PDA

View Full Version : Mini Painting: JUST DO IT!

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-07, 12:20 PM
Edit: Pictures should work now for everyone. I hosted them on Flickr instead of Imgur now. I'll leave the external link just in case though.

Hey everyone, back when I started 5e I got a HeroForge mini created for The Drow Pirate Roberts. I was always afraid to paint it because I'm not artistic in almost any area, so it's still sitting on my table black as night without so much as a primer layer to cast some shadows. I changed my mind when I decided to order Larz Burnbalm, and I decided that I would just commit to painting it as soon as I got it. I have some old HeroScape minis, so I primed a couple of those just for a bit of practice to get to know how much paint to have on the brush and all that. Then I painted Larz just in time for our game tonight. This was my first experience with mini painting, and while it's not great I'm very pleased with it. So much like Shia Labeef would say, JUST DO IT!

Long story short, I want to encourage anyone like me who is scared to mess up to just start painting. I'd also like this to be a place for tips that others with more experience can share. I'll post some of my initial observations and advice below as well as pictures of Larz.

Use a wet palette! This is the biggest thing I can possibly think of. You can buy one online for like $10 or make your own using a Tupperware container, parchment paper (not wax paper), and some paper towels. Look up YouTube videos for all the benefits as well as how to make your own. In short this allows you to mix paints and keep them wet for weeks on end if you do it right. It's a lifesaver if you're pretty busy like me and you also don't want to have to remix your paints every time.
Don't make it too wet or too dry. From experience, there's balance here with wet palettes. Too dry and you're essentially just mixing on paper. Your paint will dry out like normal. Too wet and your paint becomes ultra thin and watery overnight. The colors all run together and you have to start from scratch. I still don't get a perfect palette every time, but when I have I've been able to keep paint for three weeks or more without mold or runny paints.
Buy simple colors and then mix any extras you need, at least for beginners. There are tons of miniature paints and they're fairly expensive for what you get. So don't feel like you need to spend $100 on paint just to do 2-3 minis with the colors you want. Here's a list of the paints I bought and used for Larz (and will use in the future on every mini): White, Black, Yellow, Red, Blue, and a dark wash. Brown, Flesh tone, Metallic Gold, and Metallic Iron/Silver are optional, but I also got those. Learning to mix colors is fun, and it helps you understand/explore color theory and what goes well together.
Paint in thin layers/thin your paint with water. This helps preserve detail on your mini. Don't use thick globs of paint, because it'll absolutely kill the details and make your mini look pretty rough. Take your time and to several layers for each color.
Paint outside the lines then go back and touch up. As a caveat, you do want to be careful not to make too much extra work for yourself. If you get black on an area that should be yellow you'll likely have to do an extra 2-3 coats to get the right color. Still, don't spend all your time trying to paint perfectly inside the lines when you know you're gonna come back and touch up later. This is especially true for your base coats.
Pay attention to how you mix your colors. This will allow you to mix the same color with those ratios of paint in the future. For example if your wet palette drys out or gets too runny, you can just use the same mix of colors to get an almost identical color.
Have fun! I've found that this is just really relaxing and fun, so enjoy it and don't stress over doing everything perfectly. I'm a perfectionist by nature so I know a thing or two about that. Throw on some music, a podcast, or a show that you don't have to watch too closely. Chill out, order some food, and take your D&D to the next level.

I'll end up doing a tiny bit more touch up in the end, but he's pretty much done!

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4878/40054586123_555877738a_b.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7877/40054586103_809293025c_z.jpg

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7875/46967334212_71092a2d4b_b.jpg

External Link if Images Aren't Showing for You (https://imgur.com/a/ejLixz9)

Chronos
2019-02-07, 01:10 PM
Your images don't work, for some reason.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-07, 01:17 PM
Your images don't work, for some reason.

Hmm, it's working for me. Let me see what I can do. Is anyone else having this problem?

MaxWilson
2019-02-07, 01:23 PM
Hmm, it's working for me. Let me see what I can do. Is anyone else having this problem?

Nope. I see them after I click on the spoiler button.

Ganymede
2019-02-07, 01:23 PM
Pics don't work.

Jophiel
2019-02-07, 01:40 PM
Imgur doesn't play nice with this forum for embedded images.

I'm all for getting into there and painting stuff with the additional knowledge that painting for tabletops and painting for display/competition are two different things. Don't be intimidated by the quality of stuff you see online because a lot of that isn't intended for knocking around a battle mat. And, honestly, even a mediocre quality handpainted fig is usually better than a machine prepainted one and definitely looks nicer than an unpainted miniature.

n00b
2019-02-07, 01:53 PM
I think you're selling yourself short when you say you don't have any artistic talent for this. Those are really nice. I've often considered trying to paint a mini myself.

Question... For the supplies would you recommend going somewhere like a Hobby Lobby that probably has a lot of stuff I don't need? Or would a place like Nerdvana here in Jackson have the more specific stuff that would be more useful?

Edit: For those not in this area Nerdvana is the FLGS.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-07, 02:10 PM
I think you're selling yourself short when you say you don't have any artistic talent for this. Those are really nice. I've often considered trying to paint a mini myself.

Question... For the supplies would you recommend going somewhere like a Hobby Lobby that probably has a lot of stuff I don't need? Or would a place like Nerdvana here in Jackson have the more specific stuff that would be more useful?

Edit: For those not in this area Nerdvana is the FLGS.

Whoa, do I know you?/Do you know me? I'm guessing you dropped Nerdvana because you know me...

