PDA

View Full Version : Optimization The Drow only party....walking in the dark

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-08, 05:58 AM
Hello guys :)

I am trying to make a build to a party of 5-6 Drow PCs.

I am thinking on making everyone take Devil Sight at level 3 and no later.

The Ideas I have are:
A Tomelock EB blaster for utilities. Maybe a calastial warlock for some extra.

A Haxadin lv2 paly haxblade for super nova.

A sorclock buffer Divine soul

A sorclock machine gun

EDIT:

A Bardlock debuff and healing

A WarGloomRogue Stealth

And here I am stuck, I am looking for 1-2 more different classes/roles for the party.

I want to make them a block of darkness moving into the enemies like good old drow fighting tactics.

CTurbo
2019-02-08, 07:43 AM
I'd have at least one Gloom Stalker and either a Bard or Rogue with stealth expertise. Somebody needs a bat familiar or Chain pact with Imp.

Xspook
2019-02-08, 07:55 AM
I'd have at least one Gloom Stalker and either a Bard or Rogue with stealth expertise. Somebody needs a bat familiar or Chain pact with Imp.

Good suggestions.

I would go with a Bardlock. Extra healing, buffing, and you get to have a blast with Vicious Mockery, etc. "yech, you smell worse than my goblin slaves" / " you're so ugly you could be a human....Oh, you are a human" / "You're more stupid then the ass end of my drieder".

:amused:

HolyDraconus
2019-02-08, 08:04 AM
Remember, sage advice says you still need a torch.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-08, 09:07 AM
Great.

Good suggestions.

I would go with a Bardlock. Extra healing, buffing, and you get to have a blast with Vicious Mockery, etc. "yech, you smell worse than my goblin slaves" / " you're so ugly you could be a human....Oh, you are a human" / "You're more stupid then the ass end of my drieder".

:amused:
Sonds good

Remember, sage advice says you still need a torch.

????
I most of the time ignore what is not in the books or errata, but I will like to know what you are talking about have caught my attention.

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-08, 09:09 AM
????
I most of the time ignore what is not in the books or errata, but I will like to know what you are talking about have caught my attention.
I think he means the fact that darkvision only makes darkness dim light, not full vision. And if i recall correctly, dim light already impedes function. Perception checks for sure, attack/spells it might, AFB.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-08, 09:18 AM
I think he means the fact that darkvision only makes darkness dim light, not full vision. And if i recall correctly, dim light already impedes function. Perception checks for sure, attack/spells it might, AFB.

Well, it is as it always work, you see in full darkness at black and white so some stuff will need Perception.

Anyway, I wrote that all the PCs will have to take Devil Sight at level 3.

Devil’s Sight

You can see normally in darkness, both magical and nonmagical, to a distance of 120 feet.

There will be no need for a torch.

Anyway, using a torch when you have Darkvision is a wast of your stealth ability (not all the enemies have Darkvision).

Naanomi
2019-02-08, 09:37 AM
The Stalker feat also negates the need for a torch

MagneticKitty
2019-02-08, 04:08 PM
Drow ranger revised with beastmaster and a pet giant wolf spider would be cool.

Or a druid that takes only underdark animal forms, mostly spiders. Their elemental are shaped like: air/giant bat, fire/firenewt, earth/giant spider, water/basilisk

Tvtyrant
2019-02-08, 04:48 PM
Well, it is as it always work, you see in full darkness at black and white so some stuff will need Perception.

Anyway, I wrote that all the PCs will have to take Devil Sight at level 3.

There will be no need for a torch.

Anyway, using a torch when you have Darkvision is a wast of your stealth ability (not all the enemies have Darkvision).
I think if you are doing a pitch black setting and making a feat or abilty mandatory, you should just give it to the party for free.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-08, 05:06 PM
I think if you are doing a pitch black setting and making a feat or abilty mandatory, you should just give it to the party for free.

I don't mind giving them 2 free level of Warlock.

For now it is just an idea, I need to do a lot of stuff to make it.

I have an idea box for characters and games I want to run.

Tvtyrant
2019-02-08, 05:08 PM
I don't mind giving them 2 free level of Warlock.

For now it is just an idea, I need to do a lot of stuff to make it.

I have an idea box for characters and games I want to run.

You could just make that ability native to the Drow for this campaign. There are no actual benefits to sticking to the rules except simplicity, you are free to change them.

No brains
2019-02-08, 05:15 PM
Maybe it's really moist where they are walking. It's less that they don't need torches, but more that they can't use them. That's why someone hired a whole team of dorw mercenaries to go there.

Can't start a fire...
Can't start a fire without a spark.
These Drow's for hire...
Even if we're just walking in the dark. :smalltongue:

Idiotic jokes aside, dim light gives disadvantage on perception checks. Also dim light gives shadow monks, wood elves, and other nasty creatures additional darkness powers. Devil's Sight/ blindsight will make these creatures easier to see, but they will still get their benefits if there's dim light or darkness around them.

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-09, 08:41 AM
You could just make that ability native to the Drow for this campaign. There are no actual benefits to sticking to the rules except simplicity, you are free to change them.
I want the extra power from the 2 Warlock levels(I am also considering making it 3 for the pacts), I am going to make it free and to let them get the benefits from the first level of their class)

Maybe it's really moist where they are walking. It's less that they don't need torches, but more that they can't use them. That's why someone hired a whole team of dorw mercenaries to go there.

Can't start a fire...
Can't start a fire without a spark.
These Drow's for hire...
Even if we're just walking in the dark. :smalltongue:

Idiotic jokes aside, dim light gives disadvantage on perception checks. Also dim light gives shadow monks, wood elves, and other nasty creatures additional darkness powers. Devil's Sight/ blindsight will make these creatures easier to see, but they will still get their benefits if there's dim light or darkness around them.
Well, I need some way to make dangerous enemies, I see no problem with some getting their darkness powers(I do miss some of the Drow only feats from 3.5e that gave them extra power in Darkness but I think that I can give it to them with some magic items and the Warlock get some of them).

Anyway, I have a lot of work to do for this game.

Naanomi
2019-02-09, 11:18 AM
3 free warlock levels... so someone actually advancing as a Warlock starts at level 4?

BloodSnake'sCha
2019-02-09, 11:24 AM
3 free warlock levels... so someone actually advancing as a Warlock starts at level 4?

They do lose the ability to to get the level 1 benefits of other class.

Anyway, I love feats so they will get to get some outside of leveling (I like high power games).

LibraryOgre
2019-02-09, 12:19 PM

Or you start everyone at level 4, and you've either got 3 levels of Warlock and 1 of something else, or 4 levels of Warlock.

Don't mandate that the levels come in a certain order (so someone who wants to Bardlock can be Bard 1 Warlock 3 then take Bard thereafter).

It does advantage warlocks a bit, but I can definitely see them being big in drow society.

EDIT: Or, as others said, just give it to them. "Everyone has a free Invocation, Devil's Sight, as a result of their drow upbringing." Or, "For drow and a few other races, Darkvision works in 100% darkness, but not magical darkness." Or, even, "Just a note, Darkvision leaves people in 100% darkness lightly obscured." That last one is the official ruling... darkvision lets you see in non-magical darkness, but lightly obscured.