PDA

View Full Version : Jungle Rapture and Awaken

Ruethgar
2019-02-07, 04:36 PM
What would the iteraction between these two be if any? Would the tree have two souls? Would the Awakened Tree know that it would potentially cease to exist with a Remove Curse and have the option to resist?

ericgrau
2019-02-07, 04:56 PM
You mean to turn a creature into a tree via jungle's rapture, and then awaken that tree?

Hmmm... unclear, but I think this is like PAO stacking and other spell stacking and doesn't work. But others might argue that it does. It's a matter of are you targeting the original creature or are you targeting the transformed state. Because it's a permanents spell not an instantaneous spell, and only persists due to magic. His "true" form is still the original creature.

If you allow awaken to work, then you also run into dysfunctions with all kinds of other similar spell combos where the original part of the chain gets removed and makes the 2nd part wonky.

Ignoring all that and treating permanent + instantaneous the same as instantaneous + instantaneous (as some others will interpret)... uncertain. You could call it one soul and the original creature remembers everything that happened to it (with a blank spot where it was mindless). Or two souls and the first one is effectively in an unintelligent coma until the 2nd one is removed. Then once the first effect is removed the 2nd might remain. So then he's an "awakened" elf or some such whose mind is still the 2nd mind not the original mind. But his soul is still in there. You may have to kill him to get the original back. Assuming an awakened tree doesn't have a soul, that part is gone forever. If it does... then I suppose you choose which one to raise and get the original creature and/or the awakened tree. Or both I think, as 2 distinct raised creatures no longer in the same body. The tree will need a true rez, as its true body is absent. I also think the awakened tree with his new sentience would have no memory of his previous mind and wouldn't know about it unless told. If someone tried to raise "Larry", the name of the awakened tree, you'd raise the tree in awakened tree form. If you tried to raise "the party elf", you'd get the original elf, and much confusion if the party didn't know about his original identity. All of this is undefined in the rules though and you might run it different ways too.

PoeticallyPsyco
2019-02-07, 09:25 PM
That sounds like a really cool custom-race/template, a character with both the soul of a humanoid and the soul of a plant. It would make them highly resistant to mental effects, since very few spells would be able to effect both minds. Maybe borrow from intelligent magic item rules if the two souls are fighting for control, or perhaps from Ettins.