PDA

View Full Version : Shield Guardian: Why is WotC obsessed with it?

Merudo
2019-02-10, 02:06 AM
The item, "Shield Guardian", is probably one of the strongest item in D&D. It is a large construct that obeys the wearer of an amulet, which requires attunement.

The Guardian essentially functions as a tier 2 fighter, with 142 hp, AC 17, and two fist attacks that do the same damage as a maul. On top of that, it regenerates 10 hp per turn.

Most importantly, the owner of the amulet can store any spell of level 4 or lower in the Guardian. The Shield Guardian can then cast the spell itself. Interestingly, the Shield Guardian can cast spells that requires concentration - so a spellcaster attuned to the amulet can essentially concentrate on two spells at once.

Anyone controlling the amulet is effectively controlling two characters. The Shield Guardian feels extremely powerful and can easily overshadow PCs. DMs should be extremely careful if they introduce the item.

Strangely, WotC seems utterly obsessed with the Shield Guardian and included it in most adventures. It can be found in Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation, and Princes of the Apocalypse.

Am I the only one puzzled by the overuse of such an OP item?

Marcloure
2019-02-10, 02:12 AM
Shield Guardians are a classical thing to use as defense for wizards in D&D, it is why they exist, so why not use them and that is required? Also, as D&D survives of its own legacy, they make sure to use what is classic.

I don't know about those adventures, but I don't think they are intended to be possessed by PCs. Or at least, not mid level ones.

Dungeon-noob
2019-02-10, 02:47 AM
Snip

It can be found in Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation, and Princes of the Apocalypse.
Really? I've read the first two on that list, and i don't recall a shield guardian in there. Could you point em out for me?

As for your question, it's a classic wizard defense that works very well, so when using a powerfull wizard, it's one of the best measures to include to make them a serious threat alone.

Avonar
2019-02-10, 03:16 AM
Really? I've read the first two on that list, and i don't recall a shield guardian in there. Could you point em out for me?

As for your question, it's a classic wizard defense that works very well, so when using a powerfull wizard, it's one of the best measures to include to make them a serious threat alone.

I can confirm a few places (spoilered):

Out of the Abyss: Zelraun Roaringhorn in Gauntlgrym has a shield guardian. I don't know if it was just our DM, but we ended up trading Dawnbringer for it.

Curse of Strahd: We didn't find it in our playthrough but apparently it's in the Amber Temple.

Tomb of Annihilation: There is a quest you can get in Nyanzaru to retrieve a Shield Guardian from in the jungle.

Also, there is Dungeon of the Mad Mage: On the first level of the Undermountain, you can find a Shield Guardian wandering around.

NecessaryWeevil
2019-02-10, 10:42 AM
Our DM must agree with you, because the one I obtained in Curse of Strahd was badly damaged and didn't regenerate.

BaconAwesome
2019-02-10, 10:52 AM
Strangely, WotC seems utterly obsessed with the Shield Guardian and included it in most adventures. It can be found in Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, Tomb of Annihilation, and Princes of the Apocalypse.

Also Waterdeep:Dragon Heist