PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Oath of the Sand paladin subclass help

Deadfire182
2019-02-07, 12:23 PM
Hello all. This is my first homebrew, and it's one I've been working on for a good bit. I love paladins, and I am about to be playing in a desert based game, so I decided to make a subclass specifically for the desert. I'm a little concerned about ability balance/flavor, and would love to get some outside input on it and what I should change/keep.

https://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BkI0bIRm4

DeTess
2019-02-07, 12:29 PM
I don't think that link is correct. Just from eye-balling it it seems you linked the lication on your own computer, ratger than an external service we could access through the internet.

Deadfire182
2019-02-07, 12:36 PM
I don't think that link is correct. Just from eye-balling it it seems you linked the lication on your own computer, ratger than an external service we could access through the internet.

Thank you for the info, I fixed it so it should now be viewable :)

MagneticKitty
2019-02-07, 01:06 PM
Would have liked to see heat (climate) resistance sooner. Part of the lv 20 ability is off the page and cannot be read. Duplicating magic items (plus one ect) seems more forge cleric flavor and is irrelevant in a campaign with more magic items.

Deadfire182
2019-02-07, 02:31 PM
Would have liked to see heat (climate) resistance sooner. Part of the lv 20 ability is off the page and cannot be read. Duplicating magic items (plus one ect) seems more forge cleric flavor and is irrelevant in a campaign with more magic items.

Paladins have a weird subclass progression system where they don't get any "permanent" abilities until 7th level, which is usually their aura. I guess I could sneak in a 3rd level ribbon? I wanted a unique channel divinity feature, so I came up with the armaments. I would love to hear some more suggestions for it though! As for the 20th level abiity being off the page, I'm seeing it normally, but here's the ability in question:

Desert Storm
By 20th level, you have fully embraced the desert and can call upon its fearsome power. As an action, you undergo atransformation that lasts for 1 minute. While in this form, you gain the following benefits:

You gain immunity to bludgeoning, piercing, or slashing damage
You gain a flying (hover) speed equal to twice your walking speed
You may use your Pillars of the Sphinx as a bonus action, and you can use them an unlimited amount of times
Your weapon attacks deal 2d8 additional necrotic damage

Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you complete a long rest

sandmote
2019-02-07, 02:51 PM
Sandstorm looks a bit over tuned. I'd either cut the blindness short or reduce the damage slightly (half your paladin level + your charisma bonus?). Blindness/Deafness can hit up to eight targets (with a 9th level spell slot) within the same range without dealing damage.

Scarab Armaments should have a maximum duration (I suggest 1 hour), and you should probably rephrase the following:

to two weapons that take the form of your choice. One of these may be a shield.
I'm suggesting ending the description with "you can replace one of the weapons with a shield."

Pillars of the Sphinx is completely unorthodox, but is likely fine at that level; it will probably only really be used as cover or for tactical purposes. Might be weak enough to be used as a bonus action.

Everything else looks reasonable to me.

Deadfire182
2019-02-07, 03:31 PM
Sandstorm looks a bit over tuned. I'd either cut the blindness short or reduce the damage slightly (half your paladin level + your charisma bonus?). Blindness/Deafness can hit up to eight targets (with a 9th level spell slot) within the same range without dealing damage.

Scarab Armaments should have a maximum duration (I suggest 1 hour), and you should probably rephrase the following:

I'm suggesting ending the description with "you can replace one of the weapons with a shield."

Pillars of the Sphinx is completely unorthodox, but is likely fine at that level; it will probably only really be used as cover or for tactical purposes. Might be weak enough to be used as a bonus action.

Everything else looks reasonable to me.

Thanks for the input! I've lowered the damage on sandstorm to what you suggested, as I agree, it was a bit overtuned. For the scarab armaments, the duration was lowered to one hour as well, although i think maybe 4 hours would work? Also, is the +1/+1 a good choice, or should it be charisma mod in damage rolls?

As for the 7th level ability, I had you able to use them as a bonus action when you activate the level 20 ability. I feel using them as a bonus action may incentivate a ranged style where all you do is shoot, move, and raise cover.

Again, thank you for the response

sandmote
2019-02-07, 04:00 PM
For the scarab armaments, the duration was lowered to one hour as well, although i think maybe 4 hours would work? Also, is the +1/+1 a good choice, or should it be charisma mod in damage rolls?
Traditionally, 1 hour is the time period for abilities meant to be used in a dungeon. Based on you saying "the duration was lowered," I would like to admit I missed any previously listed duration. Sorry.

Given that the ability is likely not going to come up too often, 4 hours should be fine. The magical bonus is likely fine.

As for the 7th level ability, I had you able to use them as a bonus action when you activate the level 20 ability. I feel using them as a bonus action may incentivate a ranged style where all you do is shoot, move, and raise cover.
I fail to see why that wouldn't fit a desert warrior. Particularly given that you can raise a maximum of 5 pillars a rest.

But I suppose that if the enemy couldn't approach you for some reason, having this take an action might be reasonable. I had the image of summoning the pillars in order to protect squishier allies, which isn't necessarily what you intended or how the ability would be used.

Again, thank you for the response
Hey; its a good idea.

Deadfire182
2019-02-07, 05:49 PM
Actually, protecting squishy allies and ranged attack cover would be a great fit, I never even thought about that. Bonus action it is then!

The duration for the Scarab armamnets before was "until the end of your next long rest", with the idea that you would sacrifice your area channel divinity for the weapons. 1 hour is probably good, since channel divinity recharges on a short rest.

Also, don't mean to bother you more, but do you have any comments on the spell list?

MagneticKitty
2019-02-07, 06:02 PM
Also odd that you summon 2 weapons.. But paladin and dual weilding don't mesh well.. I guess you could do two hand axes. Would be cool to maybe add charisma in fire damage to one weapon for a minute maybe. Or if making it a plus one make it deal fire instead of the normal b/p/s. I'll have to look at base paladin and compare more when I'm not at work

sandmote
2019-02-07, 11:21 PM
Also, don't mean to bother you more, but do you have any comments on the spell list?
Well, to bother me more, you'd first have to bother me. :smalltongue:

The only spell I think could potentially be problematic would be hex. I don't think it is any serious issue, and its a nice benefit for dual wielding paladins.

Also odd that you summon 2 weapons.. But paladin and dual weilding don't mesh well.. I guess you could do two hand axes. Would be cool to maybe add charisma in fire damage to one weapon for a minute maybe. Or if making it a plus one make it deal fire instead of the normal b/p/s. I'll have to look at base paladin and compare more when I'm not at work
I'm not sure either option is bad, given the class does get another buff for dual wielding.

My personal preference is for the created weapons, given I think it has a bit more flavor and is nicely flexible. It also reminds me of quasi-historical and mythological stories where someone pulls an army "seemingly conjured from the desert itself," in order to win.

Deadfire182
2019-02-08, 09:38 AM
Thanks for all the help! You're right about hex, since it applies damage on every hit it could make for a good dual wielding paladin. I think this subclass could work well with either Str or Dex, which I really like as well.

MagneticKitty
2019-02-08, 03:51 PM
They don't get the dual weilder fighting type tho. So will always be meh without a dip out