PDA

View Full Version : Optimized Character For OotA

Ivor_The_Mad
2019-02-07, 09:35 AM
Our adventuring party is soon going to start OotA and I have been banned from using my original character concept. For good reason probably. My original idea was to make a warforged monk. It would be quite good for the dungeon, Having built in armor, no need to eat, sleep, or breathe. Not to mention with monk my already weaponized fists are now even more weaponized. It is the perfect race/class for a dungeon where you start with nothing and have to forage for food. You could use a barb. Is there any more optimized class/race combo?

nickl_2000
2019-02-07, 10:08 AM
I would say a Druid would be a decent choice. At level 1 you get create food and water and goodberry, which effectively handles the issues of food and water for the entire party. If you are a Wood Elf, you don't actually sleep, instead you trace which should be better for keeping watch (and you +2 dex, +1 Wis, and darkvision). Plus you get the longbow, which could be better than a lot of your cantrips starting out at level 1.

It wouldn't be quite as effective, but it certainly solves a lot of problems to begin with.

Guy Lombard-O
2019-02-07, 10:35 AM
Our adventuring party is soon going to start OotA and I have been banned from using my original character concept. For good reason probably. My original idea was to make a warforged monk. It would be quite good for the dungeon, Having built in armor, no need to eat, sleep, or breathe. Not to mention with monk my already weaponized fists are now even more weaponized. It is the perfect race/class for a dungeon where you start with nothing and have to forage for food. You could use a barb. Is there any more optimized class/race combo?

Don't know if you're allowed your focus to start, but maybe VHuman MI-Druid for Goodberry and Primal Savagery would help? Or take Tavern Brawler?

Orc_Lord
2019-02-07, 10:40 AM
Drow Sorclock.
Fey Lock/Divine Sorcerer with Devil's Sight.
Outlander background

Win at all the things.

Randomthom
2019-02-07, 11:12 AM
Gloomstalker Ranger (to 3 or 5) then Rogue (Assassin works best but all options are good, Arcane Trickster can get Shadowblade at higher levels). Elves are great for this, Halflings, VHumans too. Half-Elves will make a great skillmonkey character with masses of utility in this environment too.

Yep... I just suggested Ranger alongside the word "optimised".

Side-note; I'm a DM who has been running OotA for the last year, we're nearing the end. This combination is mightily effective.