PDA

View Full Version : Raptors [Speed-focused 3.5 PrC]

Axelgear
2007-09-25, 10:04 PM
This PrC was inspired by the Chaos Raptors of Warhammer 40,000, and is designed for D&D 3.5. For the longest time that I have played D&D, speed has seemed meaningless. Sure, Scouts can Skirmish, but what's the difference between running at 30 feet per round and running at 40 or more? If you're close enough to fight, it's academic. And if you're a mage, why run at all? You can just teleport. And don't even get me started on Outsiders. So I present to you my attempt to make speed matter:

Raptors

http://img187.imageshack.us/img187/9805/smallerraptorqf3.png

We soar on wings of fire! - Unknown demonic Raptor

HD: d10

Requirements
Alignment: Any Chaotic or Evil
BAB: +5
Feats: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative, Improved Overrun
Skills: Tumble +6
Special: Must have at least once performed some activity that would be considered insane by others to experience sheer speed, or been initiated by other Raptors. Such acts include jumping off a cliff or other acts of similar semi-insanity.

{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+0|Bonus Feat; Tremendous Charge; Fleet of Foot +5
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+0|Bonus Feat; Fleet of Foot +10
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+1|Fleet of Foot +20
4th|+4|+4|+4|+1|Skirmish (+1d6); Fleet of Foot +30
5th|+5|+4|+4|+1|Cut Them Down!; Fleet of Foot +40
6th|+6|+5|+5|+2|Fleet of Foot +50
7th|+7|+5|+5|+2|Skirmish (+1d6, +1 AC); Fleet of Foot +60
8th|+8|+6|+6|+2|Lay Them Low!; Fleet of Foot +70
9th|+9|+6|+6|+3|Fleet of Foot +80
10th|+10|+7|+7|+3|Fearsome Speed; Skirmish (+2d6, +1 AC); Fleet of Foot +90
[/table]
Skill Points per level: 2 + Int Modifier (See Scouts for skill list)

Bonus Feat: At 1st and 2nd level, the Raptor gains a bonus feat. They can choose from Rush*, Run, Improved Disarm, Improved Knockdown, Improved Trip, Fly-By Attack, Run-By Attack*, or Extreme Rush*.
Tremendous Charge (Ex): A Raptor is a master of speed, and as they can move faster on their toes, they also learn to master their reflexes. The best Raptors have been known to be able to turn on a coin's edge. For a run-of-the-mill Raptor, however, this manifests as the ability of being able to change direction when charging once per class level. For example, if a third level Raptor is charging at an opponent, they can change the direction of their path three times before continuing in a straight line towards their opponent.
Fleet of Foot (Ex): Over time, the Raptor unlocks great strength and speed within their tendons and sinews. Their leg muscles stretch, their lungs expand, and their feet grow callouses tougher than the thickest leather. Their body becomes built to run. Add the bonus stated to the Raptor's speed. These bonuses replace each other, and are not cumulative (I.E. A Raptor that is 7th level and advances to 8th loses his 60 foot bonus and gains the 70 foot bonus). This bonus applies to all methods of speed, and, if a creature has a speed dependent on base speed, this counts as a part of their base speed (So a creature that moves at double base speed when flying with a normal speed of 30 feet and a bonus of 70 feet moves at 200 feet per move action when flying). This stacks with Fast Movement.
Skirmish (Ex): Raptors take advantage of their speed. They learn the arts of taking advantage of the element of surprise, and move with such speed and tenacity that few opponents can resist their slaughterous advance. To represent this, Raptors gain the Skirmish ability at 4th level, and advance it at 7th and 10th. If they already have the Skirmish ability, they advance it as if they had gained the next step of it.
Cut Them Down! (Ex): The Raptor begins to learn the ways of bringing down their enemy using their tremendous speed. When charging, Raptors may ready a single weapon against their foe. This allows them to deal double damage on their first attack in a round, so long as they move towards a foe to do so. I.E. If a Raptor readies a spear, he may plant it firmly into his enemy's ribs due to his incredible speed, causing it to deal 2d8+twice their Strength modifier instead of only 1d8+their Strength modifier.
Lay Them Low! (Ex): The art of hunting an enemy becomes key to the life of a Raptor. They learn swiftly how to tear down their enemies while moving at top speed. They effectively have the Pounce special quality. If they use Cut Them Down! in conjunction with this, only the first attack deals double damage.
Fearsome Speed (Ex): The Raptor achieves the highest state of speed-filled fury, and this fills all who would oppose them with terrible dread. Their sheer power and rage in the heat of battle fills those around them with the terrible knowledge that they are likely to be next. Any opponent who sees a Raptor attack in battle that are within their range of movement must make a save or become panicked for one minute and flee from them at top speed. Whether they make the save or not, they are immune to that Raptor's Fearsome Speed for 24 hours. The DC of this save is 10 + 1/2 the Raptor's character level + their Cha modifier.

