PDA

View Full Version : Great Wyrm Monk

Firehawk242
2019-02-09, 12:51 AM
So I recently came across a situation in which a 3.5e Great Wyrm Silver Dragon Level 20 Monk was brought up. And we immediately ran into a problem. What the heck would the unarmed damage on such a thing look like? I mean, aside from absolutely disgusting. Side note, the dragon in question also has eight levels in Dragon Ascendant, if that matters.

Is there a progression table for such a thing? Official or otherwise?

Mystic Muse
2019-02-09, 03:27 AM
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?428843-Sizes-for-Monk-s-Unarmed-Strike Closest thing I can find.

Based on the table, something like 10 or 12d8 damage per unarmed strike.

Firehawk242
2019-02-09, 08:44 AM
Based on the table, something like 10 or 12d8 damage per unarmed strike.

Okay, so it doesn't scale off of natural weapon damage then. Good.

GrayDeath
2019-02-09, 09:07 AM
Not RAW, no.

But if its a Great Wyrm Dragon, who maybe invented Monkdome to begin with, it SHOULD: ;)

Firehawk242
2019-02-09, 09:37 AM
Not RAW, no.

But if its a Great Wyrm Dragon, who maybe invented Monkdome to begin with, it SHOULD: ;)

Scaling off of 1d8 is bad enough. Scaling off of 4d8 is just disgusting. Also, at this point the dragon is getting both its Cha and Wis bonuses as AC boosts. Tell me, does that sound AT ALL reasonable?

Then again, this was never meant to be fair.

...anyone want to take a stab at a Level 20 Great Wyrm Silver Dragon Bard? Maximum unfairness, here we come.

Metahuman1
2019-02-10, 02:59 AM
Isn't there like a feat floating around somewhere that let's you use Monk Unarmed Damage Dice in place of Nat Weapon Damage Dice?

Not that it matters, full Epic BAB and Str mod on that damage and then even with out Multyattack you can full attack with all those Dragon Nat weapons anyway.

Eldan
2019-02-10, 06:23 AM
Scaling off of 1d8 is bad enough. Scaling off of 4d8 is just disgusting. Also, at this point the dragon is getting both its Cha and Wis bonuses as AC boosts. Tell me, does that sound AT ALL reasonable?

Then again, this was never meant to be fair.

...anyone want to take a stab at a Level 20 Great Wyrm Silver Dragon Bard? Maximum unfairness, here we come.

How is that unfair? That thing would fight high level epic parties. They have epic spellcasting.

GrayDeath
2019-02-10, 09:53 AM
How is that unfair? That thing would fight high level epic parties. They have epic spellcasting.

This.

Dont let large numbers scare you, they are the least problematic thing about Dragions.

Which is why I would adapt the Monk to Dragonness by countinc all Claw Attacks and maybe Tail Slaps as Unarmed for the purpose.

Dang, now I need to build that thing ^^

Metahuman1
2019-02-11, 04:49 AM
You know, now that I think on it.

Take Ascetic Mage.

Your Monk levels stack with your Dragon Spell Casting Levels for Caster Level and any Monk Ability's that scale to level past 20, and your using double your Charisma mod to AC, AND the second application works for Touch AC as well.

Eldan
2019-02-11, 05:42 AM
I mean, yeah. It's going to be an interesting creature. At that point, I'd also take Enlightened Fist over pure Monk, though.

Segev
2019-02-12, 10:01 AM
Shouldn't this be in the D&D 3.5 subforum?

That aside, IIRC, if you have natural weapons and "normal" weapons, can't you make a full attack with your normal weapon(s) and then make a single attack with each natural weapon?

Metahuman1
2019-02-12, 11:02 PM
Monk unarmed strike is a natural and a manufactured "normal" weapon. Depending on whatever is most beneficial too it.

There for it doesn't have this problem.

Segev
2019-02-13, 11:06 AM
Monk unarmed strike is a natural and a manufactured "normal" weapon. Depending on whatever is most beneficial too it.

There for it doesn't have this problem.

I wasn't suggesting it as a problem. I was suggesting that the monk-dragon's full attack would be a full attack with the iterative unarmed strike followed by all of his secondary natural weapons as an additional attack each.