PDA

View Full Version : Phb+1 Volos need help

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 02:33 AM
I need help with finding spells for my yuan ti wizard necromancer. Anybody that can help me pick good spells to have in my spellbook?

Rallek25
2019-02-09, 02:35 AM
I need help with finding spells for my yuan ti wizard necromancer. Anybody that can help me pick good spells to have in my spellbook?

Well honestly you can have any of them. I saw the PHB+1 and I'm assuming you're following AL rules. The way around the rules is that you find someone with the spells from XGTE and you can copy those and they become yours. You just can't take them when you level.
Are you looking though like for specific Necromancy spells that relate to your character?

Rukelnikov
2019-02-09, 02:59 AM
Well honestly you can have any of them. I saw the PHB+1 and I'm assuming you're following AL rules. The way around the rules is that you find someone with the spells from XGTE and you can copy those and they become yours. You just can't take them when you level.
Are you looking though like for specific Necromancy spells that relate to your character?

-you also cant take the cantrips, but thats mainly a prob for the scag ones.

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 02:59 AM

Yes I was looking for necromantic spells to add in as well, had no idea you could just copy spells from someone’s spellbook.

Rallek25
2019-02-09, 03:35 AM
Yes I was looking for necromantic spells to add in as well, had no idea you could just copy spells from someone’s spellbook.

Yeah you just need to have the gold to copy the spells. You can copy spells that are on your classes spell list from any scroll, spellbook, tome, or from other fellow wizards. Just like I said make sure you have the gold to do so.

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 04:09 AM
So anybody have any combos or tips for spells?

Rallek25
2019-02-09, 04:21 AM
So anybody have any combos or tips for spells?

Well it all depends on how you want to play your character. Do you want to do just strictly damage? I mean as a wizard I guess it doesn't matter cuss you can get every spell on your list, it's just a matter of preparing them.
So for cantrip I'd get chill touch. It's not the best damage wise, but it fits your necromancer as it's a necromancy spell and it stops the enemy from healing which is nice.
Chromatic orb is always a favorite for me. You can change the type of damage it does which is useful when someone is resistant to a certain damage type. It's also one of the highest damaging spells for a 1st level. 3d8
Since you're a wizard mage armor might be something to look into for some defense.
For necromancy spells though there's vampiric touch which is 3rd level. It's a melee attack spell, but is nice when someone is in your face. 3d6 and you get half back in health. You can also repeat the attack over as an action for a minute.
Blight is another good necromancy spell.
Counterspell is a must for any spell caster
Disintegrate and circle of death are good necromancy spells.

Rallek25
2019-02-09, 04:26 AM
Find familiar is a staple for most if not all wizards. Having a familiar is really great for out of combat stuff. You can have your familiar explore for you without anyone getting caught up in traps or something.
Mirror image is a good defensive spell which helps with survivability.
Fly is always great to have because there's always an obstacle where flying gets you from point a to point b with no headache.
Feather fall is also great in case you fall.
Shield is a must as it gives you +5 to AC for a round.
If you want to buff your allies then there's haste.

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 04:52 AM
Any good spells at fourth?

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 04:53 AM
4th level I mean I’m a sixth level wizard.

Rukelnikov
2019-02-09, 05:30 AM
4th level I mean I’m a sixth level wizard.

Banishment is pretty good.
Blight has its uses (like when you dont wanna nuke my fellow party members, or would rather deal necrotic damage)
Evards Black tentacles is good
Greater Invisibility is game changing
Otiluke's resilient sphere has pretty good utility, can save you or someone else from a really tight spot, and can be used as poor man's banishment (its a Dex save instead of Cha)
Polymorph is simply awesome.

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 06:54 PM
Was wondering about greater invisibility can devils see you?

creepyeye
2019-02-09, 07:16 PM
Does anybody have a ruling or link that says you can copy Spells from spell books that aren’t part of your books

Keravath
2019-02-09, 09:01 PM
Was wondering about greater invisibility can devils see you?

No. Devil's sight lets you see in darkness and magical darkness. It doesn't grant any special ability to see through Invisibility.

Truesight will see through invisibility.

Devil's sight also can't see through Shadow of Moil. Shadow of Moil just says "Flame-like shadows wreathe your body until the spell ends, causing you to become heavily obscured to others.". Basically the spell creates solid shadows that heavily obscure you making it so that you can not be seen by them. The interesting thing is that Devil's sight can't see through the flame-like shadows since they are not darkness or magical darkness and Truesight can't see through them because ...

"TRUESIGHT
A creature with truesight can, out to a specific range, see in normal and magical darkness, see invisible creatures and objects, automatically detect visual illusions and succeed on saving throws against them, and perceives the original form of a shapechanger or
a creature that is transformed by magic, Furthermore, the creature can see into the Ethereal Plane."

... Shadow of Moil is not darkness, it isn't invisibility, and it isn't an illusion. So Truesight can't see through it.

Blood of Gaea
2019-02-10, 02:49 AM
These are my go-to Wizard spells. After picking these up, I make considerations for the campaign and specific PC.

Cantrip: Minor Illusion
1st: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Shield
2nd: Web, Mirror Image
3rd: Slow, Hypnotic Pattern
4th: Watery Sphere, Polymorph
5th: Bigby's Hand, Wall of Force
6th: Mass Suggestion, Otto's Irresistible Dance
7th: Forcecage, Mirage Arcane
8th: Maze
9th: Wish

Does anybody have a ruling or link that says you can copy Spells from spell books that aren’t part of your books
Pg. 114 of the PHB. If you missed that, perhaps you should read over your class again.

creepyeye
2019-02-10, 07:54 PM
These are my go-to Wizard spells. After picking these up, I make considerations for the campaign and specific PC.

Cantrip: Minor Illusion
1st: Tasha's Hideous Laughter, Shield
2nd: Web, Mirror Image
3rd: Slow, Hypnotic Pattern
4th: Watery Sphere, Polymorph
5th: Bigby's Hand, Wall of Force
6th: Mass Suggestion, Otto's Irresistible Dance
7th: Forcecage, Mirage Arcane
8th: Maze
9th: Wish

Pg. 114 of the PHB. If you missed that, perhaps you should read over your class again.

I meant the AL rules for copying spell books out of the phb+1
I have phb and Volos as the only books I can use. I can’t use anything out of xanathars or any other.I heard that you can get around that by copying spells from another persons spellbook as long as you didn’t level to get them.

Blood of Gaea
2019-02-10, 08:20 PM
I meant the AL rules for copying spell books out of the phb+1
I have phb and Volos as the only books I can use. I can’t use anything out of xanathars or any other.I heard that you can get around that by copying spells from another persons spellbook as long as you didn’t level to get them.
pg. 6 of this PDF, under the caption "Which Spells Can I Learn?". (https://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/DDADVL_FAQv3.pdf)