PDA

View Full Version : d20srd descriptive text- Flavor or secondary abilities?

AmeVulpes
2019-02-08, 02:45 AM
This will probably seem like a really silly question, but here I am.
I've been using d20srd for some fast-and-loose stuff when rolling encounters, loot, and, particularly, shop inventories. Now, the "Magic Shop Generator" has very descriptive text, which sometimes assigns items particular abilities they don't normally have. Some examples-

Staff of Charming (14 of 50 charges) (inscription provides clue to function) (4620 gp)
This heavy hawthorn staff also transmutes gold coins into pigeons.

Short Sword (Medium) (+1 weapon) (2310 gp)
Foes slain by this weapon fade and vanish without a trace.

- At first, I saw the descriptive text of a lot of these and assumed it was just fluffed, but then I realized how specific, and potentially (if situationally) useful they might be. I looked for a while, mostly through the d20srd and the dreaded dandwiki, as well as peeked through the DMG and PHB, didn't find anything. They don't seem to modify prices at all. Flavor or secondary abilities?

Ashtagon
2019-02-08, 03:03 AM
Although it is on the d20srd website, that magic shop generator is NOT part of the official SRD. Same goes for everything listed under the "d20 Tools" header.

Flavour? I'm not even sure I'd use that text as that, since it appears to grant powers not in RAW.

AmeVulpes
2019-02-08, 03:12 AM
Although it is on the d20srd website, that magic shop generator is NOT part of the official SRD. Same gopes ffor everything listed under the "d20 Tools" header.

Flavour? I'm not even sure I'd use that text as that, since it appears to grant powers not in RAW.

Seems like a weird choice, but I guess they needed to spice things up a little bit. Thanks for the input.

Saintheart
2019-02-08, 03:29 AM
Staff of Charming (14 of 50 charges) (inscription provides clue to function) (4620 gp)
This heavy hawthorn staff also transmutes gold coins into pigeons.

Welp, guess I've got my next "The DM Has Had It" gift for the party sorted now.

Ashtagon
2019-02-08, 03:37 AM
I suppose you could have the text inscribed on to the staff, as the creator's idea of a joke, or to mislead thieves.