PDA

View Full Version : Tiefling idea, is it viable/possible?

PastorofMuppets
2019-02-08, 10:27 AM
I had an idea that it might be fun to build a tiefling in a way that tries to emulate actual demons and/or devils. In particular I thought the idea of playing a battlefield controller like the chain devil/kytan would be a lot of fun but I can’t figure out how to make it really work.

The best I have is that I’d want to be a blade pact hexblade warlock. Use that first level ritual on a whip to use CHA based attacks and damage and at level 4 take two weapon fighting to dual wield whips, using the ritual one in one hand and blade pact summon in the other so that both benefit from the CHA attacks. Lvl 5 would be fighter in order to get the two weapon fighting style and heavy armor access as I am assuming dex as a dump stat.

The main problem I see here is that yes I have two reach attacks a round but they use d4s for damage so I’m guessing battlemaster for maneuvers is where I’d have to focus next but I can’t see anything about whips being usable for trips or grabs at a distance or any of what makes the chain devil more than just a baddie with a reach weapon.

Is there something I am missing or is this just a concept that can’t really be created effectively?

Super short version, Can a character’s fighting style effectively be the Daredevil stairwell fight scene?

ChildofLuthic
2019-02-08, 10:47 AM
You're going to want to start with fighter to get heavy armor access. Otherwise, MCing into fighter just gives you up to medium. Alternatively, stay hexblade and use medium armor, make DEX 14 and dump STR. Otherwise, I like the concept, and I think it could be really fun. I don't remember if you can bond with two whips tho, so check on that.

Spiritchaser
2019-02-08, 10:48 AM
Nothing stops a Kensai making a stunning strike with a whip, and they get their martial arts damage dice

PastorofMuppets
2019-02-08, 11:05 AM
You're going to want to start with fighter to get heavy armor access. Otherwise, MCing into fighter just gives you up to medium. Alternatively, stay hexblade and use medium armor, make DEX 14 and dump STR. Otherwise, I like the concept, and I think it could be really fun. I don't remember if you can bond with two whips tho, so check on that.

So my read on it and perhaps I am wrong is that you can bond with a single non 2handed weapon. If you go blade pact anything you summon is also a bonded weapon, even if two handed. As I understand it having blade pact means a character can have a second bonded weapon of any sort in addition to the one handed one you can bond at first level.

Bloodcloud
2019-02-08, 11:10 AM
Kensai might work better. The dice gets higher from level 5, so thats interesting.

I don't think you technically can get two pact weapon, but speak with your DM, he might handwave it. Spell sniper+booming blade is worthy of consideration too on a whip.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-08, 11:10 AM
Well, battlemaster's restriction on weapons are written in the maneuvers themselves like lunging, riposte and sweeping, that require a melee weapon, aside from that, any weapon is good for any maneuver.

I assume you are planning to go warlock for RP reasons? Otherwise it would be better for you to go Ftr from the start, so you get maneuvers ASAP. You will need Sentinel, to lock enemies in place.

Keravath
2019-02-08, 11:17 AM
Well, battlemaster's restriction on weapons are written in the maneuvers themselves like lunging, riposte and sweeping, that require a melee weapon, aside from that, any weapon is good for any maneuver.

I assume you are planning to go warlock for RP reasons? Otherwise it would be better for you to go Ftr from the start, so you get maneuvers ASAP. You will need Sentinel, to lock enemies in place.

I think the hexblade was so that he could use charisma for to hit/damage and not worry about boosting strength/dex. It also might work thematically with a tiefling dual whip wielder.

Keravath
2019-02-08, 11:34 AM
So my read on it and perhaps I am wrong is that you can bond with a single non 2handed weapon. If you go blade pact anything you summon is also a bonded weapon, even if two handed. As I understand it having blade pact means a character can have a second bonded weapon of any sort in addition to the one handed one you can bond at first level.

Your reading is completely correct as far as I know.

You can bond one single handed hex warrior weapon AND any pact weapon is also usable with the hex warrior feature. Your pact can summon any melee weapon by default and you are proficient with your pact weapon. Hexblade gives you proficiency with martial weapons anyway so you are good there.

However, I would also suggest a decent dex (14) and medium armor might be the better route to go unless you really want heavy armor (which will require at least a 15 strength) which won't get used for much else in the build. At least dex has several good uses for initiative and other skills.

Tieflings get +1 int and +2 charisma so boosting str/dex will be costly using point buy ... rolled stats are a different story.

Multiclassing to monk doesn't work since whips are not monk weapons so you can't use them with martial arts so you will have to live with the d4 damage. However, it can be combined with hex for increased damage overall.

Finally, all of the battlemaster maneuvers only say "weapon attack" or "melee weapon attack", they do not specify range so all of the battlemaster maneuvers should work fine with whips. However, keep in mind that if you trip someone with your whip at 10' then your next attack would be at disadvantage unless you move adjacent since ranged attacks at prone targets suffer disadvantage.

Vogie
2019-02-08, 12:11 PM
Battlemaster 3 / Kensai 5 / Hexblade X, using Glasya Tiefling from MToF, which gives +1 dex and +2 cha, as well as Minor Illusion, Disguise Self and Invisibility, which is a very superhero-esque blend of spells.

You will have Stunning strike, Extra attack, 4 maneuvers & 3 superiority dice, TWF

You'll also have to skip an ASI somewhere in there, as you need Dual Wielder feat to have a whip in both hands.

If you want heavy armor you'll probably want to roll stats... With a standard array (15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8), you'll have the following to start:
Str 15
Dex 13(12+1)
Con 10
Int 8
Wis 13
Cha 16(14+2)

However, if you want to lean into the Daredevil feel, and use light armor or the Unarmored Defense, you could do:
16(15+1)
Wis 14
Cha 15(13+2)

Which would give an AC of 15 with unarmed defense (16 with Dual Wielder), and a higher constitution, as well as the parkour abilities and extra speed of a monk.

Spiritchaser
2019-02-08, 12:12 PM
Multiclassing to monk doesn't work since whips are not monk weapons so you can't use them with martial arts so you will have to live with the d4 damage. However, it can be combined with hex for increased damage overall.

Exception: Kensai

Keravath
2019-02-08, 12:58 PM
Exception: Kensai

Right you are :) .. too bad the build needs the dual wielder feat to use two whips. It is already pretty strapped for feats/ASI as it is.

Unfortunately, the d6 damage upgrade only applies if they aren't wearing armor/shield since it is one of the martial arts features.

Trampaige
2019-02-08, 01:26 PM
Finally, all of the battlemaster maneuvers only say "weapon attack" or "melee weapon attack", they do not specify range so all of the battlemaster maneuvers should work fine with whips. However, keep in mind that if you trip someone with your whip at 10' then your next attack would be at disadvantage unless you move adjacent since ranged attacks at prone targets suffer disadvantage.

In no world is a whip a ranged attack.
Neither is a polearm.