PDA

View Full Version : Paladin - relitively small fix?

Akennedy
2007-09-25, 09:20 PM
So, Lately, I've been looking over the paladin and in my group, not many people play one, which is somewhat unfortunate. So my thought was to fix their spellcasting to that of a bard. kinda like the duskblade, but paladin style. would this be too good/bad or even worth it?

Yakk
2007-09-25, 09:35 PM
Throw out 0 level spells, and then make up new 5th and 6th level spells?

Draz74
2007-09-26, 01:04 AM
Maybe you'd get what you want just by allowing the amazing feat from Complete Champion that lets Paladins cast all of their spells as swift actions.

JackMage666
2007-09-26, 08:46 AM
Yeah, Complete Champion has some wonderful spell feats for Paladins. One of which allows them to cast all their spells as Swift Actions, as well as I believe that there's another that does something else. Pre-reqs arn't hard, so any Paladin would be a fool to pass it up.

Lord_Zaryn
2007-09-26, 09:52 AM
I saw this problem too Aken, so at level 7, 13 and 17 I gave them a bonus divine feat and at level 12 they apply the celestial subtype to their mount and at level 18 they apply the half celestial template to their mount. That is my home brewed version atlest.

Yakk
2007-09-26, 11:17 AM
Um, celestial subtype with a half celestial template?!

Lord_Zaryn
2007-09-26, 12:25 PM
No, they loose the celestial template and gain the half-celestial.

Blackbrrd
2007-09-26, 05:27 PM
Remove the lawful good restriction ;)

knightsaline
2007-09-26, 11:51 PM
Remove the detect good. Most pallys will just sweep an inn with Detect Good and kill anything that pings as evil.

Give them some domains. The pallys spell list is limited. Giving them some relevant domains will expand the list and give some customaizability.

Remove the generic code. Allow the player to make thier own code of 5 to 10 tenets, half of which must impact on the way the pally works.

Remove Lawful Good requirement. Replace with Any Good.

Disallow the Greyguard PrC. This class allows a paladin to break his code and atone without any penalty.

TheOOB
2007-09-27, 12:06 AM
So, Lately, I've been looking over the paladin and in my group, not many people play one, which is somewhat unfortunate. So my thought was to fix their spellcasting to that of a bard. kinda like the duskblade, but paladin style. would this be too good/bad or even worth it?

You mean like the Dawnblade (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27496&)? Ability wise it's like a defensive divine duskblade. You get the lawful good holier then though stick up your butt through role play and not class features.

StickMan
2007-09-27, 06:07 AM
Remove the detect good. Most pallys will just sweep an inn with Detect Good and kill anything that pings as evil.

And then there alignment changes to non good, unless the DM thinks random Murder is a good act.

Rebalanced Paladin
(http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=761045) My favorite Paladin fix, its not small per say but still great.

Yakk
2007-09-27, 01:08 PM
Going with the Bard trick...

Give the Paladin the Bard spells/day. Do not extend her spell list with 0, 5th or 6th level spells.

The Paladin may cast any 1 round or faster casting spells as a swift action, so long as she casts no other spells or activates no other magic items during the round.

The Paladin no longer gets a fixed number of smite evils. Instead, the Paladin may burn spells/day to smite evil. Burning a L X spell per day gives her:
+Cha Bonus+X chance to hit
+Paladin Level+X damage
from a single attack. This damage is treated as "bonus damage dice", even though it is not rolled, for the purpose of damage multiplication effects.

The Paladin can also expend spells/day to heal her Mount or prevent damage to her Mount as an immediate action. A L X spell heals X*cha bonus HP on her Mount.

The Paladin is now a spontaneous caster. She knows 1 fewer spell per spell level than a Bard of the same level. 0, 5th and 6th level spells known are discarded. Metamagic does not extend the casting time of the Paladin's spells.

There, that Paladin is sufficiently badass.

Dullyanna
2007-09-27, 01:28 PM
I'd say Knightsaline and Yakk have the right idea. There should be more that separates them from fighters than stupid restrictions, a few semi-useful abilities, and a free pony. Personally, I'd want to give 'em something more unique than just spontaneous divine spells. Problem is, I don't know what that something should be.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-09-27, 03:58 PM
And then there alignment changes to non good, unless the DM thinks random Murder is a good act.

Rebalanced Paladin
(http://forums.gleemax.com/showthread.php?t=761045) My favorite Paladin fix, its not small per say but still great.
Seconded. If you need a paladin to play, then use this one. It's utterly amazing.

If you just really feel the need to make your own paladin fix (I wouldn't blame you, it seems to be a rite of passage around here), then making spellcasting progress more quickly would make the paladin actually fun to play past fifth level. Throwing in a bonus feat or two wouldn't hurt either.