PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Level 4 "Exorcist"

Maleficarum
2019-02-11, 05:38 AM
A while ago, I was going to play my first game of D&D in two consecutive one-shots. Unfortunately, those one-shots never transpired. Now, this forever DM gets a third chance at playing! I decided I want to play something Exorcist-adjacent; I gravitate toward support builds, especially battlefield control. I'm drawing inspiration from darker sources: those individuals comfortable consorting with foul spirits to repudiate the phenomenally vile. Basically, John Constantine.

However, I'm plagued by indecision. Which class offers the most immersive experience? Presently, I'm contemplating:
Cleric: Divine magic suits an Exorcist, as do spells like Bane; Bless; Command; Protection from Evil and Good; Sanctuary; Warding Bond. Moreover, the Cleric can abjure Undead. While the Cleric certainly fits the mould, I'm curious if it's possible to play a Cleric inspired by Eastern philosophies.
Sorcerer: Charisma is as integral to exorcisms as knowledge and wisdom. The Divine Soul bloodline offers rich story potential, especially if paired with a subversive affinity. However, Sorcerers aren't blessed with spell slot abundance; moreover, the thematic spells are sourced from the Cleric list. That doesn't necessarily prohibit Sorcerers, as I can easily imagine someone who attempts to rebuke foul spirits using their natural presence. Metamagic affords Sorcerers some appreciable versatility, which might prove fruitful when executed using Cleric spells.
Warlock: At level 4, a Warlock only has 2 spell slots and 2 Invocations. Frankly, I'm wary to consider a Warlock mechanically; thematically, the Warlock is enticing. I'm intrigued by the idea of someone propitiating an extradimensional entity to acquire the requisite powers for exorcisms. The Celestial and Great Old One patrons seem suitable, but the shortage of spell slots is concerning.
Wizard: An Abjuration Wizard seems complementary to an Exorcist build—thematically. The ward isn't crucial to this build, which is why I'm also considering a Conjuration or Necromancy Wizard. Unlike Sorcerers, Wizards epitomize versatility, excelling at battlefield control. However, Wizards lack spells like Bane and Command. Their high Intelligence makes for an intellectual Exorcist, someone who consults tomes rather than forcefully engaging spirits.

Ultimately, my instinct is to build a Cleric; specifically, a Grave or Knowledge Cleric. Should I crystallize the Cleric, or do the other enumerated classes offer potential I've missed?

Unoriginal
2019-02-11, 06:14 AM
I mean, if you want a Constantine-like character, then Warlock's the best way thematically and mechanically, from what I saw.

I mean, sure, DC wizards don't have the X-spells-per-rest limitation of D&D, but "Use at-will, reliable-but-not-ultra-powerful magic most of the time and sometime throw a big spell that's more difficult/costly" fits Constantine pretty well.

opaopajr
2019-02-11, 07:47 AM
Honestly, I'd talk with my GM to see if he will allow an 'Exorcist' variant of the Acolyte background and be done with it. :smallsmile: The roleplay is mostly on you, partially expressed in-setting by your Background. Everything else is just power widgets, not characterization.

I would let you run an Acolyte variant (Like Sailor has a Pirate variant). :smallcool: Swap out Insight for Intimidation. Swap out a Language for the ability Ritual: Holy Water (as per Item chapter rules, one hour ritual + 25 gp silver dust, done by cleric or paladin).

Ta-dah! Done. Then play any class you want. :smallsmile:

RogueJK
2019-02-11, 08:01 AM
Warlock: At level 4, a Warlock only has 2 spell slots and 2 Invocations. Frankly, I'm wary to consider a Warlock mechanically... the shortage of spell slots is concerning.

Keep in mind that it's 2 spell slots per short rest. Every other caster class refreshes spell slots on a long rest.

Considering you're usually going to have ~2-3 short rests per day, that gives the Warlock ~6-8 spell slots per day.

Also, the Warlock's spell slots are always at their highest spell level. So that's ~6-8 spell slots at your highest level, whereas every other caster has their spell slots spread out among their various spell levels, and only ever has up to 3 spell slots at their highest level each day.

So it's a different way of thinking about spells, and it does require some planning, but it's not necessarily weaker. And it's not like you're having to eke out each day with only two spells, unless your DM is just doing short rests wrong.

Considering Constantine is a spellcaster who literally sold his soul to the Devil, I think Warlock fits nicely. I'd go Pact of the Tome and take the Book of Ancient Secrets invocation, which gets you access to every Ritual spell. (More spells, and they don't cost spell slots.)

Otherwise, Grave Cleric would fit an Exorcist well.

Dualswinger
2019-02-11, 09:46 AM
If you want the "Aesthetics" of Constantine, then yes, Warlock.

But IMO if you want a true "Exorcist" style character, my vote would be for Arcane Cleric from SCAG. It allows you to use your "Turn Undead" on pretty much anything that's not mortal. Fey, Fiends, Celestials, as well as break enchantments for that "RELEASE YOUR HOLD ON THIS VESSEL" moment.