PDA

View Full Version : Being nerfed by Feeblemind is a way to avoid Synaptic Static? Any other great ideas?

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-02-09, 12:44 AM
Just reading up on Synaptic Static I thought, "wow, at least if you failed a save against Feeblemind you'd be immune to this." I can't think of a situation where intentionally failing a Feeblemind save so you'd be immune to Synaptic Static would be a good idea though.

Any of you all have any situations no matter how contrived where it could be? An NPC must live....the enemy has only one ranged attack, Synaptic Static so you cast Feeblemind your your NPC?

What other comical nerfs can you think of? Any which you've actually used to good effect?

Rukelnikov
2019-02-09, 03:06 AM
Hmm, in 3e I once voluntarily hit myself with a sleep spell. It was a "mage's" duel, I was level 3, and assume my enemy was too. After a couple rounds I was blinded, so I couldn't target the enemy sorcerer, however I could still target myself, I got as close as I could by sound (verbal components), and targeted myself with sleep. Sadly the sorcerer passed his save :(

ImproperJustice
2019-02-09, 05:37 AM
Our part had to get passed these crystals that emitted a tone which caused nausea, confusion, and summoned nearby monsters.

We protected ourselves by having the Sorceror cast Warding Wind which deafened everybody close to him.

MarkVIIIMarc
2019-02-09, 08:18 AM
We've had accidents with Sleep in parties I've been in before.

Thanks for the idea of deafness. Being deaf or blind temporarily could be situationally useful! I'll keep that in mind

ImproperJustice
2019-02-09, 08:34 AM
There was another situation where we had to get a group of allies out of harms way in a hurry, so the Alchemist tossed a thunder stone into the center of the party and everyone chose to intentionally fail the save and get pushed 10’ from the point of impact.

Dalebert
2019-02-10, 09:54 PM
A less drastic protection would be to polymorph someone into something dumb.

Zanthy1
2019-02-11, 01:28 PM
There was another situation where we had to get a group of allies out of harms way in a hurry, so the Alchemist tossed a thunder stone into the center of the party and everyone chose to intentionally fail the save and get pushed 10’ from the point of impact.

That is actually really clever and I cannot believe I hadn't thought about it before.

"I hold my action (or would it be reaction) to thrown this thunder stone in the middle of our group when the dragon uses its breath weapon"

As a DM i'd allow it, though some would still get hit, some would also avoid the blast entirely.

JackPhoenix
2019-02-11, 01:37 PM
That is actually really clever and I cannot believe I hadn't thought about it before.

"I hold my action (or would it be reaction) to thrown this thunder stone in the middle of our group when the dragon uses its breath weapon"

As a DM i'd allow it, though some would still get hit, some would also avoid the blast entirely.

Yeah, there's an opportunity cost in wasting your action if the dragon doesn't use breath weapon in its turn.

However, willingly failing a save is a houserule, you can't do that per RAW.

Zanthy1
2019-02-11, 02:14 PM
However, willingly failing a save is a houserule, you can't do that per RAW.

That is fair, though I am sure most tables would allow it (though AL may differ obvs)

JoeJ
2019-02-11, 02:27 PM

RAW, a readied action goes after the trigger, so this wouldn't actually get anybody out of the way. It's clever enough that I'd probably give it a chance of working, though.