PDA

View Full Version : wild shape ranger

alexi
2007-09-26, 08:43 AM
ok so i'm guessing that the wildshaping begins at lv 5?
from the srd:
Gain
Wild shape (as druid; Small or Medium animals only)

and as druid gains it at lv 5, then a ranger would gain it a lv 5?

JackMage666
2007-09-26, 08:44 AM
Yep, gains at level 5, and will never improve past small and medium (unless, of course, you're going Master of Many Forms)

Zincorium
2007-09-26, 04:55 PM
Honestly, if you've got access to the PHB 2, I'd check with your DM to see if you can bargain for the shapeshifter variant instead.

alexi
2007-09-26, 10:34 PM
shapeshifter ranger varient?

Person_Man
2007-09-26, 10:40 PM
There's also a variety of feats that add Wild Shape forms, such as Aberration Wild Shape, Frozen Wild Shape, Dragon Wild Shape, etc.

The Wildshape Ranger is one of my favorite classes, by the way. All the fun of Wild Shape, plenty of Skills, but a lot less bookkeeping then the Druid. And it doesn't have that game breaking feel to it.

leperkhaun
2007-09-26, 11:48 PM
Wildshape rangers are fun. We allowed the ranger to take feats to increase the size of her wildshape.

TheOOB
2007-09-27, 12:12 AM
It makes more sense for a combat oriented class to shape shift then a spellcaster in the first place. What I don't get is why a wild shape ranger doesn't gain all the wild shape abilities, it's not like their gaining full spellcasting along with it.

Leon
2007-09-27, 12:42 AM
Rangerish Question: Taking Prestige ranger gets you a animal companion - does this companion's bonus HD and such work off levels in the PrC or total character levels

Idea i had was for Shapeshift Druid till 8 (for the Slayer Form) and then go into the PrC and was wondering on the compaion side of things

It makes more sense for a combat oriented class to shape shift then a spellcaster in the first place. What I don't get is why a wild shape ranger doesn't gain all the wild shape abilities, it's not like their gaining full spellcasting along with it.

i think it's aimed more at being a fast moving "scout" basis rather than a "combat Monster" one

TheOOB
2007-09-27, 12:47 AM
Rangerish Question: Taking Prestige ranger gets you a animal companion - does this companion's bonus HD and such work off levels in the PrC or total character levels

It work's off of class levels, not character levels, however if you where a multiclasses druid/prestige ranger both levels would stack for determining your companions power.

Leon
2007-09-27, 12:56 AM
It work's off of class levels, not character levels, however if you where a multiclasses druid/prestige ranger both levels would stack for determining your companions power.

ok cool, Thanks

Person_Man
2007-09-27, 09:20 AM

Idea i had was for Shapeshift Druid till 8 (for the Slayer Form) and then go into the PrC and was wondering on the compaion side of things

Your figure out your animal companion's bonuses by applying the following formula:

If a prestige class offers full animal companion progression, then you add it to your Druid levels to determine the strength of your animal companion.

It's slightly different if you're a Ranger. From the FAQ, pg. 26:

How does a multiclassed druid/ranger determine the statistics for her animal companion?

Use the sum of the character’s “effective druid level” for the purpose of determining animal companion statistics. A druid’s effective level is her class level, while a ranger’s is equal to one-half his class level. A 5th-level druid/6th-level ranger, for example, would have an animal companion as if she were an 8th-level druid (5 plus one-half of 6).

Also, when I play a Wildshape Ranger, I pick up variants to get rid of my spellcasting and the animal companion (Complete Champion and/or PHBII) as well. Ranger spells are useful (especially ones from the Spell Compendium) but tend to focus on archery or TWF. And the Ranger's animal companion is just way too fragile to stay alive or be helpful in combat once you hit mid-high levels.

alexi
2007-09-27, 04:27 PM
"Frozen Wild Shape"
does that mean I can shapeshift into a bearcicle?

I pretty much want to bae able to shapeshift into a bear, and then use the shock trooper feats. Does that sound like a good idea, or am I just having a brain fart?

Roderick_BR
2007-09-27, 06:32 PM
Wildshaper Ranger always reminds me of this movie I saw, I think it was with Chuck Norris, where he was protecting a forest, and could turn into animals.
It's easier to use a ranger than a druid for that concept.

JackMage666
2007-09-27, 06:36 PM
"Frozen Wild Shape"

I pretty much want to bae able to shapeshift into a bear, and then use the shock trooper feats. Does that sound like a good idea, or am I just having a brain fart?

Um, you could only turn into the Medium bear (Black Bear, I think), not the Brown Bear or anything larger than Medium... That's one of the issues with the Widlshape Ranger - Much limitted size restrictions.

Person_Man
2007-09-27, 10:10 PM
"Frozen Wild Shape"

lol. It lets you turn into things with the cold subtype.

Shock Trooper works best when combined with Leap Attack + reach + pounce. So you'd probably be better off Wildshaping into a deinonychus, and then picking up one level of Warshaper. You might also want to search through the various monster manuals to find a good Cold or Aberration shape. Or you can take a level or two of Master of Many Forms, because the dino form is going to seem weak once you get to high levels.

If you want to be a Bear, then the obvious choice is Improved Grapple. You might also want Touch of Golden Ice from the Book of Exhalted Deeds, which lets you deal Dex damage with unarmed or natural weapons.

Fax Celestis
2007-09-28, 10:42 AM
lol. It lets you turn into things with the cold subtype.

Shock Trooper works best when combined with Leap Attack + reach + pounce. So you'd probably be better off Wildshaping into a deinonychus, and then picking up one level of Warshaper. You might also want to search through the various monster manuals to find a good Cold or Aberration shape. Or you can take a level or two of Master of Many Forms, because the dino form is going to seem weak once you get to high levels.

If you want to be a Bear, then the obvious choice is Improved Grapple. You might also want Touch of Golden Ice from the Book of Exhalted Deeds, which lets you deal Dex damage with unarmed or natural weapons.

Exhibit A as to how this works. WARNING: Contains a moderate amount of cheese.

alexi
2007-09-28, 03:47 PM
so do y'all think that adding the shapeshifter druid varrient would be fair? i kinda like the flavor of it.

hmmm and now just to find away to add a cold template to a bear, cause it sounds nifty

Ungvar
2007-09-29, 02:06 AM
Exhibit A as to how this works. WARNING: Contains a moderate amount of cheese.

Exalted Wild Shape only grants SU abilities for animals w/ the celestial template, and the additional magical beast forms named (eg: blink dog, unicorn).

There is an Assume Supernatural Ability feat from Savage Species. For that feat, you only get ONE Su from ONE creature. For example, you could take the breath weapon of a red dragon, but only for red dragons... you wouldn't have a breath weapon if you wildshaped into a gold/blue/silver whatever dragon. And even then, you take a -2 to basically all rolls, and you have to make a DC 19 Will save to even use it at all in combat.

There is the Magical Beast Wild Shape feat, and that grants Su, but it's an Epic feat.

No, the only way you'll get this rukanyr w/ Su is with Shapechange.