PDA

View Full Version : Ways to multiply Strike of Might?

Zaq
2019-02-08, 09:07 AM
More brainstorming for my handbook here, so any help is appreciated. Strike of might grants a +10 bonus to a single weapon damage roll and isn’t multiplied on crits, but it otherwise doesn’t restrict being multiplied. What options are out there to make it punch above its weight class by multiplying it?

So far I can think of Spirited Charge and that Diamond Mind damage-multiplying maneuver whose name I’ll have to look up (Ruby Nightmare Blade?). Decisive Strike (I think that’s the name of that monk ACF from PHB2, but I always seem to get that name wrong) should probably also work. I feel like that can’t be the end of the story, though.

What other game elements besides critical hits can multiply a specific single-use flat bonus to weapon damage?

Eldariel
2019-02-08, 04:08 PM
All the Charge-multipliers:
Headlong Rush -feat
Battle Jump -feat
Valorous weapon enhancement
Rhino's Rush spell

And probably a few things I'm forgetting.

Decisive Strike also exists in Fighter-form in Overpowering Attack ACF (comes superlate though).

Ruby Nightmare Blade and Diamond Nightmare Blade both multiply damage. One is level 4, the other is level 8. Sapphire Nightmare Blade doesn't though, it just flat-foots the opponent.

I'm pretty sure there is some spell that makes an attack do double damage but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

WhamBamSam
2019-02-08, 04:33 PM
There are also some weapons (trident, longspear, halberd, etc) that can multiply damage when receiving a charge.

I screwed around with combining a bunch of different multipliers, including receiving a charge, mounted charging multipliers, and Nightmare Blade maneuvers in an Iron Chef build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21775374&postcount=85) a while back. It requires some fixing to deal with the issue of PsyWar not having Synchronicity on their power list, but it should be doable, and Waverider is notable for a Truenamer in that Waverider Mounts can share spell-like abilities.

Thurbane
2019-02-08, 04:44 PM
Where is Strike of Might to be found? Never mind...it's an Utterance in ToM

Anyway, here's a couple that haven't been mentioned yet (most are charge-related):

Cavalier PrC: triple (or quadruple) damage on a Deadly Charge.
Chariot Charge feat: double (or triple) damage when attacking from a chariot on a charge.
Eldeen Ranger PrC: double damage against favored enemy (uses an action point).
Improved Dragon Wings feat: double damage on a dive attack.
Kishi Charger PrC: same as Cavalier - triple (or quadruple) damage on a Deadly Charge.
Maul of the Titan: triple damage against inanimate objects.
Oak Body power: double damage against objects with an unarmed strike.
Occult Slayer PrC: double damage when using a readied attack against spellcasting.
Overhead Thrust feat: triple damage on an AoO against overrun, trample etc. from a large foe.
Pike Hedge feat: double (or triple) damage when readied against a charge.
Stormtalon Prc: double damage on a charge with Feet Talons.
Waverider PrC: double damage when using a trident on a charging mount.

The Viscount
2019-02-08, 07:22 PM
Improved Dragon Wings shares the basic text of Dragonborn who select the Wings aspect and Raptorans. The dive attack deals double damage but only if you use a piercing weapon.

Zaq
2019-02-09, 12:18 PM
All the Charge-multipliers:
Headlong Rush -feat
Battle Jump -feat
Valorous weapon enhancement
Rhino's Rush spell

And probably a few things I'm forgetting.

Decisive Strike also exists in Fighter-form in Overpowering Attack ACF (comes superlate though).

Ruby Nightmare Blade and Diamond Nightmare Blade both multiply damage. One is level 4, the other is level 8. Sapphire Nightmare Blade doesn't though, it just flat-foots the opponent.

I'm pretty sure there is some spell that makes an attack do double damage but I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Hmm. Do any of those stack with Spirited Charge? Valorous weapon might, but I wonder if the others are going to run into action economy issues. Remind me where Valorous is found?

RNB and DNB are definitely valid, though it's hard to get either on the actual truenamer. Might be worth mentioning for party synergy, though.

There are also some weapons (trident, longspear, halberd, etc) that can multiply damage when receiving a charge.

I screwed around with combining a bunch of different multipliers, including receiving a charge, mounted charging multipliers, and Nightmare Blade maneuvers in an Iron Chef build (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=21775374&postcount=85) a while back. It requires some fixing to deal with the issue of PsyWar not having Synchronicity on their power list, but it should be doable, and Waverider is notable for a Truenamer in that Waverider Mounts can share spell-like abilities.

Huh. Waverider is damned interesting. I'll have to noodle around on that and see if I can put together a sample build that uses it.

