely powerful and lends to Paladin Sorcerers even more than other sorcery types. The spells available are kind of meh but that might just be me.

Tvtyrant
2019-02-07, 03:06 AM
It seems pretty strong with Paladin, effectively giving you the ability to teleport smite every round as well as boosting your AC very high when using ac spells (highest in the game I think.)

It also works really well with Rogue I think, your tele-strike has sneak attack and it makes the Rogue much heartier.

ProsecutorGodot
2019-02-07, 03:59 AM
It seems pretty strong with Paladin, effectively giving you the ability to teleport smite every round as well as boosting your AC very high when using ac spells (highest in the game I think.)

It also works really well with Rogue I think, your tele-strike has sneak attack and it makes the Rogue much heartier.

Just a few things to note:
-Your AC Calculation is 13+Con using the first level feature. AC Calculations don't stack, so your max AC from the feature is 18 (20 if you choose to use a shield). Monks can match that with maximum scores and Barbarian's can reach a higher unarmored base AC, so it isn't the highest in the game. If your con score is maxed, it's equivalent to plate armor.
-The teleport isn't at will, it requires you to use the Stone's Aegis on an ally and for that ally to be attacked within 60ft of you by a melee attack. It doesn't work against ranged attackers or attackers not on the same surface as you. That excludes hovering, flying, burrowing or climbing creatures. DM's choice on how strict "on the same surface as you" is, I could see climbing and burrowing being arguable.
-Being a UA that was never published, naturally, it would look pretty strong as a multiclass option.

I would allow it at my table, although that's really a personal bias more than me believing that it's at all balanced. I don't think it's noticeably more powerful than a Sorcadin who chose one of the other Sorcerous Origins. The subclasses features eat a lot of your action economy if you choose to build it around the Stone's Aegis combo.

Crucius
2019-02-07, 06:47 AM
Having played the stone sorcerer a bit I can tell you it is a lot of fun, but not too strong. Kinda strong, but not too strong.

The stone aegis reaction attack does not trigger that often. As ProsecutorGodot already said, its conditions are quite strict and requires careful planning and/or communication with teammates.

The spells are all right. Wrathful smite and thunderous smite are hidden gems (the former for imposing disadvantage on the Wis check the enemy needs to get out of it and the latter for having great synergy with the teleport for breaking up multi-attacks by slinging the enemy away), and since they are level 1 they are a nice combat utility to have (thunderous smite also combos with booming blade by separating them from you, giving the choice of moving and taking damage).

It lends itself well for multiclass that's for sure, but the real beauty lies in the Stone Aegis at level 6, meaning that any multiclass is probably a high level build.

There are some glaring downsides as well though, it's not all OP. Despite having a nice AC calculation and some extra hp it is very frail. It literally dives into melee combat, without access to the shield spell (reaction to teleport after all) or uncanny dodge should one go rogue MC. It is also very MAD, having to invest in a defensive stat (Con), spellcasting stat (Cha) and a melee stat (Str/Dex, Hexblade MC will solve this but that is more Hexblade's fault than Stone Sorcery).

To answer your question: I play one right now, and I allow it as a DM, so I guess that's two DM's allowing it.

EDIT: The Stone Aegis is basically a convoluted souped-up extra attack, but one that is triggered and not activated. Hence the extra power in movement and damage. It is comparable to the Valor bard and Bladesinger wizard in that respect.

Orc_Lord
2019-02-07, 07:01 AM
I don't allow UA in my games. It simplifies choices for the players and balance. I do reskin things for players if they have a cool idea but they are still playing a PhB class.

Throne12
2019-02-07, 11:21 AM
I don't allow UA in my games. It simplifies choices for the players and balance. I do reskin things for players if they have a cool idea but they are still playing a PhB class.

They why comment it doesnt help the thread.

Sigreid
2019-02-07, 11:24 AM
I might, but no one has asked. Sorcerer hasn't been popular at my table.

Crucius
2019-02-07, 11:44 AM
They why comment it doesnt help the thread.

Technically OP asks if people allow it. This person doesn't and explains their reasoning. While not highly in-depth on the Stone Sorcerer specifically, it does add to the thread.

tmjr6
2019-02-07, 11:44 AM
I had a player play one at my table once. In my experience, he wasn't too strong, he definitely was able to frontline a bit better than say, a bladesinger, but he actually rarely got off his aegis ability. We never plan well when it comes to combat, there's a reason why my group calls ourselves the CF's (Chuckle****s). That being said, the only issue I ran into was more relevant to a stat roll. When we rolled for stats he got 3 18s, so the character was more powerful than some of the others. That being said, he used that situation to instead make a sorcerer with a different stat spread, I think he chose one of the variant Tieflings. But, it was never an issue.

GlenSmash!
2019-02-07, 11:51 AM
I felt they folded it into the Stone Giant option for the Giant Soul Sorcerer, so I just use that.

Misterwhisper
2019-02-07, 11:58 AM
We had one in a game once, it was not that impressive.
Every sorcerer I have ever seen takes a level in hexblade anyway so not much different.