Playing a Raptor
Raptors are speed made incarnate. Fast, wild, and often violent, they typically embody chaos, and usually fall on the more evil side of the spectrum. Their great speed and rush of adrenaline cause them to often commit bloody and rage-filled acts, which typically prohibits good characters from becoming Raptors, but those filled with righteous fury do exist. Any character who becomes a Raptor is either foolhardy, mad, brave, or a combination of those. Typically, they are a little of each. Raptors are impatient, often terse and blunt, rarely willing to undergo nuance, but they make up for this on the battlefield. For, while rough and uncivilized in civilized company, they are a spear-tip on the battlefield, which pierces the enemy. Armies that have Raptor Brigades often send them in as shock troops, to sow disarray amongst the enemy with blinding displays of speed, before disappearing as quickly as they came, leaving nothing but bodies and blood in their wake.

Raptors in Society
Raptors are not typically members of any society. Often far too chaotic to live a normal life, Raptors usually live on the fringes of the world in bands or groups that hunt animals in savage and bloody, totally carnal rage. Some of the darker groups often hunt merchants, and fearful stories even mention a few resorting to cannibalism and demon worship, making themselves truly fearsome by doing so. These demons invariably take female slaves kidnapped in raids or, in cases of powerful demons, female Raptors as their chosen mates, and breed with them, creating truly monstrous creatures: Raptors of tremendous physical power, who move at unparalleled speeds and snatch up their victims like pebbles from the shore, and skip them across rocks. For these reasons, Raptors are usually feared. However, good and neutral Raptors do exist, with good Raptors typically freedom-loving wanderers, while the neutral Raptors are anarchic, seeking to live outside law and by their own rules.

New Feats

Some feats above were marked with asterisks, and are described here.

Rush: Requirements: Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Run; Benefit: The character gains the ability to perform a Rush. A Rush attack is a special combat move, initiated the same way as a Bull Rush. The character hits them at full force and keeps on moving. They get a +4 bonus from the Improved Bull Rush feat, and for every 10 feet they move beyond 30 feet beforehand, they gain a +2 bonus. If they succeed, they push their opponent back, and move with them, for a distance of up to their remaining amount of movement. If they hit something, their opponent takes 1d6 damage for each 10 foot increment traveled plus the character's strength bonus (So for 20 feet of distance with a strength of 16, they suffer 2d6+3 damage). If the Raptor does not push them into something by the end of their movement, their opponent falls prone in their nearest square and skids another five foot square away. They suffer 1d6 damage from the skidding, which is negated by a Reflex save (DC 10 + 1/2 the Raptor's level + their Strength modifier). However, there is a risk to Rushing. If the opponent beats the rushing character in the check, the momentum catches up with them, and they take 1d6 damage per 10 feet they moved before then, plus their opponent's strength modifier, and are tossed prone into the nearest square.

Run-By Attack: Prerequisite: A land speed of 60 feet or more; Benefit: This feat functions as the Fly-By Attack feat, but for attacks made on foot.

Extreme Rush: Prerequisites: A speed of at least 60 feet or more in one form or another; Rush; Benefit: The character can now perform a far more effective Rush, gaining a +4 bonus per 10 foot increment instead of +2. They are also allowed a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 their opponent's character level + their Strength modifier) to halve the damage they take if they fail a knockback check (As unlikely as this now is).

Equipment
Raptors do not exclusively claim the following devices, but they extensively make use of them typically whenever possible. The more expensive items are usually only seen in the hands of those at the head of a well-funded army.

