PDA

View Full Version : Next book a Nautical Tales of the Yawning Portal?

Beechgnome
2019-02-09, 08:51 AM
Yesterday's Spoiler & Swag show had screen grabs from the new book that look like an older adventure, The Final Enemy.

Link: https://comicbook.com/gaming/2019/02/08/dungeons-and-dragons-nautical-adventure-preview/

Which makes it sound like the book is a TotYP-style adventure compilation, likely with rules for ships and seafaring up front. I never got to the final enemy bit I did play the Sinister Secret of Salt marsh.

As a DM I enjoyed TotYP and found it very useful for shorter adventures, though I wish they had spent more time adapting some details (the hill giant fortress hallways seemed intended for large, not huge creatures, e.g.)

Of course, it's also possible it is a source book with just one sample adventure.

Millstone85
2019-02-09, 09:11 AM
I see that they are still using the "Long Walk, Short Plank" codename, which they had previously presented along with "Boats and ****e", "Under the Sea", and "Thanks for the Fish".

In the last thread, I ended up hyping myself for a book on seafaring, submarining and spelljamming. But I guess it is time to cool down.

Unoriginal
2019-02-09, 09:14 AM
Well it'd be awesome if they called it "Tales of the Dead Men" or another play on "dead men tells no tales" that signal the same format as TotYP.

In any case, I'm happy the underwater demizens will get spotlight. I often get the impression they're kind of stuck in the "those not-relevant-to-the-campaign guys who show up once when the PCs go underwater" zone.

Yora
2019-02-09, 03:07 PM
D&D and the Sea have a long but also unglorious history. It's only half a joke when people say "Underwater adventures always suck". There aren't any classic sea adventures for D&D.
If they want to make a big nautical campaign, they will have to create something new from scrap.

Throne12
2019-02-09, 03:37 PM
God I need that book now my pirate campaign will be over when this book comes out.

Unoriginal
2019-02-09, 03:37 PM
There aren't any classic sea adventures for D&D.

That's a rather non-factual claim.

There has been several sea adventures in past editions. The first official rules about how to do D&D underwater were in an underwater adventure module. There has been rulebooks about doing adventures at sea, too.

"Classic" does not mean "good" or "beloved".

Yora
2019-02-09, 05:00 PM
If not good or beloved, then at the very least famous. But even there I can't think of any.

Unoriginal
2019-02-10, 05:58 AM
So, reading those pages, apparently some of the new monsters will be:

-Shahuagin champion

-Shahuagin coral smasher

-Shahuagin deep diver

-Shahuagin wave shaper

-Shell shark

Also damn that sea lion is big.