PDA

View Full Version : How to best protect allies as a Redemption Paladin?

Mr. Crowbar
2019-02-08, 03:12 PM
I've had very little opportunity playing anything that isn't a full spellcaster and despite reading guides and such I find myself fretting about how to build this character. I'm not sure how distribute stats or what feats might be best -- there's too many and not enough opportunities to get them ;_;

We're playing Tomb of Annihilation, starting at level 3. Point buy for stats. UA is allowed.
The others in the party are an undead Light Cleric, kenku Spore Druid, and human Wizard.

My character is a warforged who was built for a very one-sided "war," deserted, and now wants to undo some of the damage he caused and protect people.
I'm using the Envoy Warforged race.
tentative stats are 16/8/16/12/8/14
sword & board most likely
fighting style: protection or defence?
Oath of Redemption

I'm pretty sure I'll be the only one in the party with a decent STR score, so I'm considering taking Brawny to better grappling and carrying capacity. But then Druid gets plenty of area denial spells. And what about Shield Master or Sentinel? Or will I get really behind not increasing STR or CON or CHA?

I like the fluff of Redemption but if there's another oath/class that does this better I'm open to it. I'm honestly worried about not being effective amongst a party of full spellcasters.

Snowbluff
2019-02-08, 04:06 PM
Depending on the turn order and what your team is built to do, Redemption paladin has the very handy Sanctuary Spell (https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Sanctuary#content). It's even a bonus action cast and doesn't take concentration, so you can do that and grab an enemy.

If the enemies go between you and your friend, this is where it can shine and also let your teammate attack if they so choose, or if they're injured they can dodge and run away.