Wings of Fire
A large pack slung over the back of the user, this item creates two long trails of flame that appear much as wings of fire when in use. It is through these, Raptors earn their names. The pack grants the user the ability to fly at their base land speed with Average maneuverability for an unlimited amount of time. Better versions exist at higher prices. Price: 36,000 GP (Average), 56,000 (Good), 110,000 (Perfect)

Sticking Spear
The Sticking Spear is a nasty piece of Raptor weaponry. When used in conjunction with a charge, this spear doubles its damage. If used with Cut Them Down!, this triples the damage. If the Sticking Spear is used in this fashion, it remains embedded in the opponent and deals 1d8 damage per round. This means you are effectively disarmed, but the Spear can be recovered by taking a move action next turn. Most Raptors, for this reason, carry a sword when bringing it. Price: 500 GP

Crushing Boots
Crushing Boots are a set of boots lined underneath with magical knives that extend as they pounce, causing their opponents to be brought down hard. If worn by someone making a Knockdown attack or Rush attack, they are allowed to make one extra attack as their opponent is pinned by their boots and they are free to use their arms. Price: 10,000 GP

Helm of Fear
This Helm is covered all over in markings of fear, carved to look like an angry and malevolent demon, shooting terror into the eyes of their enemy. Whomever wears this helm gains a +2 on any Extraordinary Fear abilities, such as Frightful Presence or Fearsome Speed. This does not enhance spells or spell-like abilities. Price: 5,000 GP

Sample Raptor

Cyprus CR 16
Half-Fiend Human Scout 7/Raptor 6
CE Medium Outsider (Human, Native)
Init +9; Senses Darkvision 60 ft; Listen +16, Spot +16;
Languages Abyssal; Common; Draconic; Infernal.
------------------------------------------------------------------------
AC 20 (+5 Armor, +4 Dex, +1 Natural)
HP 7d8+6d10+39 (103); DR 10/Magic
Immune Poison
Resist Acid 10, Cold 10, Electricity 10, Fire 10; SR 23
Fort +11, Ref +14, Will +4
Speed 120 ft; 120 ft Fly
Melee Gut-Wrencher +18 (1d8+7)
Space 5 ft; Reach 5 ft.
Base Atk +11; Grp +17
Atk Options Skirmish, Smite Good 1/day, Spell-like Abilities (See Half-Fiend)
Abilities Str 22, Dex 18, Con 17, Int 16, Wis 10, Cha 10
Feats Dodge, Extreme Rush, Fly-By Attack (CF), Improved Bull Rush, Improved Initiative (CF), Improved Overrun, Mobility, Rush (CF)
Skills Hide +14, Knowledge (Geography) +13, Knowledge (Nature) +13, Listen +16, Move Silently +20, Sense Motive +10, Spot +16, Survival +16, Swim +16, Tumble +20, Use Rope +14
Possessions Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Gut-Wrencher (+1 Unholy Sticking Spear), +1 Mithril Chainmail, Two Potions of Cure Moderate Wounds, 1100 GP of assorted gold, gems, and trinkets in his lair
Battle Fortitude (Ex): +1 bonus to Fort and Initiative
Cut Them Down! (Ex): See above.
Evasion (Ex): See the Monk class feature.
Fast Movement (Ex): +10 ft.
Flawless Stride (Ex): Cyprus can move through any terrain that impairs movement without suffering any impairment or taking damage.
Fleet of Foot (Ex): +50 ft.
Skirmish (Ex): +3d6, +2 AC. See ability description
Trackless Step (Ex): Cyprus cannot be tracked in natural surroundings.
Trapfinding (Ex): See the Rogue class feature
Tremendous Charge (Ex): See above.
Uncanny Dodge (Ex): Cyprus is never caught flat-footed
Hook "Cut their throats! In the name of Graz'zt, I demand that they die!"

Cyprus is a Half-Fiend, sired by a union between a female Raptor and a Glabrezu. With the unholy blood running through his veins, it didn't take long for Cyprus to take his place in the pack, or for the leader to send him off to start his own. This was because the leader saw great things in Cyprus. He would bring great success to any pack he lead. He would also oust anyone else for the spot of leadership. Cyprus now leads his own pack of Raptors called the Children of the Six-Fingered Hand, all of whom worship Graz'zt as a god. Graz'zt is pleased for the followers, but finds them to be a little too chaotic to be anything major. Instead, whenever some greater purpose appears, Graz'zt will often send messages in dreams to Cyprus that he and his followers are needed to be the blunt instrument used to weaken the victim, before a blade is plunged into their heart. Until then, Cyprus raids merchant caravans with his fellow Raptors, who use their incredible speed to tear apart even the most heavily guarded of wagon trains, capturing as much as killing to later sacrifice the slaves they take to Graz'zt.

Base scores used to create Cyprus were 15 Str, 13 Dex, 14 Con, 12 Int, 10 Wis, 8 Cha, which were later modified based on level and from the Half-Fiend template.

Finerty
2007-09-26, 01:40 AM
I like it! It looks like an outrageous PrC for the Velocimancer I made. No spellcasting progression, but a combat bent on the same speed-loving concept. Very nice.