Anyway, thanks! I would recommend Mini specific paint from a gaming store or online. I haven't used regular acrylic paints, but I hear that they don't hold up as well. As far as brushes go I got a pack of like 20 different ones for minis. If I had to narrow it down though I'd just keep a couple 10/0, 2/0, 0, and 1. Most of my bigger ones I got end up just being used for mixing or nothing at all.

n00b
2019-02-07, 02:41 PM
Whoa, do I know you?/Do you know me? I'm guessing you dropped Nerdvana because you know me...

Anyway, thanks! I would recommend Mini specific paint from a gaming store or online. I haven't used regular acrylic paints, but I hear that they don't hold up as well. As far as brushes go I got a pack of like 20 different ones for minis. If I had to narrow it down though I'd just keep a couple 10/0, 2/0, 0, and 1. Most of my bigger ones I got end up just being used for mixing or nothing at all.

No, I don't think we know each other. :smallsmile: I recall in a different post about someone looking for an AL group in either the Franklin or Murfreesboro area you commented on that you said you were near Jackson. So really, I'm not stalking you. :smallwink:

I bet the girl that works at Nerdvana could point out some stuff as well since I think she paints minis.

Jophiel
2019-02-07, 03:24 PM
Go with actual paint for miniatures if you can. It has a much higher pigment count so you can thin its consistency with water for smoother application without needing ten coats of paint to get coverage. You can make craft paint work but you likely won't enjoy it.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-07, 03:43 PM
No, I don't think we know each other. :smallsmile: I recall in a different post about someone looking for an AL group in either the Franklin or Murfreesboro area you commented on that you said you were near Jackson. So really, I'm not stalking you. :smallwink:

I bet the girl that works at Nerdvana could point out some stuff as well since I think she paints minis.

Haha, gotcha. Small world. Yeah I live here. You should definitely try it out. Like I said, I'd recommend starting with just the primary colors, black, white, and maybe brown or metallic. Get a wash too. I can't explain how much a nice wash adds to a finished mini. You can make your own, but I didn't want to bother with that for my primary wash. Beyond that you just need a few brushes, the stuff for a wet palette (they won't have a pre-made one at Nerdvana I'm almost certain), and a cork or something similar to help hold your mini while you paint. I use the cap to an old gin bottle because it's the perfect size for me, but anything works.

JoeJ
2019-02-07, 06:51 PM
Something that is worth considering is using artist's oils. Don't be afraid of the name, they're actually some of the easiest paints to get good results with. The advantages are a long working time, and it's very easy to mix any color you want. It's also easier to get them to go where you want and only where you want than any other paints I've tried. The main disadvantage is a long drying time - on the order of several days.

Whatever kind of paint you go with, I'd strongly suggest going to Hobby Lobby, or the equivalent, and getting a cheap color wheel to look at while you're trying to mix the color you want.

Laserlight
2019-02-07, 07:07 PM
Additional tips:

1. You want fairly strong, contrasting colors and bold patterns. If you try for lots of small spots of different shades (eg camouflage), you'll end up with something bland that you might as well have just painted all one color. (Speckles can be done but if you're a beginner, leave it till later). You want something that you can see from three feet away, not three inches.
2. Basecoat. Dark helps conceal spots you missed with paint. White helps show those spots you missed, and makes the colors a bit brighter. Either way, basecoat.
3. Final wash: I mix a bit of brown ink with Future acrylic floor polish and give a light coat to the entire figure. That ties the colors together, deepens the shadows a little more, and is an easy finish. Look up the technique for more detail.
4. Put a touch of dishwashing soap in the water you're using to thin your paints. That will help it flow more smoothly and get into small crevices.
5. Good strong light is a must.
6. Find something to hold the mini while you're working on it. Blue tack it to the cap of a coke bottle or something like that.

DrowPiratRobrts
2019-02-08, 10:09 AM
Something that is worth considering is using artist's oils. Don't be afraid of the name, they're actually some of the easiest paints to get good results with. The advantages are a long working time, and it's very easy to mix any color you want. It's also easier to get them to go where you want and only where you want than any other paints I've tried. The main disadvantage is a long drying time - on the order of several days.

Whatever kind of paint you go with, I'd strongly suggest going to Hobby Lobby, or the equivalent, and getting a cheap color wheel to look at while you're trying to mix the color you want.

Additional tips:

1. You want fairly strong, contrasting colors and bold patterns. If you try for lots of small spots of different shades (eg camouflage), you'll end up with something bland that you might as well have just painted all one color. (Speckles can be done but if you're a beginner, leave it till later). You want something that you can see from three feet away, not three inches.
2. Basecoat. Dark helps conceal spots you missed with paint. White helps show those spots you missed, and makes the colors a bit brighter. Either way, basecoat.
3. Final wash: I mix a bit of brown ink with Future acrylic floor polish and give a light coat to the entire figure. That ties the colors together, deepens the shadows a little more, and is an easy finish. Look up the technique for more detail.
4. Put a touch of dishwashing soap in the water you're using to thin your paints. That will help it flow more smoothly and get into small crevices.
5. Good strong light is a must.
6. Find something to hold the mini while you're working on it. Blue tack it to the cap of a coke bottle or something like that.

Thanks for the tips! The base coat colors definitely makes sense now. I used white primer and it was helpful for exactly that. Showing me where I hadn’t painted yet. I also found that it made the details easier to see in the light than when it was all black, because once it was white I could see the shadows cast by my lamp light.

Do you recommend doing another base coat over your primer or is that what you were talking about?

Jophiel
2019-02-08, 10:21 AM
Keep your final color scheme in mind when deciding on a primer and base coat. Painting yellow over black primer is an awful experience.