PDA

View Full Version : Bypassing Teleportation Blockers/Delayers (3.5)

flappeercraft
2019-02-08, 02:02 AM
So what methods do you know of reliably avoiding those in place? Say for instance Forbiddance, Dimensional Anchor, Anticipate Teleportation, etc. Some of those have SR but what about if they are cast as Supernatural Spells?

So far Wish is the only thing that I have found that would work for certain.

TalonOfAnathrax
2019-02-08, 04:51 AM
Cast "Wish".

Don't use Teleport: there are other ways of getting around fast that aren't technically Teleportation effects, and that can therefore avoid anti-Teleport defenses.
Wu Jen have a spell that lets you fly insanely fast (Cloud Chariot?), and Druids have a spell that's effectively Teleport but works by pushing you through the earth an at insane speed.

Arcanist
2019-02-08, 05:02 AM
While less than ideal, Shadow Walk is an okay spell in this regard.

Crake
2019-02-08, 05:21 AM
While less than ideal, Shadow Walk is an okay spell in this regard.

Forbiddance will stop even shadow walk, as it explicitly blocks "all planar travel", and not just teleportation effects.

Arcanist
2019-02-08, 05:24 AM
Forbiddance will stop even shadow walk, as it explicitly blocks "all planar travel", and not just teleportation effects.

2/3 ain't so bad.

Crake
2019-02-08, 05:41 AM
2/3 ain't so bad.

Well, I mean, dimensional anchor also uses the same language, and even explicitly prevents you from using shadow walk as one of it's examples, while anticipate teleportation is limited to purely teleportation abilities, so it's more like 1/3.

Arcanist
2019-02-08, 06:14 AM
Well, I mean, dimensional anchor also uses the same language, and even explicitly prevents you from using shadow walk as one of it's examples, while anticipate teleportation is limited to purely teleportation abilities, so it's more like 1/3.

Nah, it's still 2/3. The question very clearly asks for ways to avoid these places. Shadow Walk doesn't let you in, therefore you are avoiding the place in question.

Wish, Miracle, Reality Revision all work, and I think the only things that work. You could in theory just teleport near the desired location and use dispel magic, but that only really works for Forbiddence and Anticipate Teleport, and to be frank if your solution to being Dimension Anchored is dumping 5,000 xp to escape whatever hit you with it in the first place? You might have bigger issues.

Bronk
2019-02-08, 08:10 AM
Aside from the already mentioned Wish and to a lesser extent the already mentioned Master Earth...

To get out of a place warded by those various spells, they shouldn't be affecting you while you're in an antimagic field. The Initiate of Mystra feat allows you to cast in an antimagic field, so you should be able to 'port out just fine after passing a caster level check. It would also get you in if you're already somehow affected by dimensional anchor, and possibly the anticipate teleportation spells (since they must affect you while you're still on the astral plane), but not dimensional lock or the other spells.

Fizban
2019-02-08, 08:12 AM
Determine whether your enemies have See Invisibility active at all times. If they do not, then Gaseous Form while Invisible, possibly while Polymorphed into something small enough to evade Alarm. Put those together for the assassin thread.

Druids have a spell that's effectively Teleport but works by pushing you through the earth an at insane speed.
Specifically the spell is Master Earth, which in Spell Compendium is 7th level. It does have its own restrictions: material plane only and must be able to go around creature-made structures, so it can't actually get you into a place unless there's a natural cavern with an open path.

But otherwise no, anti-teleportation/planar travel is pretty well iron-clad. Which is intentional, because most of them are just character based justifications for things a DM probably wants to do anyway, which is keep restrictions on instant travel so they can have some amount of traditional dungeon content.

sleepyphoenixx
2019-02-08, 08:42 AM
You can get around some teleport blockers (Dimensional Lock and Anticipate Teleportation but not Forbiddance or Dimensional Anchor) with outbound teleports by blocking LoE, for example with Resilient Sphere.
Basically anything that's an area effect emanating from a point can be partially circumvented that way.
Most effects can of course also be dispelled.

Also Dismissal lets you escape through effects that block teleportation if you're not on your native plane.

flappeercraft
2019-02-08, 01:04 PM
After some brief research it seems to me that Mystic Shield would allow one to just ignore Greater Anticipate Teleportation and Forbiddance. Am I wrong?

Edit: Thinking about it I think there was some Golem in Draconomicon with old fashioned 3.0 style Magic Immunity but that also affected supernatural effects and you could shapechange into. I’m afb so I might be wrong with a detail or two. Would that work?