Axelgear
2007-09-26, 06:15 PM
Why thank you :smallbiggrin: I like your Velocimancer idea too.

Solarin
2007-09-28, 10:17 PM
First off: Excellent concept. If the DM allows it, my next character is SO going to take this one to 10.

That being said, I am not seeing any rules for Tremendous Charge ability your class table mentions in your post, and the SRD doesn't appear to have an ability of that name. Did you forget to add it or is that from a non-OGL book?

Volug
2007-09-28, 10:43 PM
wow... this is cool. :smalltongue:

Though i'm a bit confused, is it a race or class?
i can understand race.
but if its a class can you elaborte or show me the part where it mentions it? i might have missed it. Cause i'm wondering how you can become one, do you get transformed or something along those lines? or does it have something to do with machines?

THANK YOU!

Rating
9.5/10

AtomicKitKat
2007-09-29, 04:16 AM
Minor plug: Feel free to check my sig for ideas. I think our 2 PrCs would make for one fearsomely fast foe for frightening friends and family.:smalltongue:

Caewil
2007-09-29, 04:30 AM
For the wings of fire, what's the manouverability? Average? Good? Perfect?

Mr. Moogle
2007-09-29, 08:44 AM
If there's any way i could thank you more for this prestige class just let me know:smallbiggrin:. I have always wanted some movement-speed prestige class (other than the scout :smallyuk:) this is a perfect example of it. :smalltongue: do you mind if i yoink?

TK-Squared
2007-09-29, 09:22 AM
Armies that have Raptor Brigades often send them in as shock troops

How appropriate you mention that! This class just looks to be a perfect candidate for the whole Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combination, especially with Run by Attack and such a large attack speed; definetly on a charge for that additional mulitplier!

On the other hand, it looks to be a good class. I like it, even if it can be exploited. Running around at speed is always good fun.

Axelgear
2007-09-29, 09:36 AM
How appropriate you mention that! This class just looks to be a perfect candidate for the whole Power Attack/Leap Attack/Shock Trooper combination, especially with Run by Attack and such a large attack speed; definetly on a charge for that additional mulitplier!

On the other hand, it looks to be a good class. I like it, even if it can be exploited. Running around at speed is always good fun.

Well, thank you very much. I'm glad you like it. The class is a teensy bit exploitable but unavoidably so. At least it's not another Incantrix, right?

First off: Excellent concept. If the DM allows it, my next character is SO going to take this one to 10.

That being said, I am not seeing any rules for Tremendous Charge ability your class table mentions in your post, and the SRD doesn't appear to have an ability of that name. Did you forget to add it or is that from a non-OGL book?

Whoops! My bad! I'll add that in shortly, thanks for pointing that out.

Though i'm a bit confused, is it a race or class?
i can understand race.
but if its a class can you elaborte or show me the part where it mentions it? i might have missed it. Cause i'm wondering how you can become one, do you get transformed or something along those lines? or does it have something to do with machines?

It's a class. It has to do with attaining pure speed. Very Zen. To become a Raptor can happen any number of ways, really, it's up to you how you want to describe it. Featured here, the Raptor is just someone who is attaining the pinnacle of what a person can reach. And if you're going to argue that it's unrealistic, I can point out you're talking about a world where dragons routinely plot global domination.

For the wings of fire, what's the manouverability? Average? Good? Perfect?

Thanks for pointing out that I forgot that. It's Average Maneuverability, but I may put in models that have higher maneuverabilities for a higher price.

If there's any way i could thank you more for this prestige class just let me know:smallbiggrin:. I have always wanted some movement-speed prestige class (other than the scout :smallyuk:) this is a perfect example of it. :smalltongue: do you mind if i yoink?

Go ahead and use it, just put a small note in the character's sheet who the PrC was designed by. That's all I ask. I am just so happy to see so many people like my character. I'm more than tempted to design another around a concept after a reception like this.

Penguinizer
2007-09-29, 09:59 AM
Combine this with white raven charging cheese.

Still, I'm liking the idea.

Volug
2007-09-29, 10:50 AM
It's a class. It has to do with attaining pure speed. Very Zen. To become a Raptor can happen any number of ways, really, it's up to you how you want to describe it. Featured here, the Raptor is just someone who is attaining the pinnacle of what a person can reach. And if you're going to argue that it's unrealistic, I can point out you're talking about a world where dragons routinely plot global domination.

Thanks, and technically EVERYTHING is realistic when it comes to DnD. So no arguements here.

GOOD JOB!