Where is Strike of Might to be found? Never mind...it's an Utterance in ToM

Anyway, here's a couple that haven't been mentioned yet (most are charge-related):

Cavalier PrC: triple (or quadruple) damage on a Deadly Charge.
Chariot Charge feat: double (or triple) damage when attacking from a chariot on a charge.
Eldeen Ranger PrC: double damage against favored enemy (uses an action point).
Improved Dragon Wings feat: double damage on a dive attack.
Kishi Charger PrC: same as Cavalier - triple (or quadruple) damage on a Deadly Charge.
Maul of the Titan: triple damage against inanimate objects.
Oak Body power: double damage against objects with an unarmed strike.
Occult Slayer PrC: double damage when using a readied attack against spellcasting.
Overhead Thrust feat: triple damage on an AoO against overrun, trample etc. from a large foe.
Pike Hedge feat: double (or triple) damage when readied against a charge.
Stormtalon Prc: double damage on a charge with Feet Talons.
Waverider PrC: double damage when using a trident on a charging mount.

Yeah, sorry, it's a truenamer utterance, so it's in ToM, as you found. Thanks for the dose of perspective. I was obviously wrapped up in my own brain and didn't stop to consider that other folks might not have just spent the last however long thinking about utterances.

Very interesting list! I'll spend some time poking through those and seeing which are the least obnoxious to try to fit into the kind of paradigm I'm working with. Where's Chariot Charge from?

Improved Dragon Wings shares the basic text of Dragonborn who select the Wings aspect and Raptorans. The dive attack deals double damage but only if you use a piercing weapon.

Raptorans and wings aspect dragonborn get it out of the gate, huh? Fascinating...

Deophaun
2019-02-09, 01:28 PM
The manyfang dagger must be mentioned.

WhamBamSam
2019-02-09, 01:31 PM
Hmm. Do any of those stack with Spirited Charge? Valorous weapon might, but I wonder if the others are going to run into action economy issues. Remind me where Valorous is found?Valorous Weapon is a point of some contention, as it references Spirited Charge to describe how the damage doubling works which leads some to say that it's treated as the same source, but I believe the general consensus leans toward it working. Valorous is in Unapproachable East. Rhino's Rush stacks, but will have action economy issues if you're intending to make the charge in the same round as a Quickened Strike of Might. The others probably won't stack with Spirited Charge unless you're a Centaur or something and can count as mounted when making regular charge actions.

Huh. Waverider is damned interesting. I'll have to noodle around on that and see if I can put together a sample build that uses it.I thought about doing a Truenamer or Invocation user that round, but already had two ideas and didn't want to bother figuring out what abilities might be good shared. Getting around the Law of Sequence a bit by sharing an utterance is nice though.

Very interesting list! I'll spend some time poking through those and seeing which are the least obnoxious to try to fit into the kind of paradigm I'm working with. Where's Chariot Charge from?Sword and Fist. There's a line of chariot feats that basically mirror the mounted combat feats.

The Viscount
2019-02-09, 01:59 PM
Raptorans and wings aspect dragonborn get it out of the gate, huh? Fascinating...

I should be more specific. Wings aspect dragonborn and improved dragon wings are the ones that are essentially identical, granting 30 ft fly speed. Raptorans fly at 40 feet. Raptorans don't actually gain the ability to fly until they have 5HD, dragonborn with wings aspect get it at 6HD, before then both just have gliding. This flight is limited to CON modifier rounds at a time, and if you spend more than 10 minutes all together flying you are fatigued. This penalty is eventually lifted and then you can fly like normal races with flight at level 10 for Raptorans, level 12 for Dragonborn with wings aspect and creatures that take improved dragon wings.

Zaq
2019-02-09, 06:39 PM
I should be more specific. Wings aspect dragonborn and improved dragon wings are the ones that are essentially identical, granting 30 ft fly speed. Raptorans fly at 40 feet. Raptorans don't actually gain the ability to fly until they have 5HD, dragonborn with wings aspect get it at 6HD, before then both just have gliding. This flight is limited to CON modifier rounds at a time, and if you spend more than 10 minutes all together flying you are fatigued. This penalty is eventually lifted and then you can fly like normal races with flight at level 10 for Raptorans, level 12 for Dragonborn with wings aspect and creatures that take improved dragon wings.

Right, of course. I knew about the way the flight abilities scale with HD. By "out of the gate" I meant "without further feat investment," really.

Anyone remember offhand what actual page the "two doubles equals a triple" rule is on? I'm 99% certain that this sort of thing (if I can, in fact, get any two or more of them to apply simultaneously without incredibly contrived scenarios) is specifically what that rule is meant for, but it'd be nice to have it on hand just to make sure I don't go sillier than I have to.

The Viscount
2019-02-10, 12:42 PM
OK sorry to re-explain, just wanted to be clear.

Stacking multiplier rules can be found on page 5 of rules compendium.