PDA

View Full Version : Advice For Block Party In Waterdeep (Possible Extremely Minor Spoilers)

papabeadrums
2019-02-10, 12:17 PM
So I've been DMing Waterdeep Dragon Heist for a short time now, and my players have been running the tavern with as much excitement as I've ever seen them do anything in D&D. They recently came into possession of a rival business owner's restaurant and are looking to further expand their hold on Trollskull alley by purchasing a warehouse and opening a brewery. For their grand opening of the original tavern, they decided to host a massive Liar's Night party complete with costume contest, and I borrowed some of the mechanics Jerry Holkins used in The C Team's Last Stone's Day celebration episode, if you're familiar with the show. The entire session they rolled spectacularly and have gained a lot of renown in the area for their business and for the alley at large
With their newly acquired building, the group is wanting to host a block party to celebrate their successes. I want to make it most of, if not an entire session with complications, lots of skill checks, role playing, lots of booze and maybe a drunken fist fight or two.
So ultimately, I'm looking for advice.
First, how much do you think it would cost up front to cover costs for food, drinks, decorations, and permits?
Second, what would be some interesting complications for them to encounter during the party?
Should I even bother with any sort of minor combat? I'm not looking to create some life or death struggle, just maybe a small fight or two to create breaks in the role play. Does that sound like it might be worthwhile. I was thinking of bringing back the business rival, who would have just gotten out of jail, incensed by the party's success, he attacks one of them with a dagger for some flair.
I was also thinking about maybe delving into some skill checks based around navigating the guilds who are all constantly trying to keep their hands in the jar.
Any other suggestions as to how to keep this entertaining and exciting are welcome and sought after!
Current group is an elf rogue, kenku ranger, and human wizard. I want them to feel engaged and challenged with the whole thing. I think they've been having more fun just running the business and making adjustments there than they ever had in a battle, and I want to keep the spirit alive before I whisk them away into the next phase of the story. I think for them, this has been and would continue to be a really refreshing change of pace after running through Curse Of Strahd.
Thanks in advance!

Edgerunner
2019-02-10, 01:11 PM
WOW! Great idea and Loads of potential.

With the emergence of the group in Trollskull, Local Rivals/gangsters could be looking for a small monthly 'Tribute' to keep the peace.

When have you Not seen a Domestic argument at something like this? Cops get a call and......

Not Everyone is happy with their new neighbors. An old family, fallen into discrace, has vowed to win the people of Trollskull to the family's side.

JoeJ
2019-02-10, 01:21 PM
Prices for food and drink can be found on p. 158 of the PHB. Just multiply by the number of people you're preparing for.

Unoriginal
2019-02-10, 01:41 PM
The Winter chapter of the adventure has an event where a party can happen at the tavern. You should give it a look, IMO.

papabeadrums
2019-02-10, 01:50 PM
WOW! Great idea and Loads of potential.

With the emergence of the group in Trollskull, Local Rivals/gangsters could be looking for a small monthly 'Tribute' to keep the peace.

When have you Not seen a Domestic argument at something like this? Cops get a call and......

Not Everyone is happy with their new neighbors. An old family, fallen into discrace, has vowed to win the people of Trollskull to the family's side.

I could definitely tie those elements into the party and the campaign as a whole. A rival family with some wealth and former glory would certainly add a bit of spice that I'm looking for. As for the gang, I think that could make for a really fun interaction for some intimidation and persuasion role playing. Ultimately, the group's connections with the Zhents would likely prevent any serious bloodshed in the long run, helping to isolate the encounter. And you're right, there is no way a party that size wouldn't attract a few drunken domestics and the city watch. Thanks for the advice and I'm happy to hear more down the pipe!

papabeadrums
2019-02-10, 01:52 PM
The Winter chapter of the adventure has an event where a party can happen at the tavern. You should give it a look, IMO.

I will definitely look this over. Thank you!