PDA

View Full Version : Wind Wall: Even better than I thought

Chronos
2019-02-07, 09:04 AM
My ranger just hit 9th level, and so I've been looking at 3rd-level spells for him. I already had Wind Wall marked down as a good choice, just because of the utility of blocking arrows and vapors. But on re-reading it, I noticed a couple of things I hadn't before: First, anyone in the area of effect when it's cast takes damage (not much, only 3d8, but then, that's the same as Conjure Barrage, another 3rd-level ranger spell). Second, though, the area is completely shapeable: You can make the wall any 50' length that traces out any path you like on the battlefield, and it's only 1 foot wide. That means that, unless you've got allies completely surrounding an enemy, you can use it as an area-effect damage spell that doesn't hit allies: Just trace out a doodle that goes around all of your allies. You can maybe even use its utility effect and damage enemies, if you put the wall mostly in front of them but with loops back to hit the enemies (though this might make it too easy for them to reach it and step through).

BigPixie
2019-02-07, 09:21 AM
My brother was playing a ranger and he had maxxed WIS so he would just block/annihilate the hoards while he destroyed the BBEG. WIND WALL WRECKS!!!!!

(I apologize for overenthusiasm:smallredface:)

ImproperJustice
2019-02-07, 09:21 AM
It is an underated spell. Especially for Rangers who don’t normally have this kind of utility option.
Compared to a lot of other 3rd level spells there are usually better choices, but I recall my Nature Cleric using it more often than I thought it would.

Also, in the Gygaxian throwback dungeons like Tales from the Yawning Portal, poison gases, stinking clouds, and misty vampires / demons seem to come up more often than you might think.

I have only seen Two Rangers in play but both grabbbed this spell as one of their 3rd level choices.

Willie the Duck
2019-02-07, 09:23 AM
I don't think its legacy as a great spell was ever in question. In 3e it was one of the most hated by people whose DM had their enemy wizards always have it ("If you didn't want me to make an archer build, you should have just said so!"). And in 5e, it is still great to be sure. Just for completeness, here are some drawbacks (or just things that other walls might do differently).

Unlike other walls, after the initial damage, creatures (except for gaseous and small- flying ones) can just walk through it with neither damage nor being slowed.
In fact, it has no post-initial damage effect
It has to touch the ground (true of many-to-most walls, but I know a lot of people would like a flying arrow-shield)

However, it is a low-level (although for ranger, still a mid-game spell) wall spell, which blocks ranged fire (but not ranged spells), is str-save-gated, and is imminently shapeable. I think it is one of the better selections for people who can take it.

Chronos
2019-02-07, 10:45 AM
Being able to walk through it can actually be an advantage: That means that in a long-range fight, you can cast it close to your party, and then anyone on your team who needs to use arrows (likely including yourself, if you're a ranger) can just step through it, shoot, and then step back. They can still ready actions to shoot you when you step through, but it might take them a round or two to figure that out, and it opens up the potential for your party to soak up those readied attacks with a high-AC character or an illusion or whatever, or to put up some Minor Illusion cover just on the other side of the wall for your archers to take turns using.

It'd certainly be better if it didn't need to touch the ground, but that'd probably make it too good: A flying foe with Wind Wall and a ranged attack that can pass through would be nigh-unbeatable for mundanes.