PDA

View Full Version : Kender Paladin Dex Build

krackenjack
2019-02-11, 01:22 AM
Starting a new 5e "Dragonlance" campaign, decided to make a Kender Paladin - because the party needs a moral compass and I thought doing that with a Kender would be fun!

His focus is on protecting others. Took the Oath of Redemption and Protection style. Rolled really well for Dex - decent for Str - so set up with a shield and rapier in light armor.

Increasingly feeling for flavor I should be using a hoopak - Kender's signature slingstaff/spear. Easy enough to make one up as a 1d6 piercing/bludgeon/ranged weapon, but not sure it works with my current set up.

I like the character, like the concept, like how he plays, so looking for feedback beyond "stuff the kender in a blender and make a real character."

1. Is there something I'm missing that would be a better rebuild for the concept, or to aim for when we level?

2. How do you make a hoopak reasonable as a bludgeoning, piercing, ranged, finesse, one-handed weapon?

3. Is there some way to make a polearm work for Protection? Would that destroy my AC?

Thanks!

GreyBlack
2019-02-11, 07:55 AM
Just remember that, without proficiency in thieves tools, you're not going to be any good at pickpocketing. And, if you're a kender, you're going to be doing that _all the time_

nickl_2000
2019-02-11, 07:58 AM
Just remember that, without proficiency in thieves tools, you're not going to be any good at pickpocketing. And, if you're a kender, you're going to be doing that _all the time_

Honest question, why do you need prof in thieves tool to be good at pickpocketing? Isn't pickpocketing usually just a sleight of hand check?

Edenbeast
2019-02-11, 08:15 AM
Love the concept :smallsmile:

"I'll protect you! Oh.. look what I found here.."

I think defence is probably a better fighting style if you go for the hoopak. There's a description of the Kender & Hoopak 5e (http://dragonlancenexus.com/rules/kender-hoopak-5e/) on Dragonlance Nexus, which could be useful (if you hadn't come across it already).

Definitely have Sleight of Hand as one of your skills, but don't overuse it though!

Jophiel
2019-02-11, 10:59 AM
Honest question, why do you need prof in thieves tool to be good at pickpocketing? Isn't pickpocketing usually just a sleight of hand check?
You shouldn't.

That said, Kender practice lockpicking as a cultural trait, considering locked doors to be an affront to curiosity. So if I was making a Kender, I'd definitely want the tool proficiency regardless.

Connington
2019-02-11, 02:52 PM
1. Is there something I'm missing that would be a better rebuild for the concept, or to aim for when we level?

I'd make sure to have proficiency in as many of Stealth, Sleight of Hand, and Thieves Tools as possible (and maybe Deception). A Kender Paladin who isn't a kleptomaniac but isn't Lawful Stupid and is willing to use indirect tactics honestly sounds like a fun, stereotype breaking, non-annoying character on multiple fronts.

2. How do you make a hoopak reasonable as a bludgeoning, piercing, ranged, finesse, one-handed weapon?

Honestly, a spear is 3 lb and 1 gp, a sling is 1 sp and doesn't even have a weight. I'd combine the two and ask your DM if this could count as a Finesse weapon. If it requires Martial Weapon Proficiency, it's not any better than a rapier as long as it doesn't qualify for Polearm Master. Combining PAM + Finesse would is a little closer to broken, although Monks can do it. The GM should let you use it as a Staff for bludgeoning damage without much issue though. The distinction between bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage is almost vestigial in 5e.

3. Is there some way to make a polearm work for Protection? Would that destroy my AC?

Staff/Spear (1H) + Shield is a valid combo.

Chronos
2019-02-11, 02:55 PM
Just a reminder: A lot of people consider it fun to play a kender. But very few people consider it fun to play with a kender. Your fun is not the only relevant factor.

SirGraystone
2019-02-11, 03:04 PM

Hoopak should melee like a quarterstaff or a spear depending if you a pointy end or not so 1d6 bludgeoning or piercing (with versatile 1d8), ranged like a sling 1d4 bludgeoning at 30/120. Can be used one handed if prefer but I don't see a good reason to have it a finesse weapon. As a paladin use a short sword.

Edenbeast
2019-02-12, 04:46 AM
Staff/Spear (1H) + Shield is a valid combo.

That may be, but then you won't be able to use the hoopak for ranged attacks, for which you need a free hand. I think defensive combat style to gain extra AC is the better way to go to keep the versatility of the hoopak. Or have a shield as back-up.

MadBear
2019-02-12, 10:41 AM
1. Playing a Kender can absolutely be fun in a group, if the PC in question isn't screwing over their fellow PC's all the time. Heck, I can see unimportant things being taken by the kender, but the PC making sure to never steal something of actual value (beside who cares about those gold coins of which there are thousands of copies of, when I can still this unique looking trinket I found in your bag).

2. Also, you don't really need to actively steal from your PC, as the "Kender Pockets" trait gives you a good way to represent the Kenders sticky fingers without taking up absurd amounts of time in session.

3. With Taunt, a kender paladin will be a formidable tank.

krackenjack
2019-02-12, 01:55 PM
Thanks all!

Yes, have Thieves Tools and Sleight of Hand through backgrounds. Already used it the first session to shame the town's governor for not living up to the ideals of his position while lifting his purse so we could check for clues later.

Is the D&D Nexus post official? Found a lot of homebrew but it seemed easier to build them as Halflings-plus-taunt.

I agree that Defense as a style would be more "useful", but Protection fits the character better. Everything else I'm just trying to make work for flavor.