PDA

View Full Version : Is Fly with no Featherfall worth on a Hexblade Warlock?

heavyfuel
2019-02-08, 07:30 AM
This seems weird to say the least. The class gets Fly, but no Featherfall? In 5e, Fly doesn't grant automatic featherfall when the spell ends (which I think is a nice nerf), but what do you do if you fall? It's not like you have tons of HP to tank the damage, and if you fell, it's probably because you already too damage.

Anyway, Fly seems very risky on a Warlock. Is it at all worth it? I ask mainly for a Hexblade that would like a way to deal with flying creatures

Aett_Thorn
2019-02-08, 07:38 AM
This seems weird to say the least. The class gets Fly, but no Featherfall? In 5e, Fly doesn't grant automatic featherfall when the spell ends (which I think is a nice nerf), but what do you do if you fall? It's not like you have tons of HP to tank the damage, and if you fell, it's probably because you already too damage.

Anyway, Fly seems very risky on a Warlock. Is it at all worth it? I ask mainly for a Hexblade that would like a way to deal with flying creatures

Well, you can go about this a few ways:

1) Take the risk of losing concentration so that you can get into melee range of flying creatures.

2) Take Warcaster or Resilient (Con) to help with concentration checks

3) Just blast the flying creature with Eldritch Blast or other ranged cantrip

4) Have someone else on the team with Feather Fall that can cast it on you if needed

heavyfuel
2019-02-08, 07:52 AM
Well, you can go about this a few ways:

1) Take the risk of losing concentration so that you can get into melee range of flying creatures.

2) Take Warcaster or Resilient (Con) to help with concentration checks

3) Just blast the flying creature with Eldritch Blast or other ranged cantrip

4) Have someone else on the team with Feather Fall that can cast it on you if needed

1) Yes, that would be the main goal of Flying in combat, but the risk seems way too high.

2) Between PAM and GWM I'd only be able to afford either feat by level 8, and I'm pretty sure the campaign will be over then

3) Eldritch Blast without the proper investment has rather pitiful damage though.

4) It's a two people party. No one else can do it.

I'm starting to think it's not really worth it, and might rely on EB to beat enemies at a range. Guess I'll just hope the AP doesn't have many.

SpanielBear
2019-02-08, 08:18 AM
This may be less helpful with just a two-person party, but it’s worth remembering that Fly has a range of touch, not self. So it is entirely possible to cast it on an ally while you stay on the ground, able to hide and maintain concentration while occasionally chucking an eldritch blast or two before getting back into cover.

heavyfuel
2019-02-08, 08:21 AM
This may be less helpful with just a two-person party, but it’s worth remembering that Fly has a range of touch, not self. So it is entirely possible to cast it on an ally while you stay on the ground, able to hide and maintain concentration while occasionally chucking an eldritch blast or two before getting back into cover.

Hmm, interesting point.

Question because it's been a while since I read the rules: Can I move 10ft ou of cover, use my action to EB, and move 10ft back into cover?

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 08:22 AM
Hmm, interesting point.

Question because it's been a while since I read the rules: Can I move 10ft ou of cover, use my action to EB, and move 10ft back into cover?

Absolutely. You can split up your movement and action/bonus action in any way you like.

Willie the Duck
2019-02-08, 08:24 AM
This spell would be, for your character, a way to avoid trouble--pic up your friend and fly over the (hopefully not-great-at-ranged) enemies (or over a pit, river, etc.).

The instant you are in combat, you either still get targeted by agro (in which case you will eventually fail a concentration check, adding fall damage to the already existing state of being-airborne-didn't-protect-you), or else all the agro lands on your one single ally, who won't last many sessions.

If that challenge-avoidance ability is worth a valuable spells-known, take it. Otherwise, don't. It's not a combat spell for you.

rlc
2019-02-08, 08:46 AM
And, if you're going to be fighting at range, you can easily switch out PAM and GWM, and go for Spell Sniper and Magic Initiate.

heavyfuel
2019-02-08, 11:11 AM
And, if you're going to be fighting at range, you can easily switch out PAM and GWM, and go for Spell Sniper and Magic Initiate.

I have no intention of fighting at range with this character unless absolutely necessary :smalltongue:

This spell would be, for your character, a way to avoid trouble--pic up your friend and fly over the (hopefully not-great-at-ranged) enemies (or over a pit, river, etc.).

The instant you are in combat, you either still get targeted by agro (in which case you will eventually fail a concentration check, adding fall damage to the already existing state of being-airborne-didn't-protect-you), or else all the agro lands on your one single ally, who won't last many sessions.

If that challenge-avoidance ability is worth a valuable spells-known, take it. Otherwise, don't. It's not a combat spell for you.

I know it's a great spell out of combat. Utility is excellent. I was just worrying about combat really

Absolutely. You can split up your movement and action/bonus action in any way you like.

Hmm, good to know.

Chronos
2019-02-08, 03:29 PM
Don't just think in terms of equalizing with flying enemies. Think also about unequalizing with nonflying enemies. If your enemies don't fly and lack ranged attacks, then making you and your buddy fly (remember, it can have multiple targets at higher levels) is a win button. You don't even need to go very high, so if they do have some weak ranged attack and you get bad luck and fail concentration, you needn't take very much falling damage.