PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Paladin 6/Hexblade 1/Sorcerer 13 viable?

Alucard89
2019-02-08, 10:03 AM
Do you think this build is good? I can get SAD CHA and still be level 16 caster at level 20 and 15 caster at level 19.

I would like to take PAM at first level so I don't have to waste later Sorc Points on Quicken Cantrips and can save those for either more slots for Smiting or for Quicken spells like Fireball etc.

As for Paladin I think Vengeance or Devotion as both their CD gives nice boost to melee powers.

For Sorcerer I think Shadow so I can make his own Darkness + Darkvision combo without having to invest more in Warlock (and for fluff) or classic Divine Soul for Guardians and other cleric stuff.

I would rush level 6 Paladin, then dip into Hexblade, then straight Sorc.

For feats I was thinking: PAM, +2 CHA and War Caster at level 11.

What do you think?

Rukelnikov
2019-02-08, 11:25 AM
Consider that once you get Hexblade, any resource spent on Str past 15 is a waste. This means, you either have to waste a point in str 16 to have a +3 until you get Hexblade, or play with a +2 in your att attribute until you go Hexblade. Personally I would take 1 lvl of paladin, then 1 of hexblade, then keep going paladin. You could take PAM at first lvl and do:

15+1
15+1

Honestly, while this build would be "online" since lvl 1 or 2, you will delay 2nd and later ASI, by 3 full levels, which may be a pain when you have to choose between upping your cha, getting Warcaster, Sentinel, or GWM (with the relatively low Cha, I wouldn't get GWM).

Man_Over_Game
2019-02-08, 12:53 PM
One strategy I've seen some people put to use is abuse the fact that the only penalty for not having enough strength for full plate is a -10 penalty to speed.

This can be mitigated either by being a Dwarf or by playing a Wood Elf. Due to the fact that the Dwarf offers you Constitution and the Hill Dwarf can offer an additional 1 HP per level, I'd recommend going Hill Dwarf, having only the 13 Strength needed to multiclass out of Paladin and then taking your second level into Hexblade.

This way, you have 25 speed, a 15 attribute on both your attacks and spells, your Constitution is 15, and you earn +1 HP/level.

Alucard89
2019-02-08, 02:23 PM
Consider that once you get Hexblade, any resource spent on Str past 15 is a waste. This means, you either have to waste a point in str 16 to have a +3 until you get Hexblade, or play with a +2 in your att attribute until you go Hexblade. Personally I would take 1 lvl of paladin, then 1 of hexblade, then keep going paladin. You could take PAM at first lvl and do:

15+1
15+1

Honestly, while this build would be "online" since lvl 1 or 2, you will delay 2nd and later ASI, by 3 full levels, which may be a pain when you have to choose between upping your cha, getting Warcaster, Sentinel, or GWM (with the relatively low Cha, I wouldn't get GWM).

I just start with 14 CON instead of 16. I prefer to have that 16 STR and rush 6 level Paladin first. And I would prefer to have 10 WIS. I know aura + proficiency but WIS is so important save. But your adivce has a lot of sense! Thx

Rukelnikov
2019-02-08, 02:59 PM
I just start with 14 CON instead of 16. I prefer to have that 16 STR and rush 6 level Paladin first. And I would prefer to have 10 WIS. I know aura + proficiency but WIS is so important save. But your adivce has a lot of sense! Thx

Glad to be of help :)