PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade/Paladin story justification and progression

Tyringo
2019-02-10, 11:53 PM
So I have been playing a Hexblade / Paladin character in our home game that takes place in a very Diablo like religious inquisition type environment, and it has been an absolute blast. I am an Aasimar (passing as human) paladin of the inquisition with the hexblade as a dark secret that gives me extra power to right wrongs but will probably eventually be discovered as heretical by my peers - lots of fun. As I level up, it will be a conflict of trying to stay good and harness the hexblade power without being corrupted by it. I'll go in to more of the backstory further down for anyone interested in a way to RP a hexblade/paladin in a way that seems to work with the story.

Anyways, I am currently a Paladin 2 Warlock 1, and trying to decide where to go next. I was originally planning on 6 paladin 14 warlock, going 1 paladin 1 hex 5 paladin then all hexblade, but it looks like this campaign is only going to go to about level 10 so I am not sure I want to wait that long for more hexblade levels.

So I am trying to decide which to take next. Paladin would get me more long rest slots and vengeance oath, and then I would probably go to the ASI (warcaster.) The other option is to go warlock to get invocations and a second short rest slot, then either go to 4 for ASI or go back to Paladin at that point.

I know the conventional wisdom is to race to 5 for extra attack asap, but I do have Booming blade so by the time I get extra attack BB will already be doubling my damage, making it less important.

Currently have Booming blade and Eldritch Blast as my cantrips, and Hex and Cause fear as my warlock spells. Using a longsword and shield to act as the parties main tank, with the other members being a glamour bard and a thief, with a cleric/warlock joining part time.

What would you guys do for a level order and spell/invocation selections?

You can stop there if you don't care about the backstory, but if you do, here is what I have written:

__________________________________________________ _
Abandoned at the monastery as an infant, Tyrien did not know his ancestry. Raised by the church, he was groomed as an undercover agent and muscle of the inquisition - hunting down heretics, apostates, cultists, and demon worshipers without remorse or compassion. One day at the end of a long hunt, he found himself confronting a demon itself, and barely survived the encounter. However, something awoke in him that day, a connection to divine magic he had not expected, and a hint at a heritage beyond human. With a new sense of purpose, he began training as a Paladin of the church, however he soon became disillusioned with the rigid dogma of the order, and did not believe that the divine alone would give him the power he needed to combat the evil he had witnessed. While working as an agent he had heard rumors of a weapon of extreme demonic power hidden deep in the locked archives of the church, and he decided that he needed to examine the weapon to learn how to defeat the evil he had seen. Breaking in to the vaults, he encountered the hexblade, and upon touching the cursed blade he found himself filled with a new found demonic power. He now searches the world for demons, fiends, and undead, hoping to wield the divine and the demonic powers together in order to destroy that which is evil, whatever the cost may be.

So far in the story as we adventure I have met several other colleagues in the inquisition who have made it very clear that they have a no tolerance policy for demonic influence - should be pretty interesting when the DM starts throwing that at me!

Chijinda
2019-02-11, 12:00 AM
Personally, with the 1 level dip in Warlock, I'd race to level 6 Paladin as quickly as possible, before levelling Warlock. You've already made Charisma your dominant stat for everything, so I'd push to the point you can add your Charisma modifier to all of your saves, as fast as possible, and the Extra attack is not shabby at all either. After that you can basically coast on you level 6 Paladin stuff for as long as you want to keep going Warlock.

Malifice
2019-02-11, 12:56 AM
My Hexblade/ Paladin is currently an [Ancients] Paladin 3/ Hexblade [Blade pact] 3.

He's a NG 1/2 Drow Paladin of Elistraee. Currently in Waterdeep looking for the Promenade of the Dark Maiden.

The Hexblade patron was simply fluffed as Elistraee (instead of the Raven Queen) who gifts Moonswords (silver swords that sing and glow with pale moonlight radiance when drawn) to her choosen followers.

You can use identical Fluff for a Faerunean Elven Moonblade weilder (simply take the Hexblade Patron). Your Pact weapon is a 'Moonblade'. The Accursed spectre ability at 6th level is simply re-fluffed as the 'Elfshadow', and the other powers are the Sword growing in power with the wielder (thirsting blade, improved pact weapon, eldritch smite, hexblades curse, hex warrior etc).