PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Storm Domain - More caster-y Tempest Domain Variant

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 11:26 AM
http://tinypic.com/r/24ln9yw/9

Storm Domain (Tempest Domain Variant)

Clerics of the Storm Domain are quite like those of the Tempest. Eschewing martial weapons and heavy armor, those who walk the path of the Storm instead focus on the magical aspects of thunder and lightning, emphasizing the light and celerity of a storm.
Storm Domain Spells

Cleric Level

1st Thunderwave, Absorb Elements
3rd Shatter, Blindness/Deafness
5th Thunder Step, Haste
7th Elemental Bane, Freedom of Movement
9th Destructive Wave, Steel Wind Strike*
*Lightning Damage instead of Force

Lightning Flash

Starting at 1st level, you can invoke the power a storm to punish anyone that would harm you. As a reaction when a creature you can see damages you, you can cause the creature to become blinded until the end of your next turn. Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you complete a short or long rest.

Channel Divinity: Power of the Storm

Starting at 2nd level you can use your Channel Divinity to channel the destructive power of a storm. As a bonus action, you can invigorate yourself with energy. This effect lasts for one minute. While under this effect, you have Advantage on damage rolls for spells that deal Thunder or Lightning damage. (Note: For the sake of clarity, that's "Roll the damage dice twice, take the higher number")

Improved Lightning Flash

Starting at 6th level, your Lightning Flash becomes more powerful. When you use it, you may select up to three additional hostile creatures you can see within 30ft of you. They are also blinded until the end of your next turn.

Potent Cantrip

Starting at 8th level, you add your Wisdom modifier to the damage you deal with any cleric cantrip.

Soul of the Storm

Beginning at 17th level, you can harness the full strength of the storm. You gain resistance to thunder and lightning damage.

Notes
I took some inspiration form Mike Mearls' homebrewed domains, both Destruction and Darkness, for some of the abilities. I wanted it to have the feel of a storm-centered cleric, focusing on the quickness aspect of a bolt of lightning, as opposed to the more general 'storm' feel of the vanilla Tempest Domain, while providing it with more unique abilities.

I wanted to include Lightning Bolt, it seems like a no-brainer. Maybe replace Haste? I don't want to replace Thunder Step, as it also represents the quickness aspect. Boom, gone, y'know?

I'm aware that there's no saving throw on the Blinded part of Lightning Flash. I know that's going to get some criticism. I figured since Light Domain's Warding Flare just 'works', no save on that one (And it works a number of times equal to your Wis Mod), and I'm lowering the overall power of the Channel Divinity feature compared to vanilla Tempest, it should even out. If Blinded is too strong for a no-save, perhaps Stunned?

Let me know what you think.

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 11:41 AM
Lightning Flash
I actually have no problem with this being a no save situation. It is happening after you take damage, so you aren't possibly preventing damage this turn and it's only allowed once per short rest.

Improved Lightning Flash
This is actually where I'm a little more hesitant. Now you are blinding 4 people without a save. It's an ability that will likely make or break an entire encounter, even in tier 4. I would look at something to replace this and act differently. Maybe it does damage when you do it as well. If you are trying to replicate the warding flare, why not copy improved flare.

Improved Lightning Flash
Starting at 6th level, you can also use your Lightning Flash feature when a creature that you can see within 30 feet of you attacks a creature other than you.

Haste should definitely be replaced. Call lightning, Lightning Arrow, Fly (think storm from X-Men), and Sleet storm would all be great choices.

Also, definitely don't replace blinded with stunned. Stunned is a WAY more brutal condition than blinded.

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 11:56 AM
Ok, I want to see what you think.

I like the idea of having Lightning Flash work for an attack against an ally. Not bad.

What about the target also taking Thunder damage equal to 3X my Cleric Level, for the lv6?

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 12:09 PM
Ok, I want to see what you think.

I like the idea of having Lightning Flash work for an attack against an ally. Not bad.

What about the target also taking Thunder damage equal to 3X my Cleric Level, for the lv6?

3x damage seems a little high compared to some other other abilities at 6th level.
-Light - Helps an ally
-Life - When you heal someone you get healed
-Nature - Help an ally with resistance
-Knowledge - Boost channel divinity
-Tempest -Move target when you deal lightning damage
-Trickery - A new channel divinity, 1 round invisibility
-Grave - Stop a critical hit
-Forge +1 AC, resistance to fire.

Doing damage doesn't really fit the theme in my mind here since most either help an ally or are defensive in nature. 2x level seems like it would be okay, but still not fitting with the cleric archetype in my mind.

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 12:13 PM
3x damage seems a little high compared to some other other abilities at 6th level.
-Light - Helps an ally
-Life - When you heal someone you get healed
-Nature - Help an ally with resistance
-Knowledge - Boost channel divinity
-Tempest -Move target when you deal lightning damage
-Trickery - A new channel divinity, 1 round invisibility
-Grave - Stop a critical hit
-Forge +1 AC, resistance to fire.

Doing damage doesn't really fit the theme in my mind here since most either help an ally or are defensive in nature. 2x level seems like it would be okay, but still not fitting with the cleric archetype in my mind.

You're right, it doesn't fit.

How about...

You can use it when an ally it attacked, and its now 2 uses per short rest
Additionally, when you use it, you (or the ally) can move up to their speed immediately, without provoking opportunity attacks

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 01:49 PM
You're right, it doesn't fit.

How about...

You can use it when an ally it attacked, and its now 2 uses per short rest
Additionally, when you use it, you (or the ally) can move up to their speed immediately, without provoking opportunity attacks

I don't know, it still feel like to much to me.

What about:
You can use it when an ally it attacked, and you can use it before the attack instead of after. That increase the utility, giving it to allies, and increases the power making it affect that attack as well.

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 01:52 PM
I don't know, it still feel like to much to me.

What about:
You can use it when an ally it attacked, and you can use it before the attack instead of after. That increase the utility, giving it to allies, and increases the power making it affect that attack as well.

Would the ability to use it BEFORE the attack also be applicable to when I use it for when I'm attacked?

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 01:53 PM
Would the ability to use it BEFORE the attack also be applicable to when I use it for when I'm attacked?

Yes, definitely. It wouldn't make sense otherwise

Improved Lightning Flash
Starting at 6th level, your Lightning Flash becomes more powerful. You may now use it as a reaction before being attacked instead of after. Additionally, you can use this same reaction when an ally within 30ft is attacked.

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 01:57 PM
......still only once per short rest, or is that pushing it?

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 01:59 PM
......still only once per short rest, or is that pushing it?

Correct, I see it remaining 1 time per short rest.

jaappleton
2019-02-08, 02:00 PM
Correct, I see it remaining 1 time per short rest.

WHY DO YOU HATE FUN?!

But really, I want to thank you for taking the time today to help me out with this. I appreciate it.

nickl_2000
2019-02-08, 02:03 PM
WHY DO YOU HATE FUN?!

But really, I want to thank you for taking the time today to help me out with this. I appreciate it.

Because I'm a father and I see it as my roll to make sure no one has fun, especially my children.

Remember though, this isn't my homebrew, nor is it being used at my table. If you really think it should be 2 times per short rest and your DM is okay with it, then do it.